Peculiar | Strong and Independent

Shadow Oneshot Cafe | CLOSED | BATCH ONE
Credited to Chiisanae; who helped me with this oneshot.

 

"Are you not taking that call?" Heera's friend, who she shares an apartment with, asked her in curiosity.
 
Although the steam from her soup slightly blocked her sight, she could still blink a couple of times with her eyes to read the name on her phone's display.
 
[ Incoming call: Evil jerk ]
 
Normally Heera would have instantly picked up her phone if it were any of her other contacts, but this was different. This 'Evil jerk' was supposed to be her ex-boyfriend, who she hadn't spoken to for the last five months. Ever since she had left him, he continuously kept calling her over and over and about once a week Kris would send her a text message. Things like 'I am sorry' and 'Please forgive me' etc.
 
Her friend continued to chew on her noodles as she noticed that Heera wasn't going to respond to any of this at all. She was a great friend, so she respected the fact that Heera wasn't ready to talk about this yet. As they changed the subject, they continued dinner without any further awkward tension.
 
**
 
After they finished eating, her friend would relax in the living room after helping Heera with cleaning up the kitchen table. Heera herself was doing the dishes when she suddenly heard the doorbell ringing.
 
That's weird. I haven't invited anyone. Nor does she.
 
"I'll get it!" Her friend volunteered and ran off to the hallway to open the door.
 
It took her a while to realize that maybe it wasn't a good idea for her female friend to open the door all by herself in the evening. Quickly, Heera ditched the cup in her hand and struggled to remove the gloves from her hands. Since she didn't want to smell like rubber all over, she quickly washed her hands a little before she would leave the kitchen.
 
What's taking her so long? Something's fishy.
 
Heera rushed through the living room of their apartment to get a glimpse of the person who interrupted their peaceful evening. She couldn't help to think scary thoughts as well. Who knows it was a kidnapper or someone dangerous in general.
 
**
 
"You shouldn't be here and you know it!" She heard her friend stating out loud.
 
Then Heera heard a voice she would least expect. A voice she hates.
 
"Please, I need to talk to her!" Kris defended.
 
"Why are you here? Go away." Heera threw right at Kris.
 
"Babe, please hear me out for once."
 
"How about no?"
 
"You can't ignore me for the rest of your life."
 
"Oh really? Watch me." Heera provoked him by trying to close the door right in front of his nose.
 
If it wasn't for the fact that Kris is someone male and someone tall, Heera would have gotten her way already. But now, Kris blocked her move and forcefully invited himself in. Both completely seemed to forget there was still someone else in their company. As Kris and Heera started to argue in the hallway, she left them alone to 'talk' and entered her bedroom.
 
**
 
In the middle of the heat, Kris grabbed both Heera's arms and forced her against the wall. On the inside, she wanted to cry but she knew she just couldn't do that. She wouldn't let him have his satisfaction just yet. He couldn't know she was hurt by him, even after all this time of ignoring his calls and messages.
 
"What do you want, Kris?!" Heera's voice nearly cracked, because she was emotional.
 
Kris stared at her, but didn't say anything yet. He seemed to look for the right words to say. Which ticked off Heera a bit. Knowing he had months of preparation to come up with something decent to say.
 
How about you're frickin' sorry?! Be a man and say it in my face!
 
"Just tell me, so you can leave me alone permanently." She continued.
 
She saw the pain in his eyes and he probably had seen it in hers as well, but she honestly didn't care anymore right now. All she wanted was for him to properly apologize and then just leave her alone, so she could move on with her life.
 
"I didn't know what I was thinking. I regret everything. There is no other girl like you, Heera. I just found out too late. Do you have any idea how sorry I feel?" Kris spoke as a tear ran down his face.
 
"So?"
 
"I wish I could just turn back time to the moment where I still had you. To cheat on you... It is the worst mistake of my entire life. Right now, I don't have a life anymore. Do you know that? I keep thinking of you over and over." He bit his lip in-between.
 
"It won't ever be anyone else but you. Because you love me for me. All of those other girls don't mean anything to me, because all they want is my money." Kris continued and he looked at her straight into the eyes.
 
Heera watched him weeping in shame, discomfort and disgust towards himself. Without her brain to give any permission for it, her body was hit by a wave of sympathy. She couldn't bear watching someone, who used to be the love of her life, to be this much in pain. A part of her wanted to give in and hold him to comfort him, but for most part she still hated him too much.
 
**
 
She had seen it with her own eyes, how he made out with an unfamiliar female in the local club... right in front of her. He was wasted, way too wasted. But that still gave him no excuse to be such an evil jerk to her.
 
"Don't you fool me. You were going to sleep with her if I hadn't caught you red-handed!"
 
"I already said that was a mistake. What do you want me to say? You keep on milking that event over and over again."
 
"I have all right to do so..."
 
"Heera please. I want you back. I promise I won't ever do it again. You are all who matters to me now. Just, please." He spoke as he tightened his grip around her wrists.
 
Heera nearly mentally hyperventilated, but she tried to keep her calm. Although she wouldn't be so calm anymore if he kept on pushing her nerves and she knew she was close to explode right there and then. There was only way to escape this... To end this ridiculous argument and show him to the door out. The more Kris held onto her tightly, the more Heera struggled for him to let go.
 
**
 
"Sorry... I won't leave before you admit that you still love me." Kris explained himself and to make things even more awkward, he came a little closer with his body.
 
Right now, his body connected with hers and Heera could literally feel the warmth of his body right through the layers of fabric. He was teasing her and she knew it. It was one of her weak points and Kris knew how easily and shamelessly tempted Heera would get if he continuously provoked her.
 
"Go away, Kris." She spat.
 
"Not before you admit you still like me." Kris teased.
 
By now, his expression had changed a little from sad to mischievous. It became hard for Heera to look at him, so she simply turned her head the other way.
 
"Don't you look away from me."
 
"You can't control me anymore, Kris. You had your chance with me and you blew it."
 
"We all know that nothing has changed between us, Heera. Don't you lie to yourself like that." He argued with her.
 
Heera decided to stay stingy on purpose and she basically chose to ignore him from now on, keeping to look the other way. She wouldn't let him have his fun, still.
 
**
 
"Damn it, Heera. Look at me."
 
Never.
 
"If you don't turn your head, I'll kiss you." He threatened her.
 
Your life is over if you do.
 
"I'll count from five! Five... four... three... two..."
 
. What to do?
 
"One..."
 
"Okay, fine!" Heera said, being all grumpy. She finally turned her head towards him again, but the following thing that happened was something she wasn't prepared for at all. Kris closed the distance between then and pressed his lips on hers.
 
Heera fought as hard as she could to set her hands free, but Kris was simply too strong for her so she was basically forced to endure the kiss. Her mind was like a rollercoaster as the flow of memories with Kris, and their entire relationship of two years, took control of her entirely. She wanted to scream. She wanted to cry. She wanted to push him away, but she couldn't.
 
She remembered how they had met, how they hooked up, how he asked her out and how he endlessly plant kisses his kisses on her all over. They would watch the most scary movies together, they would buy tacky couple items together and most of all,  they would fall asleep in the same room together. Kris basically was the entire world to Heera, but he ruined all that because he was bored with their love-life.
 
**
 
A tear was rolling down her cheek as he finally pulled out of the kiss. Heera couldn't ever forgive herself for letting this happen to herself. She was mostly disgusted with herself, since she just had been kissed by the man who cheated on her.
 
"Can't you see? This is why I don't wish to see you anymore." She nagged.
 
"You don't understand. The only way for me to heal your pain is to keep on seeing you, Heera."
 
"How does that make me feel better?! Can't you see I'm in tears?"
 
"But you'll need someone to kiss your tears away." Kris bluntly spoke.
 
"I am strong and independent Kris, I don't need you."
 
Finally, he had let go of her arms and now he quickly pulled her into a forceful hug. If it wasn't for the fact that she could literally hear him cry, she would have pushed him away already.
 
"But I am not... I need you."
 
"I'm sorry Kris... I just can't accept you right now."
 
"You say 'right now', so that's not permanently then? Will you give me a chance some time later then?" His voice sounded hopeful all the sudden.
 
"I don't know. Just not now! Please... Just leave." Heera felt her tear rolling down and she figured it probably fell down onto his jacket.
 
Heera always had found it useful that her length actually nearly matched Kris' and he was only around seven centimeters taller than her. She could easily rest on his shoulder with her chin every time he would pull her into a hug. In school she was often made fun of because of her extreme height, but in a relationship with Kris these type of features would come in handy.
 
**
 
"Alright, I'll go." Kris gave in at last.
 
Just when Heera thought he would let go of her to actually leave, he pulled out of the hug only a little and stayed close. For a couple of seconds he rested his head on hers. Although it was painful, Heera know she would have to let him do this in order for him to leave peacefully. It was not like she was accepting him right away. Due all the pain, she still refused to.
 
"Okay, go." She whispered.
 
Without a warning, Kris leaned in for a kiss once more and this time he cupped her face before he would brush his lips against hers. This wasn't anything Heera couldn't control or stop. She desperately wanted to pull out and smack his face, but since she was so emotional there was no way for her to fight this. To be honest, she had missed his touch every single day of the five months after they separated.
 
The kiss wasn't even passionate or heated, but just simply mind-blowing and overwhelming for both Heera and Kris. He knew he had to leave her alone from now on, until she was ready to face him again. Heera herself, she felt like she had done the right thing to reject him first. After all she was a precious woman who never ever deserved to be treated like that.
 
Quietly Kris pulled out of the kiss without looking her into the eye. He just brushed his thumb once more onto her cheek, trying to communicate with her like that.
 
"Goodnight, bye." The sadness in his voice was unbearable as he gave her his final greeting, but yet he smiled at her.
 
Heera didn't had anything to say and she couldn't pull off a simple 'goodbye' either, since she would burst into tears again if she did. She quietly watched him as he made his way towards the door. Only once more he had turned around and looked at her before he would close the door behind him, to leave the apartment.
 
Goodbye.