Chapter 7 - B.A.P

Broken Promise

After class you both eat your packed lunches.
“Wah,” you exclaimed, amazed. “You have meat?” You drool over the smell and watch as the smoke from the sizzling of the meat fill the air.
“Hehehe, delicious?” he mocked as he teasingly waved his fork in front of you.
You stare back at your food. Salad. You cry in your head.
“Aish.” you growled in frustration.
“Ahhhh,” says Chunji.

You open your mouth, expecting to be fed meat, but instead your salad is shoved in your mouth. Surprised, you spit it out and Chunji starts laughing his head off, and everyone in the class joins him. Your face turns red as you stomp out of the room and go to the canteen, ordering pizza. As you wait patiently in the line, someone taps you from behind. You turn around and you see Zelo.

“Ah! Zelo, hi!” you say happily.
“Let me treat you!” he says.
“Eh,” you say, unsure. “I don’t want to inconvenience you...” Deep inside, you want to be treated with food.
“No, come with me!” he insists, grabbing your wrist and pulling you from the line to his table.
“Welcome Madeline, these are my friends, and we call ourselves...” he begins.
“The B.A.P!!!” they all yell in unison.

You laugh, interested in their strange group name. They all sit around casually, cooly, all looking matured and like fully fledged bachelors, and then there’s Zelo, the obvious maknae, who made irresistibly cute aegyos just for you to sit in their table.
“Open wide~” says Zelo as he holds a spoon filled with meat to your mouth.
You blush, embarrassed as he waits for you to open your mouth. The moist taste of hot meat enters your mouth, with a sensation of different spices and marinates. You sigh in satisfaction. Your heart beats faster and faster whenever you’re around Zelo, and your ability to breathe fades. It’s like you forgot to breathe.

Zelo looks at you, finding you incredibly cute, especially with meat stuffed in your mouth, making your cheeks look puffy, like a chipmunk that was choking. Throughout the entire day, you and Zelo spend time like this—anyone would easily mistake you as a couple. After all, it looked like a match made in heaven! Gossip started to spread around the school like a wave, yet you and Zelo were unaware, just innocently continuing your friendly parade through the hallways of the school.

His group, ‘B.A.P’ continued teasing him about how compatible you and Zelo looked, and you both turned red after making awkward eye contact. It was until then that you realized how crazy your heart beat around Zelo. He was wearing a blue varsity jacket which was a size too large for him over a simple, white shirt. With matching tight jeans, he was wearing some casual chucks on his feet. His cap, which had once been on his head, was on yours because he was worried that the sun was too glaringly hot today.

Coincidentally, you happened to be wearing a red varsity jacket as well, which was maybe the main reason why students who walked past seemed to be unable to take their eyes off you both. For the rest of the day, you banish Chunji from your mind, still pissed at him for making you the laughing stock of the class.

Zelo grabs your hand and takes you to the basketball court. Once you get there, he passes you the ball.
“Let’s play!” he yells as he runs to the center of the court. I haven’t played in years, you reminisce to yourself. You walk slowly to the center of the court, smiling evilly. I can definitely beat you though, I have been playing basketball for years.
He raises an eyebrow, returning you with an evil smile.
“Let’s have a competitive game. If I win, you do what I say for a day, and if you win, you do whatever you want.” he says quickly.
“Challenge accepted. Come at me, bro!” you taunt.

...

He lies on the ground, like a fish out of water, his chest rising and falling at a furious pace. You hear his heavy breathing and his occassional groans, and you smirk, raising an eyebrow.
“Aw, are you tired already?” you ask him teasingly in a tone of superiority, with your hands folded.
“Eh,” he manages to say, in between his breaths. “How can a girl be so fit?”
You pull him off the ground, and he stumbles.
“You said I can do whatever I want, right?” you ask him as he scratches the back of his head. Sweat was pouring from his forehead, whilst there was you, energetic and not so sweaty.
“Yeah...” he replies reluctantly.

“Let’s go out for ice-cream!” you exclaim. “I’ll pay it myself.”
“No, you’re a girl, it would be shameful for me to let you pay.” he reasons.
“Shh!” you silence him. “I can do whatever I want, remember? Your hands are tied.”
“Aish,” he exasperates, ruffling his hair. "Crazy girl."

As you your chocolate mint ice-cream, you skip along, and Zelo walks next to you. He is walking you home, despite your protests. He is tall, and yet such a tall guy can act so cute. When you arrive to the front of your gate, he bids you goodbye, and leaves. You run to your bedroom, unable to contain a sudden happiness that you find growing in your heart.