Team

Someday We'll Know

Ding Dong.  Annoyed, Jong Kook opened his front door, a verbal lashing ready on his tongue to curse whoever had come unannounced so late at night.  But when he opened the door, all his angry intentions were forgotten.  A depressed looking Gary was leaning against the wall, an opened box of soju in one hand and a black plastic bag with food in the other.  He held up the drinks and food, rocking back on his heals. "Join me?" he asked.  Jong Kook took a step back without a word and opened the door wide to let Gary in.  

Gary walked in and made a beeline straight for the couch.  Sitting down, he carefully placed the bag of food on the table before reaching into the box of soju.  He pulled out a bottle and in one swift motion, twisted the cap off.  Before Jong Kook could walk over to the kitchen to grab some glasses, Gary grabbed another bottle and twisted the cap off.  He held it out, offering it, while drinking from the first bottle.  Hesitating, Jong Kook was about to go get the glasses anyway, but Gary shook the bottle in his direction, telling him to take it.  So he did.  

"Cheers" he said, tipping the bottle towards Gary as a toast.  Gary paused long enough to return the gesture, then returned to pulling straight from the bottle.  Jong Kook took a small sip and choked down the clear liquid.  Letting the alcohol burn down his throat, he paused, before asking the question both he and Gary knew was coming.  "So what happened?"

Gary was silent for a long moment.  Shoulders slumped, he twirled his drink aimlessly in his hand while thinking about what to say.  "She said 'No'" he said, voice devoid of feeling.  He twirled the bottle again, eyes tracking the circular path, avoiding Jong Kook's gaze.  "She's said no" he repeated, voice trailing off.  Uncomfortable with how serious and vulnerable Gary was, Jong Kook opened the bag of food to avoid having to respond.  

"I think she's seeing someone" Gary said, breaking the silence.  Feeling more uncomfortable by the minute, Jong Kook stood up and went to the kitchen to get some water.  Returning with two glasses, he sat down after placing one in front of Gary.  "Did she say anything?" he asked, not wanting to discuss this further but uncomfortable with the silence.  

Gary took a final pull on the bottle.  Empty, he raised it up and stared into it, as if looking for more.  "No" he finally answered, putting down the bottle and reaching for a new one.  "But I just have a feeling.  Something's different about her.  When I saw her, it felt like she was waiting for someone."

Jong Kook sat back deeper in his chair to cover his silence.  He'd known this moment would come.  But he hadn't expected it to come so soon.  He wasn't prepared.  What could he say?  There were some uncomfortable truths that he knew--secrets he'd hoped to take to the grave.  He'd known that it couldn't last forever, but like a fool, he'd just hoped the status quo would hold.

But could he hurt Gary like that?  That was the question.  Eventually, the truth would come out.  But did it have to come out now?  And if it didn't, could he lie to Gary?  Could he ignore it and hope it went away?  These were the many thoughts bouncing through his mind.  No matter what I do, someone will be hurt.

Because the truth was, he knew the object of Song Ji Hyo's affection.  He knew him very well.  Because it was him.


"Oppa" she called, half walking half running towards him.  "Where are you going in such a hurry?" she asked, falling into step with him.  "Home" Jong Kook replied, feeling a bit strange.  Ji Hyo seemed happier than usual.  Effervescent.  Bubbly.  Cheerful.  It was weird.  She was normally so serious and uptight.  Leaving her to her manager, he walked away towards his own car.  He was just about to get in when Gary came up behind him.

"Hyung" he said softly, as if not wanting anyone else to hear.  Jong Kook turned to face Gary, hand still on the car door.  "What" he said, before looking down towards Gary's hands, which were held out for him to look at, holding a small box.  A jewelry box.  Excited for his friend, Jong Kook grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him back and forth.  Releasing him, he raised a hand for a high five and pulled Gary close for a shoulder bump.  Turning back to his car, he opened the door and turned back one more time to encourage Gary.  "Good luck" he said, climbing into his car.  

"Hyung" called Gary.  "Do you think she'll like it?" "How the hell should I know?" Jong Kook teased before buckling in his seat and closing the door.  I wonder if Ji Hyo knows.  Maybe that's why she's so happy.  


What the hell do I do now.  I shouldn't lie.  But this is something Ji Hyo should be saying. What the hell is wrong with that woman.  Couldn't she have figured out her life some other time.

"Hyung."  Gary's voice snapped Jong Kook out of his mental anguish.  Right, Gary's here.  Talk to him.  Act natural.  Maybe it won't come up and I wont have to talk about it.  "What?" he asked, lowering his voice to hide his nerves, which only made his voice sound weird.  

Gary burst out laughing.  "You must be so drunk."  He cleared his throat, "What?" he said, mocking Jong Kook.  "What?" he repeated, still channeling Jong Kook's awkward voice.  When the laughs had all gone, a quiet fell across the room.  Gary's face, which moments before was twisted with mirth was now wore a stony expression.  Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out the ring box.  Opening it, he lifted the ring still inside and flung it across the table in Jong Kook's direction.  "She said no, hyung" he said, voice a sad monotone.  


Jong Kook pulled the hat down lower over his head.  It was dark and he was wearing sunglasses but it never hurt to be too careful.  Being seen in public wasn't a big deal, but being seen with Ji Hyo...that was how rumors got started.  He cursed under his breath as he approached the park bench where they'd agreed to meet.  There were lots of couples out for a romantic evening stroll along the riverbank.  As far as discreet meeting places went, this .  

He didn't want to be there.  His body still ached from a long day of filming.  Athletic tape covered his back and legs, easing the pain somewhat but he was still sore.  It was tough being the Commander.  He wanted to rest, get some sleep, start the recovery process.  But Ji Hyo had called.  She'd said it was important.  So he'd come.  But there was no sign of Ji Hyo yet.  A little annoyed, he sat down to wait.


"Why'd you drink so damn much" Jong Kook grunted, annoyance and relief mixed in his voice.  He dragged an unconscious Gary over to the cab he'd called.  Somehow, he'd made it through without having to tell Gary about Ji Hyo.  But now he had to get a drunk Gary home.  He shoved Gary into the backseat then walked around to the other side.  Climbing in, he gave the driver the address before taking out his phone to send a quick message, "We need to talk."


"Oppa" Ji Hyo started, struggling with how to speak her mind.  Her nose red from cold and her eyes watery from the stinging wind, she bravely tried to speak the words she'd called him to hear.  "How do you feel about me?"

Jong Kook didn't give it a second thought.  "Fine" he answered.  Seeing that she was looking for more, he elaborated.  "You're nice.  We get along.  You're a good friend....oh".  He could tell by looking at her expectant eyes that this was not the answer Ji Hyo was looking for.  "Oh" he repeated, stupidly.  "You meant do I like you."

Ji Hyo shook her head up and down.  Yes.  She did like him.  Suddenly afraid to hear his answer, she confessed to him, too afraid to let him talk.  "Oppa, I like you a lot.  And it's okay.  You don't have to say anything.  It's really sudden and you probably haven't given this much thought and we work together so it might be a little weird but it doesn't have to be.  We can just be friends still.  Nothing has to change if you don't want it to."  She was speaking so quickly that Jong Kook had a hard time getting a word in.  But when he did, it was a question she knew he'd ask.  "What about Gary?"


Jong Kook paused, taking time to go over his thoughts.  This was going to be painful.  And awkward. But he had to do it.  There was no other way.  "I can't be with you" he said, head tilted down, looking at the table between them.  He forced himself to raise his eyes and look at her.  She deserved a proper answer, not one masked by shame.  He would not take the cowardly way out.  Every bone in his body screamed in protest.  The gaze from her eyes felt like thousands of needle pricks against his skin.  He felt sick.  He was embarrassed.  But he held his head up, eyes forward, mentally readying himself for any reaction from tears to curses.  "I can't" he repeated.  

"It's Gary" she said, her female intuition guiding her his reasoning.  Before she could inquire further, it all came gushing forth.  

"He's a good friend" he started.  "And he really loves you.  And I get that you don't feel the same way but I can't do that to him.  I can't betray him, not after you broke his heart.  And I get it, believe me, I get it.  It's not fair to you.  But I'm his friend.  I can't hurt him again.  Not like this.  Not now."  The words spilled out, unburdening his heavy heart, now her cross to bear.

Ji Hyo stood, fighting back tears.  "Not now?" she asked, "Or not ever?"  Too upset and heartbroken to listen to his answer, she walked out, tears dripping down her face.  

She made it a few steps outside before he caught up with her.  "Wait!" he said, grabbing her arm.  Spinning her around so he could face her, he held her by the shoulders and leaned down so they were face to face.  "I'm sorry" he said.  She tried to pull away but he held her back and waited until she met his eyes again.  "Maybe someday" he said.  "But not today."  She broke free from his grasp but this time he just sprinted around her, blocking her path.  "One more thing" he said.  Pointing back over her shoulder, he continued, "You and I can't happen until you and him are over."   Looking over her shoulder, Ji Hyo saw what he was pointing at, a large electronic billboard with the cover of GQ Korea.  The model on the cover: Kang Gary.

He gave her a small smile.  "Maybe one day" he said, "You and I will get our chance." He looked up at the image of Gary, which slid off screen and was replaced by the Coca Cola logo.  "He'll understand eventually.  Just give him time."

"What if he doesn't?" she asked, unable to keep from crying.  Jong Kook held her close in a hug.  When she'd gotten her tears under control, he gave his answer.  "Then I guess I'll have to keep waiting" he said.