He Said Nothing

Him

He Said Nothing

The past one month was more than suffocating. In fact, it was a miracle that I even survived the torturing silence and to be honest, I could barely get through it. Days past like that. Waking up in the morning, preparing for work, working all day long and when the long hand hit between 5 and 6, the shorter one struck 6; that dreadful feeling emerged.

Those lovely days we once had were gone. After the rain pour on that particular day, things have changed drastically. Even when we argued previously, we could patch up quickly and things would go back to how it was. So, how did we become like this? I started to wonder. Was it really true that they say love could never last forever? Could it really be that love does have an expiry date? Like the amount of air in a filled balloon. As time passed, the air within the balloon leaked, and in the end? The balloon deflates when the last gush of air slipped. Just like that, gone.

It was hard to believe. Or would I say, I didn’t want to believe. How could I believe? He made me understood what love was. He made me experience how beautiful this thing could be. It’s untouchable but yet I could feel it. Love was such an amazing thing. It was incredible. It filled all the empty spaces I had in my heart, leaving no space for negative things, giving me everything that I need. So how could I believe that this little thing that brought me up could break me down in tiny pieces? I couldn’t, I just couldn’t.

It was a Thursday evening; I got off from work slightly earlier and headed to the supermarket. It was a rare thing for me to go to the supermarket alone. But ever since the cold war started out, it was only me who did the grocery shopping. And with the intention of cooking, I hoped to lessen his anger and for us to reconcile. However, it wasn’t easy. For, it was just us eating. Despite the effort I put in to start a conversation, he would either give a one word reply or just simply a hum to brush me off like this.

I headed towards the vegetables and fruits section first. Remembering how Yixing loved seafood fried rice, I marked that as the menu for the night and went to pick out some peas and green onions for the fried rice and potatoes, carrots and corns for the soup. Afterwards, I headed to the seafood section and picked out the prawns. After a good 45 minutes at the supermarket, I brought back the ingredients with a light heart, all ready to prepare the great meal.

However, things didn’t go exactly as I thought. The meal wasn’t that great at all. Once again, the silence became the side dish and instead of eating what was cooked, I felt the silence eating me up.

“Here, drink more soup, it’s good for your body.” I quickly refilled the empty bowl and anticipated at least a word of thanks.

But, there was nothing.

I mustered the courage I had again, “How was work today?”

“Good.”

He replied, this time looking at me. And immediately, I could feel my eyes burning as I tried to control the tears. For the first time, he made an eye contact with me. Yet, I wasn’t happy at all. The look in his eyes was worse than the silent treatment. His eyes looked so cold – so cold that it sent shivers to the back of my spine. It scared me. And for some reasons, it broke me. Somewhere in my heart, I could feel something shattering and it was throbbing. I jerked my head down, trying to hide the tears and to swallow them back. It was then realization hit me and this time, experiencing it myself, I trembled hard.

Love was like honey at first. So sweet in the beginning but after some time, it becomes bland. Just like how a pot of hot water cooling down, it simply gets cooler and cooler. In the end? Gone. Like how it evaporates into thin air, merging with the particles that we can’t see with our eyes. Just like us, gone, and never coming back again.

 


Ѽ:
Hi to all my silent readers. I know you guys can be a little confused on what's going on here and so I'm gonna explain a bit. The story is written in a reversed manner. Meaning the break up in the first chap and the last chap will be when they first met. So by the time when the story is complete, it's easier to understand cos all you have to do is to read it backwards lol. This has been plotted out to be written like this. I know it sounds ridiculous but I find it more interesting to have it in this manner.

And like what I said, it's hard to finish this on time cos I have to plot every single details so I know how to write the following chapters and somehow more ideas flowed in and I have to write another chap to make the flow a little more natural. I hope you guys can understand what I'm saying here cos I'm having an extremely hard time expressing myself. Anyway, drop me a comment to let me know how you feel for the story. Thank you! :D