Smile

What do you see?

Na Na POV:

I followed Kang Woo. He said that there was one more place to go before the day ends. I was happy. We spent the whole day at the movies, ice cream parlor, and the amusement park. I was excited for the surprise he had for me. 

"Na Na-ah, close your eyes." Kang Woo said as he put a blindfold on me. I did what he asked. Suddenly someone held onto to me and didn't let go. It wasn't Kang Woo, this figure was heavy, tall, and strong for that matter. "Kang Woo-ah!" I called out to him but he didn't respond. I couldn't see him either. "KANG WOO!" 

They tied me up to a chair, then I remebered my father's words. 

"Do not show emotion. Do not reveal anything. Stay strong." he told me when we had the talk of him being a mob boss. I did exactly that. I just turned off my emotions. 

Two guys were talking behind me. "I won the bet. The boss's son actually went through with it. You owe me 50." Voice #1 said. 

"Pshh, he'll find a way to screw this operation up in the end. Kang Woo is not like his father." Voice #2 said. 

Kang Woo? It clicked. I finally understood why he was acting weird earlier, but I didn't understand why he would do this to me. I wanted to cry. I wanted to yell. I wanted to hit something, but I can't show emotions if I was to survive this kidnapping case. 

"Take her blind fold off." A different voice ordered. 

Someone released my blindfold.

-------

Kang Woo POV:

She was strong. She didn't show any emotion when she saw me. She just stayed there like a robot. I felt guilty and worthless. Just seeing Na Na like that broke my heart. 

My father acknowledged me, "Good work, son. I'm proud of you," he said.

All I did was bow my head. My father approached Na Na and began asking questons about her dad's operations. I clenched my jaw as I watch her stay expressionless and quiet. 

"Won't talk? We have to cure that right away." he said turning toward his goons nodding his head. Minion number one approached her and slapped her. We never agreed on physical violence. I turn towards my father about to tell him off when he tells his minions to stop. I look at Na Na, she wasn't fazed. She remain expressionless. That fact angered me. Why wasn't she yelling, crying, or anything?! 

My anger then subsided. Na Na may be strong, but she suffers inside. I though it was not possible, but Na Na inspired me even more. 

------

Na Na POV:

I didn't know how much timed passed. It was probably dawn. Then I realized I hadn't been to the bathroom all day and I really had to go. 

"I need to use the bathroom." I said coldlly. 

Goon number two grunted. 

"I'll take her." Kang Woo offered. He came closer to me. I didn't want to see him. I didn't want him to touch me. I had so much anger. 

He holds on to my back and pushes me out the door. He then looked both ways. He pulled out a knife. I let a tear slip thinking that Kang Woo really hated me. He looked up for a second then with the knife cut the rope around my hands. I did not understand. He took my hand and pulled me through a series of different hallways. The building was big. He kept pulling me until we reached the roof.

He stopped and looked me dead in the eye ,"Mian-hae Na Na-ah, your dad will come here soon. Stay on the roof, no one will come find you here."

"Kang Woo-ah." My emotions were all over the place.

"Don't worry about me." Kang Woo smiled. I tried my best to memorize his smile. He then left running downstairs. I looked up at the sky, it was still dark but I could see a glimmer of the sun. 

------

Kang Woo POV: 

I left the building. My father was waiting for me, furious of my decision. He was holding Oreo. I froze. Oreo was my mom's favorite bunny. My only reminder of her. He let the bunny go. 

"Strangle the bunny," he ordered. 

"No." I replied. 

My father took at his gun and aimed at my mother's bunny. 

Next thing I knew blood seeped through my clothes. My body acted without thinking. I risked my life to save a bunny. Then I looked up to see Na Na looking at me from the roof and beyond her I saw the most beautiful sunrise ever. I smiled and turned to look at the bunny. Oreo gave me a kissed and hopped away. It was time to let go. 

I closed my eyes.

------

Na Na (present) POV: 

"My father came by helicopter and retrieved me." I said. 

I looked at Sun Woo. "I was in a state of shock. I couldn't express my emotions well after that. Every now and then I would but I'd always revert to the cold Na Na." 

Sun Woo just listened to her story. I Kang Woo's letter. I was too weak to read it. Sun Woo took the letter from my hand and opened it. 

"I'll read it." He said. 

------

Sun Woo POV: 

Na Na really is strong. I felt closer to Na Na than ever before. She has been through so much. I wanted to lessen the pain. 

He began reading: 

              Dear Na Na-ah,

I don't know if I'll ever give you this letter, but it'll be nice just to have it around for the future. You asked me yesterday what I saw in you. Truth is I had never thought of that. I'm hoping writing this letter will help me answer your question. You can't stand bullying. You have a weird sense of humor. You are an awesome designer. You can sing better than idols nowadays. You're smart when you want to be. You know how to fight rough. You hate asparagus. You love pistachio ice cream (even though its gross). You know how to play most instruments. You don't like sad endings. You like music that comes from the heart. You get embarrassed by your parents occupation. You know your place when it comes to difficult situations. You dislike unfairness. You can dance better than me. I could go on and on. But I realized the answer. Na Na-ah, I see a beautiful, amazing, and special girl. She's my best friend. My Na Na-ah, a person I got the privelege of getting to know. To me you're Kim Na Na, the girl who smiles at toddlers, the girl who can beat up anyone, the girl who stole my heart. I hope everything works out for you in the end, you deserve so much happiness Na Na, even if I'm not the one giving you that happiness. So continue smiling Na Na for I'll forever love you

                              -Sarang Kang Woo