07 TFT

The Final Test (Discontinue)

 

 

Eungi sighed; she tossed and rolled on her bed. She averted her eyes from the ceiling above her head. She lied on her side and looked out of the window. The moonlight shone inside of her room that she shared with Jessica. She pivoted her body to look at Jessica’s bed. It was empty like it was most of the time.

Her eyes stared back at the moon from her glass window. Her mind wondered on her mysterious roommate. They were the complete opposite of each other. The other had a duty to protect humans, while hers had often been misunderstood. Her heart –if she did have one– was jealous of Jessica. How lucky she was to be able with those humans. The humans that she ever made contact with –to be precise their soul most had always showed fear of her existence. She, Eungi the death angel was surely wasn’t the cause of their death. It was their time, no one should be blame.

Suddenly Eungi’s mind was flooded with memories that she didn’t even know if it was hers. What was cleared that Jessica looked at her with disgust and the anger in her own eyes.

 

“It must be fun to you play with others life.”

Jessica leaned closer to her and whispered. “Stop interfering with me. Your kinds are just a nuisance to me.”

Eungi was speechless. Her face was stiffened.

“You’ve misunderstood…I didn’t take anybody’s life and a death angel duty is not killing but to send away soul. You better take note about that.”

“Arasoe…but I hope you don’t get involved too much with human especially Jungki. I would really appreciate it.”

 

Eungi clenched her bed sheet as she tried to composure herself after the harsh words kept replaying in her head over and over again. She still hasn’t process what really had happened –this was because some of her memories were still missing and she wasn’t sure why was Jungki’s name mentioned. Should she, stay away from Jungki like Jessica had told her countless of times in her head. She thought she should make an effort for the latter not to look for reasons to hate her more. As angels they were sisters and God unwelcome hatred among His angels.

Eungi was in a deep slumber until the brightness of the day slowly crept inside of her room. She brushed away her silky black hair that was covering her face. She rolled on the other side of her bed and her eyes were laid on Jessica’s bed.

It was not vacant anymore. The petite figure of Jessica’s was sitting at the edge of her bed. The latter was certainly awake. Eungi let out a groan as she stretched her body. She got up and took her steps toward the guardian angel.

“Good morning…” Eungi greeted with a hoarse voice. She rubbed her neck and cleared .

“It had been a long time, since I saw you in here…Where have you been?”

Jessica looked up at her and Eungi gulped. She’s the death angel but she felt shiver in her spine when the guardian angel laid her gaze on her.

“Does it concern you wherever I was?” Jessica stabbed her with her cold words. Eungi grinned as she was used to the coldness of the latter. Her grinned was more of a self-defense mechanism.

“I’m just asking…sorry if you are offended.” Eungi paused on her next word. “Jessica-shi, do you fear me?”

Her question had puzzled Jessica’s mind on that early morning. Jessica stared face to face at the latter and she was fidgeting in her position. Jessica replayed the question asked in her head and she sensed Eungi was serious about the question.

“I don’t fear you. Rather than fear, I’m anxious. You work for God and also not to mention the devil. Some of your kinds had tried to overthrow Heaven. And I’m anxious Eungi, what is your true path. The path that you have chosen to walk on.”

Jessica averted her gaze from Eungi to the door behind the latter. Jessica got up and brought her steps to the door. Eungi sighed –more of a relieved one as she found out what Jessica thought of her. But Jessica’s words somehow led her into a deep thought.

 

At school Eungi had gotten more curious –not on Jessica’s words earlier of that day but on the individual related to Jessica, Jungki –Jessica’s human. Eungi couldn’t avert her eyes from looking at the left side of her seat. Jungki’s eyes were focused on his papers and his hand on the pen that he was holding.

Eungi gazes over the person sitting next to her brought suspicion to Mrs Park, their math teacher. Well surely, since they were now having their midterm exams. The teacher rose for her seat. The sound of her high heels tapping on the floor wasn’t really helping in concentrating on the papers.

Mrs Park purposely stood in between of Eungi’s table and Jungki’s. She exchanged looks with Eungi with one of her eyebrows raised. Eungi shrugged and focused back on her exam papers.

 

In intensive class…

The class was noisy as usual with the typical kind of mischievousness from the class clown, the bully that found a little bit of entertainment in the class by poking the nerd and the snobbish girls talking about random stuffs or fixing their looks. Eungi and Jungki were at least remaining quiet in their respective seats.

After the long await, Mr Lee showed up by slamming his book a few times on the writing board to gain everyone’s attentions. He didn’t say much but started the usual routine in the class. He called out the students name alphabetically and ticked his name list.

“Today’s class won’t be long, after a few words from me today…you kids are dismiss.”

Almost all the students in the class cooed.

“Calm down, kids.” He huffed. “As you know, today is the last day of your midterm test; I hope everyone did well in the test.”

Mr Lee paused. Some groaning could be heard. After the groaning from the students died, he continued.

“Well what best for now is to pray that your efforts would show on you midterm result. I do hope that none of you will be back in this class after the midterm test though there are some of your faces I expect to be here again.” The teacher chuckled.

“And lastly, don’t miss me once you are not in this class anymore.” The teacher gave a cheeky winked. The snobbish girls were fangirling while the others cringed. “That’s all, class dismissed.”

All the students rose and bowed.

Jungki put on his bag pack and placed his headphones over his head. Without wasting any minute he headed out. Surprisingly, Eungi followed the latter from behind, quietly. She hung her head low and kept playing with her fingers as if it was the most interesting thing to do.

Eungi walked down the hallway with the dandy boy still hadn’t noticed her present. Later, as if it was another –the most fun thing to do Eungi walk while matching their feets.

 

One step… Two step…

 

Cold breeze gushed on her face and blew on her silky black hair softly. She looked up on the sky where she used to spend most of her time –almost of her entire angel life– and looked at her surrounding where it was so much different for what she used to see at Meteora and a thousand times the opposite of hell.

Eungi brought her steps into a halt. Her eyes gazed on the rooftop of the school building where the mini rooftop garden that belongs to the science club was at. Someone was up there, leaning on the railing of the building. She dropped back her gaze at the fellow a few steps ahead.

“Watch out!” Someone warned from above.

Eungi looked up and then back to Jungki who was surely didn’t realized anything that happening and he certainly didn’t hear the warning given to him. Fortunately, Eungi was there –she saw a pot of plant was about to hit Jungki directly on his head.

The time slowed down, well for Eungi. She reached out her hands and quickened her steps towards Jungki. She used her hand to cover Jungki’s eyes and another wrapped around his waist. Her huge black wings appear and he lifted the dandy boy without any effort –as if the boy was as light as feather.

The pot of plant crashed on the ground with a dramatic broken sound. Eungi flapped her wings but later she gasped. Instinctively, her wings disappeared and both of her and Jungki were pulled by gravity to the ground below. Eungi closed her eyes making her wings reappear again and she wrapped it around their body. Both of them groaned due to the great impact between their body and the hard ground. Fortunately nothing was broken as her wings had protected them.

Eungi loosened her grip on Jungki and the death angel was still on top of the boy. As Eungi’s hand was not covering his eyes anymore, Jungki slowly opened his eyes. By instinct he closed his eyes again at the sudden brightness that entering his dark brown orbs. He opened his eyes again as he felt the girl above him was trying to get up. Their eyes met and there was something unusual he noticed behind Eungi’s back.

 

Wings! A pair of black wings…

 

The death angel was in dazed as the dandy boy seemed frozen. He was looking straight at her…no, like at her…WINGS! Eungi knocked the poor boy’s head and at that split second she made her wings disappeared. She quickly got up so that the boy didn’t have the chance to knock her head instead. Jungki groaned at the pain.

“What was that for?” The poor boy slowly got up.

Eungi didn’t respond but instead she was busy dusting her clothes. Jungki glared at the girl though she wasn’t even look at his face. Deep inside Eungi was panicking.

“What should I do? Did he saw my wings? Should I ask him?” Eungi thought to herself. She shook her head.

“No, I shouldn’t…since its wasn’t for sure he see it. But he was staring…Remain calm Eungi. Calm!” The angel silently reassured herself.

“Are you listening? Eungi-shi?” The boy called out her name.

“W-what do you think I was d-do-do-doing? I w-was…saving you!” Eungi pointed at the shattered pot of plant.

“Yes, I see that. But, just now you kno-”

“Shouldn’t you at least thank me! I-I s-sa…save you…” Eungi gaped. Yes, she did saved the human standing in front of her eyes at that moment. It was something that’s very rare for a death angel could do to a human. Jungki arched his eyebrows at the girl with his hand still rubbing the swollen part on his forehead.

 

Was I dreaming?

Were my eyes deceiving me?

I’m sure! I’m sure that I saw wings…

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

cute-rabbit-emoticon-013.gifto be continued...