Chapter Twenty Nine

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6935nBMoSY


              Her desire to see Seung Hyun, to talk to him, overpowered Seung Yoon's warning. Though Jenny wanted so much to run to him, to see him up close, she had lost the will. Seung Yoon was gripping her arm hard, and her knees were starting to shake.

               "Seung Hyun! Seung Hyun-ah... Boo Boo... Look at me... please...," she called out once more, pleading, as more of the painful tears ran down her eyes.

             Seung Hyun froze in place and slowly turned his head around. "Bom...," he whispered. Minzy looked at him, and then glanced at her bestfriend worriedly. Jenny cried more upon seeing that it was him, it was really him. Seung Hyun looked at Minzy, then back at Jenny, his eyes growing wide in confusion. Jenny moved one step forward, with Seung Yoon still clutching her arm. She moved another step closer, and that was when Seung Hyun grabbed a hold of Minzy's hand. Jenny stopped, her eyes growing wide. "Seung Hyun...," she called out in confusion.

                Seung Yoon lost hold of his cousin's arm, his own knees starting to give in as well. Jenny tried to take one more step forward, almost stumbling as she did so. Seung Hyun tightened his grip on Minzy's hand, all the while trying to force Jenny to stop moving forward, but she was stubborn. She slowly walked her way towards them, and that was when Seung Hyun did the unexpected. He moved his face closer to Minzy's, as if he was about to kiss her. Seeing this, Dae Sung immediately ran towards Jenny. He reached for her wrist, turned her around, and hugged her. Everything that came after that was a blur. One moment he saw his bestfriend pushing Seung Hyun away from Minzy, the next moment he was beside them, with the other two already gone. "They ran, even before I could...," Seung Yoon trailed off. "Couz... I'm sorry...," he whispered to her.

                Jenny's tears suddenly stopped from falling the moment she saw what Seung Hyun had attempted to do. Then her heart went numb as Dae Sung hugged her. And now, she couldn't seem to understand what Seung Yoon was saying. She was in a daze. Sensing this, Dae Sung slowly loosened his arms as he looked at her face. She looked up at him, wide-eyed. "Jenny... it's okay to cry. Just don't be like this," he pleaded, his voice filled with concern. And, as if on cue, Jenny's tears started to fall- slowly at first, then all at once. The pain hit her all of a sudden, the thorns pricking at her heart. She held on to Dae Sung as she stopped herself from screaming.

              They stayed like that for almost a quarter of an hour- Dae Sung hugging Jenny tightly; Jenny holding onto him like glue; and Seung Yoon looking down, his own heartache weighing down on him.


Background Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8k0H7Bze_E


               It was a good thing that nobody was home yet when they arrived. Seung Yoon immediately went for a shower while Jenny just settled with washing her face clean of tears. Dae Sung, on the other hand, went home to grab some pajamas. 

                Jenny stared at her face in the mirror, finally shaking off her daze. She felt like she was dreaming. She smiled as she realized that the man in her dreams, the man in the gray hoodie, indeed had all the answers to her questions. But what kept on bothering her was how she could have come up with such a guy when, in fact, she hadn't seen Seung Hyun wear it before nor anybody else for that matter. She just assumed the guy existed because of the black rose in her dream- the painting in Mr. Kim's cafe that she bought and seeing Seung Hyun instead when she came back for the man in the gray hoodie; she never thought she'd be right all along. But remembering what she saw earlier had erased all her joy in seeing him, and was replaced by pain. She closed her eyes so as to stop herself from crying once more.

 

              "What was that all about?!" shouted Minzy as soon as they burst inside the Choi's restaurant. No one spoke on their way back leaving Minzy with no choice but to suppress her anger. "You got us into more trouble with what you did!" she continued, shouting louder this time. Seung Hyun sat behind a table and rested his head on his hands. "I got confused... and shocked. You told me they weren't home yet. I... I wasn't expecting she'd see me in my gray hoodie anytime soon. I'm... I'm sorry Minzy... this is getting out of hand," he said sadly. 

               "They say no one can hide the truth. Sooner or later, it will come out... be revealed. Why keep on weaving lies when we can always tell the truth?" pondered Minzy as she sat in front of him.

                "And what? Hurt her more? I can't bear to see her in pain," he said, looking straight into her eyes.

               "Really?! Do you think what you did earlier did not hurt her? You hurt her even more Seung Hyun!" she shouted, though not as loud as before.

                "I told you... I was confused and shocked! And her cousin was there!" he shouted back.

                "So apparently... without thinking, you just tried to kiss me because Seung Yoon was there?! We could've just run away."

                "I know... it's just that, I saw it as an opportunity to-"

              "To what?! Strengthen a lie we made him believe was true?! We should stop this right now! I'm going back... they need to know the truth," she informed him indignantly and stood up as she did so.

               Seung Hyun stood up as well and blocked her way, stopping her before she could even go out. "Please Minzy... I am not ready yet," he pleaded, holding both her arms. Minzy looked up and started to feel sorry for him. "Seung Hyun, we need to tell Jenny while there's still time. Yes... she may get hurt, but not as much as you think she would. She's a strong woman and I know, she could accept this more than anyone else. She loves you so much and I know you do too," said Minzy sadly. She hugged him to reassure him that everything's going to be alright when he suddenly felt heavier in her arms. "Seung Hyun... Seung Hyun... Seung Hyun! Mr. Chung!" called out Minzy. Seung Hyun had collapsed, his body had started to give up on him.