FIVE

Don't you remember?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

FIVE

 


“Hello, good evening,” Daesung starts after nervously tapping the side of his glass in order to gain everyone’s attention. He heaves a relieved sigh when everyone turns to face him in an instant. I’m not surprised at all, of course people notice him immediately.


“For those who don’t know me, I’m Daesung.” He’s trying his hardest to calm his nerves as he glances to his side; it’s like he’s looking for something, or someone to make him feel at ease.


“I’d like to thank all of you for being here today, especially those of you who knew I’d be saying a few words. It’s very touching that you still decided to come.”


Some people chuckle and Daesung’s shoulders relax.


“If you have a mobile phone, please leave it switched on; keep yourselves entertained.”


The woman on his side playfully pushes him. I roll my eyes. I get it, Daesung gets it, we all get it. You think he’s funny. Jiyong notices my annoyance and he nudges me. He shoots me a stern look. I answer it by focusing back on Daesung while doing my best not to acknowledge that woman’s presence anymore.


“So this is the part of the evening where I am supposed to give a speech that insults and embarrasses Youngbae-hyung. I did first prepare such a speech, and here it is.” He shows a small piece of paper, and somewhat glares at it.


“But Youngbae is my hyung, and I don’t even want to know what’ll happen if I go for my first draft, so I wrote another speech which is much kinder.”


Youngbae raises one eyebrow as if he’s trying to warn Daesung, but it comes of more lovingly than intended.


“Now before I get started, I just want to say that I did ask Youngbae if there was anything I couldn’t say, and he said no. So Haejung, this is really his fault.”


He lightly bows his head in Haejung’s direction, who bows back in an amused manner.


“By the way, I’d like to point out that Haejung looks absolutely radiant today; every bit the beautiful bride. As for Youngbae…”


Daesung’s eyes shift from the bride to the groom, and he disappointedly shakes his head.


“At least he tried.”


Even though I’m doing my best not to pay attention to the woman next to him, when she reaches for his hand, the monster inside my chest is screaming to be let out.


“I first met Youngbae when I started out as trainee with my fellow members of BIGBANG. For those who can’t remember the eighteen-year-old Youngbae, it isn’t that hard to imagine. He’s had the same haircut up until a couple years ago, and he still has that same little smile. Anyway, we instantly clicked and quickly became very close friends. I think Haejung will definitely agree that meeting Youngbae is one of the best things that can ever happen in one’s life. So Haejung, congratulations.”


The young bride flashes a huge smile while looking at her husband. She’s happy for sure.


“I still remember the day Youngbae-hyung came home all excited. He was hardly able to hold down because he couldn’t contain his joy. He wasn’t able to form coherent sentences for hours, and when he finally could, he told me in a whisper. ‘I met a girl today, Daesung-ah,’ he said to me. I smiled, and told him that was nice. He then shook his he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter