Waves

Someday We'll Know

Inspired by this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT9uIAb6wzQ

"What?" he asked, feeling a little uneasy.  What the hell is she doing?  Some things should be off limits.   I don't really want to have my personal problems hashed out and analyzed on TV.  This might make good entertainment but there are some things that are just off limits.  

Oh my god, how could you have asked that question.  Just because you're curious doesn't mean you should ask such personal questions.  

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?" he asked, trying to counter with just as personal an attack.  But she hardly batted an eye.  "I have" she answered easily.  "An actor?" he pressed, trying to fluster her.  "Is there something wrong with actors?" she asked, deflecting his attack. 

Only when he asked for his name did she get worked up.  I get it.  I shouldn't have started this.  But you took it too far this time.  If you want to play dirty, come on down.  I'll drag you down with me.  "How long were you together?" she interrupted him, mid question.  "5 years" he stammered, unsure of how far she was going to push.  Oppa, you brought this on yourself.  I will not go down alone.

Why did you answer that?  This is dangerous.  Change the subject somehow.  Calm down and be careful.  Don't give anything away.  He laughed awkwardly, trying to cover up his discomfort.  "Why don't you leave him a message?" he asked pettily, trying to regain some control over the situation.  There has to be a line you wont cross.  And when I find it, you will lose a lot more than this game.  

What's the matter with this oppa?!  Why wont he let it go?  I'm sorry I started it already. Ok.  What can I say that wont be too embarrassing?  Just be cool.  He's trying to make you uncomfortable so he can win.  "How are you?" she said, waving at the camera.  "I'm fine." she finished.  What a dirty trick.  I thought he was a professional.  He's no different than me.  No, he is different.  I've got nothing to lose.  You want me to leave a video message?  Let's see how well you do.  "Oppa, why don't you leave a message for her too?" she said, gesturing at the camera.

"Uh, be careful, it's getting cold" he said lamely, just trying not to embarrass himself.  Of course that didn't work out.  "She knows more about the weather than you!" Kyung Shil noona shouted, pointing out the obvious fact that he'd overlooked.  "I know that!" he shouted back, trying not to let the panic he was feeling inside transfer into his voice.  Calm down.  If you get too upset, your face will turn red and you don't want that.  It's definitely time to change the subject.  

But Ji Hyo, sensing weakness, didn't let up. "Are you interested in any other celebrities?" she asked fearlessly.  "It must have been hard for you when we filmed at the weather station seeing all the reminders of her."  That last bit knocked Ha Ha over the edge.  How dare she go there.  That's private.  "What about you?" he countered.  "Can you forget someone you love that easily?"

I struck a nerve.  He seems really upset. Thankfully, Ha Ha's teammates jumped in, diffusing the antagonistic air between them with jokes and the reminder that this was all a game.  It's just a game.  But Oppa, I'm sorry.  That was wrong of me to say that on TV.  

She was stuck though, already having committed so much to the personal romantic attacks.  Just change the subject.  They can edit it later to make the transition smooth.  "Oppa, did you know they sell cream that helps you grow facial hair?" Of all things, why talk about facial hair?  Oh well.  You said it.  Be committed.  See this through to then end.  She reached out and grabbed at his chin.  "Is this real or fake?" she asked, trying to provoke him.  

"Ji Hyo's really into waxing" said Suk Jin from the audience.  OH GOD.  Waxing.  Did he really just say that.  I cannot talk about this.  Oh my god.  This is so embarrassing.  Humiliated, she waited a second to give the editors something to work with before lighting into Suk Jin with words unsuitable to be aired on TV.  I can't believe you'd say something like that.  

Well at least we aren't talking about my ex-girlfriend.  Thanks Suk Jin hyung.  You definitely crossed a line you sick weirdo, but I love you.  You saved me.  Take a breath.  The game will resume in a minute.  Think through what you want to say right now.  "In front of all these people" he began but he was interrupted by Jae Suk. "Hold her hands while you talk" he said. "What?"  "She'll become shy.  Just do it.  It's only a game."  It might only be a game to you but I'm the one who has to hold her hand!  But it was no use objecting.  That would have been more suspicious.  So he held out his hands awkwardly, offering them to her.  

"You like the way this feels right?  Your heart's going crazy" he said, trying to be cool.  Unfortunately, his own body betrayed him, as his heart rate increased. At least she uncomfortable.  Maybe I can use this awkwardness.  Ji Hyo was, after all, squirming around the floor trying to hold in her laughter. 

This is so awkward.  I can feel the sweat on his hands.  At least it's not just me.  "Look into each other's eyes" came the suggestion from Kyung Shil unnie.  The idea made her so nervous, she spat on Ha Ha's face.  MY LIFE.  How could you do that.  So humiliating.  Don't look up.  Don't you dare look up. 

After a quick reset, they resumed.  She prepared herself for any attack he might throw her way.  Looking deep into his eyes, she waited.  

I never knew she had brown eyes.  They're really pretty.  What was I going to say?  "Ji Hyo is..." he said, forgetting what he'd thought of moments before.  "She's pretty on screen" he finished, having totally lost his train of thought.  "Her eyes are big.  She's pretty" he said, unable to stop himself.  What kind of ridiculous attack was that?  You sound like a lovesick puppy.  Snap out of it!  "Just pretty" he said, not even truly sure if he was even talking.  Her eyes were just so deep.  What's behind those beautiful eyes?

What the hell is he saying?  Is this some sort of weird confession?  Why wont he stop looking at me.  Break eye contact.  This is just getting weird and awkward. All because you have feelings for him.  Stupid lie detector.  That has to be wrong.  I'm not attracted to him.  But it says I am.  Holy Crap, how long has it been. Isn't the game over?  HE'S STILL LOOKING AT ME.  She laughed, over acting a little bit in order to break their connection. He seemed to have come to a bit, his face and eyes were now tracking her, mocking her discomfort.  You think this is funny huh?  

It was like snapping out of a trance.  One moment, he was lost in her gaze, next moment, she was shaking her head and he was back in the room, sitting across from her, holding her hands.  What just happened?  I feel tingly all over.  I can hear my heartbeat in my ears.  Oh crap my heart rate is going up. How is her's so low when she's laughing like this.  Do something.  Pull that playboy act. 

"Woah" he said, pulling his hands back.  "Why are you squeezing my hands like that?"  "Is this part of the game?" came the immediate complaint from Gary. "It doesn't look like a game."

This feels funny.  It's just a game.  But it feels real.  That rat bastard. Don't look at him.  Don't fall for that childish face.  Oh god, he's making a face.  His eyes are so big.  He's like a giant teddy bear.  

Don't let her calm down.  Keep looking.  Make her uncomfortable.  Make her squirm.  "She's just pretty" he repeated, unsure about where to go.

Her smile though.  She opens her whole mouth up.  There's something beautiful about that, how her teeth aren't all perfect.  I never really noticed just how beautiful she is.  She's always coming with her hair in a mess, no makeup on her face, tired as hell from drama shoots but still she smiles.  She plays hard.  She just has a beautiful spirit.  

This was just a game to you.  But I definitely felt something.  I guess that lie detector was right.  Somewhere deep down I guess I do like you a bit.  I don't seem to understand my heart as well as I thought I did.  

For a moment, they stared into each others' eyes, neither knowing what the other was thinking.  And though their conflicting feelings confused them, they both felt it.