Chapter Fourteen

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/c-h-c-mi-u/itsumo-nando-demo-music-box


                Seung Hyun walked straight to his favorite spot, behind a tree which was located across from Jenny's house, and hid himself there. He had been walking her home without her knowing ever since she started staying at the cafe alone up until late at night. He wanted to make sure she goes home safely. As soon as he sees Jenny close the gate, he starts to walk on his way back home. 

 

              During the weeks that followed after their first official meeting, Seung Hyun barely saw Jenny at the cafe. Still, he never failed to wait for her at the same table he now marked as their own. Every afternoon, he would visit the cafe and see if their table is empty. If another person was occupying the seat, he would patiently wait for it to be emptied in another table. And as soon as the sky outside starts to get dark, he knew it was time for Jenny to come out of work. He would then watch the people passing by outside. Most of the time, he would see Jenny pass by without stopping. But, whenever Jenny would stop by the cafe, he would quickly straighten up and pretend to be busy sketching people. 

 

              Jenny would always find him at the same spot, doing the same thing, everytime she pays the cafe a visit. This makes her wonder if he ever leaves the place. And as soon as she finishes placing her order, she would casually walk to his table and knock his pencil aside which annoys him everytime. Jenny would then smile like a kid who had successfully pulled a prank on her playmate. They got to know more about each other like this, like childhood friends, bonding over coffee.

               As she got to know him more and more, she started to see him in a different light. They may not always see each other nor talk to each other on the phone, but on the very few occasions that they see each other, she had felt his genuineness as a person. He was true to himself and that was what slowly made her fall for him. Even though it was like this, she never hoped that he would have feelings for her too. She clearly saw it in his actions, she was just a friend. He never walked her home nor asked for her phone number, which was a bit odd. He never asked her to go out somewhere other than the cafe. They see each other rarely because she would only go there whenever she had a lot of paperworks to do and when she visits during the weekends with Minzy, he was nowhere to be found. Minzy had been very anxious to meet him, but the only time she could visit the cafe was during the weekends.

             She knows only a few things about him- his name, his birthday, his business, his hobbies, his favorite coffee, and that he has no girlfriend. At least, the last part made her rejoice. 


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/twinklenight/taru


            Seung Hyun's birthday was fast approaching and she was planning on giving him a little surprise. It was good that his birthday fell on a weekday because there's a high possibility that she would see him at the cafe. She was thinking of what gift to buy him and the more she thought about it, the harder it became knowing that she knew barely of the person. At first, she thought about giving him a sketchbook and a set of pencils but then realized that he might have a lot of those already considering that he is an artist, a painter to be specific, who loves to doodle and sketch during his free times. She tried hard to think of the things that he possibly might not have and remembered not seeing any watch on him. She had finally decided what she would get him.

 

             Jenny came out of work earlier than usual and went straight to the cafe excitedly bringing with her a box of cake along with her gift. She was hoping to see him sketching yet again on their table, but an unfamiliar person was seated there. She scanned the place, searching for a familiar face, but she had no luck. Just then, a waiter approached her, "Excuse me... Miss Bom?" Jenny, though surprised that he knew her Korean name, nodded at him. "Mr. Seung Hyun left this for you earlier today," he said as he handed her a small white envelope with her name written on it. "Thank you," she said. She went outside the cafe, found an empty seat, and opened it. As soon as she finished reading, she looked at the majestic landmark up ahead, the Eiffel Tower.

 

              As soon as Jenny reached the Eiffel Tower, she scanned the crowd for Seung Hyun. Clearly, the note said, 'Meet me at Champ de Mars, by the Eiffel Tower.' Or was she supposed to meet him around Champ de Mars and not at the Eiffel Tower itself. Just then, someone tapped her shoulder. She turned around and saw a smiling Seung Hyun holding two tickets in his hands. "Have you ever been at the top of this tower?" he asked. Jenny had explored the tower twice already. Her first visit was with her family, when they first arrived here in Paris. The second one was ten years ago with Minzy, when her family decided to finally settle down in Paris. But, this would be the first time she'll tour the tower with a guy whom she knows so little of. "I have... twice already," she said. Seung Hyun's smile suddenly faded, "Oh, I didn't know. Would you rather go somewhere else then?" Jenny smiled at this. She loved to , to see his happy and relaxed mood crushed in disappointment or annoyance. "You have failed to ask me how long I've been staying here in Paris, and so was I to you," she smiled. "Well then, how long have you been staying here?" he asked. "Fourteen years. We moved here when I was seven," she answered. "Fou... Fourteen years?!" Seung Hyun said in disbelief. Jenny laughed at his reaction. "How about you?" she asked in between chuckles. "More than a year," he simply said. "What brings you here then?" she asked curiously, shifting the box of cake from one hand to the other. "Paris has always been a city of art for me. I have always wanted to come here. This is going to be my first time exploring the Eiffel Tower," he smiled. He then noticed the box that Jenny was carrying. "What is that?" he asked curiously. "Why don't we go up now? We could have wine at the top," she exclaimed in delight, pushing him forward. "Don't you want me to carry that...," he trailed off.

 

             Seung Hyun was already up a few steps when he noticed that Jenny wasn't following him. Jenny didn't expect that they would be using the stairs. When she went here before, they used the lifts to go up. "Are we really going to use the stairs? We could use the lift you know," she said with a hint of uneasiness. Seung Hyun smiled at this and walked back to her. He then grabbed her free hand and pulled her forward. She tried with all her might to release herself from his grip but he was stronger. He paused before the stairs and turned around, "It will be fun. Trust me," he said reassuringly, holding her hand tighter but more gentle this time. 

              They went up the stairs together, taking in the breathtaking view of Paris. Jenny was scared at first and tried to keep her focus on Seung Hyun's back. She wanted to be at the second floor already because she felt like she was slowly being tortured. She even closed her eyes when they rode the lift before. And now, she's doing this, all because of this guy in front of her. But then, she caught a glimpse of the panoramic view and slowly let loose. "It's beautiful," she sighed. Seung Hyun turned around and smiled at what he saw, she was finally looking out into the view below them. They continued on their way up to the second floor where they would be taking the lift to the top of the tower. They chatted along the way, forgetting that their hands were still clasped together. They didn't let go, not even once. It's as if their hands fit perfectly together.

 

             At the top, Seung Hyun let go of Jenny's hand and went for the telescopes. Jenny stopped for a while and breathed deeply, then walked up to him. He was already busy looking through a telescope when she found him. She went to stand behind him, careful not to get near the edge. She opened the top of the box she was holding, placed a candle and lit it up, and then cleared . At this, Seung Hyun turned around just as she said, "Happy Birthday!" Seung Hyun took a peek at the box and found a cake inside it. "Make a wish!" Jenny said excitedly. Seung Hyun closed his eyes. Jenny stared at him, wondering what he was wishing for. After a minute, he opened them slowly and blew at the candle. He then lifted his head and looked straight at Jenny. Her eyes grew wide in shock, realizing how close his face was to hers. "Thank you Bom," he said and then pulled his face away. "You know, this is quite an experience! I didn't imagine that I would one day be blowing a birthday candle atop the Eiffel Tower. This is so surreal!" he exclaimed. Jenny redeemed herself and responded, "We should get a champagne then and have a toast!" she said a little too cheerfully. "This is mine already so, I'm going to take it," he said as he took the box from her and closed its cover. They each got themselves a glass of white champagne and watched as the Paris lights go on, one by one.