He Became Cold

Him

He Became Cold

Two and a half years was how long we have stayed together. It wasn't exactly long, neither was it exactly short. It was still a fair amount of time spent together though. The amount of time being way passed the honeymoon period. Probably even enough for love to get cold.

We were busy – working and trying to get as high up as possible. We were at the age of fighting for our careers, doing what we want, and of course trying our best to see how far we could hit. Our goals became similar. Rather than spending much time with each other, we spent more time with work.

To be honest, it was not something bad. We were working hard for something that we want. But, thinking about it now, it was a little disappointing. Because we didn't know that our love was not as crazy as it used to be. This home has slowly lost its purpose too. It just became a place to sleep. Instead of it being a warm home for our hearts to rest, it was just a mere outlet for our body to take a charge. Less talking was done; less affection were shown, less time spent together.

It was not something to cry for. But it definitely was something to feel dishearten with. How time could make us distant, how we cared for something else more than we care for each other. It's not sad that our affections became lessened. Because we know in every relationship, there would definitely be a time where we just stopped frequent skinships. Like the couples that grow old together, we thought we could become like them too. But in actual fact, we have yet to realise - something has changed. We have changed, our love has changed and it was sad that we didn't make any effort to notice how our love has become a little bland, a little less exciting.

However, be it all the tone down affections, we still have lovely times together. The light tingly could still be felt when our hands touched and the smile that could always get going when we see each other. The only thing was that things were not as heated as it used to be. Perhaps it was because we have grown up to be a little more mature. Our thinking might have changed and that perhaps changed our love too.

It was still love though, I was certain of it. It was just the way we love has changed; the temperature of our love was not as intense as before. Unlike how we had to cling onto each other previously, we could stay out of each other’s sight for a full day and we would still be fine. Was this how love was? Did this happen to the other couples around? I didn’t know and I didn’t realise what we were facing. Maybe we were too busy with ourselves to notice, maybe we were too held up with other stuffs to apprehend. Maybe…maybe… there were too many maybes in this world. And I’d bet we could come up with more maybes to cover up excuses for our cooling love.

Sometimes I even wondered around with my thoughts. What exactly was that I need? What exactly was that I want? I wasn’t even sure myself. But there was something that I was absolutely certain about – we were both unaware with our changing love. We were both too selfish with our desires to see the person standing next to us. It wasn’t because of anything else that our love changed, it was because of us.

Although we were blind, I thought at least our hearts weren’t. Even when we couldn’t see the falling petals of the beautifully blossomed flower, our hearts felt it. And it was in everyone’s blood. Or so I thought – to push the blame to someone else. Not wanting to bear the responsibility and to feel regret after. We were always finding ways to escape from the harsh reality. And the easiest way? Pushing the blame to someone other than ourselves. It came right before we knew it, an upcoming target just fall in place. And me? – grabbing hold of the chance to make her the scapegoat, to make her the excuse of our withering love.

 


Ѽ:
I've always wanted to finish this before going into semi-hiatus but it became a little impossible for me. Even though I've already stated my current semi-hiatus status and the contest has already ended, I'll still like to complete this before my other stories. :)