Chapter 8

Messages from the Heart

Chapter 8

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Pasadena,CA

 

After hearing his voice again, Tiffany couldn’t help but begin to cry.

 

“Siwon…”

 

“Fany, forgive me…it’s been too long…I needed to call you…”

 

“How…how are you?”

 

“I’m living in Jeju now…I run my own little tourist flight tour around the island…”

 

Tiffany sighed deeply and wiped her tears. Tiffany giggled a little.

 

“I see…”

 

Siwon smiled.

 

“It’s nice to hear your voice again too…”

“I still sing…I am a vocal teacher here in Pasadena…”

 

“That’s nice…I’m glad you never gave up on your dream…”

 

Tiffany slowly sat down.

 

“Oppa…you sound older now…”

 

Siwon laughed.

 

“Yeah…I’m 51 now…”

 

Tiffany gasped.

 

“Well…we haven’t gotten any younger…”

 

“Yet…when I hear you…I feel young again…”

 

Tiffany laughed.

 

“Same here…”

 

Suddenly, they were both silent. Hundreds of thoughts began to run through their minds. Tiffany broke the silence.

 

“Seohyun told me she met you…”

 

“She did…it was a real coincidence…”

 

“I thought the same thing too…”

 

“If she never came then…”

 

“We wouldn’t have spoken to each other like this again…”

 

There was silence again. Siwon hesitated. He didn’t know what to say. He yearned to see Tiffany again and fulfill the opportunity to have her love again.

 

“Fany…”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Our child is beautiful…you have been…a good mother…I…I…don’t know what to say about myself…”

 

Tiffany sighed.

 

“Life was hard…real hard…yet…I had a lot of support…my family and my group…”

 

Siwon wiped his tear.

 

“I’m thankful for them…”

 

“Siwon…”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Why…why didn’t you stop me?”

 

Siwon tried to remember what she meant.

 

“Stop you?”

 

“At the airport that day…”

 

“I had to let you go…”

 

“Why? I never knew why…”

 

“Yeon Hee…she…she was dying that day…”

 

Tiffany began to shed tears and regretted her selfishness.

 

“I made so many mistakes, Fany…so many I lost count…that day was painful for me…that day my heart was broken in half and what’s left is the man you’re speaking to right now…”

 

“Yeon Hee…you weren’t wrong to leave her side…”

 

Siwon placed his face in his hands.

 

“I still remember that day…it was snowing…”

 

Siwon, 37 Years Old, Seoul, Korea

 

 

Siwon sat quietly in the hospital waiting room while his son played with his toy airplane. He felt empty. He looked over to his son and his son looked up at him. Minho asked a question to his father.

 

“Dad, will Mom be okay?”

 

Siwon was silent and looked over to the clock. It was 8:45 P.M. He did not know what to do with himself. At that moment, his world was being torn in half. First, his wife had collapsed in the kitchen earlier in the day and she was in the operating room. The doctors told him she suffered a terrible aneurysm in the head and that she will be needed for more surgery and tests.  Yeon Hee was in critical condition.

 

Second, he received news that Tiffany and their daughter, Seohyun were planning to return to America for good. After several turbulent years and a demolished reputation in the media, Girls’ Generation was being disbanded. The K-pop world was devastated. The girls were planning to set out on their individual projects. Siwon was the first to know what was happening with Tiffany. Her flight was leaving later at 10pm that night. Siwon placed his face in hands and tried to fight his tears. The two women who meant everything to him were suffering because of his mistakes and there was a chance that both of them would be taken away from him. Suddenly, the doctor walked out the surgery room and called for Siwon.

 

“Choi Siwon…”

 

Siwon looked up. The doctor could tell he was miserable.

 

“Your wife…she’ll survive the night…”

 

“Thank goodness…”

 

Minho held onto his father’s hand tightly.

 

“Yet…we have other troubling news…”

 

“Troubling?”

 

“Yeon Hee…she…we found a small tumor in her brain…we ran a CAT scan to double check…your wife…she’s suffering from brain cancer…”

 

Siwon dropped back to his chair.

 

“Sir?”

 

“Cancer…”

 

“I’m sorry to tell you this…the cancer has slowly spread…we can’t tell how long she has but…we can slow it down with chemotherapy…”

 

Siwon began to lose focus on what the doctor was saying.

 

“Sir? Do you understand what’s going on? Your wife…she’s dying…”

 

Siwon stood up. He pulled his son over to him and whispered.

 

“Watch Mom for a moment…Daddy will be right back…”

 

“Dad, where are you going?”

 

“There’s…something I need to take care of…”

 

Siwon looked to the doctor.

 

“Doctor…thank you for your work…I will do whatever it takes…but…there’s something I need to do at the moment…”

“Oh…”

 

Siwon nodded and quickly exited the hospital. The cold air hit him on the face as he dashed out the doors towards his car. At that moment, he needed to save what was left of his heart for he knew that in a matter of time, his life was going to change tremendously.

 

Minho slowly entered the room where his mother rested. The room was dim and he could hear the machines beeping all around his mother. He looked to her and saw the bandage tied around her head. She was asleep. Minho went over and began to tap his mother’s arm.

 

“Mommy…you need to wake up now…it’s snowing…it’s very pretty…”

 

Minho looked out the window and saw the snow slowly falling. He turned to his sleeping mother and began to sob.

 

“Mommy, please wake up…”

 

The airport was crowded because of the rush of people looking to travel during the holidays. Siwon looked all around the ticket booths and the baggage claims for Tiffany. He needed to see her face one more time before she left. He stood on top of the chair and looked across the mass of people.

 

“Tiffany…please, don’t leave me yet…”

 

Suddenly, he saw a familiar face in the crowd. It was Jessica. She was wearing sunglasses to avoid any confrontations with fans. The fans weren’t too pleased with SNSD’s sudden break-up and the girls were being ridiculed for their betrayal.

 

Siwon hopped off the chair and pushed through the crowd. He placed his hand on Jessica and startled her.

 

“Sica…”

 

Jessica quickly turned to him.

 

“Siwon?!”

 

“I know you’re trying to stay low…but…I need your help…where’s Fany?”

 

“Tiffany?”

 

“Yes…”

 

Jessica hesitated.

 

“Sica…please tell me where she is….this might be the last time we ever see each other again…”

 

Jessica sighed.

“She’s over at the gift shop gathering some snacks for little Seohyun…we’re leaving together…our flight is in about 30 minutes though…if you see her…tell her I went ahead…”

 

Siwon nodded and ran over to the gift shop. As he approached it, he caught Tiffany paying for her coffee and picking up her bags. A cute little girl followed close behind her. Siwon approached her.

 

“Tiffany…”

 

Tiffany looked up and was shocked.

 

“Oppa…”

 

Siwon pulled her close to him and held her. She slowly dropped her bags and placed her arms around him. Siwon began to tear up.

 

“I’ve missed you…so much…”

 

Tiffany removed her sunglasses and began to tear up as well.

 

“I thought I would never see you again…”

 

They both eased off each other and Siwon looked to his daughter who shyly hid behind her mother. Siwon felt ashamed for never getting to know his only daughter. Tiffany spoke to Seohyun.

 

“Seohyun…baby…this man…this man is Mommy’s…”

 

She looked to him. Siwon bent over and offered her a handshake.

 

“Your mother’s old friend…how do you do?”

 

Seohyun slowly walked up to him and took his hand.

 

“I’m fine, sir…”

 

Siwon nearly burst in tears. He slowly stood up and looked to Tiffany.

 

“So…you are really leaving…”

 

Tiffany slowly shook her head.

 

“I guess it’s too late to change your mind, huh?”

 

Tiffany let out a small laugh.

 

“It is…Oppa…”

 

“Tiffany…don’t cry…please…smile for me…as you always did…”

 

He placed his hand under chin and slowly lifted her face to see her smile again. Tiffany wiped her tears and looked to him. He gently placed his lips on hers and they kissed tenderly. He longed for the taste of her sweet lips. The passion for each other’s love still burnt bright between them which left a bittersweet feeling. Tiffany eased back and let out a small laugh.

 

“Oh Oppa…I will miss you…”

 

They both hugged each other tightly. They didn’t want to leave each other’s arms. They wanted to be left suspended in that moment together forever. At that moment, Siwon and Tiffany felt the true love they were nurturing together and their hearts ached painfully knowing that would be separated once again due to their circumstances. Siwon released her. He wiped her tear.

 

“Tiffany…you must go now…I won’t…stop you…”

 

“Oppa…I will never forget you…please…one day…find me…”

 

She picked up her bags.

 

“Seohyun…let’s go baby…”

 

Tiffany and Seohyun walked passed Siwon and followed the crowd towards the security check. Siwon watch as the love of his life and his only daughter slowly drift away and disappeared in the crowds of people. Siwon felt his heart weakened. Suddenly, he remembered he was needed elsewhere.

 

“Yeon Hee…”

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Pasadena, CA, Present Time…

 

Tiffany wiped her tears and made a small laugh.

 

“Oh my…what a moment we had, huh?”

 

Siwon cleared his throat and laughed as well.

 

“I couldn’t believe how much we went through…to only be separated again…”

 

“But…you couldn’t leave…it was because of Yeon Hee, yes?”

 

“Yes…she was ill with cancer…I couldn’t leave her…”

 

“I understand…actually…I understood back then as well…but I was young and lonely as well…I wanted your love as much as she did…”

 

“She knew of us though…”

 

“She did?”

 

“During her last days we spoke…we spoke more intimate and deep…deeper than we ever did…”

 

Siwon, 38 Years Old, Seoul, Korea

 

After hearing the news of Yeon Hee’s cancer, the family was going to go great lengths to keep her alive. With the company steadily making profits, Siwon was going to spend every penny they had but Yeon Hee thought otherwise. Siwon dedicated himself in staying by her side every night and day.

 

“Yeon Hee…I will be right here for you…I promise…”

 

As the days stretched onto months, Yeon Hee grew weaker and weaker. Her lively skin turned pale and her hair had all fallen out due to the exposure of radiation in the chemotherapy. Yeon Hee had slowly transformed from an angelic beauty flowing with grace to an empty vessel awaiting death. It hurt Siwon to see her deteriorate yet Yeon Hee was further ravaged by seeing Siwon hurt by her side.

 

“Siwon…”

 

Because of Yeon Hee’s illness, they had further bonded and their conversations were more intimate. Compared to the days of their early marriage where they barely saw each other because of work and trips, they were finally able to be alone and reflect together. Siwon felt that if he were to capture more time with Yeon Hee, it would have saved their marriage.

 

After a year of treatment and stacks of bills, the cancer was not slowing down and death was inevitable. That week, Siwon left work without notice to sit by her side. Minho was on break from school due to winter vacation so he was present as well.

 

“I would never forget Christmas Eve…”

 

The priest had walked out of Yeon Hee’s room after saying her last prayers. It was a matter of time before she passed away. Minho was in tears as he walked out the room. He hugged his grandfather. Siwon looked over to the grieving families from both sides. The nurse came out and called for Siwon.

 

“Sir…you are needed by your wife’s side…”

 

Siwon nodded and proceeded to the room. Before he entered, he touched his son’s head but his son avoided his touch. He could feel the anger from his son. He would later find out that Minho was told the truth of Siwon’s real love. Siwon sighed and slowly entered. That would be the last conversation he would share with Yeon Hee.

 

He closed the door behind him and looked over to his frail wife. He could hear the beeping of the life support as it ached away to preserve what’s left of Yeon Hee.

 

“Yeon Hee…”

 

Yeon Hee lifted her hand.

 

“Siwon…please…sit…”

 

He walked over to the chair and sat beside her. He touched her hand.

 

“How are you doing?”

 

Yeon Hee breathed deeply.

 

“I’m…fine…”

 

Siwon tried his best to fight his tears.

 

“I…I…don’t know how this could happen to us…”

 

Yeon Hee smiled.

 

“It was my time...I guess…”

 

Siwon shook his head.

 

“You didn’t deserve to leave so soon…”

 

Siwon put his head down and began to sob. Yeon Hee touched his head.

 

“Siwon…look at me…”

 

Siwon looked up and wiped his tears.

 

“I want you to watch over our son…he looks up to you and wants to be as strong as you…”

 

“Yeon Hee…I will try my best…but…I am not strong…I was never strong…”

 

Yeon Hee was silent and listened.

 

“I let my heart dictate my decisions too many times…and…I made too many mistakes…too many…”

 

Siwon grinded his teeth to stop from sobbing but he couldn’t help it. There was dark void of guilt growing on his heart and he needed to confess.

 

“Siwon…”

 

“Yeon Hee…please forgive me…forgive me…I just…I just couldn’t find it in my heart to return your love…”

 

Siwon began to cry. Yeon Hee responded.

 

“Siwon…forgive me…for making you…try…”

 

Siwon looked up to Yeon Hee. She placed her hand on his face and wiped his tears.

 

“I still remember when you first visited our village…you were a rich boy looking to escape…I was just a simple farm girl…in love…”

 

Siwon touched her hand on his face.

 

“I would have never thought we would have made it this far…Siwon…I knew you never loved me…I knew you cared…I knew you were committed in our family and the business…but…that one part…that thing I desired the most…was already given away…”

 

“How…”

 

“When we visited Mr.Hwang’s home all those years ago…his daughter…Tiffany…when I first you two make eye contact…there was a spark…a spark I have never seen…for all these years I denied everything…I was selfish…”

 

“Yeon Hee…please don’t do this…I was wrong…”

 

“You weren’t wrong…you were in love…and there was nothing you could do…I was in love too so I did whatever it took to keep you…”

 

Siwon shook his head and placed his face on her shoulder.

 

“Siwon…I am thankful though…you left me with many memories and a child…I couldn’t ask for more…”

 

Siwon looked to her and could feel her drifting away.

 

“YEON HEE!”

 

“Siwon…you are…free…”

 

“NO! YEON HEE! NO!!!”

 

She slowly closed her eyes. The heart meter went flat line and a long beep sound rang out. Siwon screamed for the nurse.

 

“HELP! MY WIFE!!! SHE’S NOT WAKING UP!!!”

 

The nurses and doctors crashed through the doors and tried to resuscitate her. Minho ran to his father and watched as they tried to bring Yeon Hee back to life.

 

“MOMMY!!!”

 

Minho cried painfully as Siwon held him tightly. Siwon could feel his knees grow weak. After several attempts, the doctor wiped his brow and looked to Siwon.

 

“She’s gone…”

 

Siwon began to sob and slammed his fist against the wall.

“No…oh god…no…”

 

Yeon Hee loved him with all of her heart and Siwon was never able to equal the amount of love she gave to him. She was loyal and hardworking. Not once in their marriage did she ever raise her voice. Siwon felt his heart break and fell to his knees. The nurses helped him up as he sobbed.

 

“I never told her I loved her…”

 

Siwon’s father came in and helped his son. Siwon looked back to this dead wife.

 

“Thank you for the memories as well…”

 

He remembered the night he told her he was leaving her village. The tears that rolled out of her eyes made him yearn for the past.

 

“I don’t deserve to love again…”

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Pasadena, CA, Present Time…

 

Tiffany and Siwon were both crying on the phone as Siwon told his story of Yeon Hee. Tiffany never knew how much pain occurred in Siwon’s past and always thought that he simply returned to his legitimate family.

 

“Oppa…I never knew…”

 

Siwon cleared his throat.

 

“It was something that always lurked around my past…after that moment…I left the company and lived on Jeju ever since…”

 

“What about your father?”

 

“He passed away a couple of years back…we talked before he passed and apologized for the pressure he placed on me…I apologized that I wasn’t the son he expected…we forgave each other…”

 

“I see…”

 

“Tiffany…to this day…I still hold true…my…love for you has never disappeared…”

 

Tiffany was stunned.

 

“That time you left me in the airport…I wished for the day to speak or see you again…that wish came in the form of our daughter Seohyun…”

 

Tiffany began to weep.

 

“I love you, Siwon…I still do…”

 

Siwon began to weep.

 

“When I left you to return to Korea…I knew my heart would still linger for you…I should have never left…”

 

Tiffany bit her lip and walked over to the window to look to the stars.

 

“When will we meet again?”

 

“As soon as possible…I will come to you…let me straighten things here…I will come back for you…Fany…”

 

Tiffany smiled and began to weep.

 

“I was always waiting for you…Oppa…I will wait for your love…”

 

“Tiffany…I need to go now…I will call you when things are ready, alright?”

 

Tiffany smiled and let out a laugh.

 

“Oppa…oh how I miss you…”

 

“I miss you too…Fany…I have always missed you…”

 

“Goodbye…Oppa…”

 

“Goodbye…Fany…”

 

Siwon hung up and Tiffany sighed deeply and wiped her tears. Tiffany’s father slowly walked into the kitchen after hearing her conversation.

 

“Siwon is returning?”

 

Tiffany saw her father and smiled. She wiped the last of her tears and shook her head.

 

“How sweet…I always knew you two were meant to be…the purest love I have ever seen…”

 

Tiffany went over to her father and embraced him.

 

“Daddy…I am happy…”

 

Her father caressed her back.

 

“I am happy for you…”

 

Seohyun, New York City, Present Time

 

Seohyun removed her headphones and exited the sound booth. Kyuhyun went over the recorded song.

 

“You need to fix your pitch on that last part, alright?”

 

Seohyun chugged down a bottle of water.

 

“Babe…we’ve been here for at least 5 hours…please…let’s rest…”

 

Kyuhyun placed his headphones down and walked over to his wife. He smiled and placed his arms around her. She rested her head on his chest.

 

“I’m sorry…I’m tired…”

 

“Aww…baby is tired…”

 

“Stop…I am…you’ve been bullying me all day!”

 

“What?!”

 

Seohyun playfully pushed away.

 

“Yeah…since you’re a bully…no love tonight…”

 

“NOT FAIR!”

 

Seohyun laughed and slapped his arm.

 

“Ya! I’m hungry…let’s go out and eat!”

 

“Fine…”

 

“Please…I’ll kiss you…”

 

“Fine…then kiss me!”

 

Seohyun pecked a kiss on his cheek.

 

“Ok…now…on the lips…”

 

Seohyun smiled then kissed him on the lips.

 

“Wow…sweet as candy…”

 

“Ok…now can we go out?!”

 

“Ok…let’s go…”

 

“Yay!!!”

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Seohyun burped as Kyuhyun finished the last of the sushi roll.

 

“God…I am full…”

 

Seohyun nodded.

 

“Hey,  I’ll be right back…I need to use the bathroom…”

 

“Don’t get lost…I won’t look for you…”

 

“Whatever…”

 

They both laughed and Seohyun excused herself to the restroom. She walked around the busy waiters and crowded tables and made it to the back where the fancy restrooms were. She entered and proceeded to the stall. She sat down and relieved herself. She noticed there was someone else in the restroom. She finished and proceeded to the sink. As she washed her hands, she could hear a familiar voice in the other stall. She was on the phone. Seohyun prolonged her hand washing to see who the woman was. The stall door opened and out came an old friend.

 

“Unnie?”

 

The former maknae, Seohyun, looked up and her jaw dropped.

 

“Hold on…I’ll call you back…”

 

Seohyun shut her phone and her jaw dropped.

 

“Little Seohyun?!”

 

“Unnie! It is you!”

 

They both embraced. Seohyun eased off.

 

“Hold on, little Seo, I need to wash up…”

 

“Ok Unnie…”

 

Seohyun washed her hands and dried off.

 

“What are you doing here in New York?”

 

“Unnie, I’m married now and we live here!”

 

“What?! Married?”

 

“Yeah! Come and meet my husband!”

 

“Oh ok!”

 

Seohyun escorted her Unnie to meet Kyuhyun. Seohyun arrived and introduced her.

 

“Kyuhyun…this is my idol and old friend…Seo Joo Hyun!”

 

Seohyun smiled and bowed.

 

“Nice to meet the man caring for my little sister…”

 

“Nice to meet you too…so…wait…you are both named Seohyun?”

 

“Yeah…her mother, Tiffany, named her after my stage name…my name is actually Joo Hyun but…Seohyun stuck…”

 

Kyuhyun smiled to his wife.

 

“It is great to meet you…”

 

Seohyun stood on the balcony and watched the traffic below.

 

“Unnie, here’s some wine…”

 

Seohyun smiled.

 

“Thanks…”

 

“Wow…what a real coincidence…”

 

“I can’t believe it either…you have grown into such a beautiful woman and you have a very caring husband…”

 

“I’m thankful…you have also remained beautiful…still have that babyface!”

 

“Haha…not a baby anymore though…”

 

“Aren’t you married, Unnie?”

 

“I was…now…I’m divorced…”

 

“Divorced?”

 

“Remember Yongwa-Oppa?”

 

“Yeah…wait…you guys were married?”

 

“We were…after the group dissolved…I went to work with him…we fell in love…got married…but there were complications…”

 

“Complications?”

 

“We both wanted to have kids…we tried and tried…but we were never successful…”

 

Seohyun shook her head and sipped on her wine. She sat in closer to listen to her Unnie.

 

“Then…we visited a doctor…we both got checked…then I was discovered to have problems with my ovaries…I was infertile…”

 

Seohyun gasped.

 

“I couldn’t have kids…Yongwa tried to understand…we tried to keep our love alive…but…it was too painful…as time went on…we drifted apart…he ended up filing for divorce…I accepted…”

 

“I’m sorry, Unnie…”

 

“Funny thing is…after a few months…he married his best friend from high school…they raised a family and everything…”

 

“Wow…I…can’t believe that…heartless…”

 

Seohyun wiped her tears.

 

“I understood him though…he wanted more…and I couldn’t give that to him…it was only right to end what we had…”

 

“Unnie…”

 

Seohyun sighed.

 

“Aww…I can’t believe I’m bringing up old wounds here…”

 

“Oh, don’t worry…these past weeks have been all about old, painful memories…”

 

“Really?”

 

“I found out everything about my past…my mother’s beginnings in SNSD…her first love…her affairs…I even met my real father…”

 

“You did?”

 

“Choi Siwon…he’s very kind man…never really spent too much time with him…but…he was my father…and I’m thankful we met…”

 

Seohyun turned pale.

 

“Unnie…you okay?”

 

“Siwon…he…he…isn’t your father…”

 

“Wait…what?”

 

Seohyun stood up and went over to the balcony.

 

“Unnie, you are not making any sense…how could he not be my father?”

 

“Because the company tested you if you were truthfully Siwon’s child…the results were false…”

 

Seohyun fell onto her chair stunned. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

 

“Then…who is my REAL father?”

 

Seohyun looked to her.

 

“Ok Taecyeon…”

 

Seohyun could feel her whole world crumbling all over again.

 

End of Chapter 8

 

Siwon and Tiffany finally speak again and their love hasn’t changed one bit, will they’ll be able to see each other again? With Seohyun finding out more intriguing news about her past, will this hinder Siwon and Tiffany’s chance to be together again? What is the story behind Taecyeon? More to come in the last chapters of “Messages from the Heart”!