Chapter Thirty Two

The Black Rose

         The drive towards the Choi's residence became a hard one. Jenny was once again seated at the passenger seat, their car following Mr. Chung's and Ji Yong's. Jenny's crying was drowned out by the pouring rain, whose noise grew louder as she cried more. It was as if the heavens knew what was about to come, and she could not bear the idea of her heart breaking even more than it was now. She felt like dying.

 

            Dae Sung switched his car's engine off as he finally found a spot to park on. The rain was pouring hard outside, just like Jenny's tears. "We can always go back if you're not yet ready Jenny," suggested Dae Sung, looking straight ahead. Jenny suddenly stopped sobbing and lifted her head, wiping her face dry with the sleeves of her pullover. "I admit, meeting him was not part of my plan when I went here. My goal was to find my old self-the one who was free of the memories of him. But it seems like fate has its own way of helping me heal," she said calmly, the unstableness of her voice now fading. 

            There was a gentle knock on Dae Sung's window; it was Mr. Chung. He was carrying two more umbrellas, aside from the one he was using. He was motioning for them to come out and head inside the house. Seung Yoon went out first. Mr. Chung assisted him as he handed him one of the umbrellas. As soon as Seung Yoon left, Dae Sung asked Jenny one last time, "Are you sure you're ready to face him?" Jenny looked at him and nodded, "It's inevitable."

 

             The Choi's home was quite warm. As soon as Jenny saw Nana Hyun Ae, tears started to well up once again that she had to bend her head back in order to stop them from flowing. The old head maid gave her a warm comforting hug as a greeting and slowly ushered her towards her beloved young master's room. They stopped shortly by the door of Seung Hyun's room. "He's still sleeping my dear so, you don't need to be nervous. However... I think he needs to hear your voice so that he could finally wake up," said Nana Hyun Ae sadly. She then turned the knob open and prepared to leave for the kitchen, patting Jenny's back as she did so. 


Background Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McnOuGRUH9U


            Jenny could see Seung Hyun's figure lying still in bed even though the only light illuminating the room was from a lamplight. She tried to tell herself that he was just sleeping, that the others were just playing a bad joke on her; but as she got closer, she saw the extent of his sickness. It has taken a toll on him; there were dark circles around his eyes, his skin got paler, and his once healthy body had already lost its shape. This time, no matter how hard she tried, her tears started to fall. It fell continuously, just like the rain outside, unyielding. 

            "Babo...," Jenny said just as she touched Seung Hyun's cheek, bringing more tears to her now puffy eyes. "You said you loved me but why did you keep this from me? We should be facing this challenge together," she paused as the pain started to become unbearable, but then continued, "Were you scared that you might hurt me in the end? Don't you think I'd be hurt more because you pushed me away? I thought you loved me enough to entrust the rest of your life to me? I... wake up Boo Boo... Seung Hyun-ah, wake up... please. I can't live alone. I tried... but I can't. So please... please don't leave me." Jenny was being drowned by her tears that she could not utter another word. Speaking was becoming more and more difficult, more painful. Holding Seung Hyun's hand was like holding a piece of a broken glass, cutting through her. She could not even look at his face anymore.

           As soon as she found her voice, though weak, she once again tried communicating with him, "Boo Boo-ah... I want to have coffee with you again-talk about how our day went, me watching you sketch, you scowling at me because I knocked your pencil down again, and then asking me for a kiss as punishment. I want to watch you again secretly as you paint quietly inside your workroom. I want to listen to you sing again, even though I cringe everytime because of your very low voice. I want to eat ice cream with you again, with you eating three-fourths of the tub and calling it 'fair sharing'. I want to see your smile once again. I miss you mon amour. I miss everything about you. I love you so much. Until now... I still do. So please hold on a little longer."

 

           On the other side of the slightly ajar door, Dae Sung was patiently waiting. Even though he was leaning on the far wall of the corridor leading towards Seung Hyun's room, he could still hear her pain. It broke his heart to hear her cry like this yet he could not bring himself to leave. He knew she needed him, maybe not as a lover, but as a friend. Jenny needed his strength in order to win this battle. He suddenly wished his rival would wake up. Because he knew deep inside that while he could provide her strength, Seung Hyun still holds her heart and is the only one who could ease her pain.