The Need For Love

Trapped In A Forever

A balled sheet of paper flies across the room and lands on your desk, startling you.  You look up to see Eun Ah nodding at you.

                “Where’s Tao?” she mouths silently. 

                You twist your head carefully to look at the seat behind you.

Empty.

You tilt your head in wonder and quickly turn back to the front.  It isn’t like him to miss school, even on his most moody days.  So why today?

You glance at Yoon Hee, sitting beside you and working quietly from her textbook.  Did she not notice his absence either?

You shrug impassively at Eun Ah and she resumes her attention to her pens and notebook.  Picking up your book again, you attempt to return to your studying, but can’t shake the thought of Tao out of your head.  He must be up to something if he’s out without telling you, most likely something unruly after the visit with his newfound, lovely sister.

Your heart sinks at the thought of Tao’s discouragement.  If only you could do something to help him.  But then again, it was partially your fault that he met up with disappointment.  So what should you do?

You glimpse at Yoon Hee again, the feeling of guilt rising in your chest.

You haven’t told her directly yet, about Tao.  You haven’t said anything about liking him, or kissing him, or spending nearly every afternoon in his apartment. 

But you’ve told her about opening the box, and finding the certificates, and then his sister—because you trust her more than anyone.  And you want to trust that she’s gotten the message.  You have as many feelings for Tao as she does, hopefully more. 

These feelings are so much more than a teenage, high school drama. 

You love Tao more than you thought you could.

You’re interrupted again when you feel a slight nudge against your arm.  Your closest friend, Yoon Hee, is asking for your attention.  Though she doesn’t steer her eyes from her book, there’s an uneasiness in the way her fingers are gripping her pen.

Is this your chance?  Should you tell her now?  Let it out now and get it over with.  Yoon Hee will understand.

She slides you a folded leaf of notebook paper. 

But what if she doesn’t understand?  What will be of your friendship then? 

You unfold it slowly, smoothing out every crease.  Is this it?  Tell her, or not?  Jeopardize your friendship, or lose Tao? 

It’s not easy to choose between two people you treasure so much.

But, it is easy to recognize her perfect printing.  Every as meticulous as her personality.  Flawlessly dependable.

You read it quickly, and suddenly find it difficult to process her writing. So you read it again.  And again, not believing your eyes.

You bite your tongue, nearly gasping in surprise.  You can’t decide between jumping for joy and disrupting the tranquility of the study hall, or throwing your arms around Yoon Hee and crying and thanking her.

So you do both.

 

Tao.  Go to him.  He needs you.