She's so High

Someday We'll Know

Gary walked along towards the collection of writers and cameramen.  He was first to arrive again, 20 minutes early.  He couldn't help it.  This was his first variety show.  He wanted to do well.  Though he'd been performing in public for years, it was a different kind of challenge to act in front of the camera without a script.  Variety was all about improvisation and reactions, things that he was still not confident in.  But he was working on it.  

As he waited in front of the cameras, he scanned through the crowd, looking at all the managers, PD, writers etc.  He noticed the sound crew attaching a mic to a beautiful woman. She must be the guest.  The guest turned, and Gary instinctively turned away, the way boys do when they are caught staring at a girl.

She walked over and Gary was forced to turn back and acknowledge her, lest he appear stuck up and rude.  "Hello.  I'm Song Ji Hyo" she said, bowing down.  Gary lowered his own head in greeting and reached out to shake her hand.  "I'm Gary" he answered, a little awkwardly.  His mouth was struggling to form words.  

As the rest of the cast began to show up, Gary was consciously aware of Song Ji Hyo.  Without meaning to, he watched her every move and interaction, from her friendly conversations with Jae Suk and Jong Kook--who she'd met on Family Outing, to her introduction to HaHa and Suk Jin.  He felt a flash of bitterness as she hugged Gwang Soo-- obviously, they were familiar with each other.  

Wait.  Is that jealousy?  Gary was perturbed by his infatuation with her.  He tried to focus on preparing for the shoot, but everytime he let his mind drift, he found himself staring after her.  It took all his concentration to will himself off of her and while he could do it for short periods of time, any break in his concentration and he was back to staring at her.   

"Yah Gary hyung!"  Gary turned to see HaHa laughing at him.  He'd seen Gary staring at Ji Hyo.  "Hyung" said HaHa.  "You like her don't you?"

"Don't be stupid" retorted Gary, trying to layer conviction in his voice.  He wasn't sure what he felt for Ji Hyo but he wasn't going to let HaHa figure out his thoughts.  But HaHa gave him a knowing smile and walked off, still snickering.  "Hyung" called out to Jae Suk, probably to go and spread the news.  Gary just shook his head and tried to clear his mind so he could focus on the games.

But even during the games, she was on his mind.  In his eyes.  Literally, she snuck up behind him and scared him.  But even in that moment, he found her beautiful.  During a break in filming, Jae Suk hyung, who had heard everything from HaHa, came over to talk.  

"Be honest, you like Song Ji Hyo shi don't you?" he asked, point blank.  Gary nodded in the negative.  "I don't know what I feel for her" he said, clarifying his thoughts.  "Yah, Gary ya" said Jae Suk, wrapping his arm over Gary's shoulder as if to dispense important information, "at times like this, girls like guys who make bold moves."  "EH HYUNG!" protested Gary, throwing the arm off his shoulder.  He stalked off, trying to get alone with his thoughts.  

Jae Suk stared after him and slowly shook his head.  "Ah cham, that poor guy doesn't see it when everyone else does."  His VJ snickered at that and Jae Suk turned to him to argue.  He pointed back where most of the rest of the cast were chatting.  "Look there.  Jong Kook knows it.  HaHa knows it.  Suk Jin hyung knows it.  The only one who doesn't know is him!"

Gary stalked off, alone with his thoughts.  It seemed to him like he really did like her.  It was a disturbing realization.  Maybe Jae Suk and HaHa were right.  I do like her.  

The next logical step then, would be to ask her out and start dating.  He was so busy trying to figure out how to do that, he didn't realize she was standing in front of him, offering him a hand.  He looked up, confused.  "Do you need a hand or not?" she asked a little annoyed.  Unsure of what he was going to do, Gary reached for her extended hand and let her pull him up to a standing position. "Thanks, Ji Hyo" he started, but she was already walking off, waving a hand over her shoulder as if to say "no problem."

He stared after her, admiring her beauty.  He let out the breath he didn't know he was holding.  I should've asked her out.  That was my chance.  He resisted the urge to whistle as he walked away.  She's so beautiful.  I could never get a girl like her.  But I can dream can't I?