Chapter 16 - Breathless

Broken Promise

You turn your head around, hoping that you would see Chunji, smiling teasingly at you, but you see a cold-faced Zelo, with a worried expression. Automatically, without a thought in your messed up mind, your hands wrap around his torso, and you hug tightly onto him. Even if you couldn’t dare for more from him, you couldn’t help it. You were that weak. You are an idiot.

“I-I’m scared...” you admit to him.
“Don’t be like that. I’m sure we’ll get out in a few hours, or tomorrow at its latest.” he assures you with a steady voice. You look at his face, which was no longer innocently laughing, but with a ice-cold piercing glare. You bury your face in his chest and start sobbing. I miss you, Zelo. I still love you...
Soon, you both sit next to each other on the ground, facing the same direction, with words wanting to be said, unsaid. Lost words. Unexpectedly, the air conditioner begins to operate, which soon turns the room into frozen wasteland. You wrap your arms hopelessly around your body, cradling yourself, desperately seeking for the sensation of warmth.  

Zelo seems to be doing the same thing. Even if he looked much more mature than he used to look, he still gave you the impression of a lost puppy. Despite the bone-chilling temperature, you take off your jacket and wrap it around Zelo. You drag the zipper all the way up to the collar, and you smile at him. You tug on the collar for the last time and pat his head as if he really were a puppy. Maybe this was the only way you could show him how precious he was to you. Zelo, I’m so sorry.

Your eyes are still puffy from the tears, and you joke to yourself that you’re glad you cried before the air conditioner , otherwise your tears would freeze to icicles. Your exposed arms are so cold, you can’t even feel them anymore. Chunji, where are you?

Without warning, your breathing starts to become abnormal. At first you ignore it, thinking that it’s just a cold, but every minute that passes, it becomes harder to breathe. In the span of 3 minutes, your lungs are practically begging for air, and you become more and more desperate every breath you take. You were having an asthma attack. Where’s my puffer? You scan the room in panic, searching for the thing that will save your life.

Zelo looks at you, frightened and anxious for what you were doing. You tried to remain as calm as you could, but you guess it didn't work, because Zelo stood up and grabbed you by the arm.
“Pu-puffer...” you managed to say. In the pocket of your jacket. You sink to the ground, your hands gripping tightly onto the fabric of your shirt. You feel as if you were being buried alive. Every time you opened your mouth, it was like someone was blocking your throat. As if someone were ridding you of the right to breathe. Zelo immediately searches the room and scans for your puffer, yet he doesn’t realize that it’s sitting peacefully, right inside your jacket.

You lie painfully on the ground, feebly attempting to point to your jacket. The pain is unbearable, yet you manage to drag your arm up to point towards the general direction of your jacket pocket. Soon enough, he realizes, and he brings the puffer to you, with misery and worry written all over his face. You breathe in, satisfying your beaten body to the sweet relief of oxygen, and you close your eyes. I never before realized how grateful I am for air.

“Yah, I could’ve died of a heart-attack!” angrily yells Zelo at you.
“I could’ve died because of you, idiot!” you yell in reply.
“I was so worried.” he says, abruptly pulling you to his warm arms.
“I miss you so much.” you confess say to him.
“I’m so sorry,” he repeatedly apologizes. “I’m so sorry.”
“I’m more sorry.” you say sadly.

He grips you more tightly in his arms, and he holds your face close to his.
“Please don’t forget I’ll always be here, waiting for you.” he repeats. He kisses you softly on the forehead.
“For a girl who had just experienced an asthma attack, you have managed to take my breath away even more.” you say to him. Little did you know, Chunji was sitting outside the gym, leaning on the doors, with a clenched jaw, unable to control his violent tears.