Shut Up and Dance

Someday We'll Know

"No way" he said.  He couldn't even look at her.  Now they wanted him to dance with her?  He couldn't do it. 

"Stop being difficult" scolded Suk Jin hyung.  Jong Kook just glared at him but was soon overcome by the other members.  "Hyung" called HaHa, the traitorous scoundrel.  "Show off your moves!"

Even the staff got in on it.  The writers and producers conspired to change the game from a team battle to a couple battle.  Of course, he and Soo Ae were "volunteered" for the game.  

What made it worse was he was totally unsure how she felt.  It was one thing to say something on camera on a variety show.  It was a totally different thing to actually mean it.  Jong Kook knew that well.  They all played characters on camera.  But he didn't know Soo Ae well enough to know if she was serious or just going along with those cheeky bastards.

So when the music started, he slowly began to sway to the beat.  Though his back was turned to her, he could feel her stiffness.  She was definitely not feeling the music.  But in front of him, HaHa, Gary, and Jae Sook were going crazy.  He didn't know what to do.  In his mind, he had 3 options.  Option 1: do nothing and just force them to reshoot the scene or edit around the lack of dancing.  Option 2:  Continue to dance awkwardly on his own and just deal with the self consciousness.  Option 3:  Dance more forcefully and hope Soo Ae would follow along.  Unsure, he started to go for option 3 but his uncertainty made it more like option 2.

Mercifully, the music cut out.  But his relief was temporary.  Like a dog with a bone, they just wouldn't let it go.  "This is a family show!" yelled Kwang Soo.  "You can't dance like that!"  

"Stop hitting on her!" yelled Jae Suk, stepping forward to intervene.  "Did you see that" Gary said to HaHa, mimicking the way he had swung his hips.  Even Ji Hyo was in on it, pointing at where they had been dancing and gesturing something that seemed vaguely ual.

"It's not like that!" he said, trying to defend himself but his words fell on deaf ears.  "That was disgusting" said Kwang Soo.  He stepped up to the center and mocked his dance, swaying his hips suggestively while spinning his arms.  

Desperate, he looked for Soo Ae, hoping for some support but she had walked away and was covering her face.  He couldn't tell if she was laughing or embarrassed, but either way, he was getting any help from her.  

After the hubub died down, the PDs decided to try again.  Resigned to starting over, Jong Kook stepped to the center once again and listed as the PD directed how he wanted the scene to go.  "We'll keep the cameras off for now" the PD said.  "We wont record so just try to get comfortable with each other.  Just think of it as practice."

Jong Kook really didn't want to do it again, and was sure Soo Ae wanted to do it even less, but to his surprise, she turned to him and asked him how to dance.  He could see the professional pride coming out as she tried to overcome her poor dance skills by mirroring his every move.  Though she was still stiff and awkward, she could at least mimic the moves.  If they danced together, the synchronization and coordination would make it look pretty good.

Satisfied that everyone was on the same page, the PDs announced the cameras were being turned back on and that they were going to reshoot the game.  "Ready,  Action!"

Jong Kook casually backed up to Soo Ae, swinging his body to the beat, just as they had practiced but suddenly, Soo Ae came alive, shaking and shimmying like a professional go go dancer.  Gone was the shy, chaste actress, replaced by a y, confident dancer.  This was the power of an actress.  Jong Kook was struggling to keep up.

The reaction from the staff and the members was of surprise and delight.  Cheers came flying in from all directions until Soo Ae initiated contact that was too suggestive to used on camera.  Surprised, Jong Kook froze and turned to stare, shocked at what had just transpired.  "What was that?" he asked, unable to understand what he was seeing.  

When the music stopped, it was like she had been snapped out of a dancing trance.  Suddenly, her expression no longer conveyed y confidence but fear and anxiety. Her arms and legs lost coordination with the music and she was back to being stiff and awkward.

But Jong Kook had seen enough.  He was already smitten. He no longer cared about whether she'd been serious about liking muscular men.  It didn't matter.  She'd seduced him with her moves.  He couldn't wait for the next take to watch her dance again.