Chapter 5

Messages from the Heart

Chapter 5

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Pasendena, CA

 

Present Time…

 

The automatic doors to the grocery store slid open as Tiffany strolled in pushing a cart. It was late in the afternoon and she was pooped out from all the errands she ran earlier in the day. She still had to make dinner for her father and her sister’s family so she was slowly growing frantic on what to cook. She marched into the vegetable section and began to rub her chin.

 

“Ok…onions…garlic…tomatoes…what else?”

 

She bagged the necessary vegetables she was searching for then proceeded into the meat and frozen food section. She examined the chicken and began to do math in her head to determine how much she needed if she were going to feed four other people including her sister and father.

 

“Samantha…Dad…Sam’s three kids and husband…hmm…”

 

Suddenly, someone tapped her on the shoulder. She cleared her mind of the calculations and slowly turned around. It was Jessica.

 

“Fany?!”

 

“SIca?!”

 

The two old friends hugged each other tightly then eased from each other. They laughed as they examined each other. Jessica had gotten older and she showed several winkles near eyes but her body was still slim and slender. Her hair was a light brown and cut short passed her shoulders. Regardless of age, Jessica still dressed young and acted young. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“I thought you were still living in Seoul? What are you doing back in California?”

 

“I was about to say the same thing for you! How long have you been back?”

 

“Well…you know…after the girls separated…I tried to model…didn’t work out so well…and my Seohyun…she was having trouble at elementary school in Seoul…so we left like…ten years ago…”

 

Jessica shook her head in amazement.

 

“10 years…time does fly…”

 

“It does…”

 

“So what do you do now?”

 

“Well, I’m back at home now…my father has gotten older and well…I’m caring for him now…and for Seohyun…she just got married!”

 

“Married? So young!”

 

“I know…but…her husband is amazing…and I trust that he will care for her…better than me in any case…”

 

“Tiffany…you shouldn’t beat yourself up…you had to work with what you had…plus…the girls had your back…before the split of course…”

 

“Yeah…how about you, Sica? What have you been up to this past decade?”

 

Jessica giggled.

 

“Well…we stayed in Seoul after we split and you remember how I tried to continue singing, right?”

 

“I do…”

 

“Well, SM kept me on their label for little bit until I felt it was time to leave…it was fun when we were young…but things changed when we got older…”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“The politics…the constant change of image to better suit the public…which became horrendous…then…we wanted to live our lives now…remember Sooyoung suddenly getting married and leaving the group with no warning…”

 

“I do…”

 

“Plus…your dilemma…it really took its toll on the girls…”

 

“It did?”

 

“I don’t want you to think it was your fault…but…the label had a tough time managing your schedule…and keeping your daughter…well…a secret…”

 

Tiffany slowly frowned and shook her head.

 

“Times were tough…and very few knew…”

 

“We loved you and Seohyun with all our hearts…maybe that’s why the girls wanted to move on and experience life…since you were trying you best to live yours…even behind the cameras and fame…”

 

Tiffany smiled.

 

“How long are you in town?”

 

“Well…Taecyeon and I have been here for at least a week…we’re leaving tomorrow evening back to Seoul…we were here to visit my sister and her family…”

 

“I see…how’s Taecyeon these days?”

 

That question suddenly struck a sensitive cord under Jessica’s skin and she tried her best not to answer that question but it was unavoidable.  Even to this day, Jessica could still sense that Tiffany still remains in Taecyeon’s heart. It’s an undying love that Jessica has learned to accept and something that Taecyeon has been learning to forget.

 

“Taec…he’s…been great…”

 

“Is he here with you?”

 

“No, he’s with Krystal and the rest of the kids…”

 

“I see…”

 

Suddenly, the old friends were left with nothing to say. Jessica spoke up.

 

“Fany…it was nice seeing you again…”

 

“Same here, Sica…give my love to the family…”

 

“I will…Fany?”

 

“Yes, Sica?”

 

Jessica whispered.

 

“I hope you find what you are looking for…”

 

Tiffany was surprised by Jessica’s words. Jessica bowed her head and smiled. Jessica walked off towards the cashiers. Tiffany remained where she was standing with a stunned look on her face.

 

“Sica…”

 

Tiffany, 20 Years Old, Seoul, Korea

 

The events surrounding Tiffany’s singing career picked up after her successful jamming sessions with Heechul over in San Francisco. He was strongly interested in Tiffany and Jessica. He felt he made the jackpot after running into them in the mall several months back. Tiffany did not hesitate to put college on hold and finally grasp the moment to showcase her talent. She always remembered how her father told stories of her mother’s singing ability and it only felt right to live on that legacy. Tiffany’s father on the other hand was strongly against her departure to Korea. Tiffany recalled her father’s last words to her.

 

“I know you love music and singing…your mother did too…but…it wasn’t a life worth living if you want to experience love and a family…it’s too difficult…I know you want to have a future, Tiffany…but fame and entertainment is too unpredictable…please…reevaluate your decision…”

 

Tiffany already made up her mind awhile back and she chose to sing. Tiffany would long remember her father’s words but she wouldn’t regret her decision to become a member of “Girls’ Generation.”

 

“I’m sorry, Dad, but this is my life…”

 

Tiffany sat beside her window in her dorm room as she remembered her father’s deep words. The rest of the group were out shopping and preparing for tomorrow’s first show. They were set-up to perform in a nearby all-girls’ school. Tiffany was real worried about that.

 

“Will they like us?”

 

It had only been 6 months and the label was ready to present their new project to the nation. Being a girl group with multiple personalities, backgrounds, and talents, SM felt that such a group with this kind of diversity would bring fans roaring. Yet, Tiffany was quite skeptical about this. She usually was optimistic about things but she felt that the group wasn’t as solid as they should be. Most of the girls were still young, still needed to improve their singing, and weren’t easily to get along with. Tiffany had problems getting along with a younger member of group named “Yoona.”

 

Tiffany shook her head as she remembered her face.

 

“That girl…”

 

Since Tiffany wasn’t a native speaker of Korean, the girls often poked fun at her pronunciations and verbal confusions. Jessica had it easier since she learned Korean before English. Yoona especially fully elaborated Tiffany’s mistakes. There were times when Tiffany would lock herself in her room to avoid the teasing and focus on studying the language. There were even times when the girls wouldn’t speak to her just to avoid any confusion. Jessica tried to stick up for her but most of time just went with the group. Tiffany understood that Jessica was trying to fit in with the rest but it hurt her extremely to see her old friend be so cold.

 

Tiffany rubbed her finger on the window and felt the coldness behind it. The snow was falling hard outside and it sent shivers down Tiffany’s spine. She was lonely and wanted to feel warm. Then an old familiar feeling began to rise.

 

“Siwon-oppa…”

 

After seeing him earlier in the summer, she promised never to speak to him but occasionally she would check his Facebook profile for any updates. He had gotten so handsome after joining the military and it drove Tiffany crazy for still being in love with him. She still received messages from him online yet she ignored him. She had something to prove to him.

 

“I won’t be ‘that’ little girl you once saw…I’ll be famous…then…you’ll love me…”

 

Tiffany went over to her bag and took out his mailing address. She hesitated at first if she should go through with her letter.

 

“Should I?”

 

Tiffany shrugged then pulled out a piece of writing paper and got her letter ready.

 

*Tiffany’s Letter*

 

Dear Siwon-Oppa,

 

Hello Oppa, forgive me for not writing sooner. It’s been roughly 6 months since we last met and I must say lots of changed. I’m actually in the country right now and I finally living my life as a singer. Sadly, I’m not solo but with a huge group. There are 9 of us! Still, I have a feeling we’ll be going somewhere. We’ve all been working hard and hopefully it all pays off. I’ve been praying a lot. Do you still pray, Oppa?

 

Well, how are things on your part? How’s Yeon Hee- Unnie? I hope you aren’t working too hard. Please be careful and god bless.

 

I have also enclosed a photo of my group. It’s a promotional photo. I hope you like it!

 

                                                                                                                Love,

                                                                                                                   Fany

 

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Tiffany hid the letter in her desk and looked up to see Jessica standing by the door.

 

“Fany?”

 

“Yes?”

 

Jessica gave a suspicious smile.

 

“What were you doing?”

 

“Umm…nothing…why?”

 

Jessica slowly crept in and leaped onto her bed. The bed bounced up and down and startled Tiffany. Jessica rolled over to Tiffany.

 

“Were you writing a letter to…your Oppa?”

 

“Sica…please…don’t tell anyone…”

 

“You know they’re strict with us and our outside contacts…and writing to boys…uh-oh…”

 

“Sica…you better promise…”

 

“Don’t worry…I text Taecyeon every now and then…”

 

“You kept your phone? I thought those were banned….”

 

“I hid mine silly…geez…get it together…”

 

“Geez…well…how’s Taec?”

 

“Good…misses the both of us…I swear that boy…he says he’s planning to come here and try to start his rapper career…”

 

“He raps?”

 

“He tries…but since he has a smoking body…he can be a model here instead…”

 

“I see…”

 

“So…you still write to Siwon-Oppa?”

 

“I stopped but since things are pretty lonely around here…I decided to write to him again…”

 

“You know…we’re much closer to him now…ask him to visit…”

 

“I can’t do that! The President would have my head…plus Taeyeon-unnie is super strict about things around here…geez…I wanted to sing…not be treated as a prisoner…”

 

Jessica giggled.

 

“What’s so funny?”

 

“You’re actually right…I never thought it would be as harsh as this…”

 

Tiffany turned towards the window. The snow continued to fall.

 

“Was this the RIGHT thing to do, Sica?”

 

“I’m not sure yet…we need to see first, right?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“I never knew we would make it this far, you know? I thought it was all fun and games until we actually formed the group then I was like…ok…this is for real now…”

Tiffany sighed. Jessica felt that Tiffany was setting her sights on something further into the future. She knew that Tiffany had goals in mind. Jessica went over and placed her hand on her shoulder.

 

“Fany…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I hope you find what you’re searching for…”

 

Tiffany turned and stared deeply into Jessica’s eyes.

 

“Sica…”

 

“I know it’s something meaningful…I hope…you find it…”

 

Jessica smiled and slowly walked out of Tiffany’s room. Tiffany remained seated on the corner of the bed. Jessica had never said something so deep and significant to her like that. Tiffany never knew that her search would last most of her life.

 

Seohyun, Present Time, Jeju Island….

 

Siwon hands began to tremble as Seohyun stared directly at his eyes. Kyuhyun felt uneasy.

 

“Seohyun…what’s going on?”

 

Seohyun ignored her husband and approached Siwon.

 

“You…you…”

 

Siwon suddenly felt ashamed. Before him stood his lost daughter that he abandoned and he didn’t know how to speak to her. Seohyun screamed at him. Kyuhyun was startled and Minho poked his head out from the office.

 

“YOU BASTARD! How dare you….HOW DARE YOU!!!?”

 

Seohyun reeled back and slapped her father across his face. Siwon felt the pain and anguish behind her strike and he felt he deserved the full blunt of it. This was the second time he was ever slapped. Siwon rubbed his face and spoke up.

 

“Seohyun…I’m sorry…please…forgive me…”

 

Seohyun turned and grabbed her husband by the arm.

 

“Kyuhyun…we’re leaving…now!”

 

“Wait…what about our ride?”

 

“I won’t fly with that man!”

Kyuhyun was clueless and looked to see Minho helping his father up. Seohyun pulled Kyuhyun towards the main road where they caught a nearby taxi. Once inside, Kyuhyun was serious.

 

“Seohyun…what the hell is wrong with you?”

 

Seohyun began to tear up. He could tell she was frustrated.

 

“Seohyun…please…talk to me!”

 

“That man was my father…”

 

“Your father? Wait…how?”

 

“The story is too long to tell…but…he’s my father…and he left my mother and me…he never loved us…”

 

“Seohyun…”

 

“I’m sorry…I’m just so…confused…”

 

She rested her head on his chest and began to weep. Kyuhyun caressed her as they drove back to their private resort.

 

Later that night…

 

Kyuhyun tossed another piece of wood to the bonfire as Seohyun sipped on her beer. Kyuhyun sat beside her and watched the moonlight reflect on the water. Kyuhyun noticed Seohyun had a deep expression on her face.

 

“Seohyun…honey…u need to speak to me…if we want this to work…you need to let me know what’s going on…I can’t be left here alone…”

 

“Kyuhyun…it’s difficult to talk about…”

 

“Seohyun…I know I didn’t experience the separation of my parents…but…please…help me understand…let me listen…I have nothing better to do, right?”

 

Seohyun looked up to Kyuhyun and saw him with his arms up and a big smile on his face. Seohyun giggled.

 

“Fine…”

 

Kyuhyun sat beside her and held her tightly.

 

“That man we saw earlier…well…he’s my biological father…”

 

“I see…how did you know this?”

 

“My mother told me about him…”

 

“I see…”

 

Seohyun could tell Kyuhyun had a tough time registering all this information in his head.

 

“See! It’s difficult!”

 

“Honey…no! I’m listening…”

 

Seohyun made a playful pout and Kyuhyun hugged her.

 

“Go on…I’m listening!”

 

“I think I should tell this story…”

 

Seohyun and Kyuhyun didn’t recognize the voice and quickly turned around. Siwon was slowly approaching them, holding a bottle of wine. He wore khaki slacks and a open white silk shirt. His muscles were toned and tan. Seohyun stood up.

 

“How did you find us?!”

 

“Kyuhyun’s uncle is a close friend and client of mine…”

 

Kyuhyun shrugged while Seohyun continued her mean tone.

 

“We don’t want you here…”

 

“Honey…”

 

“No!”

 

Siwon placed the bottle on the sand and looked to his daughter.

 

“Seohyun…please…let me explain myself…afterwards…if you don’t agree…I will leave you and your husband alone…”

 

Seohyun stood silently and glared at Siwon.

 

“Just give me this moment to talk to you…and…elaborate on some things…”

 

Seohyun nodded and rested beside her husband. Siwon placed three wine glasses on the sand and slowly filled them up with wine. He passed them to the couple and kept one for himself. He took a sip and savored the taste. He looked over to Seohyun and smiled.

 

“I never thought we would run into each other like this…”

 

“Me either…”

 

“Seohyun…I never meant to hurt your mother or you…things were complicated…but…I loved you with all my heart…like I loved your mother…”

 

Seohyun wanted to yell but she decided to lighten her tone.

 

“Why did you leave us then?”

 

Siwon bit his lip.

 

“How much do you know?”

 

“Before I left California, mom told me you were in engaged to Lee Yeon Hee…she was only 20 years old when she received the news about your engagement…but…you still had me which meant…I was out of wedlock…”

 

Siwon let out a sigh.

 

“Fany…”

 

“I want to know how things ended up the way they were…”

 

Siwon took another sip of his wine and began to recall the vast amount of memories streaming through his mind. He looked over to Seohyun and smiled.

 

“I was engaged, yes…but…my heart was aching…I was trapped…between commitment and love…”

 

“Commitment? To who?”

 

“Yeon Hee…”

 

“How?”

 

“It was arranged…”

 

Siwon, 18 Years Old, the Village of Yangdong, Korea

 

The summer was hot and humid as Siwon traveled on a crammed bus to Yangdong. His father decided to send Siwon to the remote and historic village to learn about the origins of his ancestors and experience a crash course on “hard work” through farming. Siwon was outright against the decision. Siwon remembered his argument with his father.

 

“How could you do this to me, Father?!”

 

“I’m sending you to Yangdong to learn how to work for a living…”

 

“I’m already going to Seoul University! What more do you want?”

 

“You aren’t going to Seoul anymore…”

 

“Why? Wait…what did you do?”

 

“You’re going to America…”

 

“America?! For what?”

 

“I have a close friend there…you remember the family from awhile back…The Hwang’s…they have a big home there in California…”

 

Siwon couldn’t believe his father.

 

“How long will you continue to dictate my life?”

 

Siwon’s father looked up to him. Siwon was shaking with anger.

 

“When I know you can make a good decision…”

 

“How will ever know if you don’t let me decide on my own?”

 

Siwon wiped his tears and stormed out his father’s study. His father sighed and looked out the window as Siwon hopped into his convertible and zoomed out of the neighborhood.

 

“Will he ever trust me?”

 

The bus made its final stop and Siwon boarded off. The heat was excruciating and he began to loosen his collar. A large, heavy set man with a straw hat stood outside the bus station. As Siwon turned the corner, the heavy man stood up from the bench and called Siwon over.

 

“Siwon-shi! I’m Lee Dong Hwa! Uncle Dong for short!”

 

The large man had a big smile as Siwon came and bowed to him.

 

“Uncle Dong…it’s been years…how have you been?”

 

“Busy as usual…your father told me that he wanted to me to teach the value of hard work to you…”

 

“He said that?”

 

“I believe he did…weird though…you never seemed like the rebellious type…”

 

“I don’t even know anymore…all I can say is I’m ready…”

 

“Well…you look like you’re in good shape…today you can help pick the rest of the apples with the rest of the group…”

 

“Understood…”

 

Siwon covered his mouth with his handkerchief as Uncle Dong drove down the dusty road leading to his huge fruit farm. When they arrived, Siwon grabbed his luggage from the trunk and carried it into the house. Uncle Dong yelled from outside.

 

“Drop your things inside the living room! We’ll sort it out later! Come meet the group!”

 

Siwon dropped his luggage and returned outside. The group staggered towards the porch as they picked the last of the apples. They smelled of sweat and dirt which almost made Siwon gagged. They were mostly made up of elderly men and women. Yet, one member hesitated to reveal her face. Siwon was curious.

 

“It’s nice to meet everyone here and I’m glad to be helping all of you out…please take care of me since I’m new at all of this…”

 

They all laughed knowing he was the son of the famous Chairman of the Choi Business Group which owned half of Seoul but they gladly accepted him. Siwon looked over to the masked person and spoke up.

 

“Excuse me…who might you be?”

 

An old woman pinched the person on the arm.

 

“He’s trying to speak to you…go on…say ‘hello’…”

 

The person removed their hood and scarf and Siwon was shocked to see it was girl.

 

“Wow…”

 

The girl had long flowing black hair and beautiful eyes. Her face resembled an angel. The girl was shy and had a soft voice. She slowly spoke up.

 

“It’s nice to meet you…sir…”

 

“Sir? No…I’m Siwon…you must be…”

 

“Lee Yeon Hee…”

 

“Yeon Hee…”

 

Present Time…

 

Seohyun took a sip of her wine.

 

“So…you were sent to Yangdong to farm?”

 

Siwon nodded.

 

“At first…I thought it was about farming…but…there was something else I was sent there for…”

 

Kyuhyun rubbed his chin.

 

“I think I know why…”

 

Seohyun turned to Kyuhyun.

 

“Why?”

 

“Let him finish his story…”

 

Kyuhyun nodded to Siwon and indicated to him to continue his tale.

 

“Yeon Hee was angelic and beautiful…we grew closer as I began to work there…the older folks knew what was happening…I liked her a lot…but…things changed when my father called later that summer…”

 

Siwon, 18 Years Old, the Village of Yangdong

 

It had been at least 4 weeks already and Siwon had quickly grown accustomed to the village and the people. He was slowly adapting to the environment and his wealthy, city boy image began to fade away. He and Yeon Hee were also growing closer. He looked forward to farming every morning and was always up first to prepare the equipment. The rest of the farm hands were impressed by him. Yeon Hee was constantly questioned by the elderly women to let Siwon pursue her.

 

“Yeon Hee…he’s a wealthy man…opportunities like this rarely come around…please consider…”

 

Yeon Hee on the other hand, was attracted to Siwon yet she had plans for her future and did not want to seek marriage anytime soon. Yet, things changed when Siwon was contacted by his father.

 

It was in the middle of the day and the group was in the middle of packaging the last of the apples when suddenly Siwon was called over to the house to answer a call. Siwon and Yeon Hee were both giggling and laughing when Siwon was called over by his uncle.

 

“Siwon! It’s your father! Quickly!”

 

Siwon smiled and shrugged towards Yeon Hee and left to the house. He arrived and picked up the phone.

 

“Dad?”

 

“Siwon, how’s everything in Yangdong?”

 

“Great! The people are nice and made some close friends!”

 

“I see, I see…”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“You didn’t happen to meet a young girl named, Lee Yeon Hee, did you?”

 

“I did…how…how did you know?”

 

“She is the grand-niece of the owner of Lee’s Motors over here in Seoul…”

 

“Yeah…so…”

 

“She might not know but…she’s stands to inherit a lot of money…her grand-uncle is close to passing and rumors has it that Yeon Hee is the only living relative…”

 

“How…this is so…confusing…Yeon Hee is a village girl here…she’s amazing…but…she wouldn’t be involved in that whole mess…wait…you didn’t send me here to…meet her, did you?”

 

His father remained silent across the line.

 

“Father…how could you do this?”

 

“Siwon…what I’m going to say is very important…that girl has a very rich future…and being a part of that could bring alot prosperity to the group…”

 

Siwon was shocked on how far his father willing to go and control his life.

 

“I can’t do that…”

 

“Siwon…this could potentially save the group…we have been sinking in our profits…the airline business is slowly suffering…”

 

“Father…”

 

“You must consider…Yeon Hee is very beautiful, isn’t she?”

 

Siwon began to tear up.

 

“Father…I can’t do this…I can’t pretend to love someone…”

 

“You will learn to…love…love is something that can be learned if necessary…true love is simply a fantasy, son…please…listen to your head…your heart can only take you so far…”

 

Siwon wiped his tears.

 

“I can’t do this…I’m leaving…I’m going home…”

 

His father sighed.

 

“Please…consider…son…”

 

Siwon wiped his tears and looked up and saw Yeon Hee chewing on an apple and smiling at him.

 

“I will be returning soon, Father…we will talk…”

 

Siwon said goodbye and hung up the phone. Yeon Hee approached him with a cheerful smile.

 

“Siwon, are you ready to celebrate tonight with the rest of the group?!”

 

“Why? What’s happening?”

 

“We’ve been given the next few days off for our hard work!”

 

She leaped into the air and laughed with joy. Siwon smiled but couldn’t shake off the dreadful conversation he previously had with his father.

 

Later that night…

 

As the rest of the farm hands drank and sung drunken melodies, Siwon and Yeon Hee sat by a tree and spoke. Siwon was hurt by his father and his continued grasp on his life yet; Yeon Hee seemed like someone he would like to marry. His heart was confused. Yeon Hee looked up to him and asked him a question.

 

“I know you are not staying in Yangdong any longer…but…what do you plan to do after you leave?”

 

“I’m being sent to America…to go to school…”

 

“I see…where?”

 

“California…I’ll be staying with some family friends…”

 

“What do you plan to study?”

 

“Aeronautical Engineering…”

 

“Wow…”

 

“Yeah…I like math and calculating things…then…I’ll be returning here…to serve my country…”

 

“You’ll be joining the military?”

 

“I always wanted to…I want to be a pilot…”

 

Yeon Hee was intrigued by Siwon’s plan and how precise he was. He looked over to Yeon Hee.

 

“How about you?”

 

“I want to be a nurse…I’m attending nursing school over in Incheon…”

 

“Wow…”

 

“Yeah…I want to help the children…”

 

“We all do…”

 

Yeon Hee looked over to Siwon and gave him a warm smile. Suddenly, Siwon spoke up.

 

“Yeon Hee…I’m actually leaving tomorrow…”

 

“Huh? Why?”

 

“That call earlier was from my father and it was actually something real…urgent…I’ll be leaving early tomorrow…I didn’t want to tell the rest of the helpers…it would ruin the mood…”

 

Yeon Hee was devastated and looked down. Siwon sighed and spoke up.

 

“Yeon Hee…I just wanted to let you know that…I like you…a lot…you have been kind and friendly to me…I was hoping if we could…remain in contact…as a couple…”

 

Yeon Hee looked up to Siwon.

 

“The past weeks have been amazing and you have been nice as well…but…to be a couple…I can’t do that…”

 

Siwon was stunned.

 

“I can’t give you my heart then you leave…we barely know each other…it would be too painful…for the both of us…”

 

Siwon nodded and understood where Yeon Hee was coming from.

 

“But…”

 

“But?”

 

“I’m sure if we meet again in the future…there’s some potential…”

 

She smiled at Siwon then rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“Potential…”

 

“You never know…”

 

Siwon smiled at the idea of seeing her again. He suddenly forgot his father’s words and was lost in his love for Yeon Hee. He wanted to see her again. He committed himself in seeing her again. He placed his hand over her hand and they enjoyed the moonlight as the music played in the background.

 

Yeon Hee and Siwon wouldn’t see each other for 8 years. Regardless of the distance, he made sure to be in contact with Yeon Hee even for the briefest moments.

 

Present Time…

 

Siwon looked over to the water.

 

“I ran into Yeon Hee when I was in the middle of my training to be a pilot for the Korean Air Force…she was finishing up becoming a nurse for the army and she was stationed on my base…we were shocked by each other’s presence and we quickly fell for each other…”

 

Seohyun remained silent.

 

“She told me about her inheritance and how it was put on hold for her…she didn’t want to take it until she was married…things quickly sped up…suddenly we found ourselves in engaged…yet…I didn’t want to tell my family or friends…we knew what was going to happen and how my father would try his best to mastermind everything…Yeon Hee and I wanted to get married for the right reasons…yet something…something continued to bother me…”

 

Seohyun looked up and spoke up.

 

“What was it?”

 

“There was someone I was writing to who knew me more than anyone else…Tiffany…”

 

Seohyun’s eye began to water.

 

“I wrote to her…a painful letter…which still haunts me to this day…”

 

“I read it…”

 

Siwon looked to his daughter and saw the pain in her eyes.

 

“Tiffany slapped me when I saw her again…that moment…my heart began to shatter…on the outside…I was going to be proud husband with a promising career, a beautiful wife, and hopeful future…yet…in the inside…my heart was bleeding…it was bleeding because I knew I was hurting someone that meant a lot to me…”

 

Seohyun began to weep and laid her head on Kyuhyun’s shoulder. Kyuhyun spoke up.

 

“You were getting married…Tiffany was leaving to Seoul for her music career…how you two kept in touch must have been difficult?”

 

“She wrote to me…”

 

Seohyun lifted her head.

 

“Mom wrote to you as she trained and sang?”

 

“We found every chance…it was something I kept hidden from my family…”

 

“When did you see each other again?”

 

“She was 21 when I saw her again…and it was unexpected as well…”

 

“How?”

 

“Her group…Girls’ Generation…visited our base one time to do some morale boosting for the troops…it…also happened to be my birthday that day too…I never knew who was coming…I was surprised…I will never forget that day…”

 

Siwon, 27 Years Old, off the coast of Busan

 

The waves were crashing as the flaming ship slowly sunk beneath the sea. The sea was plagued in darkness and the moon was covered by the clouds. The survivors were grasping for air and could feel death linger close to them. They prayed for the rescue team to arrive soon hoping that their signal was reached. The young sailor screamed to wounded sailor he was supporting.

 

“Just wait, Sung Lee! They’ll be here! They’ll be here!”

 

Suddenly, they could hear the swooshing of the helicopter blades quickly approaching. A huge light shined on them and a loud voice echoed through the speakerphone.

 

“This is Captain Lee Donghae! Please remain calm and we will have you out as quickly as possible!”

 

The helicopter hovered as a diver was reeled down to help the surviving sailors. One by one, they were brought up through the life basket into the huge helicopter. As the survivors and rescue team gathered up into the helicopter, the sailor spoke up.

 

“Thank you…thank you for saving us…”

 

Captain Donghae spoke up.

 

“We were only doing our jobs…”

 

His co-pilot turned around and opened his visor. It was Siwon.

 

“Please keep warm as we return to the base…god was on our side tonight…”

 

The helicopter quickly flew back to get the survivors checked out in the base hospital. As they flew back, Donghae whispered to Siwon.

 

“By the way, when we get back to base…there’s going to be a BIG celebration…birthday boy…”

 

“You fool…we’re still in our mission…ease down…”

 

Donghae laughed.

 

“This guy…always so serious…listen, Hero…I know you’re married…but…you need to enjoy yourself…”

 

Siwon shook his head and smiled as he guided the helicopter back to the base.

 

Later that night…

 

The base was unusually crowded with all branches of military stacked up at the baseball field. Donghae and Siwon got off the bus and followed the crowds of cheering soldiers. Donghae pulled two cigars from his pocket on his flight suit and handed one to Siwon.

 

“Here…it’s on me, Captain Siwon…”

 

“Donghae…I don’t smoke…”

 

“Just once…”

 

A soldier walked by and spoke up.

 

“Captain! Smoke up, sir! It’s your birthday!”

 

Siwon was shocked that he knew it was his birthday. Suddenly, the crowds began to sing “Happy Birthday” and Siwon glared at Donghae. Donghae shrugged and they continued their march to the event. Siwon spoke up.

 

“What is exactly happening tonight?”

 

Donghae lit both their cigars and they began to smoke as they walked. Donghae spoke up.

 

“They have some performers from Seoul here tonight…rumors says that they’re cute girls…hey…I love me some cute girls, right, Cap’n?”

 

Siwon shook head.

 

“Whatever…”

 

They entered the park and walked through the crowd to get some good seats. They sat around the middle and awaited the performance. The soldiers were looking very peculiar for they weren’t in uniform but in white shirts waving pink balloons. Siwon whispered to Donghae.

 

“What’s with all the makeup and balloons?”

 

Donghae giggled.

 

“I see…it’s that new up and rising group…Girls’ Generation…I should have known! That Jessica…man…the things I would do to her…”

 

Siwon ignored his words and quickly turned to the stage. The name of the group sounded familiar. He tossed his cigar and his heart began to pound. Suddenly, the lights went dim and the crowd cheered loudly. Siwon heard a man yell from the back.

 

“It’s Kim Taeyeon!!!”

 

Suddenly, a voice rang out.

 

“Tell me your wish…”

 

The lights blazed on and Girls’ Generation was on stage performing “Tell Me Your Wish.” The crowd erupted with cheers. The girls were wearing y female air force uniforms and high heels. Siwon’s eyes were opened wide by the performance. Suddenly, the music stopped and Tiffany stood out.

 

“DJ…put it back on!!!”

 

The crowd erupted after Tiffany’s line. A fan next to Siwon yelled.

 

“Fany!!!!”

 

Siwon looked at Tiffany and was stunned by her voice and her grasp on the crowd.

 

“Fany?”

 

She did not look like the Tiffany he last saw back in Pasadena. She was outgoing, entertaining, energetic, and absolutely breathtaking. Donghae noticed Siwon had his jaw dropped and nudged him.

 

“Hey…you like them? Aren’t they unbelievable?”

 

“They…are…”

 

“That Tiffany got you, huh?”

 

The song slowly faded off and the crowd applauded loudly as the girls gave a group bow. Suddenly, Tiffany was given the microphone and she began to introduce her band members.

 

“Hello to everyone! Thanks for having us tonight! Let me introduce the group to everyone!”

 

One by one, the girls gave their introductions and the crowd cheered for every member. Siwon was fixated on Tiffany and couldn’t believe she was there. This was the first time he ever saw her perform and he was amazed. Suddenly, Jessica took the microphone.

 

“Hi!!!”

 

Donghae shook his head.

 

“My god…she’s gorgeous….”

 

Jessica spoke up.

 

“Well…it is a pleasure to entertain our armed services…tonight is special…we will give one lucky person an opportunity to get on stage and pick out his favorite member to hug!”

 

The crowd cheered as the rest of the girls laughed. Taeyeon smiled and whispered to Jessica.

 

“This wasn’t part of the plan…”

 

“Let’s do it…it’s just for fun…”

 

Tiffany whispered.

 

“Yeah…plus…they deserve it…just a hug…”

 

“Fine…”

 

Jessica spoke up.

 

“Ok…so…who’s the lucky person?”

 

The search light began to illuminate the whole audience. Donghae stood up and began to wave his arms. The light shined on him. Donghae yelled out.

 

“Hi Jessica! Actually there’s someone who would LOVE to get on stage!!! It’s his birthday!!!”

 

Jessica smiled.

 

“Oh really?!”

 

Siwon pulled on Donghae’s leg but he resisted and responded back.

 

“He’s right here!!!”

 

Donghae pulled Siwon up and the light shined on him. Jessica called him out.

 

“Sir! Happy Birthday!”

 

The crowd screamed with joy.

 

“Go Captain! Get up there!”

 

Siwon looked to Donghae.

 

“You!”

 

“Siwon! Get up there, now!!!”

 

Siwon blushed and quickly walked towards the stage. The girls lifted their eyebrows as Siwon walked up the steps onto the stage. He was wearing his faded sage green flight suit and his sleeves were rolled up revealing his toned forearms. His hair was slick back and his skin tone was bronzed by the endless work out in the sun. Sooyoung shivered with excitement and whispered to Jessica.

 

“My god…he’s hot…”

 

“I know…wait…it can’t be…”

 

Siwon smiled at the girls then he finally set his eyes on Tiffany. Tiffany’s jaw dropped.

 

“Oppa…”

 

“Fany…”

 

They stared at each other as the girls stood by with perplexed looks. Jessica spoke up.

 

“Sir, who would you like to receive a hug from?”

 

Siwon spoke up.

 

“I would like to hug…”

 

He examined all the girls closely. Seohyun seemed too bashful and avoided eye contact while Sunny gave him a flirtatious wink. He made up his mind.

 

“Tiffany…I would like to hug…Tiffany…”

 

The girls swooned and the crowd cheered as Tiffany slowly walked up to Siwon and wrapped her arms around him. He placed his arms around her and tightly held her. He whispered to her.

 

“Tiffany…I missed you…”

 

“Oppa…I missed you too…”

 

The yelling and cheering were slowly drowned out by the beating of their hearts. They slowly eased off and stared into each other’s eyes. Siwon’s heart was beating harder than ever. The love of his life stood before him and he was speechless.

 

End of Chapter 5

 

Siwon retells his story and how he met Yeon Hee, his fateful reunion with Tiffany and all the secrets behind them. What else does Siwon have to explain? When was Seohyun conceived? What about Tiffany’s life long search for happiness? Has she been successful? What else lies in Tiffany’s past? Stay tuned for more “Messages from the Heart”!