Chapter Twenty One

The Black Rose

               Jenny, Seung Yoon, and Dae Sung decided to eat out that Friday night, a few days after Dae Sung's encounter with the man in the gray hoodie whose identity he still had no idea of. Seung Yoon was uneasy because it was the first time they went out on a Friday night without Minzy. She informed them a few days ago that she found work in a restaurant, but as to where it was, she did not say. 

               "Couz, did Minzy text you what time she's going home?" asked Seung Yoon, concern evident in his voice.

               "No couz. Why?" she naively asked him in return.

               "Nothing... I... I just thought... she... could follow us after work," said Seung Yoon, unsure of himself. 

               "Yeah... she could do that. But, where is the restaurant anyways? And did she mention the name?" asked Dae Sung without pause.

               "No, she didn't. I actually forgot to ask her all about her new work since she just reports there every afternoon and still goes to work at the bread shop in the morning. So, I didn't find it troubling for her to have two jobs. Don't worry you guys. I know my bestfriend very well. She won't do anything that will ruin her," she assured the two guys.

              Seung Yoon was still filled with worry despite hearing this. He looked at Dae Sung and saw that he was a bit worried as well but not as worried as him. He could see that his bestfriend was more focused on his cousin rather than on Minzy, and it suited him just fine. 

              As soon as their food arrived, they started eating with Dae Sung scanning the place and even the streets outside every now and then for any sign of the man in the gray hoodie, but he had no such luck.

 


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/cuutrungdai/love-u-ost-boys-over-flowers


               Seung Yoon switched on the TV and sat on the couch with cola in hand. He checked the time- thirty minutes past the hour of eleven, and still no Minzy. He was getting anxious by the minute. He finally stood up and went outside. Just as he reached the gate, a black car stopped directly in front of the house. He quickly hid behind the wall and blended into the shadows. He saw Minzy come out from the rear door and stood by the driver's window, waving and smiling as she did so. Seung Yoon tried hard to see who the driver was but to no avail.

                Minzy then opened the gate as quietly as possible just as the black car drove away. When Minzy was already a foot away from him, he emerged from the shadows and cleared his throat. Minzy turned around in surprise. "Do you know what time it is?" Seung Yoon asked sternly, arms crossed over his chest. Minzy glanced at her watch. "It's already 11:40pm," she said naively. She then continued on her way. Seung Yoon followed her hurriedly and grabbed her by the arm. He willed her to turn around and face him. "Who are you with this late?" he said, almost shouting with anger. Minzy scowled and tried to release her arm from his grip, but it was too tight. "I came from the restaurant. Where else do you think I came from?" she said, a bit confused and irritated. Seung Yoon stared at her indignantly, and then released her arm. "Go... rest now," he said as he watched her walk away.

              Somehow, he felt that Minzy wasn't exactly telling him the whole truth. And he was afraid to ask her about the person who drove her home just now. He doesn't want her to drift farther away from him so, he chose to investigate on his own. Something is not right with this setup.

 

 

              The bread shop that morning became very busy with people suddenly lining up for bread as if there was a shortage of it. Jenny served as the cashier for that day while two of the shop's staff were packing the customers' purchases beside her. Seung Yoon and Minzy, on the other hand, were both assigned to fill up the nearly empty racks with freshly-baked bread from the kitchen. As Jenny glanced at the two, she noticed that they weren't talking to each other just like what they usually do in the morning. She reminded herself that she would talk to either one of them later to know whether something was wrong. 

              Time flew by so fast that when Jenny looked at the clock to check on the time, it was already nearing noon. There were now only a few people inside the shop. Minzy hurriedly removed her apron seeing the time, and went inside the staff quarters to eat her lunch. Seung Yoon stared at her doubtfully as she walked past him, not a word nor a glance from her. Jenny saw this from the cashier area and immediately confirmed her hunch, something was wrong with her cousin and bestfriend. 

 

              Minzy came out of the staff quarters after twenty minutes. She scanned the shop for Seung Yoon and saw him talking to one of the lady staff as they were filling the empty racks with bread. She approached them to inform Seung Yoon, not to ask permission from him, that her shift was over and that she was now heading off to her second job. She then went to the cashier area to hug her friend goodbye and headed on her way. 

              Seung Yoon immediately set the tray down on the counter and removed his apron. He was about to go out the door just as Jenny caught him by the wrist. "Seung Yoon! Where do you think you're going?" she asked. He turned around and said, "I'm worried for your friend, couz. I'll explain everything later. Take care of the shop for me while I'm away, okay?" Jenny understood and let him go.