Chapter 1

Messages from the Heart

Chapter 1

 

Tiffany, 19 Years Old, off the coast of Santa Cruz, California

 

The harsh sounds of waves crashing against the rocks echoed down the coastline. The sky was pale gray and the rain began to lightly shower onto the beach. On the end of the coastline was a cliff overseeing the entire area. A car slowly pulled up and out stepped a woman. Her dark brown hair flowed through the air as she stepped into the gloomy weather. She shut the door behind her and tucked her hands into her pockets and approached the edge. From her pocket, she pulled out a piece of paper. It looked like a letter. She opened up the letter and reread it. She began to sob.

 

“I thought we would be together…Oppa…”

 

The letter read:

 

“Tiffany…my dearest friend…I’m getting married soon…”

 

Tiffany refused to finish the letter, tore it up and tossed it up into the air. The wind blew through and scattered the pieces all over the sea. She screamed out loud.

 

“Oppa! You don’t know how much I LOVE YOU!!!”

 

She slowly sunk to her knees and began to sob harder. The scene slowly faded off into the dark shadowy sky.

 

Present Time, Pasadena, California

 

The atmosphere was filled with joy and happiness. There was a wedding reception being held in Tiffany’s home and both sides of the family filled the giant house. There was music playing and people laughing. Tiffany’s daughter, Seohyun had finally married her childhood sweetheart, Kyuhyun, and they were moving on to bigger and brighter days over in New York City where Kyuhyun’s music arranging career was set. Seohyun wasn’t only his wife but next biggest talent. Tiffany couldn’t have been any prouder for her daughter.

 

As the young children ran through the Hwang residence, Tiffany’s father approached her from behind as she cleared the table.

 

“Tiffany…”

 

Tiffany turned and smiled at her elderly father.

Was I doing the right thing in letting her marry off like this? She’s only 20…”

 

“You did what you could do…but love is strong and that young man…I’m sure he’ll care for my granddaughter…”

 

Tiffany lifted her head off his chest and wiped her tears. Her father watched her as she rose from her seat and slowly cleaned up the table as the rest of the group headed outside to enjoy the refreshments provided. He could feel the gaping hole in her heart widen. His daughter was hurt. She was always hurt.

 

“Tiffany…darling…I’ll be right outside with the other kids alright?”

 

“Yes Daddy…”

 

He got up to join the rest of his grandchildren. Tiffany looked outside and saw the family laughing as the youngest grandson, Tiffany’s cousin’s son, ran around in circles and fell down. Tiffany laughed to herself as well.

 

“Silly boy…”

 

Tiffany began to set up the dessert but she noticed something was missing.

 

“Mom’s fine china…it’s in the attic!”

 

Tiffany placed the pastries on the table and ran upstairs to find her late Mother’s fine china to serve the dessert on.

 

“Seohyun will love it…”

 

The Hwang Residence was a large home because it was once used as a boarding house for people looking for room and board. It could be viewed as a hotel but in a normal home. Tiffany’s family was never a real rich family but a family that spent money wisely and saved a lot. Many generations of people entered through the home and some even grew up there. It was only right to have Tiffany’s only daughter spend her wedding reception there. Seohyun and Kyuhyun were honored.

 

Tiffany jogged up the stairs and went down to the end of the hall. When she arrived she noticed that the ladder was already down and the attic light was on. Tiffany was confused. She climbed the attic ladder and poked her head.

 

“Anyone there?”

 

Seohyun responded back.

 

“Hi Mom, it’s me…”

 

“Hyunnie? What are doing here? You should be downstairs with the group and your husband!”

 

“I know but…I really needed to come back up here…there was something I really needed to see…”

 

Tiffany climbed up and joined her daughter.

 

“What were you looking for?”

 

Seohyun opened up the chest and dug through the photo albums and knick-knacks.

 

“There were two people I wanted to see…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“First…I wanted to see Grandma…”

 

“Oh…of course you can baby…”

 

Tiffany dug through the chest and came upon an old album.

 

“Your Grandma…my Mom…passed away when I was real young…I barely remember her but my sister and my father spoke a lot about her…”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Grandma was really beautiful and…very friendly…”

 

There was a photo of Tiffany’s mother holding her when she was a baby.

 

“Your Grandma was the one who wanted to build this boarding home…she was very hospitable and wanted to help any new immigrants who’ve arrived here in the US feel safe and welcome…my father never failed to support her in her dreams…your Grandpa helped build this home…when I look back…we really had something amazing…”

 

“The family history was amazing…”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Why did you close the boarding home though?”

 

“We closed it because…Grandpa couldn’t follow in Grandma’s footsteps and it got harder to maintain…”

 

“I always wanted to experience it…”

 

“I know but times changed…I grew up and left to be a singer…your Auntie left for law school…the home was already paid off so Grandpa decided to simply live in it…return some privacy…people still visited though to pay their respects to your Grandma…”

 

“I see…”

 

“But…today…the spirit of the home returned…it’s full of life once again…with the whole family here…we might just make it a boarding home once again…”

 

“You should Mom…that would be nice…”

 

“It would be…”

 

“You wouldn’t need to travel anymore…that’s getting tiring for you…I know that already…being at all your tours…tiring…”

 

“Your Mom might be in her 40’s but she can still bring the crowd to their feet!”

 

The mother and daughter both laughed.

 

“Mom…I have always dreamed to be like you…”

 

“No…you must dream to be better than me…don’t repeat my mistakes…you married a great man…live your dreams…I’ll be there to support you…”

 

“Mom…”

 

They both embraced tightly. Tiffany remembered something Seohyun said.

 

“Honey…you mentioned two people you wanted to see…who was the second?”

 

Seohyun was silent. Tiffany noticed it was something important.

 

“Honey…who is it?”

 

“My…real…father…”

 

“Oh…honey…”

 

“Throughout my life, I’ve always wanted to know…there were a lot of father-like figures who came through my life but you never seemed to be interested…even Taecyeon…he was your longest relationship but…it never happened…”

 

Tiffany turned away. Seohyun felt she struck a chord.

 

“Mom…I don’t want to bring out old wounds…but…I need to know…who was he? What was he like? You barely spoke of him…”

 

Tiffany opened up another chest. Seohyun peeked over and was surprised. It was filled with hundreds of letters. Tiffany whispered.

 

“That’s not the only thing…back in my day of the internet and social networking…I used to receive countless emails from him…”

 

“You two had a long distance thing? But how?”

 

Tiffany pulled out a letter and read it out.

 

“Tiffany…my dearest friend…Oppa finally got back to Seoul…it’s sunny…you should come and visit…”

 

Seohyun was interested.

 

“You two were pen-pals? But how did you have…me?”

 

Tiffany closed the chest and sat on top of it.

 

“You ready for a story?”

 

Seohyun smiled.

 

“Am I? My whole life I wanted to hear this story…details, please?”

 

Tiffany closed her eyes and ran through her memories.

 

“Seohyun…this is the story of my life and…my one true love…”

 

Seohyun rested on another chest and with excitement and anticipation written all over her face.

 

“I met Siwon-Oppa when I was 12 years old…”

 

Tiffany, 12 Years Old, Pasadena, CA

 

The summer heat was beginning to set in as the newly promoted 8thgraders were leaving River Creek Middle School to enjoy their summer vacation before high school. The buses were all lined up in front of the school and students swarmed the front side of campus. There were balloons and confetti all over the school yard from all the celebrating. Tiffany and her two closest friends, Jessica, and Tac (short for Taecyeon) were exiting the schoolhouse with high spirits. Tiffany stretched her arms into the air.

 

“I can’t believe it guys! We’re going to be high schoolers soon!!!”

 

Jessica laughed.

 

“I can’t believe it either! I can finally stop being a little girl and be one of the cool high school girls!!!”

 

Tac pushed his large frame eyeglasses up onto his nose bridge and spoke up.

 

“I can’t wait to go to high school and prove to my brothers that I’m the smartest out of the family!”

 

Tiffany and Jessica looked to each and laughed hysterically. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Awww…nerdy little Tac…I’m sure you won’t have any problem proving you’re the smartest since your brothers are all jocks…”

 

Tac blushed. He always liked Tiffany ever since kindergarten.

 

“Tiffany…you think I’m smart?”

 

“Yes! You saved us from failure in 8thgrade earth science class!”

 

Tac laughed and snorted. The girls continued to laugh and hugged him. Jessica spoke up.

 

“Let’s promise our bond won’t break…through high school…through college…and wherever our paths shall take us!”

 

They all put their hands together and screamed aloud.

 

“River Creek Trio Unite!!!”

 

They all laughed loudly as they made their way home. The three best friends all lived in the same neighborhood and were all walking distance from each other’s house. Tiffany’s house was the group’s favorite because of it vast size and it was constantly busy with people leaving and entering. Tiffany’s boarding home was known all over the city of Pasadena. The three friends decided to take their favorite way home which was along the deserted train track. The heat was scourging but that didn’t bother them. Tiffany walked in the center while Jessica was on the left side and Tac tossed rocks on the right side. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Do you guys have any plans for this summer?”

 

Jessica looked up.

 

“Besides hanging out in your house…ummm…nothing…”

 

Tiffany laughed and shook her head. Tac spoke up.

 

“My dad wants me to go to summer camp…”

 

The two girls looked confused. Jessica spoke up.

 

“Summer camp?! How are you going to do that? You haven’t even left you bedroom!”

 

“Haha funny…but seriously…I think I’m going to go…”

 

Tiffany was worried.

 

“What about your allergies? Don’t you hate spiders too?”

 

“I do…but…I think it will help me grow up…I’m kinda tired of being the nerd you know?”

 

Tiffany giggled and pinched his cheek.

 

“But, I like you as a nerdy boy!”

 

Tac blushed.

 

“I know…but…I wanted to prove to the rest of my family that I can be some kind of man too…”

 

Jessica laughed.

 

“A man! That’s so cute!”

 

“Come on…I’ll show you, Jessica! Just watch!”

 

Tiffany laughed as Jessica and Tac argued.

 

Tiffany waved goodbye to Jessica and Tac as she passed through her gates. Tiffany pulled her big pink backpack above her shoulders and the approached the front door. She could already hear the chatter of the visitors behind the door. She sighed and pulled her keys out. She opened the door and aroma of coffee and pastries struck her. The house maid came from the kitchen and smiled when she saw Tiffany.

 

“Fany! How was school, darling?”

 

“It was fun Ms. Rosa…where’s daddy?”

 

“He’s in the backyard speaking with a new guest…says that he’s the son of close family friend…also, your big sister was looking for you…”

 

Tiffany sighed.

 

“What does Samantha want?”

 

Ms. Rosa laughed.

 

“She needs to borrow your house keys…she lost hers…”

 

Tiffany sighed loudly.

 

“FINE! Thanks Ms. Rosa…”

 

“Certainly senorita…make sure to come eat later ok? I’m making your favorite tacos!”

 

Tiffany cheered.

 

“Yay! I’ll be there!”

 

Tiffany hurried upstairs to her room to drop her stuff. She got to the top of the steps and ran into Ms. Wong, a long time visitor and cranky old woman.

 

“I’m sorry, Ms. Wong…”

 

“Fany! Watch out! You could have tripped me!”

 

Tiffany slid past her and hurried down the hall. She got to her room and slammed the door open. Samantha was on her bed with headphones on. Tiffany yelled.

 

“SAMANTHA!!! GET OUT!!!”

 

Samantha rolled over and laughed.

 

“Fany! Welcome back! How was your 8thgrade promotion?”

 

“FUN!”

 

“I bet…it was about time…high school kids get out earlier…so much better…”

 

“SO! I’ll be in high school soon enough!”

 

“Yeah, a freshman, just another push-over…”

 

Tiffany began to pout. The sisters were always bickering against each other. It often drove their dad in insane. Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Ms. Rosa said that you needed my keys…where are yours?”

 

“Dad took them…”

 

“Why?”

 

“Not of your business, brat…”

 

“Is it because of Eddie?”

 

Samantha’s eyes grew angry and she jumped over and slammed the door shut behind Tiffany.

 

“Who…who told you about Eddie?”

 

“Jessica and I were coming home from the 8thgrade dance and we saw you in Eddie Young’s car…kissing…”

 

“Fany…I swear…if you and your stupid friend start telling anyone-“

 

“Unnie…we won’t…we promise…”

 

“I’m planning to see Eddie tonight and I need the keys…Ms. Wong caught me sneaking back into the house and Dad took my keys away…”

 

“Unnie…”

 

“What?!”

 

“I don’t like Eddie Young…he’s…nasty…”

 

“I don’t care…he likes me and I like him…just let me borrow your keys…”

 

Tiffany frowned then dug into her pocket and pulled out her house key. Samantha snatched them out her hand.

 

“Fany…you’re doing a great service here…”

 

“Be careful, Unnie…”

 

“Don’t worry…I got this…oh yes…did you see the new person who will be living with us?”

 

“No…Ms.Rosa said that daddy is showing a family friend around…”

 

“Oh yeah…here take a look…”

 

The two sisters went over to the window and looked down to the backyard. Samantha pointed to a man standing next to their father. Tiffany narrowed her eyes.

 

“He’s so cute…but…I’m not into Asian men…he’s all yours…”

 

“I can’t really see him though…”

 

“Then go downstairs, silly…”

 

“Is he nice?”

 

“No…but he’s a college guy…cute but I prefer working guys like Eddie…”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Well I’ll be going now…go talk to Dad…he wanted to see you and apologize for missing your promotion…”

 

“Oh ok…”

 

Samantha exited the room and Tiffany continued to stare outside at the man that Tiffany’s father was escorting around.

 

“Wow…”

 

Present Time…

 

Seohyun had her jaw dropped.

 

“So you saw him from the window? But, you wouldn’t tell Auntie Samantha?”

 

Tiffany blushed.

 

“I was only a little girl…barely through puberty…I couldn’t even process the feelings I was having…”

 

“Was he really THAT handsome?”

 

“Your father…stopped time the moment I laid eyes on him…”

 

Seohyun swooned and giggled.

 

“Tell me more, Mom!”

 

Tiffany, 12 Years Old

 

Tiffany awoke from her nap and realized that it was already night time. She poked her head towards the window and noticed the lanterns were out on the backyard and there were boarders relaxing and enjoying the night sky. Tiffany decided she wanted to join the rest of the people outside so she washed up and quickly changed into her favorite white dress. She always loved to impress the visitors.

 

“I wonder if Oppa is outside…”

 

She put her hair band on and exited her bedroom. The hallway was dimly lit and she could hear the murmur of other voices within their quarters. She lightly snuck down the hallway and down the stairs towards the living room. She saw her father in his favorite chair reading a book and enjoying his pipe.

 

“Fany? What are you doing up so late?”

 

“Is it that late, Daddy?”

 

She turned and read the clock on the wall. It just turned 10 o’clock.

 

“I’m sorry Daddy, I fell asleep after class…I was exhausted…”

 

“Come over here and let me hug you…”

 

Tiffany’s father was very affectionate towards his children and after his wife passed away, he did whatever he could to keep the family alive and full of life. Tiffany embraced her father and sat on his lap.

 

“Fany, I’m sorry I missed your occasion at school…there were so many people coming in today and Ms. Rosa couldn’t handle it…”

 

“It’s fine, Daddy…”

 

“Tomorrow we’ll go out as a family for ice cream, okay?”

 

“I would love to!”

 

Tiffany’s father smiled and hugged his daughter.

 

“So were you going to greet the visitors? I see you have your pretty dress on. Mama would have loved to see you in that…”

 

“I know she would, Daddy…but yes…I’m going to greet the visitors…”

 

“There are elders as well so be respectful…”

 

“I will Daddy…”

 

Tiffany hopped off her father’s lap and made her way towards the kitchen. Her father spoke up before she left.

 

“Also…there’s a young gentleman who will be joining us…my best friend’s son…he should be outside as well…make him feel welcomed …”

 

“I will Daddy…”

 

Tiffany hurried along as her father continued to smoke his pipe and read his book. Tiffany went through the kitchen and arrived at the backyard door. The door was already open. She walked through and arrived on the porch. The backyard was large with a beautiful garden and small fountain. Her father spent a lot of time in the backyard perfecting it because of its popularity from the guests. As she walked through the porch, she saw and elderly man named, “Mr. Lee,” drinking his late night tea and gazing towards the stars. Tiffany poked him on the arm.

 

“Hi Mr. Lee…”

 

The old Mr. Lee slowly turned and smiled.

 

“Oh, little Fany…how are you?”

 

“I’m fine…any nice stars tonight?”

 

“No…not tonight…I can’t find my favorite one as well…”

 

Mr. Lee has always been searching for a particular star but he could never find it.

 

“You’ll find it sometime, sir…”

 

“I hope so…”

 

Tiffany turned and waved to the older female guests staying in the boarding home. An obese woman named, “Mrs. Yi,” waved her over.

"Give your Auntie a kiss!”

 

She wasn’t her legitimate aunt but she liked to go as “Auntie.” Tiffany hurried over and kissed her on the cheek. She smelled of cheap perfume and cigarettes. Tiffany was used to that aroma so she didn’t mind conversing with the older guests.

 

“Fany, you look so cute tonight! Are you trying to impress someone?”

 

“Just you Auntie!”

 

“Oh my…well actually…there’s a new guest here tonight…look!”

 

Mrs. Yi pointed towards the garden and Tiffany turned and saw a younger man sitting on the bench.

 

“Go introduce yourself to him and make him feel welcomed!”

 

“Should I?”

 

 

“Fany! Come here sweetheart and give

“You welcomed all the older folks here! Now go!”

 

Tiffany smiled and scratched her head. She slowly walked down the porch steps and entered the garden. The garden wasn’t too big but enough to provide beauty and comfort to the home. Tiffany walked around the fountain and approached the young man. He was drinking a glass of iced tea and was staring at the fountain. He was dressed in a dark blue suit jacket and khaki pants. He looked like someone of wealth. Tiffany cleared so he could notice her. He looked like he was in deep thought and didn’t notice her at first. Tiffany coughed even louder. The young man shook his stare off and smiled towards her. Tiffany was awestruck by his gentle smile. Suddenly, it felt like time froze. She didn’t know that this man would be the love and pain in her heart for the next several years ahead of her.

 

“Umm…hello…”

 

The young man responded back.

 

“Hello, who might you be?”

 

“Ummm…I’m Tiffany Hwang…youngest daughter of Stephen Hwang…”

 

“Wait…you’re Fany?”

 

Tiffany blushed brightly when he called her by her nickname.

 

“Yes…”

 

“Well I heard so much about you…wow you have grown up…you don’t remember me huh?”

 

“I don’t…”

 

The young man stood up and put his hand out.

 

“Choi Siwon…pleased to see you again…I visited 10 years ago with my parents….you must have been…2 years old…god, does time does fly…”

 

Tiffany took his hand and shook it. Instantly, she could feel the butterflies explode in her stomach. Siwon laughed.

 

“You okay, Fany? You look uncomfortable…come sit…”

 

“Thanks Oppa…”

 

She sat beside him.

 

“It’s so nice to see you again, Fany…so you’re in high school now?”

 

Tiffany felt confused on how he knew so much about her but in the same time she felt she always knew him.

 

“Yes, Oppa…well…actually…I just finished middle school and heading into high school…”

 

“Wow…so we’re both freshmen then…”

 

“You’re high school too?”

 

“Haha no…I’m heading into college…”

 

“College…”

 

Tiffany thought to herself.

 

“Oh my god…he’s going into college…he’s way older than me…this would never work!”

 

Tiffany smiled at him.

 

“College…wow…”

 

“Yeah…my dad wanted me to go to school here because America has better schools…I got into UCLA…that’s why I’m here…my dad spoke with your dad and I’ll be staying here for while to attend school…I want to be a writer or a pilot…still deciding…”

 

“Really?”

 

“Haha…yes really…I hope you don’t mind though…we’re going to be roommates now…”

 

Siwon laughed. Tiffany couldn’t believe she’ll be living with him. She felt like her wish has been granted. Siwon spoke up.

 

“So where’s your high school? Nearby?”

 

Tiffany shook her head to wake herself up.

 

“Oh yeah! It’s just a couple blocks away but…I’ll be riding a bus to school…”

 

“I see…I rode a bus to high school as well…its fun…”

 

Tiffany felt at ease with him and he loved to chat. She never met a boy so nice to talk to. Siwon got up.

 

“Well Fany…it’s getting late now…I should get some rest…the jetlag is starting to hit my head now…you have a goodnight ok?”

 

Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Ok Oppa…goodnight…”

 

He smiled and gave her a high-five and returned into the house. Tiffany bit her lower lip and stared up into the stars. She smiled to herself. Even though it was a brief moment, she finally felt those feelings she always saw in movies and read in books. Siwon-Oppa quickly came into her life and slowly seized her heart. She slowly rose from her seat and grasped her chest. She could feel her heart beating faster. She knew she had to call Jessica as soon as possible.

 

“Is this how love feels?”

 

 

End of Chapter 1

 

 

 

It looks like a lot has happened through Tiffany’s life and she is slowly unraveling it for her newly-wed daughter. What happened to her in the past? What was her relationship like with Siwon? Where did the love begin? More will be revealed in the next chapter of “Messages from the Heart”!