Chapter 2

Messages from the Heart

Chapter 2

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Present time…

 

The wedding reception had already finished and the guests were already gone. Tiffany and Seohyun sat in the living room with coffee and cookies beside them. Kyuhyun came behind Seohyun.

 

“Hey there…I’m heading to bed…I’ll leave you two girls alone, alright?”

 

Seohyun looked over and pecked him on the cheek.

 

“Goodnight honey…I’ll be down here with Mom…”

 

Kyuhyun smiled at Tiffany and returned upstairs. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Where did you find him?”

 

“He found me actually…”

 

Tiffany and Seohyun laughed. Seohyun spoke up.

 

“So…you met dad at such a young age…did he ever…you know…make any moves?”

 

“Oh my god, no! Siwon-Oppa was a gentleman through and through…he never once touched me or made any remarks…he was so…nice and gentle…I was the one who was making the moves…my god I was foolish…”

 

Seohyun laughed.

 

“Then what happened? He was there for the summer before you started high school…how long did he stay with you?”

 

“He was here for about…four years…”

 

“Did he finish up in UCLA?”

 

“He returned home to finish school…he got too expensive for him…but we had fun while he was here…so many stories…”

 

“Tell me more, Mom!”

 

“Fine…well…I was already in high school…”

 

Tiffany, 15 Years Old

 

It was December and the Christmas lights and decoration were already placed all around the house. Tiffany was in her bedroom rehearsing her part in the Christmas choir performance being held in her school’s auditorium.

 

Right when Tiffany set in her new high school, she pushed herself to be active especially when it came to music. She quickly joined the choir and concert band. With her exceptional flute work and potential vocals, Tiffany was planning to pave her way into the entertainment business. Her family, especially her father, resented the idea of his youngest daughter being a singer and really pushed her to be a doctor or lawyer but Tiffany wasn’t the type and she openly stated that she wasn’t the person to be working in those white-collared occupations.

 

That night, she and the rest of the choir would be performing the classic Christmas song, “Joy to the World” and “Silent Night.” Tiffany was excited to show case her voice to her family and the new guest, Siwon-oppa. Yet, she was worried he wouldn’t show up because of his final exam schedule. He had been busy the previous weeks because of his group studies and projects. Tiffany looked at herself in the mirror. She was wearing a pretty black dress and pearl necklace from her late mother.

 

“I hope I do well tonight…”

 

There was a knock at her door.

 

“Yes?”

 

Her father poked his head in.

 

“Hello honey, are you ready?”

 

“I am Dad…umm…Dad?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Is…ummm…Siwon-oppa coming?”

 

“Oh, Siwon…I reminded him and he told me he would try his best…”

 

“Ok…”

 

“I’m glad you two are getting along…he’s a great guy…”

 

“He is…”

 

Tiffany could tell from her father’s tone and look that he saw Siwon as a son he never had.

 

“Well honey, when you’re ready just head outside, okay?”

 

“Thanks Daddy…”

 

Her father smiled then closed the door. Tiffany rubbed the pearl on her necklace.

 

“I hope he shows up…”

 

The auditorium was crowded with all the anxious parents who wanted to see their children performing. They all brought their cameras and packed the floor near the stage to get the best shots. Tiffany’s father held the camera as the curtains opened and revealed the choir standing in a half circle. They were all dressed fancily and the parents were in awe to see their children singing. Tiffany smiled to her father and waved. He smiled and waved back. Then, she looked to see if Siwon was beside him. He wasn’t there. Tiffany’s spirits slowly shrunk but she still had a song to sing.

 

The choir instructor got behind piano and signaled to her choir to get ready for the keys. She began to play and choir performed “Silent Night.” Tiffany thought to herself while she sang.

 

“And I wanted to show him my voice too…”

 

Tiffany and her father arrived home and slowly got out the car. Tiffany’s father could sense something was bothering his daughter.

 

“Fany…are you okay? You have been quiet ever since we left your school…”

 

“I’m okay Daddy…”

 

“Was it because Siwon didn’t show up?”

 

Tiffany was shocked by her father’s question but she couldn’t hide the fact that she wanted to show him her performance.

 

“Yeah…well…kinda…I just wanted to show Oppa my ability to sing…”

 

“It’s okay Honey…he’ll make it sometime…you’ll have more performances…”

 

“I hope so…”

 

They entered the house and Tiffany quickly made her way to the stairs. Her father spoke up.

 

“Don’t feel down honey…”

 

Tiffany sighed and turned to her father.

 

“Dad…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I’m happy you showed up though…”

 

Tiffany smiled and went down to embrace her father. Tiffany’s father hugged her tight.

 

“Anything for you honey…”

 

Tiffany eased back and slowly crept back to her room. Her father smiled and thought to himself.

 

“It really hit her that Siwon didn’t make it…”

 

Later that Night…

 

Tiffany kept rolling back and forth in her bed. She simply couldn’t sleep. She slowly got up and exited her room. She needed some air so she crept down the steps and headed towards the backyard. She put on her coat and then she opened the back door. The cold breeze blew through and made her hair fly back.

 

“Chilly…”

 

She went outside and stood on the porch. She replayed the events that happened previously that night, the crowded auditorium, the anxious parents, the nervous performers and the empty chair beside her father. Tiffany began to frown and slowly tears began to drop down her eyes. She snorted her stuffy nose and began to weep.

 

“I hate boys…”

 

Over the couple of months that Siwon had been in the home, Tiffany had developed a major crush on him. From the moment she met him in the summer, she wanted to show her love for him but she didn’t know how. From her awkward dance recital at her 15thbirthday to her corny princess costume in Halloween, she was worried that Siwon viewed her as a fool instead. Tiffany’s friend, Jessica, had been trying to warn her about attracting older boys especially about Siwon. She remembered Jessica’s explosion on the bus ride back home.

 

“Fany! Siwon-oppa doesn’t like you like THAT! Leave it alone…you need to grow up first!”

 

Tiffany embraced herself and felt the chill run through her. She felt like all her attempts had been a waste and her heart was slowly shattering.

 

“So is this what ‘one-sided’ love feels like? It’s…horrible…”

 

Suddenly a voice whispered near her.

 

“Fany?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Tiffany wiped her tears and slowly turned to see Siwon sitting at the table with his cell phone. The light of his phone illuminated his face. He slowly rose from his seat and approached Tiffany.

 

“Fany, are you…crying?”

 

“Oppa! No…It’s just the-“

 

Siwon placed his finger underneath her eye and wiped her tear.

 

“Did someone hurt you?”

 

Tiffany felt her heart beating faster than ever.

 

“No Oppa…I’m…fine…”

 

Siwon narrowed his eyes.

 

“Fany…you don’t need to lie to Oppa…what’s up?”

 

Tiffany began to panic.

 

“What do I tell Oppa? Oh my god…what do I say?!”

 

Siwon stared at her.

 

“Was tonight your…performance?”

 

Tiffany’s eyes flew wide open.

 

“Ye…yeah…”

 

“Oh…Fany…I’m sorry for not making it…please…forgive me…is this why you’re crying?”

 

Tiffany began to panic again and thought to herself.

 

“You should I tell him that I’m crying for him?”

 

Tiffany looked up.

 

“No Oppa…it’s not you! I’m just crying for…my…mom…”

 

“Oh…I’m sorry Fany…do you need someone to talk to?”

 

“I’m okay, Oppa…I tend to do this often around December since it’s close to Christmas and stuff…”

 

“I see…”

 

Tiffany began to stagger back towards the door and clumsily tripped beside the door. Siwon leaped to pick her up.

 

“Fany! Are you okay?”

 

Tiffany stumbled back up and scratched her head with an embarrassing expression on her face.

 

“Oppa, I’m sorry…I’m fine…I swear! I should get some rest now!”

 

She bowed to him and slowly backed herself up into the house. Siwon stared at her with a confused look through the window. Tiffany dashed back up the stairs and threw herself into her bedroom and screamed into her pillow.

 

“I’m such a…MORON!”

 

Her pillow covered up her words. She threw her coat off and slowly went towards the window to look to see if Siwon was still in the backyard. He saw him with his phone. He was staring at his phone with a deep expression on his face.

 

“I wonder who he’s talking to… It must be someone back…home…”

 

Tiffany bit her lip and slowly fell to her bed. She cried herself to sleep that night.

 

“I’m such a fool…”

 

Tiffany, 45 years old, present time

 

Tiffany took a slow sip of her tea and smiled at her tearful daughter, Seohyun. Seohyun spoke up.

 

“Mom…you were only a child…”

 

Tiffany giggled then wiped her tears.

 

“I couldn’t help myself, darling…he was…something else…he was…special…”

 

Seohyun took a glance of her surroundings then visualized her younger mother roaming the halls in her cute white dress as Siwon walked passed her reading his text book. Seohyun made a small smile.

 

“Tell me about those small moments with him…like your everyday experiences with him…”

 

Tiffany began to think.

 

“Well…there was this one time in the summer…I was beginning to show signs of…you know…being a woman…he did begin to slightly notice me…oh my god! It was so cute…”

 

“MOM! Tell me!”

 

“Fine…here it goes…”

 

Tiffany, 16 years old

 

During the summers, Jessica and Taecyeon always visited Tiffany’s home and played at the pool. Yet things were different when Siwon arrived at the house. Tiffany rarely hung out with her best friends and noticed how much time she spent at home.

 

Jessica already knew about Tiffany’s crush on Siwon and it drove her nuts. Jessica wasn’t frustrated but more envious that Tiffany had such a handsome man living at her boarding home. Jessica sat on her bed and stared at her ceiling.

 

“Tiffany is always lucky…gosh…I wish I had a boarding house…”

 

There was a knock at her door.

 

“Unnie?”

 

“What is it, Krystal?”

 

Krystal poked her head in.

 

“Wanna play jump rope with me?”

 

“Ummm…let’s see…NO!”

 

Krystal frowned.

 

“Krystal…I’m sorry but I’m about to be an upperclassmen in high school…back off, okay? Jump rope is for kindergarteners…”

 

“FINE!”

 

Krystal slammed the door and ran down the stairs. Jessica let out a deep sigh and crawled to her window.

 

“This summer !!!”

 

Suddenly her phone began to ring. Jessica made a mad dive to her phone and realized who was calling.

 

“Hi…Taecyeon…how are you?”

 

Taecyeon had matured over his years in high school and had changed his “geeky and unconfident” look to a more” fit and social” look. Jessica had developed a small crush on her friend. Taecyeon responded on the phone.

 

“Hi Jessica, I was wondering if you wanted to join Tiffany and I at the frozen yogurt place?”

 

“What?! Like…YEAH! Loser…”

 

“Hey…come on…you’re lucky I called!”

 

“I’ll be there soon, sweety! Hold on!”

 

Jessica hung up and leaped out of her bed. She dashed down the steps and yelled out loud.

 

“Bye Daddy! Going out with Taec and Fany! Be home soon!”

 

She slammed the door and hopped into her car and backed out. Krystal watched as her sister drove down the street.

 

“She never takes me out…”

 

The Penguin’s was always a hot spot for hanging out and enjoying some awesome frozen yogurt. Jessica popped her head in and saw Tiffany and Taecyeon at the table. Jessica rushed over and pushed Tiffany against the wall. Tiffany screamed.

 

“Hey!!! Jessica! I almost dropped my food!”

 

“Whatever…you’re fine! Hi Taec…”

 

Taecyeon had developed muscles over his last two seasons of football and swimming. After stretching out his options in high school and getting involved in sports, he had been able to develop a reputation as a “scholar-athlete” and “desired bachelor.” Yet, he still had a long-standing crush on Tiffany that has been plaguing him ever since he was in little boy. Taecyeon smiled at Jessica.

 

“Hi Jessica, you look…hyper…this is unusual…”

 

“I’m sorry…I just wanted to act natural for once! Geez…”

 

Tiffany patted Jessica’s head.

 

“Easy young spunky one…I’ll find you a boyfriend…”

 

“I just dumped Brad already…I want to be single for once! PLEASE!”

 

Taecyeon laughed.

 

“First Noah, then Joey, and now…Brad! My goodness Jessica…you have been racking them up, huh?”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes towards Taecyeon.

 

“Well…if…SOMEONE decided to pay more attention…then I wouldn’t be losing so much…”

 

Jessica lifted her eyebrow towards Taecyeon which made him blush suddenly.

 

“Sorry girls…I need to use the restroom first…hold on…”

 

Taecyeon quickly excused himself as the girls began to chat. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Jessica…what are you doing?”

 

“What Fany?”

 

“Are you flirting with Taec?”

 

“Like…yeah! He’s freaking hot now!”

 

“He’s our friend…”

 

“So…he’s a boy…I’m a girl…”

 

“Still…”

 

“You don’t think Taec is cute?”

 

“He’s gotten more manlier compared to middle school but…I can’t look at him like that…”

 

“Pathetic…For me…I would sleep with him…”

 

“SICA!”

 

“Fany! I’m joking! But seriously…he’s gotten cuter…”

 

Tiffany shook her head. Jessica settled down and looked to Tiffany with a serious face. Tiffany was puzzled.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“We barely chat nowadays…you have been busy at home, huh?”

 

“With the boarding house and guest…yes…why? Wait…you’re implying something aren’t you?”

 

“I don’t know…that Siwon…he’s pretty cute…”

 

“Leave Oppa out of this!”

 

“Holy cow! I struck a chord didn’t I?”

 

“Sica…it’s not like that…it’s just…”

 

“You love him…”

 

“LOVE?! No…we’re just kids, Sica, I wouldn’t know if love hit me in the face…”

 

Jessica looked over Tiffany’s shoulder and noticed a familiar face. Jessica looked at Tiffany and pointed with her lips the direction the person was entering. Tiffany turned around, glanced, and then quickly turned back with a flushed red face.

 

“Oh my god…”

 

Jessica shook her head.

“It’s Oppa…why is he here? He’s in college…college boys don’t visit these places…”

 

“Probably he likes frozen yogurt, loser…why don’t you invite him to sit with us?”

 

“He wouldn’t like us…we’re just kids…”

 

“Fany?”

 

Tiffany turned around and saw Siwon standing before her. Jessica examined Siwon from head to toe and was pleased with her sight. Jessica spoke up first.

 

“Hi…Oppa…”

 

Siwon smiled at Jessica yet waited for Tiffany to respond. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Oppa…umm…why are you here?”

 

“Oh, just wanted to stop and get a snack before heading home…summer classes have been killer…plus the heat…man…”

 

Jessica spoke up.

 

“Don’t worry, Oppa…have a seat with us…”

 

“Sure!”

 

Siwon sat beside Tiffany and Jessica couldn’t help but laugh at Tiffany’s priceless look on her face. Siwon spoke up.

 

“So, is this where all the high school kids hang out? We had a place like this back home…lots of fun…great food too…”

 

Tiffany bit her lip.

 

“Oppa…I didn’t know you ate here…”

 

“I don’t but I saw it on the road and decided to stop by…”

 

“Oh…”

 

Jessica was trying to hide her smile towards Tiffany. Tiffany went from being cheerful and fun to silent and shy. Jessica could tell Tiffany was dying for Siwon. Jessica spoke up.

 

“Oppa, if you could excuse us girls for a second…”

 

“Sure.”

 

Siwon got out of the booth as Tiffany moved out. As she stood up, she brushed her body against Siwon’s. Siwon felt her soft arm brush his chest and noticed her sweet fragrance. Siwon shook off the attraction and smiled at Tiffany. Tiffany smiled awkwardly and went with Jessica to the back of the shop. Siwon sat back down and tried to ignore that moment he had with Tiffany.

 

“Whoa…easy…she’s just a kid…”

 

Jessica pulled Tiffany into the corner.

 

“Hey you…get yourself together…he won’t bite you…he’s so nice and kind and all you do and fold up like a clam…talk to him…flirt a little…”

 

“Flirt? With Oppa? I can’t…”

 

“Come on…someone as gorgeous as that and he’s hanging out with us…just talk to him…yeah he might be older but flirting doesn’t hurt, right?”

 

“I guess…”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes.

 

“Now get your game face on…”

 

Tiffany and Jessica laughed and returned to the booth but now Taecyeon was sitting across from Siwon. Jessica got a little worried and thought to herself.

 

“Crap…and that stupid fool Taec likes Fany too…geez…”

 

They all sat together and Siwon spoke up.

 

“So do you want me to get the yogurt for you guys?”

 

Tiffany spoke up.

 

“It’s fine, Oppa, someone will come and serve us…it’s just busy that’s all…”

 

“I see…well I was speaking with Taecyeon here…I barely see you kids anymore at the house, what’s up? You used to visit Fany every summer…”

 

Jessica spoke up.

 

“Well…SOMEONE doesn’t invite us anymore!”

 

“Fany? Is that true?”

 

Tiffany glared at the laughing Jessica.

 

“Oppa…it’s just things have gotten a little busy with the house and the guests that keep coming in and moving out…Daddy just needs more help…”

 

“You can ask big Taec here for help right? Right, Taec?”

 

Taecyeon smiled.

 

“Of course…anything to help Tiffany’s place…”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes at Taecyeon’s cheesiness. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Why don’t we order now? Ready, Oppa?”

 

Tiffany slowly reached over the table and brushed her arm against Siwon’s. The heat had caused Tiffany’s skin to sweat and glisten so there was a little stickiness. Siwon felt her arm and looked at her as she reached over for the menu. Jessica saw the exchange and smiled.

 

“Four menus…”

 

Siwon heart was beginning to beat a little faster and looked at Tiffany’s outfit. She was wearing a white tank top with slim fitting jeans. He didn’t notice until that moment that Tiffany had a beautiful body. Siwon coughed to clear his throat and Tiffany turned and smiled at him. Jessica saw a victory from Tiffany. Jessica thought to herself.

 

“That’s my girl…”

 

Jessica honked her horn as Tiffany waved off to her close friends. Tiffany entered into her home and closed the door behind her. After the yogurt shop, Siwon went ahead home while Tiffany and her group stayed longer and chatted more. Yet, she still couldn’t concentrate on her friends and needed to go home. Tiffany was confused.

 

“Have I fallen so hard for Oppa that I can’t even concentrate?”

 

She removed her shoes and headed upstairs. Strangely, the house was quiet. She figured that most of the guests have left for vacation. She climbed to the top and peeked into her father’s room. He was missing.

 

“I wonder where Dad went…hmmm…”

 

Suddenly, Samantha crept out of her room and was dressed provocatively.

 

“Unnie? Where are you going?”

 

“To the club, silly…I’m in college, remember?”

 

“So, shouldn’t you let Dad know?”

 

Samantha sighed and walked around Tiffany.

“Samantha, where is everyone?”

 

“I don’t know…Dad went out with the elderly men for some bingo…why aren’t you out?”

 

“I just got back…”

 

“ for you then…well I’m off…I’ll see you…”

 

Samantha saluted to her sister and vanished out the front door. The sound of her car igniting and backing out echoed into the house. Tiffany shrugged and walked towards her room.

 

“I wonder…”

 

Tiffany changed her mind and crept downstairs to see if Siwon was home. She walked down the stairs then towards the kitchen. There was hallway near the kitchen which had 3 bedrooms. Tiffany peeked down the hallway and saw the light of Siwon’s room shining down the hall. She halted for a second and decided to think things through.

 

“I’ll just say ‘goodnight’ and that’s it…”

 

Tiffany cleared and slowly walked down the hall towards his cracked open door. She gently knocked.

 

“Oppa…”

 

She lightly pushed the door and saw Siwon reading at his desk. He looked up and pulled his earphones off.

 

“Oppa, I’m sorry if I bothered you…”

 

“No, I’m fine…come in…”

 

Tiffany’s heart began to beat faster as she entered his room.

 

“Thanks Oppa…”

 

“No problem…”

 

His room was neat and tidy yet lacked any real design. He didn’t decorate his walls with pictures and posters and he didn’t bother to add any new furniture. His bed was made neatly with dark blue sheets. His window was open slightly giving the room and slightly cool temperature. Tiffany sat down on the bed and looked around the room. Siwon his chair and smiled.

 

“So, how can I help you?”

 

“Oh…I just wanted to…talk…”

 

“Sure…what’s up?”

Tiffany wasn’t prepared to talk and hesitated. Siwon spoke up.

 

“Was it about the yogurt shop? It was pretty good actually…I didn’t embarrass you in front of your friends did I?”

 

“Embarrass? No!”

 

Siwon laughed.

 

“I understand how it is when kids have like family meet their close friends…it’s awkward…”

 

“Sica and Taec don’t mind…they’re cool…best friends…”

 

“I saw that…I wish I had that actually…”

 

“You don’t have best friends?”

 

“Well…I always had friends…but not close enough to be my…best friends…my dad always had me busy with studying and working that I barely had time to be…a kid…”

 

“Oh…”

 

Tiffany looked to his desk and saw the stacks of books.

 

“You’re very studious, Oppa…”

 

“Oh…yeah I like to read…I don’t really mind…but sometimes…it’s overwhelming…”

 

“Oh…I forgot but…what were you planning to be?”

 

“I wanted to be a writer…but my father wants me to return to Korea and become a pilot for their Air Force…so I’m majoring in math…it’s tough but…I don’t mind…”

 

Siwon looked to floor and sighed. Tiffany could tell he had a lot on his mind.

 

“A pilot?”

 

“Yeah…or something like that…seems like something adventurous so why not?”

 

“I never met a pilot before…”

 

Siwon laughed.

 

“Well I might be the first one you meet…”

 

Tiffany laughed.

 

“Oppa…ummm…”

“Yes?”

 

“Have you ever had a girlfriend?”

 

Siwon was surprised by her question but smiled.

 

“I did…before I came here…”

 

“Oh…who was she?”

 

“Hold for a second…”

 

He dug into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. He opened his wallet and pulled out a wrinkled photo of a girl and him sitting together near a village. She was beautiful.

 

“Her name was ‘Lee Yeon Hee’…”

 

“Oh…she’s pretty, Oppa…”

 

“Thank you…I was so foolish though…”

 

Tiffany returned the photo.

 

“Why?”

 

“Well before I came here…we just started dating but I was head over heels for her…I told her I would marry her when I return home after America…”

 

“Marry her?”

 

“She told me that she wouldn’t wait for me and turned her back…”

 

“She dumped you…”

 

“Well…we weren’t really ‘together’ but she would think about staying available for me…4 years is long…”

 

“But…isn’t it coming close to 4 years?”

 

“It is actually…gosh…you’re going to be in 11thgrade? I’ll be graduating next year…my goodness…”

 

Tiffany suddenly felt lonely knowing things were about to reach the end.

 

“Oppa…”

 

Siwon looked over to Tiffany and saw her pouting face looking down.

 

“Yeah?”

“Do you…really have to…leave?”

 

Siwon smiled and touched her hand.

 

“Don’t worry…you’ll always be my friend…”

 

Tiffany saw his hand and felt his warmth. She couldn’t help but feel at ease by his voice. She slowly stood up.

 

“Well…I just wanted to say goodnight…”

 

Siwon stood up as Tiffany walked out the door and turned to him.

 

“Goodnight…Fany…”

 

 Her smile was cute and unforgettable. Later in the future, Siwon would retell this story and discuss how that smile was something he searched for but couldn’t replace.

 

Tiffany gave him a bow and climbed back to her room. She shut the door behind her and gave a low, deep sigh. She got into her blankets and moved onto her side. She stared at her poster of a random Korean boy band and replayed the events that happened earlier.

 

“Oppa…”

 

She didn’t want to see him leave. She hugged her pillow and tried to simulate the warmth she experienced when he touched her hand.

 

“I don’t want to see you leave…”

 

Over the span of three years, Tiffany had gotten used to having Siwon around the house. He was handsome and cheerful but also inspiring and carried a special charisma that very little boys in Tiffany’s neighborhood or school had. Siwon was someone special to Tiffany and she didn’t want to let him go. She began to remember how he first arrived and talked to her that first night after her 8thgrade promotion.

 

She wept into her pillow. The tears darkened her light pink sheets and slowly began to dry up. She simply couldn’t picture what life would be like after he left. He was always there to guide her on her assignments and listen to her practice her singing skills in the garage. Even though he never made it to her live recital, he knew Tiffany sang with beauty.

 

“I don’t want to see you leave…”

 

Suddenly, she heard a knock at her door.

 

“Tiffany? It’s Oppa…you okay?”

 

“Oppa? Wait!”

 

She wiped her tears and jumped out her bed. She fixed her sheets quickly and concealed her tear-soaked pillows.

 

“Come in!”

 

Siwon opened the door and saw Tiffany awkwardly standing by her desk.

 

“Were you just crying?”

 

“No! I was trying to…clear my…throat?”

 

Siwon smiled.

 

“Anyways…I was wondering if you wanted to have some hot cocoa…”

 

“Hot cocoa? It’s the summer…”

 

“I know…but I need something warm to put me to sleep…”

 

“Ummm…”

 

“Seeing we’re the only two people here…we could spoil ourselves for once, right?”

 

Tiffany smiled.

 

“Sure!”

 

Siwon handed a cup to Tiffany and kept one on the counter for himself.

 

“Wait Fany…here…”

 

He took out a bag of marshmallows and dropped some in her cup.

 

“Should taste much better now…”

 

Tiffany smiled and sat at the small kitchen table. She slowly sipped her hot cocoa and felt the rich flavor of chocolate and the sweetness of the marshmallow collide. She looked up to Siwon and gave an approving nod.

 

“Told you it would be good, right?”

 

“Thanks Oppa…”

 

“You’re welcome…”

 

“So, that Taec friend of yours…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I think he likes you…”

 

Tiffany nearly spat her cocoa all over.

 

“Wait…how do you know?”

 

“The eyes…plus he’ll do whatever you tell him to do…”

 

“I see…”

 

“What do you think?”

 

“Umm…he’s one of my oldest friends but…I can’t like him like that…I…I…like someone else…”

 

Siwon sipped his cocoa and looked at Tiffany. She avoided eye contact with him and sipped her cocoa.

 

“I see…”

 

“What about Yeon Hee-unnie? Do you still speak to her?”

 

“Yeon-Hee…umm…we text…sometimes…it’s very different since we’re far apart…”

 

“Long-distance must be difficult…”

 

“It is…”

 

Tiffany looked up to Siwon.

 

“It works only if both people are willing to sacrifice time and age for each other…”

 

Siwon was taken aback by Tiffany’s sudden philosophical moment.

 

“I see…”

 

Tiffany was shocked by her own words and blushed. Siwon spoke up.

 

“You like to read to huh?”

 

“No…just really like those…dramas…”

 

Siwon laughed.

 

“I do too…”

 

He looked down to his watch.

 

“Well time is getting late…I have an early class…”

 

“Oh…”

 

Tiffany stood up and handed him the cup. He was pleased to see she finished it.

 

“It was tasty, Oppa…”

 

“It was…well…goodnight Fany…”

 

He waved off and returned to his room. Tiffany climbed the steps and smiled.

 

“He made me hot cocoa…”

 

Tiffany, 45 Years Old, Present time…

 

Seohyun had fallen asleep on the couch after Tiffany’ long story and was slowly stirring. Tiffany got up and combed a strain of hair from Seohyun’s face.

 

“If you could only see our beautiful daughter, Siwon…she has your eyes…”

 

Tiffany placed a blanket on Seohyun and headed upstairs to get some rest from all the story-telling.

 

“If she only knew half of our story…”

 

End of Chapter 2

 

Tiffany digs deeper into her past and illustrates priceless moments with Siwon. Yet, they’ve only scrapped the surface. Will Seohyun learn the true story of her parents? How did Tiffany succumb to Siwon’s departure in the following year? More will be revealed in the next chapter of “Messages from the Heart”!