Promise

Righteousness & Honesty

 

 

 

Thank you for the subs, the comments, the upvote~, the views, and basically to everybody who just click to check this story :D 

 

Thank you very much!!

 

 



 

 

 

 

Jessica’s

         It was really Yuri’s mom! Oh my God!

            “He-hello, Mrs. Kwon.” What did she want? Did she want to scold me or something? But for what? I haven’t contacted her daughter in so long. I was no more in Yuri’s life. So what’s her reason for wanting to talk to me?

            “You must be wondering why I wanted to talk to you?”

            “Um.. ye-yeah.”

            I heard her chuckled, “Well first of all, I want to apologize to you, Jessica.”

            “Huh? Why, Mrs. Kwon?”

            “I separated you from Yuri. It must’ve been terrible for both of you. I’m really sorry.”

            Whaaaaaaat?! Okay, this was definitely weird and I didn’t know what to reply to her! Well I did blame her, but I never thought in a hundred years that Mrs. Kwon a.k.a. Yuri’s biological mother would apologize to me.

            “Uh.. Mrs. Kwon, I... it’s... um...”

            What the hell was going on with me! I should yell at her because she was the reason my heart was in pieces.    

            She laughed, “Let’s just say you accepted my apology?”

            “Sure, Mrs. Kwon.....”

            Well how could I be mad at my future-mother-in-law? ............ I WISH!

            “So, Yuri told me you’re studying abroad?”

            “Um ye-yeah.”

            “How was it there?”

            “It’s o..okay.”

            This was normal. We talked like two civilian people. It’s normal, right?

            “Have you found someone there, Jessica?”

            NOT NORMAL!

            “Uh... I.....”

            I heard her laughed a little bit, “It’s okay dear, you can tell me.”

            DID SHE JUST CALL ME DEAR? I didn’t know why but I felt soooo happy.

            “No, Mrs. Kwon. I haven’t met anybody here.”

            “Hmm, why is that? Is it because you still love my daughter?”

            AWKWARD! Oh gosh, I was sweating now. This conversation was really getting awkward.

            I was fidgeting and didn’t answer her.

            I heard her laughed again, “I’ll take your silence as a yes then.”

            I flushed in embarrassment. Gaaaaaah!!! Could I just hang up, now? But that would be so rude.

            “Actually I called because I need a favor from you, Jessica.” She sounded serious now.

            “What.. what is it, Mrs. Kwon?”            

            “Well it’s more like a promise rather than a favor.”

            “A promise?”

            “Yes, a promise. Jessica............. will you promise me to take care of Yuri? Will you keep that promise for me?”   

            I blinked and blinked until I apprehend her request. That was really a strange request.

            “So? What’s your answer, dear?”

            I hesitated because it was a really strange request from Yuri’s mom.

            “O-okay. I’ll try my best to do that, Mrs. Kwon.”

            She let out a relief sigh, “Thank you, Jessica.”

            “You’re welcome, Mrs. Kwon. But.... but why?”

            “Oh, my daughter’s back in the room! I need to go now, Jessica. It was nice talking to you. Visit me when you’re back here, okay?”

            Huh? Yuri was not there all this time we talked? “Su-sure.”

            “Okay then, bye now. Take care, dear.”

            “Bye, Mrs. Kwon.”

            I still hold the cell phone on my ear, what just happened?

            “Jessica, you’re still there?” it was Yuri’s voice! I haven’t ended the call yet! Stupid.

            “Oh ye-yeah, I’m still here.”

            “Um.. thank you for letting my mom talk to you. She didn’t say anything weird, did she?”

            I could hear Mrs. Kwon’s voice in the background, “I didn’t!” and followed by Yuri’s chuckling.

            I smiled, “No, she didn’t say anything weird.”

            “That’s good.”

            We grew silent. I should’ve ended the phone call, but I still wanted to hear her voice.

            “Yuri... um.. are you back in your hometown? Didn’t you got a job in Japan?” I started a conversation. Well I couldn’t help it! All this time I was missing her and dreading to know how she was. It felt so good if I can hear it directly from her.

            “Yeah, I was.... um... I was here to visit my family.”

            We grew silent again. It’s evident we became awkward with each other now.

            “Aren’t you going home for Christmas?”

            “Yep, I’m going home next week.”   

            Without me noticing, the awkwardness had slowly vanished and we talked the way we used to.