Christmas

Righteousness & Honesty

 

Hi, guys! I know Christmas is still very far away and no matter how much I want to update this chapter near Christmas, I just can't let you guys wait that long~  hehe 

So here it is! Hope you like it :)

 

 

Enjoy!  

 

 


 

 

 

Yuri’s

            My family spent Christmas Eve on the hospital. The nurses let my dad and big brother to stay until midnight. I, of course insisted to stay. Ever since I was here, I never spent a night in my own house, I only went to my house to take a shower and I went back to the hospital instantly.

            Miraculously, my mom’s condition was getting better. The doctor said it was possible, but highly unlikely for cancer patients.

            My mom didn’t want us to told anybody that she was sick and now she was getting better, she made a point that it was right not to tell anybody about her sickness. Even her sister didn’t know.

            I told my friends that I was back for a couple of days. They wanted to meet up but it’s impossible to find the right timing because I didn’t want to leave my mom and they’re also busy with their jobs and all.

            Christmas Day, my dad and brother went back early in the morning to the hospital. We spent the whole day inside the hospital room with my mom, watching TV, playing games, and just basically talked to each other. I never felt so close with my family before.

            When evening came, we gathered around my mom’s bed and watched TV. It was a nice atmosphere until my mom asked me something.

            “Yuri-ah, is Jessica in the country for Christmas?”

            My dad and big brother turned their attention to us. Of course, they must have remembered who ‘Jessica’ was.

            I just nodded and stayed my gaze on TV. 

            “Don’t you want to meet her?” my mom asked again.

            “No.” I answered her simply. Honestly, after our short conversation on the phone last week, we haven’t contacted each other. The thought of her with someone else prevented me to do so. Although my mom had accepted my ual orientation now, didn’t mean I could get back together with her just like that, right? I saw how happy she was now through the pictures on her social media. I couldn’t just come back to her life and ruined everything.

            “Why not? You told me you still love her.”

            By this time, my dad and brother had lost in our conversation. They looked at us wondering what the hell we’re talking about. 

            “Well... it’s not that simple, mom. She.... moved on already.”

            “How did you know that? Did she tell you that?” my mom asked again.

            “She just looked so happy on the pictures in her social media.” I answered solemnly.   

            My mom scoffed, “I accepted that my daughter is gay, but I won’t ever accept you as a fool, dear.”

            I finally turn my head to look at my mom, “What’s that supposed to mean, mom?”

            “Social media can be deceiving, Yuri-ah. Don’t believe in everything you see and make your own assumption.”

            She had a point there. What if the girl in the picture was not her girlfriend? What if they were just roommates? What if she still hasn’t moved on already? What if she..... still loves me?

            I stood up abruptly, “Mom, is it okay if I..... if I go to her house now?”

            My mom smiled at me, “I might need to force you to do that if you didn’t ask, dear.”

            I smiled back at her.

            “Whoa, wait wait wait. What’s this about?” my dad finally spoke up.

            My mom and I looked at each other. 

            She took my hand, “You go now. I’ll talk to your father.”

            I smiled at my mom again.

            “No, wait. Yuri-ah, explain it yourself.” my dad spoke again. He didn’t look mad, but confused instead.

            “She doesn’t have the time, hon. Just let her go, I explain everything to you. Hyukjun-ah, why don’t you drive your sister to the station?”

            He stood up even though he was also confused but grabbed the car key and headed toward the door.

            I hugged my mom and waved to my dad who was still in a confused state.

            It was a silent ride in the car. He didn’t ask me about my conversation with my mom.

            “Hyukjun Oppa?”

            “Mmmm?” he had his eyes fixed on the road.

            “I... I haven’t asked your opinion about it.”

            “About what?”

            “About me..... being gay.”

            He didn’t answer me for some time, as if thinking what’s the best answer he could give me.

            “My opinion shouldn’t matter. It’s your life, Yuri-ah. I don’t have the rights to control your life.” He looked at me briefly and smiled, “It’s not like I’m mom.” And he joked.

            We laughed at his remarked.   

            When we arrived at the station, I thanked him for driving me here.

            “Call me when you want to be pick up, okay?”

            “Okay. Thank you, Oppa.” I gave him a hug before I went out of the car. We might be not that close, but now I knew that he had my back. 

 

 

 

Jessica’s

         “Waaah, I’m full! Thank you very much for the lovely Christmas dinner, mom.” I said as I rubbed my stomach, showing how contented I am.

            “You are very much welcome, honey.” My mom smiled at me.

            My family and I were just finishing our dinner at our house. I got a year-end break and I came home for Christmas.

            I was happy I could spend time with my family. It’s been a long time I haven’t seen them also. But it seemed no matter what I do or where I am, my mind would always think about that one particular person. Especially with the event that happened last week, where her mom made me promise to take care of her daughter.

            I wanted to ask her about it badly, why suddenly her mom wanted me to make such a promise, but somehow I didn’t have the guts to call her again or even text her. I guess that picture of her and that guy made me reluctant to contact her.

            But..... why did her mom asked me to take care of her if she had that guy already? Gaaaaah, I need an answer!

            My mom started to collect our used plates and utensils before my dad said, “Girls, why don’t you help your mother clean the dishes?”

            “Yes, dad.” I took the plates from my mom’s hands and smiled at her. My little sister reluctantly collected the other utensils too.

            DING DONG! Suddenly the bell door rings.

            My dad was about to get up, but my sister beat him to it, “I’ll get it!”

            “So, Jessica what are you going to do after you got your master degree?” my dad asked me. 

            “I’m going to look for a job, of course, dad.”

            “In the states or here?” my mom asked.

            Neither, I want to look for a job in Japan.

            Instead of giving them a reply that was on my head, I gave them an answer that wouldn’t make me need to explain more, “Both.”

            Before they could say anything, my little sister entered the dining room. She had this broad smile on her face.

            “Unnie, someone is looking for you.”

            “Me?”

            “Yup.” She took the plates from my hands.

            “Who is it?” I asked her.

            “Just see for yourself.”

            I gave her a questioning look, my parents did the same, but she just nudged me to go the door. So I went to the front door of our house. 

            I COULDN’T BELIEVE MY EYES. But I do believe in Christmas miracle now.

            The person I was longing for all this time was standing in front of me.

            “Yu-Yuri?”

            She smiled sheepishly at me, “Hi, Jessica. Merry Christmas.”

            “Ah, Merry Christmas.” I replied to her.

            It seemed like we stood there for eternity, just looking at each other eyes.

            Was she really in front of me right now? Was this real? Or was I imagining things?

            She fidgeted on her spot and I snapped back to my senses.

            “Uh, come on in.”

            I ushered her to our living room.

            “Oh, I bought this for your family.” She gave me a box of cake and I accepted them absent-mindedly. Did she carry this before? How come I didn’t notice at all? I guess her appearance itself was already a distraction for me.

            “Thank you.” I put the cake on the table and we sat on the couch.

            We grew silent and somehow I was really nervous. This was really sudden. I never expect her to be here, in my house, at the most special day of the year.

            I had so many questions for her, so which one should I asked first?

            “So, ummm.... why are you here, Yuri-ah?” wait, that’s not the question I wanted to ask her the most. It was not even in my important questions list for her.

            “Well... I... remembered that you said you’re going to come home for Christmas and.... well... I just want to.... I want to...................... uh..... I just want to say Merry Christmas to you.” 

            She came all the way to my house, which was 2 hours away by train from her house just to say ‘Merry Christmas’ to me? Seriously, even though it sounded a little bit ridiculous, but I couldn’t help to squeal inside.

            All of a sudden, my parents along with my little sister came into the living room. Yuri instantly stood up and bowed to them, “Merry Christmas, Mr. & Mrs. Jung.”

            “Merry Christmas to you too.” My parents said to her and then they looked at me. I told them many times about Yuri, about our past relationship. But they never really met her before.

            I stood up also and formally introduce her to them, “Mom, dad, this is Kwon Yuri. My.....uh..... my old housemate from college.”

            “Ah, yes. I remember. Jessica told us a lot about you.” My dad said and offered his hand to be shaken by Yuri. I blushed. He really needed to say that?

            My mom surprisingly took a step closer and gave her a hug while my little sister just stood behind my dad and smiled teasingly at me.

            “It’s nice finally meeting you, Yuri-ah.”

            Yuri awkwardly hugged her back, “Ah, it was nice meeting you too, Mrs. Jung.”

            They pulled apart and the next thing my mom said got my eyes widen, “So, are you going to stay over for the night?”

            Yuri looked more perplexed, “Huh? I....”

            “As I remember, Jessica told me you live quite far away from here, right? It’s really getting late anyway.” My dad said.

            “You can use Jessica’s clothes. Right, dear?”

            The only thing I could do was nod awkwardly.

            “O-okay then.” I heard Yuri said. She was going to spend the night in my house?!             

           

            I was in my room, taking some clothes. I still couldn’t believe what happen. Yuri was in the guest room in my house! She was so close and this was the perfect opportunity to talk to her and to ask her so many questions. But somehow I felt nervous and I didn’t know what to say or even do when I was in front of her.

            Suddenly my little sister entered my room.

            “Sooooooooo, that’s the famous Kwon Yuri, huh? Or should I call her, Jung Jessica’s love of her life?” she said teasingly.

            “Shut up.” I ignored her and took one of my loose t-shirt for Yuri to use.

            “Are you getting back together with her?”

            I heaved a sigh, “No.”

            “Huh? Then what is she doing here?”

            Did Yuri really come all the way here just to say ‘Merry Christmas’ to me?

            I heaved another sigh, “I don’t know.” 

            “Well then you better found out, Unnie.” She winked at me playfully and head outside my room.

            She was about to close my door when she said, “Oh, don’t worry, I won’t tell mom and dad you sleep in the same room with your ex-girlfriend tonight.”

            “I’m not going to!” I blushed and managed to glare at her before she dashed to her own room. I heard her laugh along the way.

            I let out another sigh before I went to the guest room. Why was I feeling so nervous like this? Geez! Courage, where the hell did you go?!

            I knocked on the door and I heard her oh-so-gentle voice from inside, “Come in.”

            She stood up from the bed as I walked into the room.

            “Here, you can use it for the night.” I handed her my clothes.

            “Thank you, Sica-ah. I’m really sorry I disturbed you and your family like this.”

            “It’s okay, Yuri-ah. You’re welcome here anytime.” I gave her a sincere smile.

            We stood there, smiling at each other.

            “Umm... actually I wanted to tell you something and you’re the first person I want to know.”

            “What is it?”

            She had this broad smile on her face, “My mom. She.. she accept my ual orientation.”

            I didn’t know what came to me, but I jumped at her and hugged her.

            “Oh my God! I’m happy for you, Yuri-ah.”

            For a second, I just realized what I did and about to pull away, but then she wrapped her arms around me, hugging me back for a brief moment. 

            “Thank you.”      

            We pulled apart and my face turned red because the impulsive action I just did.

            “Um... that was a really good news to hear.”

            “I know, right.” She smiled again and I couldn’t help to smile also.

            Before the atmosphere turned to awkward again, she opened , “Sica-ah, what are you doing tomorrow?”

            “I don’t have any plan yet. Why?”

            “Umm... I was wondering if you want to meet my mom. She... she’s been asking about you for quite some time.” She lowered her head as she said it, but it didn’t manage to hide her reddened face.

            I smiled looking at the very adorable scene in front of me, “Sure. Why not?”

            “Really?” she looked up at me with twinkling eyes.

            I nod at her while still having a smile on my face.

            “Great.”

            We looked at each other again, with smiles plastered on our faces. I couldn’t help myself to gawk at her face. She was still as beautiful as I could remember. But she looked tired. She had black circle around her eyes and she looked skinnier.

            “I.. I’ll let you rest now then, Yuri-ah. Good night.” I walked toward the door.

            “Okay. Good night, Sica-ah.” She said back to me. We gave a smile to each other before I closed the door gently and went to my own room.

            I was really happy when Yuri told me about her mom accepting her. That means we........... could date again, right? The thought of it made me smile like an idiot.

            But then that stupid picture of her with that guy started to enter my mind. I was confused. Yuri just told me her mom accepted her ual orientation, so how come she had a boyfriend in Japan? And most importantly, why her mom wanted me to take care of her if she had someone else already? That question really bemused me. It made me more eager to meet her mom tomorrow so I could ask directly to her.