Immortals

Someday We'll Know

The white veil fit perfectly.  Ji Hyo smiled as she looked at her reflection, happy as could be.  Turning, she stood up and twirled in her white dress.  The response was immediate and gratifying.  "Unnie, you look perfect."  "You look so pretty."  "Wow"  "Beautiful."  

Ji Hyo was a little embarrassed by all the attention, but tried not to let it affect her.  She was only going to do this once after all.  She wanted to remember every moment, even the ones that were a little embarrassing.  It was her wedding.  The happiest day of her life thus far.  

There was a knock at the door.  One of Ji Hyo's bridesmaid's opened the door and let in Jae Suk and Jong Kook oppa, along with Lee Kwang Soo.  The three Running Man members all complimented her on her beauty.  Kwang Soo gave her an affectionate kiss on the cheek.  "Noona, you're so pretty today."  "You must be so happy" commented Jong Kook and when she blushed, Jae Suk had the gall to call her out, "She must really like it, look how red her cheeks are."  

They chatted a bit before Kwang Soo left to rejoin the other guests.  Jae Suk and Jong Kook stayed to discuss wedding details with Ji Hyo.  Jae Suk would emcee and Jong Kook was going to be a glorified wedding singer. "'Letter?'  Or Maybe 'Star Wind Sunshine and Love?'"  "Why do you sing those songs?" questioned Jae Suk.  "Sing Loveable.  That's your big hit.  That's the song everyone wants to hear you sing."  "No one wants to hear that.  It's too sappy" said Jong Kook but Jae Suk jumped all over him.  "It's HER WEDDING you idiot.  It's the happiest, sappiest, most romantic day of her life.  If you don't sing it now, when can you sing it?" There was no comeback to that.  So Jong Kook just turned back to Ji Hyo.  "What song do you want me to sing?" he asked.  

"'This is the Person'" she said, without hesitation.  And then as a joke she added, "And 'Loveable.'"  "Aw you're killing me" he complained before giving in.  "I'm only doing this cause it's a special day" he said, agreeing to sing 'Loveable.'

After they walked out, Ji Hyo took a moment to examine herself closely in the mirror. She'd spent hours on her makeup and hair and wanted to make sure everything was absolutely perfect.  But no matter how she tried, she couldn't keep the big, goofy grin off her face.  She was just that happy.  Her whole body tingled with an extra energy, the kind of nervous energy true happiness brings.  

Outside, HaHa, Suk Jin and Kwang Soo waited to go in.  Other celebrities greeted the Running Man members, who smiled and exchanged pleasantries.  But while each looked happy on the outside, they were all wondering the same thing.  Where's Gary?

Truthfully, Gary did not want to be there.  Though the Monday Couple wasn't real, his feelings were.  He'd just never been able to make her see that.  His pride wouldn't let him risk rejection.  His easy going personality masked his sincerity.  And while he wasn't forthright with his feelings, Ji Hyo had been incredibly blind to his double entendres and doublespeak.  

But ultimately, the blame lay with him.  6 years.  He'd had 6 years to make a move.  He hadn't.  And eventually she'd met a man.  A man that she fell in love with. They were getting married today.  And while he couldn't stomach the thought of her having forever with someone else, he couldn't fault her for doing so. He'd long ago gave up any right to question her decisions.  

His phone interrupted his mental pity party.  "Hello?" he answered.  "Hyung, where are you?" hissed HaHa, trying to be discreet.  "I'm not going" answered Gary, ready to hang up and lie in bed alone.  "Hyung, don't be like that....Hyung?  Hyung?  That bastard hung up on me" cursed HaHa, looking at Suk Jin for what to do next.  "Should I call him back?"  "Maybe later" decided Suk Jin, deeply disturbed by what was going on.  It would be best if he came but at the same time, they all understood why he didn't want to.

"Unnie" her bridesmaid said, holding out her phone.  "It's Gary oppa."  Ji Hyo took the phone.  "Oppa!" she greeted, happy to hear from him.  But there was silence on the other end.  "Gary oppa?" she said, pulling the phone away from her ear to look and see if the connection had dropped.  "Yeah" answered Gary, who was still trying to figure out what he wanted to say.  

"Ji Hyo" he started, but at that moment, one of the wedding staffers entered.  "Miss Song, it's time" she said simply.  "Oppa, I have to go" said Ji Hyo, cutting Gary off.  "We'll talk after.  Bye." With that, she hung up.  Taking a final check in the mirror, she touched up her make up and made her way to the main hall.

"Ok" said Gary, talking into the already dead phone.  He threw it on the couch and then followed it, collapsing deep into the cushions.  

"And now, before we marry the bride and groom, we have a special performance.  He's a great friend of mine and Ji Hyo's, he stars with us on Running Man.  Singing the congratulatory song, Kim Jong Kook" emceed Jae Suk.  As Jong Kook sang, Gary snuck in from the back.  It had taken a while to get ready, but he finally came, mind winning over heart to bring him here.  Stealthily moving so as not to draw attention to himself, he found his way to the table with Suk Jin, HaHa and Kwang Soo, who gave him a sort of half seated hug upon seeing him.  

"Where were you" HaHa hissed at him, trying to keep his voice down.  "I was busy" Gary lied, looking around to get his bearings.  HaHa dropped it and pointed off to side.  "Did you sign in?" he asked, looking in the direction of the wedding registry.  "Not yet" said Gary, eyes fixed on Ji Hyo.  She looked so beautiful, in her white gown and glowing face.  "The love I could never find, this is the person" sang Jong Kook and the words hit Gary like a ton of bricks.  She was the one.  

"And now" Jae Suk said, almost finished, "the moment we've all been waiting for" he paused to build up some drama.  "You may kiss the bride" he said as the audience erupted in cheers.  Ji Hyo closed her eyes and waited for their lips to lock. From the table, Gary turned away, unable to watch.  Slowly, their lips came closer and closer and when they finally touched, another cheer from the crowd washed over them.  Jae Suk, forever the professional, narrated the moment and it's significance, "and now the married couple, (insert name here) and Song Ji Hyo!"  

Gary finally looked up at that and saw Ji Hyo, smile wide across her face, veil pulled back from her face, looking radiant and happy.  Well it's over now.  Goodbye, Song Ji Hyo.

Next week, Ji Hyo's marriage was the talk of the opening segment. Even the guests joined in to congratulate Ji Hyo on her marriage.  Now that she was married, that left only Jong Kook, Gary and Kwang Soo single.  For the first time, Running Man was majority married.  "Get married already" Jae Suk badgered Jong Kook, who at 40 was the oldest one still single.  But Jong Kook deflected attention by picking on Suk Jin.  "Hyung, what's with that look?"

Suk Jin was looking at Gary, head slightly tilted, eyes unfocused as if not seeing him.  "I feel sad for Gary" he said, which caused an eruption of laughter.  "I didn't think of that" said HaHa, laughing.  "Is the Monday Couple over now?" asked Kwang Soo, immediately creating an awkward atmosphere.  Gary wasn't sure how to respond, and Ji Hyo just looked embarrassed.

Jae Suk slapped Kwang Soo across the face to lighten the mood again.  "That's not something you should be saying now" he said.  "Have a little common sense." "That's right" said Jong Kook, moving over to slap Kwang Soo across the face a 2nd time.  "How could you be so careless and just say things like that" continued Suk Jin, who got the 3rd slap.  The gag repeated until everyone had slapped Kwang Soo and the moment passed.  

But it returned quickly with the formation of the teams.  Uee took Jae Suk and Kwang Soo.  Hara took Jong Kook and HaHa.  That left Song Ji Hyo with Gary and Suk Jin.  Everyone looked uncomfortable with how the teams worked out.  Gary was sure they would have to re-shoot the guest introductions and team selections and break up the teams.  

Somehow, Jae Suk saved the moment.  Looking at them, he said, "They still look good together" which caused both Ji Hyo and Gary to laugh.  With the ice broken, they managed to overcome the awkwardness and work as a team, bringing back more jokes like "they look like a married couple with their father in law" and "It's like they never broke up." 

And while Ji Hyo was now married, it really was like they hadn't broken up.  The Monday Couple survived, despite the conventional wisdom.  Somehow, what Gary and Ji Hyo had built lasted beyond what either of them expected.  It wasn't real in that they weren't a romantically linked couple.  But in every other way that mattered, they were. Then, now, in the future.  Forever the Monday Couple.