Chapter 18

Misunderstandings and Truths

Hyukjae wakes up his head feeling hazy, his body heavy, and thirsty. He lies still deciding whether or not to go get something to drink. Finally he decides to try and get up. He is in less pain now thanks to the pain killers but it still hurts. He sits on the edge of the bed pushing himself up forgetting he has a bad ankle until he puts too much weight on it and stumbles to the ground. He grabs his side trying not to scream in pain when his body suddenly jolted hitting the floor. !!  He hears the door open and then hears a voice he knows all too well.

“hyukki..” donghae’s voice travel through the silence.

“hyukjae are you alright.” Siwon takes a step to hyukjae to help him up but donghae moves faster gently grabbing hyukjae’s arm. Hyukjae looks up and donghae stares at him in disbelief at the wounds on hyukjae’s face.

“what happened? Who did this?” donghae asks and tries to help hyukjae back to the bed.

“don’t touch me.” Hyukjae pulls his arm away from donghae leaving him stunned. Hyukjae is in pain and upset, not exactly the best time for donghae to appear.

 Siwon looks to both of them and when realizing donghae is not moving instead pushes donghae slightly over and helps hyukjae who accepts it without any protest making donghae feel even worse. Why? Why does he let siwon help him and not me? Does he hate me?

“hyuk-“ donghae’s voice is quiet sadness evident in it.

“why are you here?” hyukjae interrupts not sounding spiteful but normal.

“I called him.” Siwon answers. “ I told him everything between you and yoona I know except for this.”

“what yoona had something to do with this?” donghae’s head shoots up. He turns to hyukjae. “did it?” donghae takes the silence that follows as a yes. “how? I mean what happened?”

“some of her admirers are mad I tried to ‘’ her…I guess this is a bonus for her because all she wants is for me to leave the school but I also got beat up.”Hyukjae answers cynically. Donghae’s eyes widen.

“sorry…I’m sorry this is all my fault.” Donghae lowers his head. “sorry I-“

“stop, just stop I’m tired so leave.” Hyukjae says turning away from donghae. Siwon walks past donghae and leaves the room. Donghae moves forward to hyukjae.

“please do not say that.” Donghae walks in front of hyukjae. “I will fix this I promise.”

“why should I believe that?” Hyukjae responds his eyes piercing donghae like a knife. Why should I trust you? You could not trust me…didn’t you promise to protect me? What happened to that… hyukjae feels tears forming and looks down avoiding donghae’s eyes.

“you’re right…you have no reason to…I’m so sorry hyukki I should have listened to you. Please give me one more chance I promise I will do better.” Donghae pleads kneeling in front of hyukjae trying to lift his face.

“like you promised before…” hyukjae chokes out. “I don’t want your useless promises.” Hyukjae pushes donghae’s hands away. “leave…” donghae stands up slowly and walks to the door.

“I will fix this I will not let you get hurt again or be thrown out of school even if you do not believe me.” Donghae closes the door leaving the room.

 “I need to go deal with something I will call kyuhyun to come get hyukjae.” Donghae says glancing at siwon before leaving the house.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donghae waits impatiently in front of a large door after ringing the bell. Finally the door opens revealing a smiling girl.

“donghae-oppa!” she says happily surprised. “why are you here? Oh want to hang out?”

“we need to talk yoona.” donghae answers coldly causing yoona’s smile to falter.

“why? What is wrong?” she invites donghae inside. Her parents are at work right now so she is alone.

“I will make this fast tomorrow you are going to go to school and tell the principle that the rumor is a lie hyukjae did not do anything.” Donghae speaks calmly.

“what?” yoona’s eyes widen. “That…I mean you saw what happened how can you say that… he said something didn’t he? He is a liar.” Yoona insists donghae remains silent. “I already told the school the truth. What he did. It is too late.”

“YOONA!” donghae shouts, making yoona flinch. Donghae has never raised his voice to her. “do you realize what you are doing? You think lying about something like this is ok? He will not just be kicked out of school it will be worse.”

“STOP!” she shakes her head. “just stop why is it always about him? WHY!?”

“Hyukki did not say anything. Siwon told me about what you have been doing behind my back.” donghae adds trying to sound calm even though he is clearly upset his mind filled with guilt for letting it get this far, for hyukjae being hurt, for yoona hurting him.

“he is lying!” yoona yells.

“he is not this whole time I knew but like siwon said I did not want to see it. Yoona I care for you I did not want to notice how you have changed. This is my fault for not making things clear.” Donghae starts explaining until yoona cuts him off.

“no oppa it is his fault. Can’t you see he is turning you against me he-“

“even if hyukjae is not here I will still not date you! If you do not start telling the truth I…I do not want to see you anymore.” donghae says quickly interrupting yoona, staring directly at her, his eyes unwavering.

Yoona starts crying “Fine I lied! Are you happy now I admit I lied! it is not fair! Why does everyone take his side? ...Why him? … Why don’t you love me I have known you longer?”

 “I’m sorry yoona but I can’t let hyukjae’s life be ruined because of me. If you do not tell the school the truth I will tell your parents myself and worst case scenario I will tell hyukjae’s family. They will not remain silent if someone is accusing their son of something like this.” Yoona falls down crying. Donghae walks over and kneels in front of her. “I don’t want to hurt you either so please stop this. Tell the school the truth.”

Donghae leaves shortly after. I really hope she tells the school the truth. What if she does not? No she will, she knows what she did is wrong I could tell that much. Crap but what if they reported it. No, they can’t have done that yet until they inform hyukjae first, right? Besides his uncle will definitely not let that happen.  Donghae leaves his thought when his phone goes off.

From: kyuhyun

Hyukki-hyung is staying at his uncle’s tonight. Also you better deal with this before Minnie murders that girl. Just warning you.

Donghae replies back quickly saying he hopefully took care of everything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Next day- Wednesday:

Hyukjae did not come to school, not that donghae is surprised either. Donghae sees yoona walking out of the office area her head down staring at the floor, her parents beside her.

“I’m so sorry for all this.” Her mother bows and apologizes to the principle and vice principle before them. “we will make sure to deal with this properly.” Yoona’s father informs.

Donghae asks to speak with yoona before they leave outside so her parents go ahead and will meet her at the car.

“I told them I only lied and agreed with the rumor because I was afraid of what might happen to me if people thought someone made that up about me or some stupid reason like that.” Yoona tells donghae not meeting his eyes. “my parents are mad that I agreed to the rumor like that and that is all they do not know anything else.”

“I got it I will not say anything otherwise.” Donghae assures her.It might not be the truth but atleast hyukki will be cleared of everything.

“I will be transferring schools too.” Yoona tells donghae who only nods in response. “C-can we still be fr-friends? I promise I will not do anything bad but please do not ignore me or avoid me.” She pleads weakly.

“I have no intention of abandoning you. What you did was wrong and I am mad but we are still friends just give me time.” Donghae tells her earning a small smile from the other.”sorry” She then leaves.

One thing solved. Now, how do I fix the other problem? Donghae sighs. Rumors are buzzing around the school about how hyukjae is innocent and someone was just trying to frame him things like that. Gossip really travels fast here.

“kyuhyun came and took hyukjae not long after you left yesterday.” Siwon informs him.

“I cannot believe things went so far. Yoona is scary.” Henry adds into the conversation.

“she always got what she wants because of us so when she could not get it she ended up going too far.” Siwon points out. “but either way I still blame donghae.”

“yup me too sounds better that way.” Henry nods agreeing.

“Yah! What the heck? Do not blame just me for your convenience.” Donghae complains.

“Blaming donghae does sound nice doesn’t it?” kyuhyun’s voice mixes in with the conversation.

“fine, but I dealt with it ok. A little late but yoona is switching schools now.” Donghae informs the others.

“you do know that hyukki is not going to be as easy to deal with?” sungmin tells donghae. “actually I am still mad at you so I am not helping you either.” Sungmin turns his back and storms off. Donghae just stares awed watching kyuhyun follow sungmin. Kyuhyun looks back and mouths ‘good luck’. I will talk to hyukki when he comes home tomorrow. Donghae tells himself.

Thursday after school:

Donghae comes through the door and hears sounds in the room he looks up to see the TV on and a familiar head of red hair sitting on the couch. Hyukjae was told, forced, to rest by sungmin so he has not been to school and instead at his uncle’s house. Donghae knew he was coming home today but did not know what time. Hyukjae does not even spare donghae a glance and instead ignores his presence altogether.

“can we talk?” donghae approaches hyukjae slowly not wanting to anger him even more. Silence.” Fine I will talk so please listen.” He takes a deep breath. “I already said I am sorry and I know that cannot fix everything but I really do feel horrible about what happened. It was my fault. That does not change anything I know but please give me another chance. I will make sure to trust you from now on no matter what” Donghae blurts out in one breath. Hyukjae sighs but continues watching the TV as donghae moves closer. “hyukki please” donghae begs. Hyukjae glares at him and stands up walking away. Donghae stumbles after him. “wait. Wait come on say something.”

“what? What do you want me to say donghae?” hyukjae stopped moving facing donghae. “that I am pissed. That you should have listened to me, you want me to trust you but you have no faith in me.” Donghae freezes looking down breaking eye contact.

“I love you hyukki. I know I am an idiot and that you hate me.” Donghae says weakly.

“I never said I hate you.” Hyukjae scoffs looking away. Donghae looks up with some hope in being forgiven. “I just do not believe you now.” Those word hit donghae where it hurts. A moment of silence follows.what should I say? come on donghae say something before he walks away. MAN UP!

“I swear if I hurt you again you can throw me out instantly.” Donghae says with complete seriousness. “I will not even complain.” Hyukjae does not say anything for a few seconds then moves to stand before donghae.

“fine.” Hyukjae says and donghae instantly beams a smile. “really?” donghae asks. “yes but-“ donghae’s smile falls when he feels a painful hit to his stomach. He lurches forward grabbing it. “I will beat you and throw you out.” Hyukjae adds his hand still in a fist by donghae’s torso.

“I th-thought you said y-you could not hit me.” Donghae exclaims in pain holding his stomach. Damn he hits hard!

“yeah…I got over that problem.” Hyukjae answers honestly without much expression. He watches donghae who finally stands up straight and walks into the kitchen mumbling about hyukjae punching him and grabs an ice pack. “I have cracked ribs how do you think I feel?” hyukjae pouts.

“then should I take care of you until you heal?” donghae has a sly smile on his face as he walks to hyukjae.

“are you mocking me?” hyukjae raises an eyebrow. Donghae hugs hyukjae gently resting his head on his shoulder. ”no, never... thank you again hyukki for giving me another chance” donghae says his voice slightly muffled. Hyukjae hesitates but hugs donghae back. “you better not mess up again. I really will hate you then.” I have not fully forgiven him but it is a start.

Donghae pulls from the hug his eyes meeting hyukjae's. “I promise I will make sure to not make the same mistake.” He pauses. “also I really do not want to be hit by you again it hurts like hell.” Hyukjae rolls his eyes. “what a crybaby..” he mumbles. Donghae smiles and pecks hyukjae quickly on the lips. “I’ve missed you.”

The rest of the night donghae practically pampered hyukjae. Until hyukjae got annoyed and told him to he can take care of himself. Donghae then sulked until hyukjae cuddled with him, the best he could considering he is still injured.

A few weeks later:

Hyukjae has fully healed and the rumor has pretty much disappeared. Hyoyeon is still mad at donghae for hyukjae getting hurt and makes sure to punish donghae by keeping hyukjae to herself when she is around making donghae pout and sulk, much to everyone else’s amusement. Siwon and hyukjae are on better terms now they even talk to each other from time to time. Siwon came to realize hyukjae really is not a bad person he just gets caught into bad situations it seems. Sungmin finally went back to speaking terms with donghae after a few days, understanding it is not completely his fault what happened.

The school year is coming to an end.

During lunch:

“finally this year is almost over I will be a third year then only one year left cannot wait.” Henry says excitedly.

Kyuhyun will be a second year student. Henry, Hyukjae, siwon, donghae, and sungmin will be third years. Heechul, hangeng, and hyoyeon will be seniors.

“oh right donghae I heard you are going to be captain of the soccer team. congrats.” Sungmin congratulates donghae.

“hannie is going to be the captain of the dance team too.” Heechul announces happily. Everyone congratulates them both.

Everyone seems happy that the school year is almost over so they can move to the next grade except one person.

“why do you not seem so excited to be moving up a year, hyukjae?” hangeng asks.

“I am it is just-“hyukjae’s sentence trails off.

“I can answer that.” Kyuhyun smirks. “it is because of freshmen.”

“what do you mean?” everyone looks at kyuhyun then hyukjae questionably.

“because right now most of the students leave hyukjae alone for a few reasons; one, he is short-tempered and they know he can fight, two, he has donghae, and three, his uncle owns this school. The students that are here know this.” Sungmin points out and everyone nods understanding.

“however, new students do not know this and will bother hyung until they learn their lesson or maybe they will have heard about him and be afraid to approach him.” Kyuhyun ends the explanation.

“ahhhh” everyone voices understanding and look at hyukjae. “must be tough” henry looks at hyukjae with sorry eyes.

“no just annoying” hyukjae replies uninterested.

“either way we get a break soon from school.” heechul smiles. “I can’t wait.”

“heechul-hyung you really do not do anything at school anyway hangeng-hyung does most of your work why do you need a break.” Donghae laughs at heechul when he gives him a glare.

“you are just jealous because you still have to come for soccer even during break.” Heechul sticks his tongue out at donghae who just makes an annoyed face back.

Time went by really fast. I just pray no more problems will pop up. Donghae watches hyukjae as he talks to sungmin. Everything will be fine I am sure. A new school year and a new start.