Chapter Thirty Five

The Black Rose

          Seung Hyun closed the door of his room as quietly as he could. Jenny and him were recalling memories of their time together in Paris. And without him knowing, Jenny had already fallen asleep beside him, her head resting on his shoulder. His stomach growled in hunger, not having eaten anything for the past twenty-four hours. This is where he was heading now, the kitchen, to ease his hunger.

 

        Dae Sung went into the kitchen for a glass of water. He had been waiting for Jenny to come out of Seung Hyun's room for more than an hour now. It was already nearing midnight and he was worried about her not having enough sleep. Just then, he heard someone walk into the kitchen. He turned around expecting Jenny, but was disappointed to find Seung Hyun there instead. 

        Seung Hyun nodded to Dae Sung silently in greeting. He then nodded in return and started walking off the kitchen when Seung Hyun called out to him. "Dae Sung... could we talk?" asked Seung Hyun quite calmly.

 

          The two gentlemen were seated by the kitchen island, both waiting as to who will be the one to start the conversation. "I'm sorry that I have to leave you a task which was supposed to be mine in the first place," spoke Seung Hyun first. Dae Sung looked up, surprised, and responded confusedly, "What... task?"

          "Being by Bom's side... a promise I could no longer fulfill. Honestly, I don't want to give her away. Bom's mine, and mine alone. Yet, no matter how many times I say this to myself, I know I can't leave her without someone to support her," Seung Hyun paused and sighed. Dae Sung looked at him with pity and renewed respect. Here was a man who was about to die and yet, all he ever thought about was the welfare of the person whom he's going to be leaving behind. Seung Hyun then continued, "I am actually happy when I first saw you two together. I thought that she had already moved on. I was relieved to know that it will now be easier for me to leave this world. I don't have to worry about her anymore."

         Dae Sung was about to interrupt Seung Hyun but then decided otherwise. He had so many questions he wanted to ask him and yet he could not bring himself to. He was at a loss for words. "I am willing to let her go, but only for you. So please, don't give up on her. And take care of her just like I would," said Seung Hyun finally, interrupting his thoughts.

          "Thank you. You don't know anything about me and yet, you trusted me. I think... I think it would have been better if we had met earlier," said Dae Sung, smiling shyly as he did so.

 

 

           Jenny opened her eyes and was surprised to find herself in an unfamiliar bed. She then quickly sat up and realized that she had fallen asleep in Seung Hyun's room. She looked around and found Seung Hyun sleeping on an armchair by the window. The sky outside was beginning to lighten up. She tiptoed across the room towards where Seung Hyun was and kissed him on the forehead. She then fixed the blanket spread over him and walked quietly towards the kitchen. 

         On her way to the kitchen, she passed by the guest room. She slowed down, seeing that the door was ajar. She peeked inside and saw Dae Sung sleeping soundlessly by the bed. "I thought you had already left," she whispered to herself. She then entered the room and walked quietly towards the bed. Seeing him up close, she finally saw how everything that has happened had taken its toll on him. There were shadows under his eyes now and he looked worried even in his sleep. "I'm sorry Dae. I'm sorry that you got dragged into this. I hope you don't worry about me too much and just live your life the way you did before you met me. Don't worry. When all this is over, you're going to have your life back again, as if you never knew me," she said as she turned around to leave. 

         "But what can I do? You're now a part of my life," said Dae Sung as he slowly opened his eyes. Jenny turned around and blushed, seeing that Dae Sung had heard her after all. He sat up and continued, "I am already living my life as it is. Nobody told me to meddle with your life. I chose to stay with you so, you don't really have to be sorry. Once your fate gets involved with somebody else's, they become one and the same. I guess we both needed to be in this situation to learn something valuable. Our meeting was never a chance, it was destined. Just like you and Seung Hyun."

           Jenny started to get teary-eyed but turned her head back so as not to let the tears fall. With this, she started to laugh and Dae Sung followed suit.