Chapter 5: Knowing Kim Minseok by the words of others

A Game of Love at First Sight

 

Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol stood at their impatiently waiting for us to go down the plane stairs. Kyungsoo who was first to get down run towards Baekhyun who accepted it with open arms which earned a colorful word whispered courtesy of Jongin. We followed suit. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were staring at me. Baekhyun sighed but Chanyeol grabbed my collar and landed a fist on my face. He chukled. "That totally worked!" He stated. Jongin, Tao, Kris, Yixing, Joonmyeon, and Jongin stood silently while gawking at his action and I was surprised rather than enraged. Chanyeol and Baekhyun have been my high school buddies and they were cool. We have a constant communication and is mutually in good terms. 

"Uncle!" Joonmyeon reproached from behind. Baekhyun stared at him while Chanyeol just grimaced. 
"It sounds weird so cut it off, call me your cousin, Joonmyeon-hyung!" Joonmyeon just nodded. Chanyeol motioned us to follow him and hastily we did. "You finally realized the truth now, Joonmyeon?" Chanyeol flatly commented making Joonmyeon deflate. 

"I'm sorry" Chanyeol just nodded silently. I have known Chanyeol for years and he seldom uses violence against another though often he receives it courtesy of Baekhyun. We entered a black sedan. I rubbed the sore spot in my face. Chanyeol noticed my actions as he grinned "Sorry bout the punch but I do not regret it. I was holding it back for 15 years" Baekhyun was playing with his laptop when he eyed Joonmyeon. 
"I wired the private villa, no one is there"

"But I am sure they are in Maldives!' Joonmyeon panicked. I was tensing up with the thoughts of the grim fate crossing baozi. Kyungsoo was a mess too, he was blank and cold but tears were threatening to fall even with Jongin's constant comfort and assurance. Tao and Kris were busy with their phones contacting every person that may help in our search. I was gripping my hand tightly. Baekhyun sighed. It was frustration as he was trembling. His hands were. Small beads of what appears cold sweat trickled down his forehead. He sped up his typing into the laptop before Chanyeol took it. He scanned through the monitor and paused to think alertly. Chanyeol was quick witted despite his carefree demeanor and even among us, he was second to no one in the honor's list. "An abandoned factory and a medical hospital" He pondered. "Among the five properties excluding the villa, these two are most likely. We have to carefully choose though it needs 4 hours to travel from one place to cross the other and with the fastest speed under limitation we can arrived at one sight two hours after." He calculated. He bumped his head on the window as he was sitting next the car's door. "Assuming in worst possible scenario, Minseok-hyung was abducted yesterday night in Korea, the flight time from Korea to here is 8 hours and the additional 2 hours for the travel" He shivered at the his calculation. My heart quickened at his words. Kyungsoo was shaking like there was no tomorrow. "We must speed it up! We need to do something to narrow our speculations to just one place! FAST!" he concluded urgently. Baekhyun was practically biting his nails off. I was hopeless and useless as my mind was going haywire. I was praying for Minseok safety as I impatiently tapped my feet on the car's floor. I stared at Joonmyeon. 

"Can't you call your father?" I asked. They widened their eyes. Tao and Kris exchanged glances with each other. Joonmyeon nodded. He quickly fished the phone from his pocket but Kris caught a hold of it and cancelled it. We stared at him in disbelief. 

"We'll just endanger Minseok-hyung if you directly ask" He explained. He eyed Kyungsoo then back to Joonmyeon. "I am quite aware of the fact that you are both Minseok-hyung's students" He said. He eyed the laptop and took it from Chanyeol's palm. Kris was raised to be CEO with Tao but he was more efficient in running the business than the latter. Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon stared at each other then nodded. "I texted Kim Tae-ho and informed him of our situation" he earned a look of shock which he coolly shrugged. "He informed me of a computer program that Minseokie-hyung made for the two of you. It was a tremendous tracking program which he divided into two and gave you both the key" He said as he inserted his pen drive into the USB hub. A glint of acknowledgent crossed both Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo's face. "Foxtrail" Kyungsoo muttered. "Foxpath" followed by Joonmyeon. Joonmyeon rumaged his wallet while Kyungsoo took the golden necklace hanging on his neck. Joonmyeon produced a small silver necklace pendant which appears to be a pen drive and handed it to Kris after Kyungsoo gave his necklace pen drive. Kris placed the pen drives and was surprised at the unitelligible words in the monitor. Baekhyun took it from him. 

"I don't know how you had the 'Foxkey' which I am sure was in Minseok's care but I know how to rearannge it" Baekhyun stated as he concentrated at the laptop screen. We were now at an intersection and ordered the driver to temporarily halt before we make our choice. "This is the Foxeyes" He said as he turned the laptop screen towards us showing a pair of glaring fox eyes before a small blue box popped up. "A wire-tapping program Minseok and I made out of boredom. It detects the nearest phone conversation within the set parameters. Go ahead and call." He signalled for Joonmyeon to call. "We can track the receiver's location and do many pranks with it. It was originally a prankster program made by us to eavesdrop at the adult's conversations" He explained. He eyed the program with nostalgia. Baekhyun was the techy kid in the group. He was always off to the land of virtual realities. We nervously stared at Joonmyeon then to the laptop then vice versa. Joonmyeon called his father. "Father? Is this you? Where are you?" He eyed the laptop screen who was now loading for the location and traced it swiftly. Baekhyun ordered the driver to drive at his direction then glanced at Joonmyeon signalling him to entertain his father as of the moment. "I am in need of money" He excused. "It is of urgent business" He sighed. He tapped his fingers impatiently before the other speaker spoke. "Is that so? I can ask for mother?" Dilly-dally more. Baekhyun motioned. 

"Busy him with the phone as mush as possible. It can maybe save Minseokie-hyung" Baekhyun whispered. As he once again tapped the sweating driver and ordered him to go past the limits. The car accelerated as his order. Joonmyeon was on the phone busy for 30  minutes. For an hour an a half we clenched our knees silently while Baekhyun was still playing with his laptop with Kris giving him advice. They seem to be contacting people with the program. I gritted my teeth in nervousness. Tao and Yixing was silent while Kyungsoo was blank with Jongin worried. Joonmyeon buried his face on his palms. Chanyeol has his eyes fixed on the road. As soon as we arrived at the abandoned hospital, Baekhyun told us to follow him as he traced the position of Minseok with the records from the call. 

Tao silenced the men who attacked with his Wushu skills. Kris simply beat them like an American street thug. Cruel and cold. Yixing was our bodyguard. He has his electric gun on him. Tao and Kris joined us immediately. 
"What is all this commotion about, Joonmyeon?" A deep voice inquired. His eyes were in a fit of rage as he recognized Joonmyeon, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Chanyeol. "Chanyeolie?" he stuttered. Chanyeol glared at him. 

"Where is Minseok?"Chanyeol was never terrifying than that moment. A dark laugh echoed throughout the room. 

"So you're here to free that cursed devil. Have you been bewitched by that devil also like father?"

"Father! Where is Minseok-hyung?" Joonmyeon pleaded. An expression of disgust crossed his face at Joonmyeon's words. 

"Hyung? That bastard is not your brother! He took away everything from you! But worry not, Joonmyeon he shall return to what befits him. To hell!" I was unable to hold it. I grabbed his collar and punched the daylights out of him and run towards the silent hallways of the creepy place. It was the sound of beatings that made me pale. I kick the door open startling the goons halting their activities. There was Minseok unrecognizable and covered in blood. It was more that rage. I felt the demon eating me. It was totally black as I punched every man who dared lay a finger on baozi. Tao and Kris quickly saved Minseok from his predicament as he lowered him to the ground. Yixing saved me from becoming a muderer as he put me into a stop and knocked the goons into unconciousness. "Hyung! Hyung! Hyung!" Kyungsoo shouted. He was trembling and sobbing in Jongin's arms. Joonmyeon was crying without a word. Tao and Kris just stared at him silently, panicking. Baekhyun and Chanyeol immediately performed first aid to help him. I walked towards him in dazed. Crying. "No!" I denied. His eyes shows signs of surrender. "Wake up!" I plead as I plopped down near his body. He seemed to have seen me as he weakly smiled and placed his bloodied hands in my face. "Why are you crying?" He gently asked voice faltering and weak. He carressed my face so tenderly as he spoke in a almost-silent voice. "I'm sorry" He said as I felt tears pouring out of my eyes again. "I love you" he continued before his hands slipped away from my face. He was unconcious. The medical team Kris and Beakhyun contacted earlier arrived and rushed to the scene. I watched as they carried him gently outside the building and us trudging behind. I was allowed to accompany him towards the hospital. I was crying my eyes out while holding his hands on our way to the medical institution.

 

---

 

Kim Tae-ho. He was an dignified old man in his early 70's. His face was stone-hard and grim. He watched his scion on the bed with a cold and unchanging expression. His hard gaze fell on me. "Mr Lu Han of Dawn Trades, I assume." he stated as I nodded at him. The door burst open revealing a madame in a blue cocktail dress panting heavily and hair disarranged. "Sohye-ssi, please refrain from such rudeness" The lady simply returned the glare at the old man. Kyungsoo trodded behind her. The lady walked bravely towards the old man and slapped him hard. Kyungsoo stared at them blankly. 

"This is not what you promise! I agreed to your terms in assurance that Minseok are to be of harm's way" The old man though enraged at her rudeness remained silent. "We shall have him under our wings and announce ship of the family"

"You shall not. Minseok is my heir and it is to remain that way" He was a stubborn old man trying to intimidate the fearless mother. I sighed at them and gripped Minseok's hands hard. 

"I have been deceived by your words far too long. I am partly to blame for my impassiveness. We were afraid of you because of your craftiness but not now. I shall detached that wretched name of yours to my son's being. Minseok is Minseok himself and no one else's shadow!"

"You foolish woman! You are raising a war at your thoughts!"

"It is not me who raised the war it was your son!"

"I have no more to say to a mad woman" Kim Tae-ho left the room before a last glance at the bandage-filled state of his grandson. The cold old man spared a compassionate look at his grandson. Guilt was in his eyes but it disappeared immediately as he left the room. The lady who appeared to be in her early forties spared a look at me and smiled sadly. "I heard a lot from you from Kyungsoo" Kyungsoo stared at her then left the room hesitantly. Her eyes was on her son's as she continued "and from Minseok too" she smiled bitterly as tears was released in her eyes. "Maybe it was because of the way he was raised but Minseok has never refered to me as a mother before. It was always auntie and lady and I was find with it as long as I can get to see him. He was polite and pure. Gentle beneath that robotic expression. He was also cute with that fluffy cheeks of his" She chuckled at his words I just nodded in response. "He was always attached to Kyungsoo and sometimes I felt left out of their closeness but I was extremely glad they were having fun" her eyes was on me. I intently listened to her words. "It was during his second semester in high school that I first called him refer to me as mom. He was excited that time." She placed his gaze on Minseok's face again. She stood up and carressed Minseok face. "It was a euphoria for me. It was the first time I saw him smile brightly at me. He said that there was a transferee in his class that he was so beautiful" She chuckled. "Now I can see why he was so proud that time. Minseok loves beautiful and cute things, you know. I was his only confidante of his hobbies and strange attachment to Kyungsoo's eyes" She patted his head and sat down gently next to the sleeping Minseok. "One day he came to the house confused. He glared at his chaffeur at that time who laughed it off. It was saturday since I can only see him on saturdays. Kyungsoo was on his room that time. He pouted as he pondered and I watched with amusement. I asked him of his worries and it was of love. He was becoming more human like than robot like and I was really grateful" She smiled at me then glared at me. "Then he resumed his robotic lifestyle at the end of the sem" She laughed bitterly. "Apparently he cannot bring himself to talk to you, I remembered I was enrage that time too. I was to storm to your school and have you taste my fits but Minseok held my arms and said 'He said I was allowed to live and that was enough'. It was the first time that someone's words had a huge effect on him. I know of his father's wrongdoings but I was assured that it was nothing. Minseok told me that it was alright. I should have known that day that he surrendered to the fate of death at such a young age! Failed, aren't I? As a mother" She cried softly as she watched Minseok's face. I left the room and found Baekhyun and Chanyeol with a sleeping Kyungsoo. Jongin must have gone to buy some food. I sat across Baekhyun. 

"How's he?" He asked. 

"Still unconcious" Chanyeol eyed at me while Baekhyun was on his laptop screen. Something in the monitor brought smile to his face.

"Minseok was really pure"

"I know"

"He was the best a friend could ask. He was loyal and comforting. He won't have any of it though. He was cold since he was raised to perfection, to be someone who can do anything and do it with excellence" He smiled. "He was the reason I met Chanyeol and also the trigger for Kyungsoo and Jongin. He was such a cupid, that one rascal, yet he cannot dare approach you" Chanyeol chuckled at the memories. 

"I have you investigated that time, I remembered and gave him the results but he never read it. Invasion of privacy, he defended though he was really dying to read it. It was the first time I saw him in that state" Chanyeol continued. Baekhyun smiled. 

"And the first time I saw him cry" Baekhyun said. "Funny thing is even he was surprised he was crying"

"I really wanna beat the living daylights out of you that day" Chanyeol chuckled lightly earning an elbow from Baekhyun. 

"That's why your punch really hurts. It has fifteen years of reserved strength in it" I joked making Chanyeol smile at me. 

"He was awkward that Minseok-hyung. Even his confession was awkward but so like him" Baekhyun eyed the laptop screen and turned it for me to see. It was the mysterious math answers. I remembered that our last assignment were answered on the board with another puzzle that says 'USE ASCII TO INCORPORATE THE VALUES' and a clean handwritten 'To Luhan'. I thought it was some prank and challenge from one math geeks so I paid not much attention. "Remember?" I nodded. He chuckled. "Apparently you left your math notebook that day and have answers that are wrong so he decided to help out. Minseok was as intelligent as no one. He was effortlessly genius but also greatly stupid"

"It took me half an hour to solve that puzzle" Chanyeol whined before a laugh escaped his lips "I never won against him before be it video games, sports, academics, or arguments. I was always at the top of the class until I met him. I was frustrated and vent on winning against him but he just said 'It is impossible of you since you've been running in my shadows. Why not shine your own?' I was really enraged that time that I practically punched him" He laughed loudly. "You know what he said? 'You seem to excel at brawling but violence is something I am not interested' then walked off. I laughed hard that time and followed him ever since then. I was only eight that time and he was ten"

"Hey! I took two days even with your clues! What does that make me?"

"Well at least you solved it after two days. Mr. Lee took a month to solve it" I stared at the glaring monitor screen and memorizing the problem. "You wanna solve it? I can give you the answer" I shook my head. 

"I'll solve it on my own"

"A little clue then, find for the errors" I nodded before Jongin arrived and peeked at the laptop screen he winced at recognition. "The mysterious black board incident?" He commented earning a  chuckle from Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Jongin have five ramen cups on his hand. I took one. Sohye-ssi exited the room and stared at Jongin then to the peacefully sleeping Kyungsoo then to me. 
"Kyungsoo would not want to go home until his hyung wakes up so take care of him for me, alright? Just call me if anything happens here" She ordered Jongin who nodded. "Please take care of my Minseok, Luhan-ssi! That boy is quite naive despite his deep knowledge so guide him well. I'll go home first and prepare for some things. I'll leave first Bye everyone!" She bids as with her tear-strained face. I entered the room once again. How many hours has it been since we arrived. 5 hours? 6 hours? Yet Minseok showed no sign of waking up. The constant signs of his vital statistics were my only comfort. I took a piece of paper from the table where oddly a notepad was located and the pen in pocket. I scribbled down the puzzle as I have seen. I squeezed my brain in solving it. 

It was the opening of the door that took me away from my concentration. Kim Tae-ho returned. He eyed his grandson as if unaware of my presence. 

"Sir?" I ask. He swiftly withdrew the compassionate stae and change it into his usual cold glare. He stared at me. He was an awkward man, I can sense it. He was much like Minseok in a way. He took a seat at the empty sofa. 

"How was he when you found him?" He inquired. I shivered at the memory. It was all that it took to answer his inquiries as he softly answered "I see." His eyes scrutinized me and a smile appeared on his face. It was for a moment. "Do you love my grandson, Luhan-ssi?" I was taken aback by his question. The redness in my ear must have again answered his question but this time he waitied for my confirmation. 
"Too much, sir" I answered. He contemptlated. 

"I see" he murmured as his longin gaze trailed at his grandson. He hands me a scoresheet. "Minseok has this hobby of playing anything in the piano after waking up. He always have that electric keyboard at his room and that gadget that controls sounds so I came to drop it off. It was his favorite classical piece. I'll return when he wakes up" he left the room with brisk steps. I stared at the squibbles of notes in the paper and placed it at his headboard. I smiled at Minseok as I cupped his cheeks. "Wake up already baozi, many people are waiting" I said as I planted a kiss on his forehead. My eyes stared at the door. I smiled. The old and hard Kim Tae-ho is just a doting granfather in front of baozi. 

------

The blinding sun rays pierced my poor eyes. I blinked it open and found myself laying on the long sofa and Minseok gone in his bed. I checked my watch which informed me it was still seven in the morning. I dashed for the bathroom to search for Minseok but he was not there. I left the room and found no one. It seems to have lapsed my memories that everyone left for a sleep even Kyungsoo with Jongin's insistence. I stared at the room and remembered Tae-ho-ssi's words. I rushed towards the ony place where a piano is located the music room upstairs. I heavied a sigh of relief as I found him there playing the piano beautifully. Fantasie Impromptu, I recall it was that title that was written on the score sheet. Minseok was having fun. He was playing passionately and perfectly. A thought of worry crossed my mind but his music calms me. He finished the piece with a satisfied smile. I clapped. He stared at me aghast. "Luhan" He called. I approached him and hug him tightly that he winced. I chuckled. "Sorry" I muttered. He shook his head.

"Xiu- Can I call you Minseok?" He stared at me then nodded. I stared at his guilty and grim expression "On the other hand, baozi is more suitable" He pouted. 

"Hey!" 

"Never leave me again" He stayed silent. As I pleaded. He stared at me with tears in his eyes.

"I must"

"You won't. I'll die" He stared at me in disbelief. "You'll kill my heart" I said. He cried. So fragile. 

"I am not fit for you. It is not I to be by your side Luhan" He argued. Despite his words, I can feel his love. His struggle to let me free for what he thinks is the best for me. His love was selfless as much as it is cruel. Cruel to both me and him. The tears that runs down his face tells of his grief as he believe it shall never be us. "You are not for me, Luhan. You are way too angelic for a crude like me. I shall not have you tainted" He whispered. His silent prayers and rejection of realities stabbed my heart with guilt. 

"Too late" I muttered as an answer. "You're cruel love enchanted me already I am imprisoned and unable to let you go, Minseok. I'd die if you leave me again. Be mine, Minseok, please. Please don't torment me anymore than this." I cried. My body shook at the thought of him leaving. Sobs filled the room. I begged him as I cupped his cheeks. "I love you too much. I love you more than anything."

"But I am a demon's progeny. A curse of an existence. Surely you will forget about me"
"Impossible! You're the most angelic being that I met.You'll haunt me forevermore. I love you, Minseok. Please be mine" He sobbed as he pulled me into a hug. 

"I love you too, Luhan. I love you too much that I was unable to let you go. You're the only reason to existence. I love you. I love you" He cried as tightened his hug. His honest words pouring in. "I know I am selfish because I want you only for me. I was afraid that I will hurt you. I was afraid of your love because it was pure. I was afraid of you because I was rotten. But I still love you Luhan. Desperately I wish for you, prayed for you. Hope that you should love me too. I waited and waited, Luhan" He was wailing. Punching me softly as he cried the truth. "I love you too much that I became crazy. I hate this! I hate it! I don't recognize me any longer and it was because I love you! It was only that fact that made me cling on to a future, to a hazy future where you might be with someone else and that was what scared me the most"
"I'm sorry" I simply said. Fifteen years of his love and I can only say this word. Fifteen years of suffering yet I was left with only that sentence. I can't bring myself to say anything of comforting words because I have loved truly Sehun that time and hurt him to a certain degree that plunges him into this abyss. It was I that broke him yet I was happy because it was me. He sobbed uncontrollably at my shoulders. "I'm sorry" I repeated. Sorry that I was happy over the fact that you loved me for fifteen years and sorry for the fact that loved you only recently. "I'm sorry" I repeated. Sorry that I was naive and hurt your feelings. Sorry that I didn't notice your love. Sorry that I only founf you now. He cried and I did. It was the only music in the empty room. "It's alright now" I assured. Its alright because I'll love you till my heart stops beating. My heart ached at the amount of love that I have for Minseok. It ached because I just realized it. "I love you" I whispered as I pulled him in a kiss. A passionate and hungry kiss. It was long and breathtaking. I pulled for air and stared at his eyes "I love you that I am going insane" He kissed me. It was a sweet quick peck but I can feel my heart going wild as he smile. "Then were the same" He said. Happy like a child. It was the first time that I saw him smile that happily. I embraced him so tight that he was begging for air and we chuckled. 

 

"I love you" We both said at the same time before another kiss began.

 

-----------------------------