Chapter Thirty

The Black Rose

 

             "Did you call his doctor already?" asked Nana Hyun Ae, directing the question to Mr. Chung. He looked at her sadly and nodded. She then patted his back and went back inside their young master's room to attend to him. Minzy sank down in a couch by the window, awfully dispirited. Mr. Chung sat down beside her and pressed his forehead to his intertwined hands, as if in prayer.

             "If Seung Hyun doesn't wake up tonight, I'll have to call on Jenny," she informed him.

           "You know that boss wouldn't be too happy about it. I thought you two already had an agreement?" he asked, not moving an inch.

            "Yes, I know we did Mr. Chung. But if worse comes to worst, I'll have to break that promise... while there's still time," she said, staring out the window.

            They spent several minutes in silence and stillness until one of them finally spoke up. "It's getting nearer... isn't it, Mr. Chung?" said Minzy, facing him with a sullen expression. Mr. Chung lifted his head then and looked at her with glistening sad eyes. "I guess it is," he simply said. And then, the bell sounded off. 

 

           The entire Choi household, plus Minzy, waited anxiously outside the room of their young master. The doctor was inside, checking on him. After almost an hour, he came out, and they all crowded around him. "Mr. Chung... though I wanted to talk about this with you first, I don't think I could. Seeing everyone here is eager to know how their master is faring, I think I better say it before all of you," he announced.

 

           Jenny was laying flat on her back on one of the floor beds that Seung Yoon placed inside his room for their overnight. She looked to her left and found Dae Sung still wide awake, staring up at the ceiling, unmoving. She then looked to her right and saw that her cousin was also awake. "It looks like you two can't sleep either," she spoke quietly. Dae Sung propped his head on his right hand and looked on at the two laying figures as he wondered, "Did it really happen?! I mean... we might have just been dreaming, right?!"

            "I think we could pretend it was all just a dream. And... it's still too early to sleep, not with us having one of our sleepovers," Seung Yoon said as he sat up and stretched his arms upwards.

             "I might have to agree with you couz. I just want to forget what happened earlier and just have fun!" said Jenny, smiling for the first time that evening. 

 

             The three were playing a dance game on Seung Yoon's Nintendo Wii when Jenny's phone rang. She let it go first and went on to finish the current game. She then checked who called and found that it was Minzy.

              "Guys, Minzy called," she informed them.

            "Why would she call you at this hour? Don't tell me she's waiting for us outside the house... waiting for us to let her in. I don't think so... not tonight," said Seung Yoon indignantly.

             "Don't be so mean Seung Yoon," said Dae Sung.

            Jenny's phone went off again, making her look up at the two guys with questioning eyes. Dae Sung motioned for her to answer the phone despite Seung Yoon's protests, but she did not pick it up. "I'm... I'm not yet ready Dae. I just want to have fun tonight... even just for tonight," she pleaded, turning her phone off as she did so. She then went back towards where the two were and continued where they left off.

 

           "She turned off her phone," said a disappointed Minzy. Mr. Chung paced back and forth in front of her, his head bent as if in deep thinking. "I think I better go home Mr. Chung," she informed him, but it seems like he was lost in thought. Finally, after a few more minutes of pacing back and forth, he spoke, "No. Tomorrow... in the afternoon... we shall go together, Miss. You definitely need support," he insisted. 

 

 

             The following morning, the three went to breakfast with panda eyes. Aunt Soo Jin and Uncle Dong Wook weren't surprised because they too didn't get to sleep a lot because of the noise they made that night.

           "Why were you kids playing Wii until the wee hours of the morning?! Have you forgotten that our room is just next to yours?! Huh, Seung Yoon?!" asked Aunt Soo Jin somberly, placing heaps of pancakes in front of them. 

            "I think they just had too much fun Yeobo, right kids?" asked Uncle Dong Wook quite cheerfully even though dark circles were evident under his eyes. 

             "I'm sorry Omma... it won't happen again," apologized Seung Yoon, pouring coffee into his cup.

             "Ah... don't mind your mother, son. You can have all the fun-," he broke off as Aunt Soo Jin interrupted him.

             "Why is it that you're only three? Where is Minzy?!"

             "She's... she's still sleeping Auntie. Yeah... um... haha!" answered Dae Sung, gobbling up half of his pancake right after. 

           Aunt Soo Jin did not seem to mind his answer because she just sipped her coffee and ate quietly, quickly lifting the tension that had just started to surround them. 

 

            Dae Sung invited Jenny and Seung Yoon to have afternoon tea at Mr. Kim's cafe, hoping he could somehow lighten their mood if not completely. The trip to Hongdae was filled with silence. Jenny, who was seated on the passenger seat, just stared out the window. Seung Yoon, on the other hand, had his eyes closed and looked like he was catching up on lost sleep. Dae Sung's spirit was crushed even more seeing his friends like this, and he knew that it would take some time before he could bring back the life in them.

           When they arrived, they were greeted by Mr. Kim and his assistant but only Dae Sung returned their greeting, prompting the two to look at each other questioningly. Mr. Kim motioned for his assistant to brew some tea for the trio who just arrived. He then approached their table bringing with him small cakes. "It's my treat!" he beamed, nodding at Dae Sung who seemed to be the only one paying attention to him. Dae Sung smiled in return and went on to try the cakes as Mr. Kim returned to the bar.

            "Oh, Ji Yong-ah! Nice to see you!" greeted Mr. Kim to the newly arrived customer.

            "Hello Mr. Kim! How are you doing? Long time no see...," he greeted in return.

           Upon hearing the name, Jenny snapped out of her reverie and turned her attention towards the bar. "Ji Yong...," she whispered. Dae Sung and Seung Yoon looked at her at the same time. "Ji Yong!" she called out, raising her hand as she did so. Ji Yong turned towards where the voice came from. "Oh! Bom!" he blurted out in surprise. He then excused himself and walked towards where Jenny was. Dae Sung and Seung Yoon looked at each other quizzically as Ji Yong approached them. 

            "Bom... didn't expect I'd see you here. When did you arrive?" Ji Yong asked, folding his hands together. 

         "A month or two ago... Oh, by the way... Ji Yong, this is Seung Yoon-my cousin, and Dae Sung-his bestfriend. Guys, this is Ji Yong...," she trailed off, and continued, "... Seung Hyun's bestfriend."

         Though a bit surprised, the two greeted him with a smile and motioned for him to sit down. There was a moment of silence between them before Ji Yong finally decided to break the ice. "How are you Bom? I think... I know the reason why you're here," he said cautiously.

            "I... I'm not here for him... but for myself. I didn't know he was here," she refuted, avoiding his gaze.

            "What?! You mean... you still don't know why he-," 

           "I know. Just last night... I... we saw them," she informed him sadly, hurting from holding back the pain from surfacing.

            "More like he flaunted their relationship," disagreed Dae Sung. 

            "Wait... what?!" asked Ji Yong, confusion now painted on his face.

          The three remained silent despite Ji Yong's confusion. "What relationship?! Seung Hyun has a new girlfriend?!" he asked, almost shouting but not loud enough for the other customers to hear him. "This doesn't make any sense. The last time I talked to him, he hadn't mentioned anything about a new girl," he thought out loud. 

            "When was the last time you talked to him?" asked Seung Yoon, doubting his naivety. 

            "Last week... I see to it that I talk to him or see him every week, though I didn't get to see him last week," answered Ji Yong.

           Seung Yoon's brows suddenly scrunched up as if he was trying to make out something from what Ji Yong had said. "Did you try to talk to him Bom? Because I think you might be mistaken and... wait... this is clearly a diversion. You still don't know the real reason why... don't you Bom?" asked Ji Yong, narrowing his eyes as he stared at her.

           "What are you talking about?" she asked in return, her palms suddenly starting to get sweaty.

         "Seung Hyun... He left you because... because he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. He told me when I went back to Seoul from Paris. He hid from me for several weeks, but I did not stop calling his home. I even went to their house and restaurant everyday, begging Mr. Chung to let me see him. I did not tell you because he made me promise not to. I'm sorry Bom... I'm so sorry," he explained apologetically. 

           Jenny clutched Dae Sung's arm, her nails digging in. Dae Sung looked at her in surprise, putting his hand over hers. 

           "Now everything makes sense...," whispered Seung Yoon.