Chapter Four

The Black Rose

            Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/jaithep/coffee-prince-thai-in-the     


            Hongdae, as Jenny had imagined, had that laid-back feel to it, which made her feel relaxed and quite happy. She'd been in Seoul for just three and a half days and already, she felt like she'll be better in no time, not that she has a sickness or something. She just needed time away from Paris to fix whatever was left of her, to start anew. She suddenly remembered Dae Sung and how fun their conversation was the night before. She missed his company all of a sudden but, shuddered at the idea of falling in love with someone in Seoul. She did not come here to fall in love after all. She came here to find what she lost... herself. 

            Now that she thought about it, it was too soon to have these kinds of thoughts. She barely knew Dae Sung so why would she even fall in love with him? She was being silly after all. She stifled a laugh and then, she felt someone bump hard on her shoulder making the view around her swirl. Next thing she knew, she was laying on the pavement with Seung Yoon and Minzy running towards her from the distance. And a hand was reaching out to her from the side. She grabbed onto it and pulled herself up. The person who helped her was wearing a gray hoodie which was covering most of the person's face so that only the lips show. The person was saying something to her but she can't seem to figure out what it was. Just as Seung Yoon and Minzy reached her, she turned around to thank the stranger but, there was no one there. She then dismissed it as one of her hallucinations, probably because of the fall. 

            "Couz! Are you okay?" asked Seung Yoon worriedly. "Oh my gosh Jenny! You almost made me freak out! All along we thought you were behind us but when I looked behind me, you were gone! And when we found you, you were lying on the pavement! What on earth happened to you? Are you alright? You know I promised your mom I will take care of you," ranted Minzy. "I was just..." Jenny trailed off. She didn't even know what happened. "Never mind couz. Let's just go to the Hello Kitty cafe you two so wanted to go to. C'mon!" Seung Yoon held onto her arm so as to support her until her walking becomes stable. Minzy, on the other hand, found this gesture of Jenny's cousin quite heart-warming. "This guy has gentleness inside him after all," smilingly thought Minzy to herself. 

 

             When they arrived at the cafe, Minzy suddenly squealed with excitement. It was a pretty pink cafe adorned with Hello Kitty-inspired ornaments. Jenny got quite excited too and seeing that she was finally okay, Seung Yoon let go of her cousin's arm. They spent the rest of the morning chatting about Hello Kitty and what might have happened when Jenny got separated from the others. Even though Seung Yoon hated the idea of going to girly cafes like this one, he was actually having quite a good time so far. Especially knowing how noisy and excited girls can be when they are enjoying themselves and their company. He haven't done this in a while, not only because his last relationship ended a long time ago, but because he spent most of his time hanging out with Dae Sung or in managing the shop. He then realized how boring his life was compared to when he was still in college. He and Dae Sung never fail to go to parties way back then or go out with their other friends to eat out and then go to Norebangs right after. He suddenly missed that kind of life. 

             But having her cousin and her friend here with him made him feel like he was back in college. They looked so carefree and their happiness is contagious. He may not really know the reason why, all of a sudden, his cousin Jenny decided to come to Seoul and stay with them for who knows how long, but their visit somehow helped him get back to his old carefree self. He also didn't know her well enough and this will be a good time for all that 'getting-to-know-yous'. He also finds Jenny's friend, Minzy, quite charming although he doubts she knows this because she rarely looks at him or at the guys who look at her whenever she passes by. She only has her eyes focused on Jenny. Although she lost her for a few minutes earlier today, it might just be because she enjoyed the scenery too much that she kept on chatting about it with him. She immediately geared her focus towards Jenny after that and that was why they found out she was not behind them anymore. And as far as he could remember, Minzy did nothing all day yesterday but to text her bestfriend every ten minutes just to check if she's okay.

             Staring at the two of them talking animatedly, he thought he saw something in his cousin's eyes that he hadn't seen before... an underlying sadness. Minzy glanced at him with an agreeing look of worry. There is something wrong with his cousin after all.