Deadline

My One-Shot Collection

Deadline

In our world, there are many abrupt or unpredictable things that can happen in just a minute or even just a second. Life, is very important matter to everyone, some think that God has a purpose why He want us to live and even die but some think opposite, they didn't realize the importance of life and the real reason why God sent us in this world.

 

Living is like loving someone, if you didn't act quickly and wasted a chance, it will be taken away from you in just one click and just realized that you wasted so much time, not doing anything to express your love for that person if everything’s too late.

 

Donghae's POV

 

I opened my eyes lightly, familiarizing my surroundings. It's a very dark place and I know that it's my first time here, in this isolated place. I slowly carry myself up while wiping the dirt on my . As I stood up, I fixed my hair and my neck tie then I glanced at my clothes and I was surprised to see that it was totally rip apart. What happened to me? My appearance looks like I'm beaten very bad but I can't feel any pain in my entire body.

 

I tried to remember what happened but my head is not functioning well. I can't remember anything; I just know that something bad happened to me, that’s why I'm in this unfamiliar place. I tried to find the exit so that I can ask for help.

 

Finally, after a short walk, I can finally catch a glimpse of light coming from an unknown place and I can clearly see people who are walking with smile painted on their faces. I fastened my pace to see where I am. As I reached the light, my eyes started to observe every detail that I can see, familiarizing the place then I saw a banner.

 

"Welcome to Seoul!"

 

I released a heavy sigh knowing that I'm here in Seoul, the place where I live and I know I'm safe. I can see that people are starting to notice me, noticing my unpleasant appearance. I decided to go back to my condominium to change my clothes and take a bath to freshen up my body so I walked almost running, ignoring the eyes of the people who pass by me.

 

-----------

 

I looked at the mirror, reflecting my handsome and clean but tired face. I look more decent than before. I checked the time, it's 5:00 p.m., it's Saturday so no work. I suddenly remembered that today we planned to meet, to meet the most special person in my life, the one who inspires me in living this life, my best friend. I smiled as I picture her innocent and pretty face, the face that I will never forget.

 

As I make my way out of my condo, the calendar near the door caught my attention. I looked at the date while saying it.

 

"April 18, 2011."

 

I read it softly then as I look at that date, I can see a color red ink circled on the 18 number with a note under it.

 

"Jessica's Birthday"

 

I read it on my mind with a smile and then I remembered that when her birthday comes, I will personally confess my cloaked love for her since the first time we've met.

 

I planned to walk and feel some fresh air and maybe I can remember what happened last night. As I walk, I place my hands on my pocket while whistling then I suddenly felt a box inside my pocket, a small box so I took it out and stare at it for a second.

 

'Why is it on my pocket?' I asked myself without knowing the answer.

 

I slowly lift the cover and peeked what's inside this mysterious box. A smile starts to form on my lips as I saw a necklace with a heart pendant on it. I held it out on the box and glance at it carefully.

 

'Why do I have this?' Again, unanswered question.

 

Playing it with my hands, suddenly it opened to half. I was quite amused by what happened and I opened it widely, clearly showing what's inside it. My eyes felt happy as well as my heart. I slowly place my finger on the engravings, feeling the every letter in it.

 

"Donghae & Jessica"

 

I never thought that I have this thing in my possession. Did I personally buy it or she's the one who gave it to me? I don't know and things are not yet clear in my mind but the thing that I'm sure is she's everything to me, the one I treasure the most here in this world.

 

I finally reached her place then I stopped in front of her apartment while looking at the door in front of me. There's a part inside me that tells me that, I should not enter that place but there's a part that I need to enter that place to make the unclear things, clear.

 

As I stare at the door, suddenly it opened from inside. There's a figure inside that door that I can't clearly see but slowly I can see that it's a lady who is very familiar. She has a blonde hair with curls on the end. She's quite small and her eyes are very clear and bright showing her innocent side. She's wearing a red dress with a trench coat on and she looks more mature on that outfit but as I look at her expression, she seems down and sad. She slowly makes her way outside her apartment and locked it safely. My eyes felt tears, starting to form, I don't know the reason of my tears but I should not be sad when I can finally see her, right in front of my eyes, the only woman in my life, Jessica.

 

I smiled at her but it seems that she didn't notice that I'm standing in front of her and just passed by me. I just smiled at her knowing that maybe she's just too occupied, that's why she didn't see me nor my shadow. I started to follow her steps, wondering where she is going. I look at her back that looks warm and I notice a basket of flowers on her left hand, holding it tightly.

 

I smiled at it, she really like flowers and she's really a nature lover. I remembered that she wished that she can have her own garden as a birthday gift so I was the one who granted it. I can clearly remember her expression that day, she cried at me, thankful for my gift then she said that she will surely

 

I still follow her, not knowing where she is headed to and still she didn't notice me.

 

After a long walk, she finally stopped from her steps and her steps are hesitating to enter that place, a cemetery.

 

I looked at her curiously still not knowing the reason why is she here alone. What is she doing here? It's her birthday, why is she here? I approached her slowly to ask her but she started to move her feet again entering the cemetery. So I have no choice but to follow her, to know what she's up to.

 

As we both enter the cemetery, I can see the green field all over the place with some gray tomb stones on the grass.  I've never been to this place before. What is she doing in this kind of place? Did someone die? Many questions are lingering inside my mind and I want to know the reason.

 

She stopped in front of a tomb stone. That tomb stone is surrounded by many flowers, I think many have visited here before Jessica does. I can't clearly see the name because her body is covering it so I slowly lift my feet to walk towards her.

 

As I walk, she took a seat on the grass under the shade of the tree and she started to talk, talking alone to herself. As I heard her voice, I stopped from walking and took a seat at the back of the tree, I decided not to disturb her and just let her talk until she finish so I lean my back on the tree's bark.

 

"Hello." She said shyly followed by a laugh and I smiled at her shyness.

 

"Hmmmm... It's been a year since we last met, huh? I never thought that day will be our last meeting." She uttered followed by a soft sob. She's already crying. I hate it when she is crying, my heart feels hurt every time I hear that sound. I decided to move closely with her so that I can see her, now, I can see her crying face but I guess she still didn't know that I'm here. I want to hug her, comfort her but there's something that preventing me to do that.

 

"I..." She started talking still crying her tears out.

 

"I really miss you, oppa."

 

I glance at her after I heard those words and still, she is crying. Now I know, she already have someone in her heart but I pity her for being alone. I don't want her to be hurt.

 

"Why did you leave me? I thought... I thought you said that you will never leave me… You said it, but why? I miss my best friend."

 

My eyes went wide as I heard the word best friend. I know that Jessica has only one best friend and that's me but I'm not dead, I'm right here beside her. I tried to talk but she started to talk again.

 

"You said that night, that... that I should wait for you, no matter what happens. That I should never leave in our secret place. I waited for you the whole night, hoping that you will come anytime. But... why didn't
you come that day?!?" She said while shouting the last question still sobbing.

 

A tear fell from my eye, a sad tear. I know what she is talking about. It's about the day that I will finally confess, on her birthday, I said to her that I will meet her in our secret place. But I can't understand... Isn't that day, today? Today, I will confess to her but I don't get what she is saying.

 

"Donghae-oppa, answer me!" She shouted calling me with tears on her eyes.

 

Again, tears fell on my eyes without my own accord. I was shocked as I hear my name. Am I dead? Am I the one inside that thing? I can't understand anything, I'm alive right here beside her… but what is she talking about?

 

I stood up with my weak legs. I can't think straight so I slowly approach the tomb stone in front of her and read it softly.

 

"Lee Donghae. Born on October 15, 1986. Died on April 18, 2010."

 

I fell on the ground only supported by my knees as I read the last part, the day I died, her birthday. I slowly placed my hand on the tombstone, touching it if it’s really true and I still can't believe all of this. I don't want to believe it.

 

"Am I really dead?" I asked looking at the crying Jessica by my side. That's why she can't see me. That's why everything is so odd. Then suddenly all my memories came back on my mind, the real reason why I'm dead.

 

*Flashback*

 

I bought a necklace for Jessica, a heart necklace with an engraving inside. I called her last night that we should celebrate her birthday in our secret place, that I will tell her something really important, that I will finally confess my feelings for her.

 

I waited for 5 years, until now, and I finally gathered my courage to confess that I love her since the first time we've met. My doubts are always preventing me from confessing because maybe she doesn't love me or she already has someone. I never seen her dated someone and when I asked her if she have someone she like, she always say 'yes' and after that her actions became cold and different towards me, preventing my eyes and not talking to me after that. It's really hard to understand, girls like her.

 

I looked my watch and its 5:30 p.m. I'm not yet late because we agreed to meet at exactly 6. As I walk to my car holding the flowers for her, somebody poke me from behind. I slowly turned around but as I turned around, a punch welcomed me.

 

I fell on the ground still holding the flowers on my hand. I slowly touched my lip and wipe the blood then I stand slowly still holding the flowers tightly.

 

"Ya! What's your problem?" I asked angrily the guy who punched me. He looks like a bad guy, he’s taller than me and bigger than me.

 

He snorted. "You’re my problem. Why did your father kill my daughter who is so young and innocent?!? Is money only the important thing for the kind of people like your family?!?" He asked me angrily while pulling my collar.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." I retorted as 3 more men approached us. I lied because I know my father very well, he will do anything for money, he's a greedy man and he doesn't know how to love and because of that I hate him, I don't want to be recognize as his son.

 

"Ha. I don't care if you don't know but if taking a life of his son will make him regret the bad things he did, I will do it." He declared with anger and evilness in his eyes.

 

"Please don't." I pleaded, scared of what’s going to happen. Am I going to die? I asked myself not wanting to believe it.

 

"Get him!" He ordered to his men. Those men carried me and then we entered a dark alley. As we finally reached the place where there are no people, they threw me on the ground. I slowly tried to stand on my feet but they started to throw punches on my body like there’s no tomorrow. I pleaded them to stop but it's useless, they wanted to kill me.

 

As I cough, blood can be seen on the ground. They stopped from beating me and the guy took a knife on his pocket. I look at it already know what will happen to me, I will surely die this time and no one’s going to help me but only myself. I still don't want to die, not now, Jessica is still waiting for me so I raise my hand, stopping them even if I don’t have any strength.

 

"Please. Don't kill me. Your daughter will not be happy if she knew that his father is going to kill someone who is innocent." I said still pleading not to kill me.

 

"Ha. Don't ever use my daughter. She will not be sad because she will understand why I am doing this. This is for her!" He shouted with tears on his face. I understand his feelings, it’s really hard to lose someone you love but why me?

 

"Please..." I pleaded softly and I can tell that my body is going to collapse anytime.

 

"I'm sorry but I have to do this for my daughter and just say that I love her for me." He said as he stabbed me on my chest many times like I’m an animal. Blood started to flow like a stream in every part of my body and I can’t feel the pain anymore because my body is numb because of all the wounds and bruises. After the last stab they finally left me alone, running away.

 

I slowly placed my hand on my wounds and I looked at my bloody hands. I know I'm going to die anytime soon. Liquid started to form on my eyes remembering Jessica, she's still waiting for me. I can't keep her waiting alone and I need to tell her what I truly feel for her. I slowly crawl with all my might but I don't have any strength to move or even to breathe. Before breathing my last breath, I took out my phone from my pocket and opened it showing my wallpaper, showing her smiling face.

 

"Saranghae..." I said as my breath started to fade.

 

"I-I'm s-so-sorry..." My last words as the last tear from my eye fell on the ground.

 

*End of Flashback*

 

I slowly reached her using my hand but as my hand approaches her, she said something that made my heart hurt.

 

"I love you."She said with her hand on her chest still with teary eyes.

 

"Donghae-oppa... I love you."She said it again that made my heart break instantly. I wish I didn't die that day, so that we can be together. I didn't know that she loved me, I thought she like me only as a best friend. Why did I waste my chance? For all those times, I did nothing.

 

"I love you, from the start and because you're making me happy whenever I'm sad. I feel so protected when I'm with you. I never had the chance to tell you my feelings... because I'm scared... I'm scared that you only like me as a friend. I'm afraid that I will be hurt but... But now, I know it's too late because I know you will not hear me. I regretted, not telling you what I feel for you. I should have told you. I should have told you before you finally left me. I can't, I can't live my life without you. For 1 year, I always thought of you, always crying, always blaming myself for everything... I'm sorry." She confessed controlling her emotions.

 

I approached her then I hugged her immediately even if she can't see me but I know she can feel me. I cried with all my might as I hug her while feeling her warm hug, it’s so comfortable hugging her even if she can’t see me. 

 

"I'm sorry, for leaving you alone. I didn't want to leave you... I'm sorry for not be here to comfort you. I think we are not really destined for each other. I think... God have other plans on you that we can't be together. I want to stay with you forever... I want to love you. I want to feel that you love me the way I do but now, I can feel your love and it's enough... It's already enough. I'm happy. I'm happy and finally I know that I can leave this world happy and contented because I know that the person I love loves me too."

 

I said it to her even if she didn't hear anything then I broke my hug and looked at her puffy eyes.

 

"No matter how far you are, no matter how long I'm gone... You will always be here, inside my heart. I will always love you forever, wherever you are, Jessica."

 

I slowly felt that I'm slowly disappearing so I stood up while taking the small box that contains the necklace out of my pocket. I placed it on the side of the flowers she brought then I looked at her with teary eyes. I hope she can see my last gift for her and if she didn't, I know it has a reason why God didn't let her see it. Maybe this is the reason why God let me stay, to know the truth and to finally tell her the things I didn't have the chance to say when I'm still alive. I know it's useless because I know she didn't hear any word from me but I know her heart heard it all.

 

"I'm so sorry." I muttered with sadness and regret. I hope that she will realize that she is the one I love and I hope that she can be happy without me in her life.

 

"I love you, Jessica."I finally said my last words as I finally disappeared, leaving her forever.

 

~END~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N] Sorry, it's a sad one shot again. :( Next  will be a happy one. :)