Our Favorite Sunset Sky

My One-Shot Collection

 

Our Favorite Sunset Sky

- Donghae/Jessica -

09/05/12 

 

The salty scent that the sky blue ocean scatters on the invisible air makes him feel that he’s on a paradise; it’s unexpectedly calming, beautiful. The serenity that encloses his body as well as his mind suddenly freed out memories of his family, his closest buddies, of her.

Years have passed, to be exact 5 years, and still he’s here standing, alone, toes slowly eaten by the white sand, cold and icy water brushes on his feet as the waves strike on it. Just by thinking of 5 years, it’s too long, too lonely, too alone. It’s feels like forever to wait for 5 years without any assurance, without anyone to stay. And to him those 5 years feels like 10 years, day by day it feels like a torture, like a punishment. But he’s merely a human being, not capable of facing the time, facing whoever holds this cruel time.

Right on the dot, it’s 5:44 PM on his watch.

A smile slowly lingers on his dry lips as rays of light blinds his eyes, the sad color of orange, his favourite color, the sunset’s color. In just a matter of minutes, this big ball of fire will slowly vanish below the ocean as if it never existed, leaving not a single trace up above.

And before the ocean eats the orange object floating in the sky, he remembers her, every day, every hour, every minute, every second, every moment of his life. It’s only her, the person that can make him like this.

Footsteps on the sand are visible as his eyes roams around the isolated place.

4 feet, 2 pairs of feet.

A memory arrives upon him, remembering the days when the both of them stayed on the ocean just few blocks away from their houses just to wait for the sun to set. Her hands clasped around his, his holding on them tightly. A sign of affection that he wanted to show, to say, until it’s too late, he needs to leave to pursue his studies, to leave his family, to leave his life in Seoul, to leave her.

It’s too sudden, an unavoidable happening.

That painful scene always replays on his mind, killing every neuron on his brain. But one thing that he never regretted that day of his departure was his promising words, his sincere words.

“I love you, Jessica.”

She paused after hearing him utter those heavy and meaningful words. Tears didn’t hesitate to fall from her reddened eyes because of her endless crying last night. This lad, this jerk, this fishy who she thought that will love him the least, turns to be the one who loves her the most.

Why did he need to say it on that day? To make their goodbye an agonizing one? To see her cry? To make her miss him?

Well, if that was his plan in the first place, he surely succeeded.

Her sensory neurons relayed the message to her brain, trigged her hypothalamus as she bit her salty lips. It took almost a minute before she reacted on it, making the guy embarrassed. The first thing that came to her mind was not to reply back, to say her ‘I love you’, but to envelope him with her warmth.

That time, they both closed their eyes, both controlling the unstoppable tears lingering at the peak of their eyes. Crying at this kind of situation is not advisable because it will just make them crazy just to wait for 5 years.

Upon releasing their embrace, Jessica damped her soft fingers on his drenched cheeks. Seeing him cry was new to her, painfully new to her.

“I will wait for you. And by that time, you will hear my reply.” No assurance of the outcome, of her reply. And he was standing uprightly, trying to control his legs as he felt broken hearted, felt dumped by her. She never said yes, never promised a word, a small hope was only given to him but still it was the most important thing. 

“I will come back. I need to come back.” He breathed, saying those words one by one, eyes buried on her bullion ones. But his tone showed a promise that he will come back, whatever it takes.

That’s the end of their conversation, as he stepped his foot backwards, turning his back on her, leaving her side, not sure if he’s even coming back.

“Donghae.”

But it seemed that the woman gave up, saying her last words.

“I’m sorry that I don’t have anything to give before you leave but always remember that you have the one thing… the thing that only you can bring…” A momentary pause cut her words, feet approaching him.

A small kiss was planted on his cheek, leaving a new life, a new hope.

“And that’s my heart.”

Finally the long wait comes to an end, he’s going home, and he can see her once again. The long awaited dream is finally approaching his palms, no other wishes, no other desires; just to be with Jessica is already enough.

And this time, his eyes followed the sun as it slowly vanishes down the endless ocean. This sunset will remind him, his every wait, every longing, and every hardship that he met. It’s his witness, the witness for his undying and strong love. Maybe, she’s watching it too, the sunset, just like those days when they always let their lips smile, let their hands feel each other’s warmth, let their heart shout its true emotions without any sound, no words are needed, just their presence suffice the unspoken words and that’s the most beautiful memory in their lives.

Even though their distance is far too long, their hearts are far separated, still they are living under the same sky, breathing the same air, and that’s what’s important.

His favorite sunset sky. Her favourite sunset sky.

“Our favorite sunset sky.”

Yes, he’s going home.

And he will see her again… soon

-----

a/n: yes, I updated but a short one, and I think it's not that good but still I want to post it, enjoy reading. I just miss Haesica, I'm a Haesica deprived. :D Well the title is from the song of DNA.