Melinda | Shattered

Shadow Oneshot Cafe | CLOSED | BATCH ONE

 

Hello :)) Sushi-mushi here with another oneshot. I hope you enjoyed my last one!

 


Baekhyun stared at the body of the sleeping girl as he took another swig from his bottle. He rubbed his eyes wearily as the girl simply snuggled closer to the thin blanket he had wrapped around her with no intention of waking up anytime soon, eyes still shut in sleep.

With another exasperated sigh he took another long gulp from the dusty bottle and stood up, joints creaking from sitting still too long. 

Filtered strips of sunlight streamed through the dusty windows, the shimmering light shattering into different reflections where the glass was shattered. The floor of the small room was dusty as well, yellowed tiles and cobwebs surrounding a creaky bed with wilted sheets. 

In fact, the bed was the only piece of furniture in the sparsely decorated room. A single cracked window stood on one side of the bed and a curtain guarded the doorway. It wasn't much, but to Baekhyun, it was home.

He stood next to the bed for awhile, staring at the girl in his bed, brows furrowed. She was from the higher parts of society, as could be seen by the delicately thin cashmere sweater wrapped around her loosely and the soft linen leggings that surrounded her thin legs. She had pale skin and soft cheekbones, lips jutting out in a soft, open mouthed pout. Her eyes were shut in slumber and short lashes jutted out shyly beneath a manicured brow. 

Baekhyun's scowled deepened as the girl began to show signs of waking up and he stepped aside, slowly taking another drag from the bottle as the girl finally opened her eyes. "Choi Minhee," Baekhyun grunted out. "What are you doing here?"

 


 

Minhee woke up cold and sore, feeling the fabric of her cashmere sweater clinging to her. She knew right away she wasn't at home and she sat up disoriented on the hard dusty bed. 

"Choi Minhee. What are you doing here?" a familiar voice pierced through her thoughts and she collapsed back onto the bed in shock to find herself face to face with him

Baekhyun; her boyfriend.

"Ex-Boyfriend," Baekhyun spat out as if he could read her mind and he might as well be able to. They had been together for almost a year before social differences finally tugged them apart. 

She had been born into a wealthy family; grew up with more money than she could spend and more servants in her house than family members. 

He on the other hand. He had been born into the ghetto; the darkest part of the neighborhood where children swarmed around hunting for a bit to eat. He had come out of that part of the city to a slightly better, though not by much, part of town. But still, all of his savings added up to nothing more than a bit of Minhee's allowance. When her parents discovered that she had been dating a ghetto boy behind their backs, she had been stuck at home under her butler's watch. 

"What are you doing here?" Baekhyun repeated, felt a little bit annoyed since she still did not answer meanwhile, Minhee looked up to see her ex boyfriend staring at her reproachfully. 

"I-" Minhee started but her words got caught in . She really didn't know what she was doing here.

"You." Baekhyun scoffed, staring down at her warily, a bottle in his hand. "Sneaking out of your house to come here was going to change so much, Minhee. Sneaking out here is going to change my social status and give me millions of dollars, isn't it?"

"No," Minhee replied meekly, staring at the dusty sheets, shocked by the harshness in Baekhyun's voice.

"I love you Minhee," Baekhyun uttered, an invisible lump slowly developed in his throat. Minhee finally dared to look up. Baekhyun was staring at her with tender eyes but his mouth was clenched  and his jaw was tight. "But love doesn't make the world go round. Money does, and I don't have it."

"That's not true," Minhee managed to choke out.

"It is," Baekhyun replied with a soft sigh. "Love won't make our lives easier and love won't suddenly shower me with money. We've been placed on different stairs on the staircase of life and do you really think you would be happy married to me?"

"Yes," Minhee muttered back.

"You wouldn't." Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair tiredly. "You're used to going to fancy parties and riding in lovely cars. I'm used to ravaging around in garbage piles for food and biking. Even if I was suddenly accepted into your house and given the money I need, I would never be accustomed to living life the way you do. Maybe its best to let go."

Minhee stared at the man staring back at her and for the first time, she couldn't even tell who the figure was anymore. She didn't see the man she had loved staring in front of her, she saw a stranger rejecting her love. Stiffening her trembling lips she nodded and wordlessly drew on her shoes. Without a glance back, she left the small hovel.

 


 

Baekhyun didn't turn around to look for Minhee's retreating back. He was tired of being the one who hurt the most. He didn't want to turn around; he  just... couldn't . He knew that if he did, he'd go running to her asking for forgiveness, feeding her lies about how their love would work.

He loved Minhee; he did. But he also knew that love wasn't the only factor in the world. Social statuses and money and living styles. No matter what you looked at, their lives didn't match up at all. The best thing he could do for her, if he truly loved her, was to let her go. To do anything less or more than that, would bring both of them unhappiness.

So as Minhee's footsteps faded away, Baekhyun stood still, the bottle clenched tightly in his fist. 

With a shatter, the bottle broke.

With it, every sharp edges of it, went straight to his chest.