Chapter 4: His story (History)

A Game of Love at First Sight

The story is now told in Minseok's persepective and his recollections is mixed with his current state. I don't know why but I just had to state this~ 
please do enjoy and feel free to ask questions. I know the plot is quite confusing because it was something that occured to me while listening to some music playlist a few days back. 

italics are recollections
normal means the present
bold means emphasy

 

please do take note. Thank you~

 

---------

White washed ceiling that shows signs of abandonment. Cobwebs and the faint bitter smell of disinfectant. I found myself in what appears to be an abandoned medical room. My whole body was aching and my conciousness was weak. Slowly and cautiosly I opened my heavy eyes to see a clearer vision of my surroundings. The blinding amount of sunlight greeted my vision. Too blinding that I blinked a couple of times. Where am I? I murmured half-awake. I recalled the details that happened last night and a sharp pain stabbed my chest as I recalled Luhan's hurt expression. A soft grim chuckle seemed to have escape my mouth as it softly resonated inside the small room. "Pathetic" I whispered to none. I tried to move and get up but I was unabled to do so. Both of my wrist seems to have been binded by a old rope as do my legs are. They are connected into the bedpost and my efforts to free myself were rendered useless. The bed creak and I hastily closed my eyes. If my calculations serve me right in this kind of situations someone should be guarding me alertly and even the slightest sound may caught his attention. With my still intact after what seems to be a long slumber, I can conclude that my opressor has no intentions of abusing me while unconcious. I heard the door creak open and silent footsteps as someone entered the room. 

"I told you its nothing" said one male voice confident and smug. The other seemed to have scanned the room before he answered "I swear I heard something" He murmured as he left the room along with his colleague. I slowly peeked and found myself alone once again. I shuddered at the possibilities that awaits my fate. Working hard to collect all of my memories and strength, I faintly remembered the strong pungent smell of chloroform before my conciousness fades into darkness it was after I recall Luhan left the room, 30 minutes after that. Grandfather? No. The whole scheme seems so disorganized, he should have calculated I would be awake by now. Grandfather would also not resort to this lowly antics and I am left with a certain conclusion. A sudden shake on my bed forced me to open my eyes. It was caused by a strong kick made by some goons my father hired. And he was there, his smiles were dark and delighted and his eyes were maniacally evil. I shivered. It became a automatic body reaction.

"We meet again Minseok" He said before his hands took a piece of my hair and pulled my face closed to him. I could smell his hot breath in my face. His jet black eyes stared at me so gleefully and so ersely. I could not forget his eyes. It was one that haunts me since I was eight. He threw me into my bed and the bed creaked. "Take him to the operating room and place him in the way I informed you" He ordered his goons. With the corners of my sight, I saw three of his goons nodded. I smiled bitterly and hopelessly. I surrendered. This is my fate. I let them dragged as I have no strength to fight against this cursed fate. Luhan's eyes and smile haunts my mind. I drowned myself into the comforting recollections of the past to partially escaped this damned reality. 

"You should enroll in a school with dormitory" Auntie Sohyee persistently pleaded. Kyungsoo was listening intently at our conversation his large and charming eyes wordlessly pleaded me to do as 'our' mother asked so. I stared at the brown eyed lady in front of me. She was my mother or so I was informed. It was only recently that I was allowed to know of this fact. I switched my gaze to the pile of high school pamphlet in her hands. I sighed. The lady has been warm and loving to me. It was a new sensation though it was awkward and uncomfortable. I was raised with the mindset of being able to do everything alone therefore the camaraderie shared in the household was something fresh for me. Rather than the lady who I must express as mother, I was more attached to my step-brother Kyungsoo who shared half of my interest thus creating a common point between us. He seems to possess an absolute confidence in me and revered me as a model in which I cannot fully understand. He was a doting brother as I observed. It was only for his sake that I agreed to the pleas of the lady. I took the pamphlets and scanned it quickly memorizing each and every word written in it. 

"Have you already decided?" Kyungsoo asked silently. His eyes were expectant. I naturally assumed that he would enroll in the middle school section of the school I chose. Kyungsoo was three years younger. I gave him the gold and blue accentuated pamphlet. He smiled causing his lips to for that adorable heart shape. Despite my cold and sound logic, I seem to have attached my self to things that appears to be cute and beautiful and Kyungsoo was the perfect personification of those two words. The lady eyed the pamphlet and happily clapped her hands before she disappeared to the corner which seems to be her making the negotiations with my grandfather. I sighed. Grandfather was the absolute authority in my life. His words are orders that are to be absolutely followed. His orders to me were always "Excel excellence itself".

"SM high school?" Kyungsoo asked his brows knitted in confusion. "Why?"

"Arts. Science. Music" My answers were always vague. I found pleasure in causing the other to think. Kyungsoo did not mind. He was not dumb rather he was also brilliant though a little slow at times. He scanned at the contents and nodded. 

"Ah. It was because it was the school which excels best in your subject of interest" I nodded. Well done. He smiled at me warmly. I replied the same. His smile was replaced with a grim line as he heard the maid announcing the arrival of my chaffeur. Lady Sohyee animatedly reappeared and smiled at the both of us. 

"I spoke with your grandpa, he was alright with the arrangements" She chuckled. I nodded. That was enough approval for me. He eyed the maid and placed her hands in my shoulders excitedly making me wince in pain. It appears that the bruises from last night's visit were not healing yet. I mentally noted to take exta caution in my expression. Kyungsoo and Lady Sohyee eyed me worriedly as the latter hurriedly withdrew her hands. "Are you okay, Minnie?" She asked. I twitched at his endearment. I must get use to it immediately. I once again noted. I gave them both a smile of assurance. 

"I must take my leave" Kyungsoo nodded sadly and Lady Sohyee simply whispered "Uh, yeah. Take care" I left the mansion and entered the white sedan who came to fetch me only to find my other brother Joonmyeon haughtily waiting for me inside it. Unlike Kyungsoo, Joonmyeon has an intimidating aura despite his gentle and pure features. He was a year younger and was supposed to be the heir if not for my presence. I do not blame him for his defiant air for he was raised to believe that I was the incarnation of evil itself. He glared at me momentarily before we drove silently towards the Kim estate. 
 

The loud clank of the metal as it attached itself to my wrist and legs awakened me from my silent escaped. The hired men withdrew their support on my body and had me hanging on a metal bar with my the metal chains which were attached on my wrist as the only support. I shrieked at the recoil of force that was placed on my shoulder blades, it came from the heavy weights on my feet that were also attached with the same material that binds my wrist. The cold metal against my skin were very familiar that I laughed at the grim realization of what happens next. I could feel the heat rushing through every part of my body as a reaction of the heavy burden placed on it. It was its futile attempt to fight the situation. Sweat came out in large beads that flow directly to the floor. The hot and cold sensation running internally in my body took all of my strength away. It was the heavy footsteps of hard sole against the quiet hallways of the abandoned hospital that brings me more into an urgent need to escape reality. "Look at you! Ha!" The voice of the man who is my father echoed loudly in the small operating room. The blinking white lights were placed to face my body. He chuckled in a fervid diabolical manner that it sent another wave of electricity down my spine. On his hands was a long and very nostalgic brown bullwhip. He laughed as he wordlessly applied its function towards my body. The pain and the leaaving stain was undescribable but still tolerable for me. With the lack of my reaction, he continuously lashes the bullwhip into me. I fought the urge to scream as it would only excite him more. I was the child of the devil so my cries would bring luck to their family he reasoned before. I heard my clothes rip at the force he was whipping me. Escape. I muttered beneath my breath. Escape. I shouted inside my mind. The flashbacks entered me. 

"Hello! My name is Luhan" A doe eyed chinese boy announced, his voice was comforting and confident. I stared at him mesmerized. He was beautiful. He was offered a seat next to my confederate Byun Baekhyun. He was popular. As soon as the teacher went out the room, girls stormed towards his table asking him questions which was soon cleared by the class idol, Jongin. I was observing it all which seems to have been rare of me as Baekhyun tapped a questioning finger in my shoulders. "Interested?"He asked. I glanced at the transferee. "Slightly" I answered. It was not of me to answer with a lie. "Hey! Chanyeolie!" He called the gentle giant who attentively switched his head towards our direction. 

"What?" He demanded as he approached us. The loud voice Chanyeol answered earned a hard smack from Baekhyun. "Lower your voice, idiot!" Chanyeol rubbed the sore spot and glared at the perpetrator. "That's not how you treat somebody when you are asking for help" Chanyeol whined only earning a threatening glare which seems to work at him. I sighed at the silly antics of my only confederates. Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol are both my cousins who unlike others take interest in my matters and well-being. Baekhyun was the son of Lady Sohyee's sister and the only heir to large conglomerate while Chanyeol is my grandmother's youngest brother's son and a very important heir of the Park family whose political dominance has been proven time and time again whose head is a precious friend of my grandfather. Chanyeol is basically my uncle but he dreaded that fact because he was younger and forced me to call him a cousin. It was I that introduced them to each other and they easily hit it off much to my comforts. "Earth to Minseok!" Chanyeol called earning an elbow from Baekhyun "Your manners!". 

"Earth to Minseok-hyung! Happy now?" Chanyeol stuck his tongue out. "You need to find out about the transfer student? It's rare for you to take interest to someone though" Chanyeol commented. I stared at Baekhyun with a puzzled look. "What? You said you were slightly interested. Knowing you, I know bare facts would satisfy your curiousity" He explained. Chanyeol grinned as he added "Or fuel it more" I eyed the transferee who was well-communicating with the female population and to Jongin who seem to have taken a liking to him too. A mutual interest. I noted. For some reason, I want to know more about him too. His head whipped towards our direction and for some reasons unknown I quickly withdrew my gaze and placed it towards the ground.

 

"What are you smiling to your self, you demon?" My father's enraged voiced boomed out towards the four corners and brought me back again to the painful reality. The large bead of sweat seems to have increased as I am practically drenched with it. "You are no son of mine! You are a menace who  stole what is to be for Joonmyeon!" Illogical. The word crossed me. I am in helpless situation but I amused myself with the comfort of half-crazy ideas that was running wild in my dysfunctional brain. The whipped hit me again. Blood trickled down as it open a wound in my body. I winced controlling my voice. He laugh as a sound of pain escaped my lips. His whipping was to no cease. "You have developed a resistance against me, ey?" He was furious. He ordered for the two other men to whip me and the nonstop whippings brought me to another delirious memories. 

I held the paper which contained the background of Luhan-ssi. I sighed. They gone too far. I am walking towards the middle school section to meet with Kyungsoo. It became habitual of us to do so. I would help him with his studies and he would help me kill time. It was friday and it means that I have to return and report back home. He dreaded that fact. I found Kyunsoo on the Library compound, which was shared by both middle school and high school section. He was chatting happily with another man which appears to be his classmate and my roommate, Sehun. They both brightened up at my arrival. 

"Hyung" Sehun acknowledged with a smile. I smiled at him. He was a silent and wise young lad though often misunderstood as cold and indifferent which was very opposite to his warm and cute personality. Kyungsoo eyed at me blankly or so it appears to other but the spark of excitement was easily detectable for me. They were studying economical politics, human psychology, theoritical physics and taxonomy, subjects which are usually advance for other schools but was the norm here. They were having different opinions and conclusion on politics and psychology ending in a much heated debate in low and whispered voices which awed the students that were able to hear them. Their passionate exchange of ideas were directed to me for counseling and assessment and I was glad to be able to enlighten them with anything. It was the arrival of Baekhyun and Chanyeol that put an end towards our discussion. Kyungsoo glared at his older cousin who cowered in return. Chanyeol softly chuckled. I simply sigh. 

"Still tutoring this brats, Minseok?" Baekhyun addressed to me earning a stomp on his foot courtesy of Kyungsoo resulting to his sudden scream of pain which leads to a synchronized 'ssshhh' of the people inside the library and the librarian. "Shouldn't you be preparing for the presentation of your thesis for advance credits?" I stared at him boredly. He sighed knowingly. "So you finished it?" 

"It is elementary. The system which mathematics revolved and the logical conclusions you can derived from scientific facts are way too obvious. It is only in need of little work and organizing." I answered in a deadpanned voice. A soft applaud took our attention as it came from the chinese transferee. His fixated eyes bring much lurching in my stomach and delivered static impulses on my body. Blood rushed towards my face and I could feel my ears heating. 

"You said math and science are simple? It does not disprove the fact that half or more of the student population failed the said subjects" I cowered at his intimidating stance. Kyungsoo glared at him. "It would be disrespectful towards the others effort as they put every passion and hardwork in those elementary subject" At his reproach I felt my self sinking into the ground and his scrutiny brought shame to me. An unusual event of the prideful and logical me. It was not hard to refute his claim nor was it impossible to turn the table in my favor but I didn't dared so. His features brought and unexplainable wave of feelings in me that I cannot possible comprehend. As soon as the librarian called my name I left the room with Kyungsoo who accompanied me till the school gates wordlessly while I was pondering over what was happening to me. 

"It is love, young master" The old chaffeur whose presence I became acquianted answered my inquiries as to the seemingly symptoms that caused great turmoil in me.

"Surely it is not" The old chaffeur simply smiled at me. I shrugged the thoughts as we entered the humongous gates. My father answered the intercom welcoming my arrival. 

The sound of recorded zither playing soft notes echoed momentarily before a loud beep ended it. My father's enchantment to european culture can be easily proven by his ringtone. It seems to have saved me temporarily as he ordered the other me to halt the whipping. I was now covered in blood and sweat. My eyes barely able to see anything due to the flowing blood. My father answered the phone with a cheerful voice, a voice reserved for his family. "Yes. Yes. I am away on a business trip on a moment. What? Wait a moment" He snapped his fingers signalling his men to do something which I dare not assume to be something good. The loud bang on the door can only mean my father left the room. Hesitation surrounded the room before a heavy force landed on my stomach. The splatter of blood coming from my mouth followed suit. The beatings from human fist ensued as I surrendered myself to the unevitable. The coming of death. I laughed with all that I got surrending all hopes I have left to the barren nothingness. 

"I love you, Kim Minseok" Luhan's voice echoed as another hope was born from the dying many. I chuckled darkly. "You're cruel, Luhan. Too cruel" Despite the obvious ending I was still clinging to the only hope I have even though I know it is impossible. It was I who pushed him away. It was I who was afraid. Afraid of his love. Afraid of his kindness. But it was I who love him greedily, selfishly. I know he was right that I should have not crossed his path again that I should have not agreed with Jongin's plan. But I love him too much to ignore such opportunity. I laughed hysterically. Idiotic. Illogical. Inconceivable. Rotten. I was not fit for his pure love, I was too tainted. I know deep inside that my father was right. I was not his son I was the son of the devil. That I shouldn't have existed. I am pathetic. I close my eyes as I felt the last of my strength. 

Never in my life did I regret my actions despite the recoil of bad things and the haunting curse of my existence, I was not one who dwell on matters for too long cause I have always known where my fate would lead me. Death at my father's hands. It was something the solemn subconciousness of a young teenage drew in conclusion. I had no qualms against it. Reason was that, he was the one who brought me to earth and thus he has the right to take me off it. Logical. Yes. But too depressing. I was always robotic until I realized the heart wrenching feeling called love and I was wasted to know what to do. My only confidence was the naive Kyungsoo who has unaware of the object of my enamorment and have forgotten the existence of Luhan. Baekhyun and Chanyeol knew not because I confided in them but because they were them. Nothing goes under their scrutiny. Baekhyun took a stance and ordered me to drop the research that would have me advance 2 years thus speeding my schooling and my enrollment to the prestigious school in Harvard before Beijing University for masterals. "Drop it" Chanyeol choked on his soda at the words that came out of Baekhyun's mouth. 

"You're insane" Chanyeol cringed. Despite his dorky manner of carrying himself, Chanyeol was the more logical and sensible of the two. 

"What?" Baekhyun snapped back. I shook my head dejectedly at him. "I have already finished and submitted all documents needed and what is left is to attend the conference."He dishiveled his hair in frustration. "How can both of you be so smart when you're both just stupid!" He huffed. Chanyeol and I exchanged glances. This was the last semester that I will stay as a first year. Next semester as per the school tradition I would be a third year student. I glanced at the empty classroom. The blackboard drawn me into a waved of thoughts. It was the first that I hesitated. Tomorrow was the conference and I would just need approval which is obviously earned. I walked towards the window pane which shows the view of the courtyard. The school was now empty except for a few students who were like me vying for the third year empty position. The chilling wind took my attention and my gaze was directed towards a familiar figure. Luhan was standing there waiting for someone. My gaze was fixed on him. I was unable to draw it back. Enchanted. It was the right word. The panting figure of Sehun entered my vision. Luhan perked up. A dark hazy sensation devoured me but it was in vain. I heard they became especially close since they met in the library a month ago from Sehun himself. My heart deflated as soon as I saw Luhan took a hold of Sehun's hand and walked sweetly. Baekhyun entered the room and merrily greeted me as if he achieved something great. His eyes trailed at where I was looking at moments ago. A tear escaped my eyes. He was shocked. I was too. He pulled me in a hug. Chanyeol entered the room. "Hyung?" he called. Baekhyun motioned outside. He deflated like a poor puppy. 

"Your decided?" CHanyeol asked. I nodded. My doubts were already erased. I must escape or I know I will break. I didn't have enough interaction and he does not know of my existence, we never talked, we never have memories together. It was only me that fell. Hard. 

The senseless beating was too much to handle. I was nearing my physical limitations. I wept. I was still pathetic. I have already his memories. His smile. His attention. His kindness. His love. Yet, I still ended here. He was the only reason I struggled at the approaching outcome. A futile struggle. I only brought him catastrophe. Pain. If not a devil, then what shall I ever call myself? 

 

The last memories I had of the room was of the orange hue buildings. I slumped on the chairs contemplating what would have happened if I was not what I am. "Only if I wasn't born" I muttered. The soft breeze and the silent sliding sound of the door I have not noticed. "There is no person who deserved not to be born. I don't know what you are going through but don't lose hope" a familiar voice sent shivers down my spine. I held his eyes. It was the second time he ever talked to me. A grim line crossed my expression. "May it be the child of the devil?" I replied. He chuckled with a carefree tone while he busy himself arranging his things to his bag. "Are you?" He threw back a question which he answered before a word came out from my mouth. "If you are then I wouldn't be standing here talking with you. Have more confidence" He was humming cordially. His warm smile that I coveted and that gentle expression was on his face. I heard Jongin's voice calling his name "Luhan! Sehun is waiting!" 
"Just a moment" He glanced at me. I stared at him for the last moment. A smile even I do not know what to make of.. It was a smile of thank you, I love you and goodbye. "You have a beautiful smile. So don't give up! Fighting!" He said lastly before he dashed out ot the door. Leaving his notebook behind. It was with an mathematic assignment. It took the whole board to have it covered by the organized answers. The space left was for a puzzle I gave to the whole class especially to a certain chinese student. It was a coded formula. taking all the mistake in the equation and translating its codes with its equivalent in the ASCII table it would give. "Thank you for giving me reason to live and believe. I love you" And the note at the bottom "To Luhan"


I chuckled at the nostalgia. Chanyeol was able to solve it easily, Baekhyun with Chanyeol's help and the teacher with much help from books. The others were gleeful for the free mathematic answers and thanked the puzzled Luhan. These event of course were retold by my teacher who I ordered to zip his mouth. My gaze have always followed the doe-deer eyed boy anywhere. He became a healing apotheosis of my wretched soul. I chuckled grimly as darkness seems to have fetched me. My vision was getting dimmer and my strength was to no more. I heard the forceful entry of someone and shouts of familiar voices. The last vision was of Luhan crying as I felt my body freed from restrained. I am already delirious. I reached for the imaginary Luhan and with the last of my strength whispered "Why are you crying? I'm sorry. I love you" It was all that I have before conciousness departed from me. 

 

 

===============

 

 

Is it too long? I just have to write explain his situation more. errr. Its like adding the facts from the previous chapter and this chapter. Forgive me if I did anything wrong.