Bloody World

Einstein

 

If it wasn’t the numerous clacks of heels against posh tiles, clangs of clear glasses against other clear glasses or the conventional conversation between what seemed to be “important people” that annoyed Baekhyun, it was the fact that Kris had been nagging him all morning.

“I told you to fix your tie! It’s all crooked! And what the hell did you eat? Its all over your shirt!” The elder shouted, making Baekhyun roll his eyes as he placed the controller in his hands. “Kris, this isn’t food. Its oil.” He replied, grabbing the wobbling duck contraption on the ground.

“Jesus Christ, how did you manage to get oil on your expensive suit? That I picked out for you?” He groaned even more when Baekhyun refused to reply. “Baekhyun, today’s the day you introduce yourself to the world. You can’t bloody introduce yourself to the world in a stained suit!”

“I didn’t ing ask to be introduced to this bloody world! God, Kris! You keep acting like you’re my dad!” He shouted, ruffling his hair with his oil-stained hands. Kris’ eyes widened as black dots remained on Baekhyun’s hair. “Oh, God.”

“What’s all the shouting for? It’s only a few minutes until…” Jongin came to a halt when he saw the two before him. “Wow, Baekhyun, you look great.” He said with a wink, making Kris groan in frustration.

“Don’t encourage him.” Kris said with a scowl, passing Jongin by the shoulder to head through the curtains that separated the party and the mansion.

Baekhyun bitterly smiled at Jongin, a painful feeling in his stomach forming. Jongin silently walked towards him, patting him on the shoulder for comfort. “You know, you don’t have to do this crap.”

Baekhyun nodded, agreeing with him whole-heartedly. “I don’t understand why publicizing me is so important. I’m not that important anyway.” Baekhyun said with a sigh, fumbling with the robotic duck in his hands.

“What is that?” Jongin asked, eyeing the duck curiously. Baekhyun lifts his head to meet Jongin’s eyes, a bright smile sprawled on his face. “It’s Duck-o-ronic 2.0.” He said as he flipped the duck over to place it on the ground. He then grabbed the controller, making the duck move around.

“What happened to Duck-o-ronic 1.0?” Jongin asked with a chuckle, as the duck started to dance. He always loved it when Baekhyun took a break from all the military weaponry and economic growth development inventions, and went for the subtle toy contraptions.

“He kinda… exploded,” Baekhyun said with a laugh, now making the duck run around the room in swift motions. “…in Kris’ face.”

Jongin eyed the elder, amused with his reply. “Don’t you ever miss being the kid who could just make inventions without being subjected to the government, or something?” He asked, throwing Baekhyun off-guard.

Baekhyun shakes his head, resuming with playing with the duck. “Nah. I’m having fun.”

As if on cue, the ring of the adjustment of the microphone and Kris’ voice fell across the entire mansion. Jongin nudged Baekhyun to the back of the stage, Baekhyun complying with a deep breath.

So today, I have invited you all to witness what has been making Canada a safer place. We have been incorporating his ideas and his inventions into the defenses, and has made everything, and everyone in this country better.” Baekhyun listened carefully to Kris’ english, mindlessly translating it into his vernacular.

Jongin turned his head to Baekhyun, a pathetic smile plastered on his face. “Do you understand any of this?” He asked with a sigh, obviously knowing the answer to it. Baekhyun nodded, turning his head back to the source of the sound.

Baekhyun let his mind wander, just like he usually did whenever Kris would break into posh and maturity. He sighed as he realized what was going to happen to him in a few seconds, counting each articulately. Baekhyun was intelligent, and he knew even before that once he got introduced to the world, more people would want him.

More people would abuse his power, his knowledge, his knack. When he was younger, he could already create military weapons, nuclear bombs, and death machines, all in the confines of his attic-based bedroom.

It was a hassle, living a life with a brain that surpassed human capacity. Kris was the first one to find out about this, and just as he expected, exploited Baekhyun for his own selfish gain. But, years passed and people change. Kris now supports Baekhyun and keeps him in shape.

“…without further ado, I would like to introduce to you, Byun Baekhyun! Mr. Byun, please take the stage.”

Baekhyun immediately perked up, allowing Jongin to push him from behind for moral support. He turned his head one last time to face Jongin, a light smile crossing his face. He then ventured forward, taking deep breaths with every step.

The crowd was huge. Baekhyun could pinpoint every single person present, as he previously memorized. Mr. Richenson, blue coat, 5 foot 1, 56 years old. Mr. Campbell, obnoxious yellow coat, M&R tradings, 72 years old. Baekhyun said in his mind, letting his eyes drag along to the others. Mrs. Forrester, lavender dress, $4.2 Million dollar diamond ring, probably a gift from Mrs. Granger’s husband…

He heaved air when he stopped walking, placing himself beside Kris. Baekhyun’s body mechanically moved, bowing 90 degrees to the crowd. Once he resurfaced, the cameras started flashing, blinding Baekhyun.

Mr. Byun! Is it true that you were the one who created the C.F. Gun that the military had publicly shown world wide?”

“Mr. Byun! Over here! How did you think of the Incendiary? Was there anything behind it?

“Mr. Byun!”

Baekhyun blinked a few times, taking a step back as the reporters jerked their microphones and recorders forward towards Baekhyun’s direction. Cameras slowly crept up to him, making him scowl in fear. Kris cleared his throat, stepping in between Baekhyun and the crowd.

“I’m sorry, but Mr. Byun will not be taking any questions for today—“

A gun shot.

Baekhyun and Kris immediately turned their heads, searching for the source. The guards on duty scrambled to their feet, herding the crowd into the lobby while searching for the source as well. Jongin had revealed himself through the curtains, standing in front of Baekhyun for protection.

“Get him back to his room.” Kris ordered. Jongin quickly complied, grabbing Baekhyun by the wrist and dragging him through the curtains. Jongin started sprinting, forcing Baekhyun to comply with his speed.

“, damn security! Didn’t they check for firearms?!” Jongin shouted, fumbling with his pocket to grab his walkie-talkie. “Come in, Update on Sector 1!”

…The gun man seems to be Mr. Huang. Over.”

Jongin fell into a sudden stop, making Baekhyun trip over his legs and unto the ground. He took a deep breath, one that Baekhyun took for a sigh of relief.

“Ok, since it’s Tao, Kris will get the situation under control.” He said as he wiped the sweat off his temples with his white handkerchief. Baekhyun knew who this Mr. Huang was. Well, he always heard stories about him, but he’s never met him face to face.

“Baekhyun, just to be safe, go up to your lab. We’ll call you down once the incident dies ove—“

Baekhyun crumpled to the ground as another gun shot was heard. Jongin flinched, immediately turning his whole body to turn the other way. “—“

“Come on Baekhyun, go!”

Baekhyun immediately lifted himself up, scrambling off the ground and up to the stairs. He could feel the weight of his body weighing his legs down, but he kept going. He was never terrified, especially when it came to guns and weapons.

But today seemed like an exception.