A Confession

Trapped In A Forever

The music room is quiet save for the gentle patter of the rain outside the open window.  It’s early in the day but the sky is muggy with an ominous gray.  Your only company is yourself.  Your legs are tucked under you as a piano arrangement nestles by your side.  In your hand, is the photo of Tao.  The image radiates an aura of familiarity and dignity that you didn’t notice before, and you’ve been mesmerized by it all morning.

                “Why doesn’t he smile for once?” you mumble to yourself.

                “Why doesn’t who smile?”

                You nearly let out a shriek until you recognize Yoon Hee’s voice. 

“Oh, it’s just you.”

                She sinks down to sit beside you with a sigh.  “Yeah, it’s just me.  Were you hoping for someone else?”

                You reach for your music book.  “No, I was just startled.”

                Yoon Hee sighs.  “I knew I’d find you in here.  What have you been doing all morning anyway?  And what’s that?”

                You quickly slip the photograph into the book and place it on your lap.  “What?”

                “The picture.”

                You scratch your temple slowly.  “Oh…it’s…it’s a picture I found.  Of Tao.  I think he dropped it so I’ve been meaning to find him to return it.  That’s all.”

                A small smile begins to spread across her face.  “Tao?”  There’s a spark in her eyes you can’t mistake.  “Tao,” she repeats.

                “What about Tao?”

                She huffs but doesn’t finish her sentence.  “We’re best friends, right?  You and I?”

                You’re wary but you nod anyway.  “You and me.”

                “Because you were the first person I looked up to after I came to the academy,” she continues, “I feel like I can trust you.”

                “Okay,” you say.  “Thank you?”

                “And that means we can talk to each other about things, right?”

                “Anything.”

                “Okay.  Then.  Can I tell you something now?”

                You grip her hand reassuringly.  “Is someone bothering you? A stalker?  Or is it a family issue?  Even if it’s life threatening, you can tell me.  I’ll help you.”

                Yoon Hee squeezes your hand.  “You don’t have to risk your life for me.  In this case.  But you’ll still help me, won’t you?”

                “I’ll help you.  Just tell me what it is.”

                She bites her lips and closes her eyes.  “What do I have to do to get Tao to like me?”

                Your mouth falls open as your heart sinks and you let go of her hand unconsciously. 

                “I mean, I just want to get closer to him, you know?  When I’m around he looks away like he’s scared of me or something.  Since I’ve seen you two talking a few times, I thought maybe you would know what kind of girl he likes.  But it’s not like I’m sure he’ll like me, or if he wants to date me, or if—”

                “You…like Tao?”

                Yoon Hee grins excitedly.  “Yes.”

                               

                It’s a strange thing, what words can do to you.  You can wake up one morning with a headache, a backache, and a toothache and have your whole day turn around when someone tell you that your hair is pretty.  Or, you can wake up and find that you’ve won $10,000 a month for a lifetime, only to receive news that you’ve been exiled to an uncharted island.  Either way, a few words can change almost everything.

                As you’re walking to the bus stop that afternoon, your mind is buzzing in two different directions.  One, you can’t believe that Yoon Hee would choose this time to tell you something so personal.  Two, you’re guilt-ridden for feeling almost possessive when she mentioned Tao. 

                But why would you feel this way?  Tao…you’re only manipulating him, aren’t you?  If he was on your side, your grandfather wouldn’t ever have to bother about the blind dates again.  But, it’s so much more than just wrong, and you know it. 

                You snap out of your thoughts when you notice there’s a second shadow coming up slowly behind you.  You’re not alarmed in the least.

                “You’re lucky I don’t know martial arts like you do,” you say, “or you would be splat on the sidewalk by now.”

                He struts a few steps until his shoulder brushes with yours.  His voice is temptingly husky as he leans down to whisper into your ear.

“It’s nice to see you, too.”