First day of School

Dream High – Class of 2007

“Hey guys. I think the new celebrity teacher is wonder girls Yubin!! I’m so excited!!” Jimin ran into her classroom to inform her classmates of the latest news in JYPFSA.

“Really? How do you know?” Yerin, the cool girl asked.

“I took a peep at the Teacher’s staff room. Heehee.. ” Jimin admitted.

“Finally! My dream teacher has arrived!” JR exclaimed dreamily.

“I wonder what modules she’s gonna be teaching us…” Ayeon the matured one wondered aloud.

“Maybe hip hop?” JB, the bubbly one guessed.

“I heard she’s also taking over Sunye sunsaeng-nim for some of the song-writing classes.” Jaehyung the tall spectacled boy added his share of hearsay rumors.

 Yubin looked at the class schedule given to her earlier as she walked towards the direction of classroom 202. As she approached the familiar classroom, memories of her past flowed in, bringing a smile to her face as she recalled the fun times she had with her classmates years ago in that particular classroom.

 Few days ago, she visited a very pregnant Sunye who handed over some of her lesson notes for the song-writing classes. Noticing a rather tired-looking Yubin, Sunye spoke up. “Unni, this can be a turning point for you. Teaching these kids can be really inspirational. They can be tough to handle at times but once you get to know them, you will find yourself mesmerized by their hidden talents and it will make you want to take up the challenge to perfect their skills. You need this kind of inspiration now. I understand it’s not easy to get past a relationship so easily, not to mention yours is a 7 year long one. And I’m telling you, you made a right choice in taking up this teaching job. It’ll definitely help you in some way.”

As expected from Docu-Min Sunye, the mother and leader of her group, giving Yubin a piece of advice but the slight mention of Yubin’s recent break-up was just not necessary. Yeeun and Lim who lived with Yubin would have stopped bringing up anything related to Taec or her relationship break-up by now knowing how Yubin was easily annoyed by the mention of these subjects. Though it had been a month since she and Taec broke up, she was still upset at his “I just need space” excuse for a break-up. It was an excuse she found it so LAME she decided to give him so much space she made sure she was really non-existent in his life.

Of course Yubin did not blame Sunye for bringing up the break up matter and she leaned over to hug her dear leader, wishing the mother-to-be all the best on her journey of giving birth.

Back in the school, Yubin took a deep breath before entering the classroom. She strolled in with a friendly smile and nod which she always naturally displayed when coming across fans. She was after all dressed like herself, the normal airport fashion way. A nice casual shirt and skinny grey jeans matched with a pair of high-heeled leather boots. Her classroom was filled with those star-struck eyes staring back at her.

“Please stand up and greet our teacher!” a chubby bright-eyed girl stood up suddenly and announced to the class. Yubin guessed that the girl must be the class president.

“Good Morning, Sunsaeng-nim!” The class greeted as routine, standing up to bow at Yubin.

Yubin was really not used to such formality. Even in her old days in school, she was a true misfit, the one who lazily greeted every teacher with a half- attitude.

“Aish.. no need to greet me this formally!” she waved her hands to get the kids to sit down quickly while she jumped and sat herself on top of her desk, crossing her legs coolly to get a good look at her students.

The chubby class monitor put up her hand and Yubin guessed she must have a question. She nodded to let the girl speak.

“Sunsaeng-nim, if we don’t greet you this way, how do we greet you? We greet all our teachers this way. It’s a classroom rule.” The girl asked.

“Hmm…” Yubin wondered and just felt she had to be different because back in her days, she was against almost every school system or rule. “Let’s just throw this classroom rule away only for my class, shall we? I just prefer my students to greet me like I’m their friend.”

Her students stared at her wondering if she was joking. Then Yubin pointed to a skinny handsome boy. “You there! What’s your name?”

The skinny boy nervously replied “Jinyoung, Park Jinyoung…” and then he caught himself when his fellow classmates roared in laughter at him for disclosing his real name which was the same as the music legend, founder and principal of the school. “I mean.. JR. People call me JR.”

Yubin stopped herself from joining in the laughter as she smiled at JR sweetly and said “Nice to meet you, JR. I’m Yubin.”

JR found his body and heart weakened at her greeting as his classmates all started teasing him. The class got slightly rowdy and Yubin clapped her hands to get them to listen up.

“Ok, guys! So now I want you guys to be as casual as you can in my class, ok?” Yubin stated. “Because this class is about song-writing and when writing lyrics, you need to let yourself FREE, get it?”

Loud cheers and whistles and claps surrounded the classroom and she even heard someone said “Yubin is as cool as she is onscreen! This is daebak!”

----

Flashback 2006: Back to the days when we were young and wild and free..

JYP Foundation School of Arts - Year 2006

Yubin walked into the classroom where a few kids were already seated and were staring at her blatantly. She did not mind the stares. She was after all the new kid anyway. She moved towards the back of the classroom to look for a possible empty table. She picked one on the last 2nd row but before she could sit down, a fair pretty girl with warning eyes stopped her.

“That seat belongs to someone.” She warned and Yubin just shrugged and pointed to another empty desk nearby to check if that desk was available. The girl just shrugged and Yubin assumed the spot was fine for her. Yubin threw her backpack on top of the desk and lay her head to rest on the bag as she sat down, not bothering to mingle with her classmates yet. She stayed up late last night watching some scary movie and did not have enough sleep so a short 5-min nap should be fine.

After seeing Hyuna telling that tanned looking skinny girl to stay away from the desk that belonged to Sohee, Yeeun, the brainy class president-wannabe asked Sunmi the 4D girl next to her. “Who’s the new kid?”

“I heard she’s just transferred here. Another American-born Korean perhaps?” Sunmi offered her guess to Yeeun.

“Hmm, well, if she’s American, she isn’t a very friendly one eh?” Yeeun noted and shook her head. “Sleeping in class already on her first day of school? Tsk, tsk..”

Just then the class adjourned when the teacher arrived in the class. Yubin woke up and followed the class routine in greeting the teacher who was known as Mr. Kim, before sitting back down. As the male teacher arranged his books on his table, a tall kid came running into the class.

“Sorry, sunsaeng-nim! Sorry I’m late. Someone stole my alarm clock and I woke up late. I’m not late on purpose!” The tall kid begged for forgiveness in such an uncool way Yubin felt sorry for him. He wore a pair of ugly-looking frameless glasses and his Dopey ears added more points for being uncool.

“It’s fine, Taecyeon. You can go to your seat now.” Teacher Kim easily excused him and the boy bowed repeatedly in appreciation. When he found Mr Kim looking down at his teaching notes, Taecyeon grinned and did a quiet homie handshake with another dude seated in the front row before he walked down the aisle towards his desk.

 As Taecyeon headed to his desk, he realized someone new was occupying his seat. She was a tanned-looking girl with a long fringe covering most of her eyes but he was still able to see that she was staring blankly at him. He stared back at her as well. Not in a rude way but in a curious way. Why was this new girl sitting at his desk?  As Taecyeon reached just beside her, she still sat staring back at him and he wasn’t sure if she understood she was sitting at his place.

Taecyeon then turned to Teacher Kim. “Sunsaeng-nim!” he called out and Mr. Kim looked up from his notes and found Taecyeon still not seated. Taecyeon pointed at the strange girl sitting at his place and Mr. Kim looked intently at Yubin and suddenly remembered.

“Oh Yes! We have a new student transferred in today. You are Yubin, right?” Teacher Kim gestured Yubin to come forward to the front of the class and she knew it was self-introduction time.

Yubin stood up slowly, took a quick glance at the tall dude before pushing his body slightly away to walk towards the front of the class.

“Yubin, please introduce yourself to the class.” Mr. Kim probed and Yubin nodded.

“Annyeonghaseyo, My name is Kim Yubin. Thank you for having me.” Yubin bowed to her classmates with her short and sweet introduction but Mr. Kim was not satisfied.

“Well, tell the class where you are from, Yubin.” Mr Kim asked.

“I was born in Gwangju…” Yubin added and stopped.

“Hmm.. but it states here you used to live in San Jose in the US recently?” Mr. Kim noted from her file.

“Then I think Sunsaeng-nim obviously knows me well enough so there’s no need for me to introduce myself further?” Yubin asked and in no way meant to be sarcastic. Just that she was one of a few words when it came to personal self-introduction and she wanted to get back to her desk quickly. But it seemed the class took it differently as they responded with “wows” and some cheers thinking she did a sarcastic throwback at their teacher.

“Ya! Ya! Ya!” Teacher Kim slammed his hand on his desk, warning the class to quiet down.

------------------  End of Flashback ----------------

A/N: Thanks for subscribing!!