Chapter 2: The genius named Kim Minseok

A Game of Love at First Sight

[a/n: Sorry for the tardiness. Some technical problems happened and I was out of the laptop screen for a few days.]

 

Dressed in a casual black suit, Xiumin entered my office with a smile planted on his porcelain face along with the comfortable and observing Kyungsoo behind him. Jongin haughtily glided towards the office leaving the female employees in a trance. After the fine lunch we had three weeks ago, my cute little baozi and I have been in a much friendlier or rather intimate terms. I call him mine for I have already placed a label in him, of course without him knowing. Foolish is the man that shall defy it. I must have smirked as Jongin reflected my expression back at me with an amused air around him. He slid towards the sofa in front of my table and placed his feet on the small table. Kyungsoo vainly reproached him for his unneccesearily rude behavior before he pulled into an embrace as an successful attempt to halt his speech. Xiumin smiled at me meekly. 

The four of us are to attend to a black tie party Kris held at his mansion tonight. It was Tao who insisted on our presence. "Shall we go?" I asked. Xiumin smiled widely before he cutely nodded as an answer. I placed my arms around his shoulders which he with my desperate efforts have been accustomed to. Much to my displeasure, Jongin chuckled mockingly at my actions resulting to Xiumin's uneasiness. 

The ride towards the Wu Estate was not that memorable except for Xiumin sleeping comfortably on my shoulder and Jongin's silent mockery, the ride was quite a uneventful one. As soon as we arrived Tao greeted us excitedly. He was dressed formally that his tamed appearance has surprised us. Wu Yifan, much known to us as Kris, trudged behind him. He was irritated that much we know. Kris was the type who like silent and comfortable gathering than grandeur parties. It must have been a burdensome job in his part to organize a party. 

"You arrived" He greeted. Jongin tapped on his shoulder. I nodded. Our usual routine of acknowledgement. Tao simply smiled at the sides. At the corner of my eyes I saw Kris' father and Tao's father merrily chatting with each other. The Wu estate and the Huang estate are families not to mess in the business world furthermore they are invincible because of their long history of friendship that they are termed as "The Ultimate Alliance" in these regards both Jongin and I are an additional force. Xiumin who was still in a dazed grip my sleeves as if a baby scared of the open field.
He glanced at the worried Kyungsoo and the impassive Kai, who with our years of uninvited friendship I know spares his reassuring look to my cute baozi. "Hello,Xiumin-ssi" Tao and Kris greeted merrily. 

Tao and Kris after their meeting with Xiumin became a occasional customer of the cafe and one of Xiumin's few friends. They are, according to their own words, Xiumin's "food agent" and helps him with his habitual "flavor hunt". Xiumin lightened up with their cheerful greeting and replied with a bright smile "Good Evening, Yifannie, Tao" I raised a brow. When did they ever get this close? Kris just grinned and Tao stuck his tongue out at me. I glared at them. 

"Anything wrong, baozi?" I asked as his grip on my sleeves became tighter. He stared at me with a puppy look and asked "Is is okay for me to be here?" I patted his head but fought against the urge to mess with his hair. "Of course" I answered. He sigh dejectedly like a nervous child. "Don't worry, I'll be here" I whispered. He beamed a smile. Jongin dragged Kyungsoo inside and I guided Xiumin inside. 

The social interactions was a bother but I make sure not to lose Xiumin in my sight. He was eating at the happily at the buffet table when a man approached him. I was on my way when an expression of shock, horror, and panic replaced his cheerful and excited ones. Kyungsoo appeared immediately with an expression that is ready to gnaw at the man who appeared in front of them. It took me a much closer before I realized the opressor to be Kim Joon-myeon, a prestigious scholar and diplomat. 

"Minseok-ssi?" he addressed to Xiumin who was shaking in fear. I quickly grabbed his hand for comfort which he in returned senselessly gripped it tight. How could so much power be in such small body? Joon-myeon turned to Kyungsoo then to me. "Luhan-ssi?" He tilted his head and asked "Are you acquianted to Minseok-ssi?" I do not understand the situation but Xiumin, or Minseok, as he was called was shivering. 

"Yes. Xiumin-ssi is a very precious friend" Joon-myeon smiled. 

"I see. I shall not disturb your night then. It appears quite so that my presence causes terrible reactions to your friend, Luhanssi" He glanced at Xiumin whose gaze was on the floor then to the comforting Kyungsoo and the emotion void Jongin then at me before he stated "It is a pleasure meeting you then, Xiumin-ssi" before he left to socialize with the other guests. Xiumin heavied a breathe of relief as he was trying to calm his nerves. He stared at me meekly and gently. "Are you alright?" I asked. He smiled. 

"Yes. Just a little out of it"

"Hyung, are you really alright? I can talk to him if you want tell him not to-" Kyungsoo worriedly comforted Xiumin who cutted his words. "No need Kyungsoo, thank you. I just need some fresh air" Kyungsoo nodded and laced his hand with Jongin before they joined the other guests. I joined Xiumin in the balcony and silently stared at the starless night sky. Silence befalls on us. Awkward silence. It was Xiumin that broke that silence. "You're not going to ask?"

"Would you be alright?"

"You're kind"


"You've repeatedly told me that"

"I know. You're really kind, Lulu"

"Stop that." He chuckled gently. Another silence. This time it was I who decided to break it. "You don't need to tell. We have secrets we are afraid to share, I understand that."

"But, you're curious, aren't you"

"I'll be lying if I say no" He smiled gently at me. I feel the butterflies on my stomach sending electric signals down my spine resulting to the hot-cold sensation felt all over my body. 

"You're honest"

"That's a new compliment" The cool night breeze and his hearty chuckle seems so magical that moment. 

"It is, isn't it?" He placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled. "I guess it won't hurt to tell you with your wits I'm sure you deduced half of the story already"

"Now you're telling me, I am smart? Well, it ain't false, anyway" He stuck his tongue out at my arrogant air. "I am not sure that I have your story though. I am quite famous for being devoted to things related to business only"

"You call that a workaholic, Lulu." He planted a soft punch at me. A soft silence befalls on us again before he gathered the courage to tell me his story "My real name is Kim Minseok"

"I know" In fact I recognized him on a magazine last week. 'Kim Minseok: The man who made Einstein weep' it says. It was an international magazine that had him on the headline. Xiumin or Minseok as stated in the magazine, was a once-in-a-lifetime genius who excells in engineering, computer science, music, and arts. The man who made the invincible computer security program named 'Uncrust' and the only virus that can alter it called 'Rough Edge'. I memorized it all of course even the smallest mentions of his hobbies to cook and his seemingly undiscovered talent in physical activities. It was afterall an article about my baozi. He stared at me with a cool facade. 

"Sorry that I lied"

"Why? You're Xiumin, right? The baozi" He stared at me with disbelief.

"Your not mad that I lied at you?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"When you go out with me to eat or mail me. It's you, right? Not somebody else. Just because I don't know a few facts about you means that you betrayed me that's drama."

"You're really kind, Lulu" He smiled. 
"Of course because you are too. I only give what I get. A fair and equal trade" He chuckled and clapped his hand. He planted a kiss on my cheek and left me gaping like an idiot. It was Jongin, Kris and Tao's laughter that brought me back to earth. I was sure that my heart would popped out any moment with that kiss and that my face would release some steam. 

"You should have seen your expression, Lulu" Kris teased. I glared. These three would meet their end sooner or later. Tao was laughing uncontrollably. Jongin was crushing the rails in an attempt to hold his laughter which vainly failed. "I can't believe that I saw that priceless face" Tao added.

"Kim Minseok is truly a genius" Jongin said before another fit of laughters roared.

=======================================================================================================================

 

Once Again I apologize for the tardiness.

Yours truly, 
gyeoulbaozi