Chapter 3

Messages from the Heart

Chapter 3

 

The morning sun was slowly rising as Seohyun made her way through the dusty attic holding her cup of coffee. The previous day was full of excitement and love. With her new handsome husband and shining future ahead of her, she simply couldn’t help herself from getting thrilled but something was still lurking around the corner; that darkness that has been plaguing her ever since she was a child. Her past had constantly been eluding her and she simply couldn’t get a clear answer. She still could remember when her mother was touring with her girl group and how her mother had keep up an image of being a super-cute pop idol that everyone admired. Her mother was deeply hurt when she had to hide her child from the roaring fans. If the fans found out then the group would have been decimated. Seohyun remembered her favorite member who went by the same name as her and how she used to comfort her when Tiffany was out doing her schedules.

 

*Seohyun’s Memory*

 

Little Seohyun played with her stuffed bear as the rest of SNSD were busying cleaning up the dorm. SNSD’s Seohyun saw her playing alone and decided to rest from her studying and entertain the little girl. Seohyun walked over and sat beside her on the couch. Little Seohyun was only 3 years but she was able to speak. She wasn’t able to speak clearly but it was cute enough to drive the girls wild. Seohyun waved at her and the little girl waved back.

 

“Hi…Unnie…”

 

Seohyun was blushing heavily from the cuteness.

 

“What are you doing, little one?”

 

“Playing with my bear?”

 

“Aww…honey…why are you looking down?”

 

“I miss…Mommy…”

 

Seohyun frowned and went over and brushed Little Seohyun’s hair back.

 

“Don’t worry, honey, Mommy will be back…just you wait, alright?”

 

“Seohyun-unnie…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“How come I’m not allowed to walk outside with Mommy?”

 

Seohyun was struck by her sudden question and looked up at Hyoyeon, who was sweeping by and overheard the question. Hyoyeon looked over and answered.

 

“Because…Mommy…she can’t carry you and run around…you’ll be tired….”

 

“Oh…ok!”

 

Seohyun and Hyoyeon both let out a sigh of relief. Seohyun brushed her hair back and returned to her room. Seohyun wiped a tear from her eye and went back to studying. Taeyeon walked by and saw Seohyun getting emotional.

 

“Ya…what’s wrong with you?”

 

Seohyun looked over to Little Seohyun and Taeyeon followed her gaze. Taeyeon spoke up.

 

“What was Fany thinking?”

 

“Taeyeon-Unnie…”

 

“I mean…seriously…getting pregnant like that…foolish…now look….we have to hide her child from the media like the child were cursed…poor girl…”

 

“Tiffany-unnie was following her heart, unnie…”

 

“Her heart?! Please…she saw a man she hadn’t seen in ages then BOOM…pure silliness…”

 

Taeyeon sighed and walked off. Seohyun smiled at the little girl. Seohyun tried her best to give sympathy to Tiffany but Taeyeon was right. Tiffany was very foolhardy about her decisions and it was beginning to take its toll on the entire group.

 

“Poor Fany-unnie…”

 

 Present Time…

 

Seohyun continued to dig through the chest full of letters and came upon her mother’s old journal.

 

“Oh…jackpot…”

 

She sat down and crossed her legs as she began to go through the dusty pages. She could tell by the handwriting that it was the younger version of her mother especially with all the sketches of hearts and flowers on the sides. She skimmed though paragraphs and saw a lot of moments she had with Siwon and the drama with her best friend, Jessica.

 

“I can’t believe Mom and Jessica-unnie were childhood friends before they joined SNSD…they seemed so distant during that time too…”

 

She focused on some main parts of the writing.

 

“Oppa smiled a lot today…I wonder why…”

 

“I came home after a bad day at school…the choir schedule was becoming hectic and college applications were driving me nuts but…Oppa made me some hot cocoa and spoke about a village he visited once…it was a beautiful story yet it makes me think…is there someone else in his life? I hope not…”

 

Seohyun’s eye opened wildly with excitement.

 

“Oh my…Mom’s story about her time at Prom Night…she went with Taecyeon-oppa…I wonder what happened that night...”

 

Tiffany, 17 Years Old

 

It was a warm afternoon as Tiffany left school to prepare for Prom. She was already at the peak of popularity in her high school for not only having talent as a great singer and carrying a cool overall personality on campus, she was also beautiful. All the males began to see that in Tiffany at the end of her junior year and tried to pursue her yet Taecyeon was given the opportunity to be her date to Prom.

 

Things were beginning to change quickly for Tiffany because not only was she accepted to college at University of California, Santa Cruz (UC Santa Cruz) to major in music but her long-time friend and crush, Siwon-oppa, was preparing to return Korea. She tried her best to keep a congenial presence at school but every time she returned home and saw Siwon finishing up the last pieces of his studies in UCLA, it broke her heart. She promised to enjoy her Prom with her best friend Taec and to free herself from Siwon. That would later prove to be close to impossible.

 

Tiffany arrived home and dashed up the steps to drop her backpack. Her sister was planning to take her to Beverly Hills to get her hair and makeup done. Tiffany was ecstatic. Suddenly, there was car honking outside. She went downstairs and opened the door. Her sister was standing up in her convertible.

 

“Hey you! Hurry up already! I have friends to meet later tonight!”

 

“Wait, Unnie! Let me get something to drink!”

 

Tiffany hurried to the kitchen to grab a health shake. As she closed the door, Siwon was just leaving his room. They both looked at each other with a long gaze. Tiffany broke the silence.

 

“Oppa…I thought you were still at class…”

 

“Oh…I finished up early and came home to take a nap…I heard shouting so I came out…are you ready for your dance?”

 

“I will be…I’ll be home to show you!”

 

“Sure thing...”

 

Tiffany smiled and gave a quick bow. Siwon waved goodbye as she jumped into her sister’s car. Samantha whispered.

 

“Look at Oppa…he’s been checking you out these days…”

 

“Come on, Unnie…”

 

“Seriously! You’ve grown up, girl…and he definitely knows…”

 

“EWWW, Unnie…stop…”

 

Samantha backed the car up quickly. Tiffany looked out and saw Siwon waving goodbye. Tiffany blushed and waved back. She hoped that Siwon has been recognizing her as a woman compared to as a naïve little girl.

 

Siwon sighed and shut the door. He began to recall the image of Tiffany as she stood by the refrigerator. Her long black hair and smooth, slender body, Siwon found Tiffany incredibly beautiful. Suddenly, he felt ashamed of his thought of Tiffany.

 

“I can’t…she’s…just a kid…but…she’s gotten so…beautiful…”

 

Siwon shook his head and slowly returned to his room.

 

Taecyeon stood downstairs, in his tuxedo, with a nervous expression on his face. He loosened his bow so he could let out some steam. He was about to take out the girl of his dreams and wasn’t sure if would be able to deliver. He went through a lot to ask Tiffany out especially the crucial breakup he previously had with Jessica. It took its toll on their “trio” but he couldn’t help but love Tiffany. Yet, he knew that Tiffany couldn’t share the same feelings he had but he needed to try and convince her. Samantha came up to him and whispered.

 

“Easy you stupid fool...Fany won’t kill you, okay? Just take care of her tonight because if you don’t…I’ll kill you…”

 

“Got it, Noona…my god…I’m freaking nervous…”

 

“Look at you…so handsome and manly yet afraid of a girl…”

 

“My only girl, Noona…only love…”

 

“Cheesy…don’t get feisty too mister…”

 

“Noona…I respect Fany…”

 

“Good…”

 

Suddenly, Tiffany’s door opened and she slowly began to walk down the steps. Her father and some of the guests were in awe of her beauty. Her hair was tied up neatly into a bun and she wore a flowing light pink dress. She almost resembled a princess. Taecyeon was amazed.

 

“Fany…my goodness you’re…beautiful…”

 

“Thank you, Taec…”

 

Taecyeon took her by the hand and helped her down the steps. The flashes began to erupt from the cameras as if Tiffany and Taecyeon were the celebrity couple of the town. Tiffany’s father was amazed as well.

 

“You two! You two! Picture over there!”

 

Taecyeon and Tiffany posed together by the painting and the cameras went off. Taecyeon placed the corsage on Tiffany wrist and smiled at her.

 

“Ready for tonight, Fany?”

 

Tiffany giggled.

 

“Of course, silly…”

 

Tiffany smiled at all the guests who were taking pictures but then she saw Siwon’s face amidst the crowd. Suddenly, time froze. Siwon had a warm smile as he gazed at her. He held his cup of cocoa and gave an approving nod. She gave her sweetest smile ever and was proud to know that he found her beautiful.

 

“He thinks I’m beautiful…”

 

Taecyeon and Tiffany exited the house and got into his car. Tiffany smiled at Taecyeon as he ignited the engine and backed out. She looked back and saw the crowd cheering. Siwon stood by and waved as well. He gave a deep sigh and returned inside first. Tiffany felt she should be going with Siwon yet she promised Taecyeon. They zoomed to downtown LA to enjoy their prom night.

 

Later that night…

 

The car slowly pulled up at the sidewalk near Tiffany’s home. The couple was both laughing hysterically. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Oh my god…that was so FUN! The dancing! The hotel! Ethan’s suit!!! My god!!!”

 

“I know right!!!”

 

“Taec, thanks for taking me out…I had so much fun! I can’t believe we’re almost graduating…”

 

Taec slowly grew grim.

 

“Yeah…it…hurts…”

 

“I know…at least were still friends…I still try to call Sica but she thinks were together now…that girl…always tripping…and we both want to be singers too…”

 

“Yeah…I know…”

 

“She kept avoiding me at Prom…I really need to speak to her before this year ends…we can’t leave each other like this…”

 

“Fany…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Are you really leaving for Santa Cruz?”

 

“Oh…yeah…I am…they have a great music program…plus…I want to…explore on my own…”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Why?”

 

“I mean…UCLA and USC are nearby…why can’t you study there? I’m going to USC for school…”

 

“I know…but…I need to grow up a little bit…”

 

“Grow up? You’re like the brightest girl I know…”

 

“Haha, no…I mean like…get mature…studying is different…it’s…hard to explain…”

 

Suddenly, Taecyeon placed his hand on Tiffany. Tiffany was surprised and looked up and Taecyeon. He began to tear up.

 

“Fany…I don’t want you to leave…”

 

“Taec…”

 

“Fany…I’ve always liked you ever since we met…I’ve always wanted to tell you but I was scared…when Sica and I dated…I felt sick…she was cute but…Fany…you’re beautiful…you always were…”

 

“Taec…I…”

 

“I love you, Tiffany…”

 

Taecyeon leaned over to kiss her but Tiffany moved away.

 

“You broke up with Sica to get with me…you hurt our best friend for me…”

 

“I tried not to hurt her but…I loved you…she knew too but she tried to deny it…”

 

“Taec…how could you do that? Why didn’t you tell me before?”

 

“Tiffany…I was scared…I thought you would run away…”

 

“Taec! I’m your best friend, remember?”

 

“Fany…”

 

“Now Sica is left in tears…Taec…there were times I liked you…you were kind…helpful…determined…hardworking…and handsome but…knowing that you were willing to hurt others to get what you want…Taec…I never expected that from you…”

 

“Fany…please…I didn’t know what to do…”

 

“Taec…thank you for tonight but…I feel you should be apologizing to someone else…”

 

“Fany!”

 

Tiffany exited the car and walked across the lawn into towards her house. Taecyeon remained at his car and stared at his steering wheel. He began to cry and smack his steering wheel. He turned the engine on and drove off. Tiffany stopped at the front door and turned around. She sighed deeply and sat at the door step.

 

“Taec…how could you?”

 

Suddenly, the front door light shined on and the door opened. Tiffany turned and saw Siwon looking down.

 

“Fany?”

 

“Oppa?”

 

Siwon cracked open two cans of Pepsi and handed one over to Tiffany. Tiffany had a very deep expression on her face and it pained Siwon to see her like that. She was beautiful in her dress but that expression wasn’t doing her any good. Siwon sat beside her as they watched the quiet street in front of them. They could hear the sounds of crickets as they sipped on their sodas. Siwon spoke up.

 

“So, the dance…was it fun?”

 

Tiffany turned and gave a small smile.

 

“Oppa…it was real fun…but something happened right when I arrived home that shattered everything…”

 

Siwon could tell something was really bothering her.

 

“What happened? Did Taecyeon leave you?”

 

“No…Taec was with me the whole time but…it’s complicated…”

 

“I’m all ears…”

 

Tiffany looked over to Siwon and saw his warm smile.

 

“I’ll listen to you, Fany…”

 

“Well…Taec, Sica, and I are…well were…the best of friends…but things changed in high school…Sica grew interested in boys and that let out her wilder side…I was focused on my singing and college applications so I was busy and Taec became an athlete…we sort of…went our separate ways…well things went a little haywire when Sica and Taec started dating…I didn’t mind…I cheered for them but…things weren’t so good…Taec broke up with Sica and broke her heart…Sica always liked Taec…”

 

“I see…”

 

“Then a week later…I’m asked out by Taec to go to Prom with him…I accept him since he’s an old friend and I don’t really trust the boys at school…but then I found out he left Sica so he could be with me…I was angry with that…he tried to kiss me-“

 

“Kiss you?”

 

Tiffany looked up to Siwon then turned quickly to hide her guilt.

 

“We didn’t kiss…I got out and left him…I was so angry, Oppa…I always thought we’d be best friends…but…things changed…”

 

“Things will always change, Fany…as time moves on…friendships and relationships evolve and change…its human nature…you’ll see when you head to Santa Cruz…you’ll meet new people and time will keep going…”

 

Tiffany sniffled and slowly began to tear up.

 

“I don’t want to lose my best friends…”

 

“If you guys were best friends then things won’t change between you all…yeah they’ll be distance…but…those feelings and memories should remain intact…”

 

Siwon put his arm around Tiffany to comfort her. She was soft and smelled sweet. Siwon’s heart began to pound unexpectedly. Tiffany looked up.

 

“I don’t want to lose you either…Siwon-oppa…”

 

They stared at each other’s eyes profoundly. Tiffany wanted to kiss Siwon ever since they first met.

 

“Fany…you won’t lose me…you mean a lot to me…”

 

“Oppa…”

 

Siwon wanted to kiss Tiffany with all his heart but then he remembered his prior commitment. He embraced her then slowly rose from the front step.

 

“Come inside…you’re tired…we’ll speak tomorrow at breakfast…”

 

Siwon opened the door. Tiffany took his hand.

 

“You mean a lot to me too, Oppa…”

 

Siwon smiled.

 

“Thank you, Fany…”

 

He held the door for her as she stepped inside. That moment she shared with Siwon helped her recover from her earlier issue with Taecyeon. She returned to her room and sat on her bed. She looked up at the picture of her friends when they were still in middle school and smiled. She looked to the next picture which had her, her father, sister, and Siwon at a restaurant. She bit her lip then fell back on her bed.

 

“Don’t go, Oppa…”

 

Present time…

 

Seohyun closed the diary and wiped her tears. She could feel her mother’s heart in every passage. Her mother was also an innocent girl who only wanted to love to her heart’s intent. Siwon was the only man for her.

 

“Was he really my father?”

 

Suddenly, Tiffany poked her head out from the door.

 

“Seohyun? It’s so early…I heard your footsteps up here…aren’t you going to help me with breakfast? Grandpa and your hubby are going to be hungry!”

 

“Sure Mom…I’ll be down in a minute…”

 

Seohyun was focused on a picture of man standing in front of a helicopter. He was handsome with his dark black hair combed back, wearing a sage green military flight suit, and dark sun glasses.

 

“Was this Siwon?”

 

She stared at the photo then placed it in her pocket.

 

“I’ll be there in a minute, Mom!”

 

Kyuhyun sipped his coffee and bit the last of his toast. He swallowed the food and leaned over and kissed Seohyun on the cheek Seohyun swooned.

 

“Honey…the breakfast was delicious…”

 

“Of course…I learned from the best…”

 

Seohyun looked over to Tiffany. Tiffany smiled back. Tiffany’s father slowly got up.

 

“Well children, I’ll be heading to the garden…”

 

“Dad, you should rest for today…the garden will still be there…”

 

“I know…I just want to tend to the plants…”

 

Tiffany’s father nodded to the newlyweds and they both smiled back. Seohyun looked over to Kyuhyun.

 

“Honey…I was hoping I could stay back for little while…we’ll go downtown later tonight…”

 

“But…”

 

“I know…I just need to speak with Mom…”

 

Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Honey…please…you should spend time with your husband…I’ll tell you the stories some other time…”

 

Seohyun looked slightly irritated.

 

“Mom…Kyuhyun…this is something very important to me…it’s been plaguing my whole life…and after last night…I finally have some sense of where I’ve came from…Kyuhyun…I hope you understand…I love you dearly…but…I need to find out where I’m from before I leave…”

 

Kyuhyun his wife’s hair.

 

“Fine…I’ll be outside in the garden with Grandpa…”

 

“Thank you honey…”

 

They both kissed and Kyuhyun exited out the door. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Honey…”

 

Seohyun pulled out the photo of Siwon and placed it on the table.

 

“Why can’t you tell me more about him? Is he dead?”

 

“Honey…I…”

 

“Why didn’t you tell each other you loved each other? Why couldn’t you be married?!”

 

“Seohyun…it was complicated…”

 

Seohyun stood up and walked around the kitchen with her hands by her waist.

 

“Mom, I grew up never knowing my father…I got married yesterday and my father wasn’t even there to even give me away…thank goodness Grandpa was there…thank goodness Kyuhyun is the kind and patient man he is…”

 

Tiffany frowned.

 

“Honey…I tried my best to raise you…”

 

“I know you did and that’s what hurts…he was never around…he never picked me up from school like my friend’s fathers did…he never bought me candy…he never watched a movie with me…”

 

Seohyun began to tear up and Tiffany got up and held her. Tiffany slowly began to tear up.

 

“Honey…I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…”

 

“Just tell me more…why did he leave?”

 

“He finished school…he had to return home…”

 

“Why didn’t you tell him you loved him?!”

 

“I was scared…so scared…and I would later found out…he was scared too…”

 

Seohyun slowly sat down across from her mother.

 

“He loved you…”

 

“I wouldn’t find out until later…”

 

“When did he leave?”

 

“That was one of the most painful moments in my life…it was that day summer when I finally graduated from high school…”

 

Tiffany, 17 Years Old

 

The house was filled with music and people. Siwon was leaving the following day to Seoul and Tiffany’s father made a going-away party especially for him. The garden was lit up with gorgeous lanterns and the barbeque grill was sizzling. Siwon walked over to Tiffany’s father.

 

“I appreciate everything…everything, sir…”

 

“My goodness Siwon…it was my pleasure…just tell your father that when my kids visit…they’ll be rooming at his home!”

 

“Of course!”

 

Siwon looked all around the crowd but couldn’t seem to find Tiffany. Tiffany’s father spoke up.

 

“My daughters looked up to you greatly…being their Oppa…I was glad you were able to help guide them to be model citizens and respectful women…Samantha just entered law school and she’ll be in New York this following fall…for Tiffany…she’s going to college up north in UC Santa Cruz…it was hard decision but she’s going to take it…I’m so proud of them and I’m proud of you too, my son…what were you planning to do?”

 

Siwon sipped his beer.

 

“I’m going return to Korea and serve my country…I was planning to enter the Air Force…train to be a pilot…”

 

Tiffany’s father smiled and placed his arm around him.

 

“I’m very proud of you…nothing better than a man willing to serve his country…I served when I was your age and it made me stronger and not afraid to face adversity…after losing my wife…I had to build myself up…thank goodness for my children…”

 

Siwon nodded.

 

“Siwon…thank you for coming here…”

 

“Thank you…”

 

“Now! Go inside…enjoy yourself!”

 

“I will!”

 

Siwon returned inside and chatted with the other older folks who used to room in the Hwang residence. Siwon learned a lot while he lived in the residence especially from the older folks. Their war stories and harsh experiences brought him a lot of wisdom and respect for his countrymen which only fueled him further to enter the military.

 

After a couple of hours of chatting and singing to drunken seniors in the garage, the party was slowly wrapping up. Siwon and Rosa both cleaned the place up as the guests waved goodbye to Siwon.

 

“Thank you!”

 

“Have a safe trip!”

 

“Stay handsome!”

 

“Come back soon!”

 

Siwon waved goodbye to the fleet of cars leaving the residence. He felt sad knowing he might not ever see them again. Rosa spoke up.

 

“Senor Siwon…you have been a great guest here…the Hwang’s will forever love you…”

 

Siwon smiled warmly.

 

“Gracias Rosa for your hard work…”

 

“It’s my job, senor…you are always welcome…”

 

Siwon zipped up the last of his bags and took one more look around his room. He smiled and rolled his bags out to the living room. His flight was leaving early in the morning so he was planning to stay up for the rest of the night. Suddenly, he heard footsteps from the stair case. It was Tiffany.

 

“Fany? Where were you?”

 

He saw her eyes and could tell she had been crying for awhile. Siwon took her face.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“I’m fine…Oppa…just can’t sleep that’s all…”

 

“Fany, come with me…let’s have hot cocoa…”

 

Tiffany sat from across the table from Siwon. They both looked at each quietly as they sipped their last hot cocoa together. Suddenly, Tiffany burst into tears.

 

“You promised you wouldn’t leave me!”

 

She quickly got up and embraced Siwon. Siwon rubbed her back as she cried heavily into his chest.

 

“Tiffany…I’m sorry…but…I have to go home…my family needs me…”

 

“Oppa…I need you…”

 

“Tiffany, stop crying and look at me…look at me!”

 

Tiffany looked up and her eyes were swollen and her snot was dripping. Siwon took a napkin and wiped her face.

 

“The most beautiful girl at your high school and you are here crying like a big baby! You’re going to embarrass your Oppa…”

 

“Oppa…seriously…”

 

“Of all the people I met here…you have been favorite and you mean a lot to me…here…I have something to give you…”

 

He walked over to his bag and pulled out a small piece of paper.

 

“Here…”

 

“What is this?”

 

“My address back home…”

 

“Why?”

 

“So we could write to each other, silly…”

 

“Couldn’t we just email or facebook each other?”

 

“We could…but…letters…they’re more special…I prefer to write too…much more joy and excitement…”

 

“Oh…well…I promise to write you as soon as possible!”

 

Siwon smiled.

 

“Me too, Fany…me too…”

 

Siwon stood in front of the airport security check point. He turned and saw the family who cared for him for the past four years, the dedicated and proud, Mr. Hwang, and his sweet daughter Tiffany. Siwon’s heart was beginning to pound and sadness was beginning to set in.

 

“Alright, sir…I guess I’m off now…”

 

“Tell your father I said ‘hello’,”

 

“Alright, sir…”

 

Tiffany refused to look at Siwon.

 

“Tiffany…I want to thank you for being my friend…”

 

Tiffany was wiping her tears.

 

“I will never forget you…”

 

Siwon leaned over and embraced her. She held on to him tightly. They both eased back and Siwon began to make his way through. As he passed the window, Tiffany whispered.

 

“I love you, Oppa…I love you so…much…”

 

Tiffany’s father rubbed her back.

 

“Don’t worry honey…you’ll meet again…trust me…”

 

Tiffany looked at her father.

 

“Dad…Siwon meant a lot to me and one day I will marry him…”

 

Tiffany began to weep and ran into the restroom. Tiffany’s father was shocked.

 

“Fany…Siwon…”

 

Tiffany wept in the restroom the whole morning. Later, her father had to drag her out. It took a month for Tiffany to recover from Siwon’s departure. She barely went out and remained in bed all day. It was a horrible sight. One day, her sister came into her room to look for a spare hair clip and she couldn’t open the door.

 

“YA! FANY! OPEN UP! I NEED A HAIRCLIP!”

 

The door slowly opened and Samantha was surprised.

 

“What the heck happened to you?”

 

Tiffany’s eye bags were low and her hair was a disaster. Samantha grew angry.

 

“You’re still crying over Siwon? My god…get over him…he was dreamy but please…face reality…he’s in Korea now…move on!”

 

“I can’t…”

 

Samantha shook her head then headed over to Tiffany’s messy dresser. She found several hairclips and prepared to walkout. Samantha spoke up.

 

“Write to him then…that should lighten the pain a little…”

 

Samantha walked out as Tiffany sat quiet on her bed. Tiffany thought to herself then jumped back to reach her wallet. She dug out the address that Siwon left behind.

 

“I’ll write to him…I’ll let him know I’m preparing to leave to Santa Cruz…and that…I’m still thinking of him….”

 

Tiffany grabbed a pencil and paper and began to write to Siwon.

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Present Time

 

Tiffany dug through the chest full of letters and pulled out a faded white envelope from the bottom. Seohyun focused her eyes on the envelope. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“This was the first letter I received from Siwon…it took a month to hear from him but when I received it…I promised to never lose it…I read it over and over again…”

 

Seohyun’s eyes began to water up as Tiffany started to read the letter.

 

*The letter read*

 

Dear Fany,

 

                It’s so nice to hear from you again. I was wondering when you would ever write to me? Well, it’s nice to know you’re heading to college now and finally grown up and be that musician you’ve always wanted. I promise I will get to see you perform one day.

 

Seoul is beautiful during these days but extremely hot! It wasn’t as cool as California but I have to it up because I’ll be heading into military training and onwards to pilot training. I really do miss it back at your home and the rest of the family. Life wasn’t as hectic! Again, it’s time for me to grow as well, crazy huh?

 

                Well, you take care as always. Be safe and study hard. Also…take care of your heart and make sure to you don’t give it anyone so willingly…enjoy your college days and keep in touch…

 

                                                                                                                Your Oppa,

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Choi Siwon

 

Tiffany folded the letter and placed it back into envelope.

 

“I received the letter right before I set out for Santa Cruz…what push to me to be a singer and performer even further was his intention that he would see me perform…”

 

“Did he?”

 

“He did…when I was finally was accepted into SM Seoul…but it was never arranged or anything…it was all a coincidence…”

 

“Mom…but what took you so long to reveal your love for him?”

 

Tiffany sighed and placed the letter back into the chest.

 

“Mom! Tell Me!”

 

“He was engaged…”

 

“Engaged?”

 

Tiffany pulled out another faded white envelope and Seohyun stared at it. Seohyun could sense a lot of pain came from this letter and from her mother’s eyes, there was whole new story being ready to be told from it.

 

End of Chapter 3

 

Seohyun wants to know her origins and the deeper she travels the more she learns about her mother and the years of pain she endured to raise her child. The pain Tiffany experienced when her friends parted ways and the departure of Siwon. It was a lot to take in. Now, Seohyun will learn that there was another woman in Siwon’s life. What will come out of this tale? Will we learn more about Siwon’s past? Stay tuned for more, “Messages from the Heart”!