He Doubted Me

Him

He Doubted Me

The glass shattering sound pierced through the air as the tension grew. It all happened too fast and before I could blink my eyes, Baekhyun was already on the floor three feet away. And beside me stood a raging Yixing whose eyes seemed to be firing laser beam at the wounded victim.

“You,” he gritted through his teeth. “Stay away from my girl.”

When I finally absorbed what happened, I let out a late gasp. The side of his lips formed a burnt red and Baekhyun used the back of his hand to wipe off the trickling blood. However, unlike the ones Yixing had, his eyes were filled with remorse. He didn’t throw a punch back, instead he simply stared down at the ground, accepting whatever that had happened.

I knew he deserved for what he had done but the look he had on him triggered sympathy from me. I realised, frowns didn’t suit Baekhyun at all. The anger in me suddenly dissipated and all I want to do was to give him a lift.

“Are you oka—” was all I could say before Yixing grabbed my extending hand and pulled me out.

This was the first time Yixing used such strength on me and it was painful. The rapid pace he set with his steps made it difficult for me to catch up. Yet, I somehow managed with the running and not falling on the wet ground.

Running outdoors, along the streets, were just the two of us and the pouring rain. The grip around my wrist tightened and this time, I shouted. “Yixing!”

However, he didn’t stop.

“Zhang Yixing!” with anger slowly forming, I took all the effort I had to release myself. He was caught in surprise as his arms flung away and I had to take a few steps back.

“What are you doing!” I quickly found back the centre of gravity.

I took my other hand to give a massage on my aching wrist which was already stained bright red. Under the heavy rain, we stood motionless at our respective spots. The fuming Yixing has now a different expression on his face and I now had the anger contained instead.

The flaming eyes Yixing had in the café were gone. It hit me a little when I witnessed how Yixing’s eyes were now replaced with gloom and despair.

“You like Baekhyun?”

“Of course no!”

I countered immediately, showing no hesitation in my words. Because it was what I feel, it was how I felt and I was being honest here. However, Yixing seemed dissatisfied with my answer though.

“Then why did you let him kiss you?” This time, it seemed as if he exploded. With anger, with sorrow, with despondency, I didn’t know. I wasn’t in the right mind to think properly anyway. But judging how he hit Baekhyun in the face, I could infer that he saw what happened earlier.

“What are you talking about? I didn’t want to! He forced himself on me! Besides, you saw that I pushed him away, didn’t you?”

“Then tell me, why did you try to help him?”

Frustration was coated all over my face and I had to force myself to stay calm. I brushed my hair backwards with the rainwater helping it to stay put, I breathed in and out hastily.

“Because it was wrong of you to hit him in the first place!”

“Then kissing a girl who already has a boyfriend was right?”

“That’s not the main point! It’s your fault for using violence, why do you have to be so unreasonable?”

“So it’s my fault now?”

For a split second, I thought I could see something gleaming in his eyes, like it was tears that were reflecting the light. Yet when I blinked my eyes, they disappeared. The sound of the rain hitting onto the ground continued, the grey coloured skies didn’t turn brighter, and there were still no signs of people on the streets. It took me a full minute to finally react to him. That question or feasibly statement sent an acute pain to all parts of me. His eyes hanged even lower this time and the frown grew longer. Devastation was written all over him.

“Yixing, you know I—”

I wanted to say something, anything to reverse what was done – to at least save something that was so precious within him, within us.

“Forget it.” Yet, the soft words that leaked out cut me harshly.

He turned his back around and started walking. Until he was out of sight, until he was gone. And I was left all alone in the pouring rain, waiting for him to come back, to spin himself around, and to take that something which was the most important. I thought he would remember how significant that thing was; how significant I was to him.

 


Ѽ:
Speeding up a bit because deadline is reaching and I'm not even halfway through the story.