Hospital Visit

Righteousness & Honesty

 

Yuri’s

            We were in a train station. I still couldn’t believe my own impulse last night. I just went to her house without planning on anything. Thank God the cake shop on the train station was still open, so I didn’t barge into her house without bringing anything. What surprised me was how her family welcomed me. I was really glad about it.

            “Yuri-ah, why your mom wants to see me?” she asked me when we’re on the train, sitting side by side.

            “Umm.. I don’t really know, she just said that she wants to meet you.”

            I couldn’t possibly tell her that my mom wanted to meet the girl who had my heart, could I?

            “Oh... okay.”

            Not long after that, she started to doze off. Seeing her uncomfortable position, I put her head on my shoulder. I smiled to myself, enjoying this precious moment with her.

            But........... we’re not together. Honestly, I wanted to tell her that I still love her. Last night, I wanted to ask her to be my girlfriend again. But somehow I got scared. What if she didn’t love me back? What if she had found happiness with that girl in the States?

            I looked down and I caught something on her wrist. Was that the bracelet I gave her on our first anniversary? She still wore it? Or was it another bracelet that looked exactly like it? I tried to touch it to examine it better, but then she stirred and slowly awake. She sat up quickly and pulled her head away as soon she realized that her head was resting on my shoulder.

            “Uh... sorry.” She said. I could see a hint of red on her cheeks. Gaaaaah she’s adorable!   

            I couldn’t help to smile, “It’s okay. You haven’t change a bit, Sica-ah. You still can doze off in an instant.”  

            She yawned groggily, “You haven’t change too, Yuri-ah. Still as beautiful as ever.”

            She widened her eyes, realizing what she just blurted out and instantly she blushed. She looked away from me, trying to hide her embarrassment. She’s too adorable!!

            I couldn’t help to grin widely.

            She finally looked at me again, “Why are you smiling like that?”

            “Because you’re too damn adorable!” I pinched her cheek.

            She slapped my arm playfully and we joked around until we arrived at our destination. 

            She made me fall in love with her over and over again.

 

            We took a taxi to go to the hospital. When we arrived, she had this questioning look on her face.

            We were entering the hospital and I led her the way to my mom’s room. 

            “Yuri-ah, why are we on the hospital? Aren’t we supposed to go to your house?”

            “My mom is here, Sica-ah.”

            “Huh? Your mom is a doctor?”

            I smiled at her naïve assumption.

            “No. She’s.... been hospitalized.”

            She looked surprised, “Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that.”

            She stayed silent when we rode the elevator. But then she asked again, “Is it okay I come visit her?”

            “It’s fine. She’s getting better and I guess meeting you would make her even healthier.” I gave her a genuine smile.

            She smiled back nervously at me. Was she nervous to meet my mom? Goodness, could she be more adorable?

            “Hey, don’t be nervous.” I held her hand as we exited the elevator.

            Wait, did I just hold her hand?! I looked down at our clasped hands and blushed. Again, I couldn’t believe my own impulse! I guess my hands got mind of their own, didn’t they?

            Surprisingly, she didn’t let go of my hand either. I looked up at her and it was evident that she’s also blushing madly as she stared at our hands.

            I instantly let go of her hand and walked in front of her as if nothing happened. Argh stupid me! She’s not my girlfriend!

            When we arrived in front of the room, I knocked it before turning the doorknob.

            “Mom?” I stepped inside the room with Jessica still trailed behind me. 

            I scanned the room. My mom was on her bed, my dad was sitting on the couch, and my brother was nowhere in sight.

            “Hey, my daughter’s back.” She smiled at me.

            “Hi, mom.” I walked toward her. “Umm... mom, dad.. this is Jessica.” I stepped sideway so she could see Jessica.

            “Good afternoon, Mrs. Kwon.” She bowed to my mom then turned to bowed to my dad who was now standing on his feet, “Good afternoon, Mr. Kwon.”

            “Well hello there, Jessica.” My mom smiled at her while my dad just stood awkwardly before he replied to Jessica, “Good afternoon to you too.”

            My mom motioned Jessica to come closer and sit on a chair beside the bed.

            “I’ve been wanting to meet you, dear.”

            Jessica just smiled in return. I could tell she’s still nervous.

            “I... I leave you girls to chat, okay? I’ll be on the cafeteria if you need me.” My dad announced and he left. He was not the friendliest person on earth, but he was acting pretty weird just now.  

            I shrugged if off and about to sit on the edge of my mom’s bed.

            “Yuri-ah, I think you need to join your father.” And left Jessica alone with you?

            “Why?”

            “Well I explained to him yesterday when you left. He was... okay about it, I think. But I guess you still need to talk to him.”

            “Oh... but...” I looked at Jessica hesitantly.

            “I won’t bite your girlf-... your friend here.” My mom said, understanding my hesitation to leave.

            Jessica smiled at me assuring me to go.

            “Well..... okay.” I reluctantly went to the door. Before I left, I looked back at my mom again.

            “Mom, just.. don’t-”

            “Jessica is safe with me, dear. Don’t worry.” My mom smiled at me. I looked at Jessica again and she was also smiling at me.            

            I finally left the room to look for my dad. Hopefully my mom wouldn’t do funny things to Jessica.

 

 

Jessica’s

            I was so damn nervous! But I also felt curious. So when her mom asked her to talk to her dad and left the two of us alone, rather than making her stay, I smiled at her showing her that it was okay to leave me with her mom.

            Finally she left with worried eyes and I gave her another assuring smile.

            “So, Jessica, I’ve been wanting to meet you.” Her mom said in a gentle voice.           

            “Yes, Yuri told me. But I’m kinda surprised. She... she didn’t tell me you’re hospitalized.”

            “Ah, she didn’t?”

            I shook my head.

            “I guess she didn’t tell you about my sickness also?”

            I shook my head again.

            “Well I got cancer. But miraculously, the doctors said I’m getting better. It’s really a rare case.” She smiled.

            “Oh, wow. That’s really great to hear, Mrs. Kwon.” I smiled at her.

            “Yes, yes it is.” We exchanged smile for a little while before she started asking me about some general things. I couldn’t believe she’s the same person who used to be against her daughter’s ual orientation. Well I guess people do change for the better.

            “Mrs. Kwon, if you don’t mind. I actually have something to ask you.”

            “Ask away, dear.”

            “Mmmm... why did you make me promise to take good care of Yuri?”

            She chuckled at my question, “Because obviously you are someone really important to her.”

            My heart skipped a beat hearing her reply. But.... shouldn’t that kind of promise was meant for her boyfriend?

            “Mrs. Kwon, I did promise to take good care of her. But, we lived in a different country and she.... has a boyfriend in Japan. Not that I mind, but wouldn’t it be more.... right if you ask that to her boyfriend instead?” I finally asked the question I’ve been dreading about.

            She looked confused, “My daughter has a boyfriend?”

            Uh-oh, she didn’t know? “Umm.. yeah I saw their picture on her social media.”

            The confused look was gone and replaced by a smile.

            “Kids these days...” She shook her head.

            Now I was the one who’s having a confused look.

            “You really believe in what you see on her social media?”

            I just looked at her for a brief moment, “Well she does look happy in the picture.” I finally answered dejectedly.

            “You and Yuri are just the same. You girls believe social media too easily.”

            Before I could open my mouth to ask her what she meant, there was a knocking sound and a nurse came in.

            “Mrs. Kwon, it’s time for your daily check up.”    

 

 

Yuri’s

         I left the room and went to the cafeteria to meet my dad. He was sitting with a coffee on his hand, lost in his thought.

            I approach his table and sit in front of him, “Hey, dad.”

            He looked up at me, returning from his deep thought, “Oh hey.”

            We sat in silent. How should I start?

            “You want coffee or something?” he asked, breaking the awkward atmosphere.

            “No, I’m fine, dad.”

            We fell into silence again.

            “Um.. dad?”

            “Yes?”

            “Mom told you about.... about me.... yesterday, didn’t she?”

            He stiffened, “Uh.. yeah.”

            He strayed his gaze elsewhere, not looking at me. He didn’t look mad or anything. I really couldn’t tell what my dad was thinking.

            “Are you... okay with it, dad?”

            “I guess...” he guessed? This was really confusing.

            I didn’t know what to say, neither did he. So we just stayed quiet.

            “I’m... I’m sorry, Yuri-ah. I just never thought that you would turn out like this.” Finally he said something. I didn’t say anything and just looked at him. What was I supposed to say anyway?

            “To be honest, the most difficult thing for a father to do is when they have to hand their daughter to her husband. But now, with you being.... gay..... I think I just need to..... adjust myself.”

            I nodded, trying to understand why he needed time to accept this. As you might know, my family was a little bit stiff and uptight. My dad was not traumatic like my mom, but he’s old-fashioned. So I guess he needed time to accustomed himself to the modern world, meaning = her daughter destined for another woman.

            I held his hand on the table, “I understand, dad. Thank you.” I gave him a sincere smile.

            He nodded and gave me a small smile. With that, I knew we understand each other.    

 

            When we were about to go back to my mom’s room, we saw a nurse just entered her room. We trailed behind her and turned out it was time for my mom’s daily check-up.

            Jessica was standing near the bed. She looked a little bit confused.

            “Is it time for your daily check up?” my dad asked as he also entered the room.

            “Hey. Yes, it is.”

            The nurse was busy preparing things as the doctor would come soon.

            “Emm.... Mrs. Kwon, I think it’s time for me to leave.” Jessica said. She’s leaving already?

            “Oh? Why so soon, dear?”

            “Actually I need to go back to the State tomorrow.” She answered.

            “Tomorrow?!”

            She nodded at me, “I got exams and stuff right after New Year’s day. So I need to prepare.”

            Unconsciously I frowned hearing that she’s going away sooner than I thought.

            “How about you, Yuri-ah? Don’t the office needs you back there?” she asked.

            “They told me I could stay here as long as I need. I’m planning to stay until my mom can be release from the hospital.” I sat on the edge of my mom’s bed.

            My mom smiled at me. My dad just sat on the couch, listening to us. Suddenly the doctor came in.

            “Hello, Mrs. Kwon! How are you doing today?”

            “Hey, doc. I’m feeling much much better.” My mom smiled brightly.

            We all smiled hearing her reply.

            “I guess it’s time for me to go now.” Jessica said.

            “Ah okay then. It’s nice meeting you, Jessica. Thank you very much for visiting me.” They shared a hug. I smiled widely looking at their interaction.

            After she bid goodbye to my dad, we went outside the room.

            “So, what did you and my mom talk about?”

            “Just some stuff.....” She looked at me and smiled playfully, “and you.”

            “Me?” I pointed at myself stupidly.

            She chuckles, “What else would we talk about?”

            I grinned at her response. 

            We walked in silent to the taxi line. I was standing beside her when she looked at me and said, “What are you doing?”

            I gave her a puzzling look, “Um.. queuing to get a taxi?”

            “You’re staying here.”

            “Huh? I’m taking you back home.”

            “No, you’re not. I can go back by myself, Yuri-ah.”

            “But-”

            “Your mom needs you.”

            “She’ll be fine. My dad’s here. My brother will come soon also. Besides, it’ll only take a couple of hours.”

            “4 long hours for you to travel back and forth.” She looked at me sternly. I looked back at her, not wanting to let her go back by herself.

            “Yeah, but...” I wanted to spend more time with you!     

            “Really, Yuri-ah, I’ll be fine. You don’t have to accompany me back home.” She caressed my upper arm with her hand and smiled that oh-so-loving smile at me.

            Ooookay, how could I say no to her now?                 

            I heaved a sigh, “You sure?”

            She nodded confidently. I couldn’t help to smile at her.

            Honestly, I didn’t want to part with her just yet. Hell, I wanted to be with her forever! There were still a lot of things I want to say to her, but I guess now was not the right time.