Chapter 9

Messages from the Heart

Chapter 9

 

Seohyun, New York City, Present Time

 

Seohyun stood quietly on the balcony as she stared out at the city. Kyuhyun slowly approached her from behind and placed a blanket on her.

 

“Seohyun…”

 

Seohyun was slightly startled.

 

“Oh…it’s you…”

 

“Why are you out here? You might catch a cold…let’s go back inside…”

 

“Kyuhyun…am I cursed?”

 

“What? No…cursed? Pssh…everyone doesn’t have a perfect life…”

 

Seohyun began to slowly tear up and Kyuhyun wiped her tears.

 

“But…we try to make do with what we have…”

 

“Was my mom cursed?”

 

“She didn’t have the brightest of lives…she did have her glory though…and she did have her share of dark days as well…but she’s only human…”

 

“After hearing Unnie’s story…I don’t know who to believe anymore…”

 

“Seohyun…”

 

“Kyuhyun…I need to go home…”

 

“Wait…not now…we are so close to finishing up the single…”

 

Seohyun moved out of Kyuhyun’s arms.

 

“I will never be at peace knowing my Mom is still lost in her own life…”

 

Kyuhyun slowly began to grow frustrated.

 

“Seohyun…we went over this before…this song…this has been our project we’ve been planning since we were in high school…you can’t just leave because of some fairy tale story that keeps you awake all night…”

 

Seohyun froze after hearing Kyuhyun’s words. Kyuhyun knew he struck a nerve.

 

“A fairy tale?”

 

Kyuhyun kept a serious face.

 

“I didn’t mean it like that-“

 

“If you don’t want to help then….fine…I’m going alone!”

 

Seohyun turned her back on him and returned into their bedroom.

 

“Seohyun! Wait!”

 

Seohyun went into her closet and threw her luggage case onto the bed. She started tossing clothes into her case. Kyuhyun hurried in and started throwing things out.

 

“Seohyun! Listen to me! You need to move on!”

 

Seohyun was beginning to sob.

 

“Seohyun! Stop!”

“No!”

 

Kyuhyun slammed her case and threw across the room. Seohyun ran up to Kyuhyun and began to pound on his chest. Kyuhyun held her tightly.

 

“You bastard! Let me go! Let me go!”

 

“No! If you keep seeking the past, you’ll never move on!”

 

“Please! I need to save my Mom!”

 

Kyuhyun looked to Seohyun as she slowly dropped to her knees and cried. Kyuhyun sat beside her and held her.

 

“Ever since I was child….my Mom always worked hard…she tried her best to keep smiling…I used to watch her on TV as she danced and sang…I always wondered where her inspiration came from…I need to help my Mom find her heart…if I don’t…I probably won’t get another chance…so…please…please…”

 

Seohyun began to whimper as Kyuhyun her hair.

 

“Baby…I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…”

 

Kyuhyun kissed her on the forehead and looked up towards the window. He thought to himself.

 

“Please…let her find her answers…so…she can come back to me…please…”

 

Siwon, 51 Years Old, Jeju Island, Present Time…”

 

The sun was slowly rising outside and roosters began to crow. Minho rolled over in his bed and could smell the rich scent of coffee being made. He hadn’t smelled something so good since his mother passed away. He felt a strange sting of nostalgia and quickly got out his bed. He ran down the stairs and was shocked at what he saw.

 

“Dad?! Did you clean up the place?!”

 

Siwon poked his head from the front porch sliding door and smiled.

 

“I did actually…it was about time huh?”

 

Minho made a small laugh and scratched his head as he joined his father. Siwon was sitting comfortably on the door step as he watched the sun rise.

 

“Why are you up early?”

 

“I don’t know…I just wanted to…”

 

Siwon smelled the morning air and smiled.

 

“I just have a feeling…something good will happen…”

 

Minho lifted his eyebrow.

 

“I see…could I have some coffee as well?”

 

“It’s hot cocoa actually…and yes you may…”

 

“You never make hot cocoa…strange…oh well…”

 

Minho ducked back inside to grab a cup. Siwon smiled to himself at the thought of seeing Tiffany’s bright smiled again.

 

“I hope to see you soon…Fany…”

 

Seohyun, New York City, Present Time

 

Kyuhyun and Seohyun looked at each other deeply as Seohyun prepared to depart in the airport. Kyuhyun smiled.

 

“I hate these scenes…”

 

Seohyun giggled and hugged him.

 

“I’m not leaving you…okay…I’ll be back right away…”

 

“You better…I can’t stand that apartment when I’m alone…it’s…creepy…”

 

Seohyun smacked his arm.

 

“Hey, I like our apartment!”

 

Kyuhyun laughed then hugged her tightly.

 

“Geez…I swear if you come back with no results…I give up!”

 

“I will…don’t worry…”

 

They both kissed and hugged again. Seohyun grabbed her bag and went through security. Kyuhyun waved goodbye to her as she passed through.

 

“I will set things straight…I promise…”

 

Siwon, 51 Years Old, Jeju Island, Present Time

 

The propellers slowly died down as the last passengers boarded off. Siwon got down the ladder and took his sunglasses off.

“Thank you, Mr. Choi for the great tour!”

 

“Absolutely! You two lovebirds have a goodnight!”

 

The honeymooners waved goodbye and returned to the office to catch their ride. Siwon sighed and looked to his small airplane. Minho saw his father from the office window. He began to think about their conversation they shared a couple nights ago.

 

“I wonder…”

 

Siwon placed some spit on his thumb and began to rub out a small smudge on the surface of the plane. Suddenly, Minho spoke out.

 

“Dad?”

 

Siwon was startled and turned around.

 

“Hey! What’s up?”

 

“Dad…I was thinking…want to grab some beers at the beach bar?”

 

Siwon smiled.

 

“Why not?”

 

The bartender snapped open the cold bottles of beer and handed them to the father and son. They both sipped on them. Minho spoke first.

 

“Dad, I was wondering…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I recognized that you have been…looking…better these past couple of days…”

 

Siwon nodded.

 

“You didn’t happen to…score on any chicks behind my back, have you?”

 

Siwon burst out laughing.

 

“What?!!!”

 

“I’m just asking…because…I don’t know…these tourist chicks aren’t really the easiest to chat to…”

 

“Minho…I can help you on that part but…if you were wondering why I’m happy right now…it’s not because I got with some chick, okay?”

 

“Okay, then…what is it?”

Siwon sighed then smiled.

 

“I spoke with an old friend…”

 

“Oh…Donghae-hyung?”

 

“No…I spoke with that fool today…still being silly…no, actually…it was Tiffany…”

 

Minho was amazed.

 

“How?”

 

“Seohyun left her number with me…and…well…I conjured enough courage to call her and we spoke…we spoke long too…we had to catch up…there was so much…”

 

“I see…”

 

“Minho…I know it’s tough to understand…I never knew how I would explain to you how I had other feeling for another woman but-“

 

“Dad…it can’t be helped…”

 

“Huh?”

 

“After our talk awhile ago…I’ve been planning things as well…I began to think…I should find my purpose?”

 

“Your purpose?”

 

“Dad, hear me out, okay?”

 

“Sure…”

 

“Well…I know I don’t want to be stuck in that office forever…and I know you don’t want to see me be a clerk forever so…I decided…to…go back to school…”

 

Siwon shook his head and placed his hand on Minho’s shoulder.

 

“After high school, I just wanted to help out with the business but…after hearing your stories…and how you found love…I wanted to experience something like that too…I’ve been looking at a small culinary school in Seoul…I think I want to try being a chef…”

 

“A chef huh?”

 

“Yeah…I mean I can cook…a little…but I want to learn…plus…there was a real cute girl who gave me a brochure a while ago…”

 

“Really?”

“Yeah…some girl named Yuri…she says she studies there too…so…”

 

Siwon smiled.

 

“I see…”

 

“Dad…I want to go out there and see life...I think it’s my turn to go for once…”

 

Siwon felt proud of his son.

 

“Minho, drink up…we have a long night…”

 

Minho and Siwon smiled and gave a toast.

 

Minho and Siwon staggered into the house swinging their bottles and singing “Oh!” by Girls’ Generation.

 

“OH OH OH OH!!!”

 

Minho and Siwon gave another toast and chugged their liquor down. Minho threw his bottle outside while Siwon smashed it on the floor. They both looked at each other and began to laugh like a pair of hyenas.  Minho slowly stopped and smiled.

 

“Dad…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Thanks…”

 

“You’re welcome…”

 

“Dad…I never told you what Mom told me before she died…”

 

Siwon slowly looked at his son in the eyes.

 

“What did she say?”

 

Minho slowly fell onto the couch while Siwon leaned against the wall.

 

“She told me to tell you…that…that...she forgave you…and that I should…learn to do the same as well…that’s what love is all about…”

 

Siwon looked at his son as he began to cry. Siwon slowly walked over to his son and hugged him.

 

“I’m sorry for hating you all those years…”

 

Siwon his son head and began to weep as well.

 

“I’m sorry I lied to you…”

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Pasadena, CA, Present Time

 

Seohyun got into the car and slammed the door. Tiffany drove out the airport and merged onto the freeway. Seohyun was strangely quiet.

 

“Seo-baby…you okay? How come you came home so suddenly? How’s everything in New York?”

 

Seohyun looked over to her mother. Tiffany looked back.

 

“Is everything alright? Did you fight with Kyuhyun?”

 

“No…we’re doing just fine…”

 

Tiffany was suspicious.

 

“Then what, honey?”

 

Seohyun bit her lip and looked out the window. Tiffany was beginning to grow irritated.

 

“Hwang Seo Hyun…I want you to answer me…”

 

“Choi Siwon…he was never my father, was he?”

 

Tiffany suddenly swerved off into the outside lane and brought the car at a halt outside the freeway. Tiffany gripped the steering wheel and began to breathe deeply. Seohyun looked straight.

 

“Who…who told you that?”

 

Seohyun quickly turned to her mother and screamed at her.

 

“What does that MATTER? Why did you lie to me?!”

 

Tiffany began to grow uncertain of herself and exited the car. Seohyun yelled.

 

“Mom! Wait!”

 

The speeding cars zoomed by as Tiffany got out and walked in front of the car. Seohyun stood outside as well. The loudness of the cars driving by did not stop them from yelling. Seohyun was angry and wanted answers.

 

“I RAN INTO SEO JOO HYUN IN NEW YORK! SHE TOLD ME EVERYTHING!”

 

Tiffany wiped her tears and looked to her daughter.

 

“WHAT DID SHE SAY?!”

 

“THAT I NEVER BELONGED TO SIWON…I’M UNCLE TAEC’S CHILD! MOM, HOW COULD YOU?!”

 

The cars were coming closer and were mere inches from Tiffany. A red car was closing in and was cutting close.

 

“MOM!”

 

Seohyun pulled her mom out of the way and held her. Seohyun looked to her mother and she was covered in tears. Seohyun suddenly felt sympathetic for her.

 

“Mom…let’s get in…we’ll talk when we get home…”

 

Seohyun brought her mom to the passenger seat and helped her in. Seohyun took the wheel and drove her mother home.

 

 Tiffany opened up a leather brief case and pulled out a manila folder. She handed it over to Seohyun. Seohyun opened the folder and found a document displaying a DNA result. Seohyun looked over it and was startled.

 

“Why? Why would you do a DNA test?”

 

“I didn’t…the company had one done on me…they also asked me who were my last partners before you were conceived…I already called for Siwon but…Seohyun…she spoke up…she said there was one more…Taecyeon…”

 

Seohyun listened closely.

 

“The men were tested in different hospitals and they never saw each other or me…they gave a blood sample and forwarded it to the company…everything was done in confidentiality…everything was so top secret…I felt trapped but I wanted to remain a singer in the group so I had to abide by the rules…”

 

“Then, what happened?”

 

“The results came out several weeks later…I was startled…Taecyeon was the father…”

 

Seohyun bit her lip as Tiffany began to sob.

 

“But…I couldn’t tell Siwon that…I just couldn’t…”

 

“Why?”

 

Tiffany looked up to her daughter.

 

“I was afraid he would leave me…for good…”

 

Seohyun dropped her head in sadness as Tiffany began to cry in her hands.

 

“I couldn’t lose Siwon again…”

“Mom…I’m sorry…”

 

They both embraced each other.

 

“Does Uncle Taec know?”

 

“He never knew…I swapped the letters and made sure Siwon was contacted…this has been the most painful regret I have carried all my life…”

 

Seohyun stood up and looked out the window. Her grandfather was outside in the garden sitting on the bench.

 

“Mom…how was I conceived?”

 

Tiffany looked up to her daughter and made a long pause.

 

“Mom?”

 

Tiffany struggled to speak.

 

“Mom, tell me…”

 

“I was …”

 

Seohyun was shocked.

 

Tiffany, 24 Years Old, Seoul, Korea

 

It was announced to the girls that they were given a 2-week vacation for all their hard work. Most of the girls knew exactly where they were going and left that same day to catch on some relaxation. Tiffany and Seohyun already prepared themselves for Japan but there was a sudden change in the schedule. The last flight out of Korea to Japan had been delayed and it wouldn’t be until early the next day they could leave. Tiffany wasn’t in a rush and informed Seohyun.

 

“Seohyun…we’ll just leave for Japan tomorrow morning, if you don’t mind, okay?”

 

Seohyun didn’t mind.

 

“No problem Unnie…so…what shall we do tonight? The rest of the girls have left the dorm…”

 

Tiffany sat down on the couch and began to think.

 

“We could just order pizzas and watch some drama shows…”

 

Seohyun smiled and nodded.

 

“That sounds fun actually…”

 

Tiffany smiled but began to think deeper.

 

“But…we could go out as well…there’s only two of us as well so it’s easier to maintain…when we all go out it gets out of control…remember how Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were left stranded at the club last time?”

 

Seohyun giggled.

 

“I do…”

 

“Well…I can call up some friends and we can hang out…not too wild…just have a drink and talk…”

 

Seohyun smiled.

 

“Sounds fine with me…”

 

They went downtown and visited a fancy bar where they met up with numerous other singers and celebrities. Yet, the one Seohyun remembers seeing Tiffany leave with was Ok Taecyeon. Seohyun would later witness the assault.

 

Seohyun, Tiffany, and Taecyeon were all in the taxi as they were driven back to their dorm. Seohyun could tell Tiffany was drunk along with Taecyeon and they were laughing hysterically as they whispered into each others’ ears. Seohyun didn’t want to interrupt them but she was worried about Tiffany. Tiffany smacked Taecyeon on the shoulder.

 

“Taec! You’re so crazy!”

 

Taecyeon laughed as they continued to talk about their childhood.

 

“Mr. Wong was a weirdo remember?!”

 

Tiffany laughed then snorted loudly. Taecyeon had tears flying from his eyes. The taxi arrived abruptly as the group stepped out. Seohyun paid the fare as Taecyeon and Tiffany laughed all the way up the dorm.

 

“Unnie…”

 

They entered the dorm and Tiffany quickly went to the kitchen.

 

“I’m opening some wine! Want some?”

 

Taecyeon threw his coat on the couch as Seohyun shut the door.

 

“I’ll have some Fany! Seohyun, you wanna drink?”

 

Seohyun refused.

 

“Unnie, I’ll be getting some sleep alright?”

 

“Seo-baby! No! Have a drink!”

 

Seohyun refused again and went to her bedroom. Taecyeon and Tiffany looked at each other and laughed. They proceeded to drink the whole bottle of wine together.

 

Seohyun awoke from her nap and could feel her head spinning. She had drunk a little at the bar but it was enough to buzz her. As she scratched her eyes and looked at the clock, she heard whispering from the living room. Seohyun had forgotten that Tiffany and Taecyeon were outside in the living room. Seohyun got up from her bed and went over to the door to peek outside. As she opened, she could her some . Seohyun was shocked.

 

“Taec…please…oh…”

 

Seohyun blushed then closed the door.

 

“Unnie?”

 

She slowly opened it and saw two shadowy figures on the couch. Suddenly, Tiffany began to scream.

 

“Taec! Stop! That’s enough! Stop it, please!”

 

“Come on Fany…just once…I know you always wanted it!”

 

“No!”

 

Taecyeon proceeded to kiss her.

 

“No…please…Taec…no!”

 

Tiffany began to weep. Seohyun screamed.

 

“HEY! GET OFF OF HER!”

 

Taecyeon peeked over the couch and saw Seohyun.

 

“Hey you! Shut up and leave us alone!”

 

“Seohyun! Help me!”

 

Seohyun the lights and ran over and began to slap Taecyeon. Taecyeon got off of Tiffany and grabbed Seohyun by the wrist.

 

“I told you to leave…if you don’t…then…I’ll have you too!”

 

Seohyun was frightened by Taecyeon then suddenly Tiffany smashed Taecyeon with the wine bottle and knocked him out. Taecyeon fell limp to the floor. Seohyun hugged Tiffany.

 

“Unnie! What happened?”

Tiffany was crying.

 

“I don’t know…first…we were just talking…then…suddenly…he was taking my clothes off…things were so blurry but I realized what he was doing when you opened the door…”

 

Seohyun examined Tiffany and was startled. Tiffany’s clothes were ripped and her were around her knees. She could see the blood smeared on her inner thigh.

 

“Unnie…look…you have blood…”

 

Tiffany looked down and was shocked.

 

“OH GOD! NO!”

 

Tiffany ran to the bathroom. Seohyun picked up the phone and was about to call the police. Tiffany stepped out.

 

“Seohyun drop the phone…we won’t call the police…we can’t have the media on this…”

 

“But…”

 

“Call Leeteuk Oppa…he’ll pick Taec up…we can’t let this out…”

 

Taecyeon began to slowly awaken again. Tiffany went to him and grabbed his face.

 

“Listen…you will leave now…I’m doing everyone a favor here…if word gets out about this…we’re all finished…alright?”

 

Taecyeon pushed her hand off and slowly got up.

 

“I didn’t mean to hurt you…”

 

“Leave…this was a mistake…”

 

Taecyeon grabbed his pants and coat and walked out the dorm. Tiffany suddenly burst into tears and flew into Seohyun’s arms. Seohyun cried along with her.

 

“Seohyun…what am I going to do now?”

 

“Unnie?”

 

“I’m not a anymore…that monster…that monster…”

 

Seohyun Tiffany’s hair as she cried into her .

 

“Siwon will never love me…”

 

The two girls cried until it was time to leave for Japan. That night was kept secret from everyone, even the company.

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Present Time

 

Tiffany trembled as she finished the story. Seohyun placed her arm around her mother.

 

“Mom…”

 

“It was so long ago though…it was something I tried to forget…but…I knew it would catch up to me sometime…”

 

Seohyun sighed and wiped her mother’s tears.

 

“Forgive me….for shouting at you earlier…”

 

“No…it’s my fault…I never told you…”

 

Seohyun wiped her own tears.

 

“Mom…could I see him?”

 

“Who? Taecyeon?”

 

“I need to…I think he should know too…”

 

“No, you can’t…he’s married now…he has a family…”

 

“I need to speak to him…to satisfy my own inner demons…”

 

Tiffany sighed while Seohyun stood up with the DNA results.

 

“Is he still in California?”

 

“I’m not sure…I saw them recently but…they must’ve left already…”

 

Seohyun could tell that her mother didn’t want to see him.

 

“Mom, do you want to…come?”

 

“I can’t….that’s one thing we shouldn’t relive…”

 

“What about Siwon?”

 

Tiffany looked to her daughter and stared at her. Seohyun knew what her mother was thinking. There were some things that should be left untouched and if Siwon knew about the secret that might change their relationship forever. Seohyun’s mother didn’t have forever.

 

“Uncle Taec…where do you think he is?”

 

“He might be still at your Krystal-Unnie’s house…”

 

Seohyun shook her head.

 

“Mom, I’ll be right back…”

 

Tiffany stood up.

 

“Tell him…I said…hello…”

 

Tiffany looked weak and returned to her room. Seohyun watched as her mom walked up the steps. Seohyun felt bad and wanted to find the word to heal her mother but she couldn’t. She grabbed her bag and left the house.

 

Jessica smiled as she watched Taecyeon play with the kids in the pool. Taecyeon took his son and dunked him the pool. There was laughter and smiles all around. Jessica smiled then returned to her tan. Taecyeon stepped out of the pool and grabbed his towel from beside Jessica.

 

“Hey…I’ll be right back, okay? I’m going to get a beer…”

 

“Don’t drink too much…Krystal might have left us the house for a week but that doesn’t mean we could drink all the booze, alright?”

 

“Yes it does, silly…”

 

Jessica smiled as Taecyeon dried off, put his shirt on and returned into the house.

 

“Hmm…where’s that beer?”

 

Krystal was on a business trip so Taecyeon and his family decided to stay a little longer and enjoy the sunny weather before returning to Seoul. Taecyeon ventured into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. As he pulled out two bottles, he heard the doorbell ring.

 

“Who’s that?”

 

He placed the beer on the counter and went to the front door. He opened the door and found Seohyun.

 

“Hello…”

 

Seohyun was startled at first then gave a soft smile.

 

“Uncle Taec?”

 

“Wait…”

 

“It’s Seohyun…remember me?”

“Oh my god! Yes! Fany’s girl! My god you have grown up!”

 

Taecyeon hugged her tightly.

 

“Hey Sica! Come out here! It’s Fany’s girl!”

 

“Oh no…I was just stopping by…”

 

Jessica poked her head out and screamed with joy.

 

“Is that Little Seohyun?!!!”

 

Jessica hugged Seohyun as well. Seohyun was overwhelmed.

 

“Sica-Unnie! It’s so nice to see you again…”

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m visiting…Mom…”

 

Taecyeon and Jessica both shook their heads. Jessica spoke up.

 

“I heard you are married now….that true?”

 

“It is…I’m living in New York now actually…”

 

Taecyeon smiled.

 

“Wow….big city girl now!”

 

“Yeah…actually there’s something real important I’m here for…”

 

The couple was interested. Jessica spoke up.

 

“Sure, what’s up?”

 

“Actually…Unnie…I’m here for…Uncle Taec…”

 

Taecyeon nodded.

 

“Sure…”

 

“Could we speak in private?”

 

“Oh…”

 

Taecyeon looked to Jessica and shrugged. Jessica nodded and returned inside.

 

“Uncle…let’s go for a walk…”

 

“Ok honey…everything alright? Is Fany alright?”

 

They began to walk and Seohyun remained silent. Taecyeon was concerned.

 

“Seohyun…honey…are you okay?”

 

Seohyun sighed deeply and dug into her pocket. Taecyeon looked down to see what she was doing. Seohyun pulled out the DNA results and handed them to Taecyeon.

 

“What’s this?”

 

Seohyun remained silent as they walked slowly down the sidewalk. Taecyeon unfolded the paper and began to breathe deeply. He looked to Seohyun.

 

“Where…where did you get this?”

 

“I want to know one thing…did you mean to hurt my mother that night?”

 

Taecyeon tried to remember what night she was talking about. Suddenly, he paused and remembered that dark night, 20 years ago. He looked to her and could see tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

 

“Seohyun…I never meant to hurt her…never…”

 

“Because of that…you changed everything about her…she went from a young girl following her dreams and her love…to…a lost woman with a broken heart…how could you?”

 

Taecyeon felt his knees getting weaker and he slowly sat down on the curb. His tears began to drop.

 

“Seohyun…I loved you mother with every fiber in my body…ever since we were children…I wanted to be next to her…protecting her…loving her…but…I couldn’t get any closer than as a friend…just as a…friend…”

 

Seohyun sat beside him.

 

“When we all became idols…I felt I had a winning chance…I could get her now…impress her with my looks and charisma…but…she never looked at me like she did with…Siwon…he had her heart ever since they met…I was always chasing her…then…that night…that awful, awful, awful night…the pain and hate inside me came out…I lost control…”

 

“You didn’t lose control…you lost your will to love…”

 

Taecyeon looked to Seohyun. She was also tearing up.

 

“My mom cared for you…she always did…”

 

Taecyeon shook his head.

“Please…forgive…me…”

 

“What happened…happened…all I wanted to do is let you know…that…something happened that night and she’s sitting right next to you…I don’t know if I should hate you or love you…”

 

Taecyeon looked to Seohyun.

 

“Uncle Taec…please forgive my mother…for never giving you her heart…”

 

“It can’t be helped…she was and still is in love with him…I don’t have any right to break that up…”

 

Seohyun placed her hand on his hand.

 

“Thank you….”

 

“Thank you too…”

 

They both hugged and Seohyun looked up to him.

 

“Please take care…”

 

“You too…”

 

Seohyun and Taecyeon stood up.

 

“Uncle Taec…I need to leave now…”

 

“I understand…send my regards to your husband…he’s very lucky…”

 

Seohyun smiled and returned to the car. She backed out and waved goodbye. Taecyeon waved back. He returned to the house and saw Jessica standing by the window.

 

“Taec? What was that?”

 

“Oh…she…was…having problems with her husband and since I was close to being a…father-figure to her…she needed some advice…marital advice…”

 

Jessica lifted her eyebrow.

 

“I see…”

 

“She’s fine now…”

 

“Okay…”

 

“Hey, let’s go back to the pool now! Hurry!”

 

“Fine…”

Taecyeon grabbed the beers and returned outside. Jessica still couldn’t help but feel uneasy about what occurred earlier. There was something peculiar about Seohyun’s sudden visit and she felt Taecyeon was lying.

 

Taecyeon was brushing his teeth while Jessica prepared for bed. As she undressed into her night attire, she recognized Taecyeon’s trunks lying on the chair beside the bathroom. There was a piece of paper sticking out from the pocket. Jessica was curious and went to investigate.

 

“Honey! Do you think you can turn the TV on and have it on ESPN? I want to see the baseball scores! Honey?”

 

Taecyeon spat out the last of his toothpaste and rinsed. He placed his toothbrush back into the holder and poked his head out.

 

“Honey?”

 

Jessica was holding a piece of paper in her hand. She slowly looked up and he saw her tears forming.

 

“Taec…what is this?”

 

Taecyeon was startled and grabbed the paper.

 

“It’s…nothing…”

 

“Why does it show DNA results?”

 

Taecyeon crumbled the paper up and tossed into the basket. Jessica began to raise her voice.

 

“I always knew…somehow…someway…”

 

“Sica…wait…”

 

“You lied to me…all these years…”

 

“Sica…I never knew…”

 

Jessica slapped him clear across the face.

 

“I always knew you loved Fany…I was just so stupid to have fallen in love with you…but this…I should have known when I saw her pregnant…it was you the whole time…THE WHOLE TIME!”

 

Jessica screamed and stormed out the room.

 

“SICA!!!”

 

Jessica stomped down the hall. Her two sons poked their heads out to see what was going on. Jessica exited the house and got inside the car. Taecyeon chased her down.

 

“Sica! Wait! Let me explain!”

 

“I’m going to see her now! I’ll find out what’s going on!”

 

Jessica drove off. Taecyeon clenched his fist and closed his eyes.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening…”

 

Seohyun and Tiffany lied together in bed. Tiffany sighed and looked to her daughter.

 

“Then what happened?”

 

Seohyun rolled to her side facing her mother.

 

“He cried…he knew you loved Siwon and that he could never have you…he regretted that night as well…but he had no idea about the DNA results…he always believed Siwon was the father…everyone did actually…”

 

“It was only between your Seohyun-Unnie and me…”

 

Tiffany sighed deeply.

 

“Poor Taec…”

 

“Mom…would you have given Taecyeon a chance?”

 

“I would have…but he knew it wouldn’t be soon…Jessica loved him and he couldn’t resist that…he married her instead…I was happy for them…honestly…but seeing them made me long for Siwon even more…”

 

Suddenly, there a pounding at the front door. Tiffany jumped up.

 

“What the…”

 

Tiffany and Seohyun poked their head into the hallway. The pounding got harder and louder. Tiffany grabbed her coat and went downstairs.

 

“Mom?”

 

“Hold on…”

 

As she approached the door, Jessica’s voice could be heard.

 

“Tiffany Hwang! Get out here!”

 

Tiffany opened the door and Jessica rushed in. Tiffany was pushed back as Jessica slammed the door behind her. Jessica had a crazed look on her face.

 

“You…!”

 

Tiffany screamed back.

 

“What are you talking about?!”

 

“You simply couldn’t have your DREAMBOY so….you decided to sleep with my husband!”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“Don’t lie to me…you always seduced Taec…ever since we were kids and in SNSD…you always provoked him…”

 

“We were only friends…yes, I knew he had feelings for me but…I only saw him as a friend! That was all!”

 

“Then explain HER!”

 

Jessica pointed to the young Seohyun standing at the top of the stairs.

 

“You seduced my husband and he got you pregnant…my god Fany…you were so ty back then…you couldn’t wait for your stupid OPPA…so…you slept with every man you can find-“

 

Tiffany slapped Jessica across the face. Jessica wheeled back and was stunned. Tiffany was breathing heavily.

 

“Sica…how dare you…come here…and insult my home…my child…and me…”

 

“Insult? You ruined my life! I could never feel what love was like because of YOU!”

 

Jessica jumped onto Tiffany and began to strangle her. Seohyun ran down the steps.

 

“Wait! Unnie! Mom! Stop!!!”

 

Seohyun grabbed Jessica and pushed her aside while Tiffany tried to get to her feet and regain her breath. Jessica was furious.

 

“Stay out of this! You are nothing but the daughter of a !”

 

Jessica shoved Seohyun aside. Seohyun flew across the entrance and knocked her head on the corner of the stair step. Seohyun went unconscious. Tiffany screamed.

 

“SEOHYUN!!!”

 

Jessica saw what she had done and gasped. Tiffany slid beside her daughter and began to cry. There was blood behind her head.

 

“Oh god no…NO NO NO NO!!!”

 

Taecyeon arrived and opened the door to find all the women on the floor and the bloodied Seohyun in Tiffany’s hands. Tiffany looked to Taecyeon.

 

“Taec…help us!”

 

Taecyeon picked up Seohyun’s lifeless body and brought her to the car. Tiffany looked to Jessica who was dead pale.

 

“Follow us to the hospital now…if anything happens to her…I will kill you…”

 

Tiffany pulled Jessica up and they all boarded the car.

 

Siwon, 51 Years Old, Jeju Island

 

Minho and Siwon stood at the dock. The last boat was heading to the mainland in a couple minutes. Minho would take a bus to Seoul afterwards. They both stood together as they watched the sun reflect off the clear blue sea.

 

“Son…”

 

“Yeah Dad…”

 

“So you know who to contact and where to stay right?”

 

Minho laughed.

 

“Of course Dad…”

 

“And you know that Uncle Yesung is within walking distance from your campus, right?”

 

“I do Dad…please…don’t worry about me! I’m grown up already…”

 

Siwon nodded.

 

“I know but…but…”

 

Minho hugged his Dad. Siwon began to tear up a little.

 

“Dad…you have done so much for me…I will take what I learned and show the world…”

 

“Just…be careful…you are my only family…”

 

Minho and Siwon embraced tightly. Minho eased off and began to make his way to the boat. Siwon stood and watched his only son board the boat and sail off to find his own life. Minho got on and began to wave. Siwon waved back.

 

“Bye Dad! I’ll be back before you know it!”

 

Siwon shook his head and waved back. The boat sounded its horn and it began to set sail. Siwon sighed deeply and smiled.

 

“Goodbye, Minho…”

 

Siwon arrived back home and the TV. As he was about to take a seat, the phone rang. It startled him. He quickly picked up. He could hear crying on the other side of the phone.

 

“Hello? Who is this?”

 

“Siwon-Oppa…”

 

“Fany?”

 

Tiffany couldn’t stop from weeping.

 

“Fany, slow down…what’s going on?”

 

“It’s Seohyun…she’s hurt…she’s in the hospital…”

 

Siwon’s heart nearly broke.

 

“Fany…you wait right there, okay? I’ll prepare my things…I’ll be on my way…did you call her husband?”

 

“He’s already on a plane…”

 

“You wait, alright? I’ll be there…”

 

Siwon hung up and quickly dashed up the stairs to gather his things.

 

“I need to be there…”

 

Siwon made a lot of mistakes in his life and hurt a lot of people. Seohyun means everything to Tiffany and to watch their daughter suffer could mean the end to Tiffany’s livelihood. Siwon can’t survive another death.

 

“Hold on…Seohyun…I’ll be there…”

 

End of Chapter 9

 

With this dramatic turn of events, and Siwon and Tiffany being reunited in the most painful circumstances, will their love survive? What about the truth behind Seohyun’s birth? Will Siwon be able to understand? What will happen to Jessica and Taecyeon? See the final events unravel in the final chapter of “Messages from the Heart”!