He Had Enough

Him

He Had Enough

Something must have gotten into me. I didn’t know what it is. But I was sure of it. The smell that lingered around him was an unfamiliar one. Well that certainly meant that it wasn’t mine. Someone else’s – a feminine seductive smell that spelled dangerous. I couldn’t control myself, my hands just couldn’t stop. I was suspicious and they simply acted on their own. Searching high and low, his coat, his briefcase, his wallet, his phone. I acted like a desperate woman, a hateful and low-classed one. But who cares? When you were suspicious about your man, you couldn’t care less. At least, it was for my case.

“Jieun, what are you doing?” Yixing snatched his phone back. “Can you please respect my privacy?”

He took an anxious look over at his phone before putting it in his jeans pocket. “Why are you so anxious? Do you have something that I didn’t know?”

“No, I don’t.” He took a few steps forward while grabbing my arms gently. “You have been acting weirdly these days.”

A scoff came across instantly, “you’re the one who has been acting strangely.” Shrugging the hands off my shoulder, I continued. “You have been coming back late. What have you been doing?”

“I’m doing a very important project now and that concerns my big promotion. You’ve to understand, I’ve been working day and night, and I’m tired. Why do we have to quarrel every now and then over unnecessary stuffs?”

“Yeah, working day and night.” Another scoff appeared, “with Jinri?”

I was frustrated, and so was he. I could tell. His body language told everything. The way he rolled his eyes, the way he placed his arms on his hips. The way he would look up at the ceiling while letting out a soft sigh. Perhaps it was me the one at fault, for always pricking him with that said girl. But how could he blame me for it? Clearly, there was something going on between them. At the very least, I knew this girl was interested in my man. And I did not like it at all.

“For once, can we stop talking about her? How many times do I have to repeat? She is a colleague I work with in this project. We are nothing more but colleagues. That’s it. Done explaining, can we go to sleep now?”

“No. That’s not enough.” I shook my head. That did not put me at ease. Of course I knew that Yixing wouldn’t, but what could I say about that girl? I mean, in the middle of the night, two people of the opposite genders. No, this couldn’t work.

“Then what do you want?”

“Quit the job.”

“That’s impossible.”

“Then we’re breaking up.”

“What did you just say?”

“Quit the job or we are done.”

My stare was fierce and his glare was persistent. The hit up tension could not be easily removed. As much as my anger was taking over, uneasiness too filled up my heart’s content. I didn’t know what I was feeling anymore.

“You know how much I wanted this job, Jieun. You know it.” He stated firmly and I gulped down my saliva. Of course I knew. This was his dream job – becoming an audio engineer. I knew how hard he worked to become what he was today. And I knew exactly how overboard my request was. But my pride, as what of mattered; my pride held the highest priority and I couldn’t let it down. In this current moment, pride was eating me up and I was starting to fear.

“I–”

The moment felt forever as I held onto my breath. Everything slowed down in that instant, I was scared. The words he might say when he opened his mouth, the words that might break me.

“I’ve had enough. You’re too much.”

My heart stopped as soon as the moment he finished his speech. I couldn’t think. And when I realised what was going on, he has already left. Should I feel safe that he did not mention break up or should I start worrying because it was his first time not giving in to me. Once again, I didn’t know. And what’s worse was me not knowing that there were more to come.