Chapter 8 - Crazy Love Coach

Broken Promise

“So, what do I do now?” you ask Chunji as you both walk to school, hand in hand. It was a bit strange, holding hands, even if you weren’t a couple, but it felt like the most natural thing in the world to do. You even had freaking matching shirts. Every student who walked past you whispered, gossiping about whether you and Chunji really were a couple.
“Do what?” Chunji asked curiously.
“Zel—” you stop, hesitating to ask him the question that has been ruling your mind for the past couple of days. He’ll probably bully you about it.
“Zel..???” he questioned.
“My heart beats super fast whenever I’m near Zelo...” you blurt out quickly, not able to keep secrets from your best friend.
“Eh???” he yelled.
“What about... what about when you with me?” he asks in a more serious tone. Why the sudden question?
“Whenever I’m with Chun-chun,” you start. “I feel safe and warm~”
He sighed.

“Did you forget?” he asks.
“Forget...?” you ask as a reply.
“Our ki—” he stops himself, thinking that you really did forget that you both kissed.
“Let’s get back to my problem, shall we?” you say.

Whenever you were around Chunji, your heart is calm, your mind is clear and your body is relaxed. Yet, it’s different around Zelo, who makes you feel as if you have been running a marathon. Then you wonder, is this what love feels like?

“I shall coach you!” he declares out of nowhere with his hands on his hips.
“C-coach???” you stutter in confusion.
“You like Zelo don’t you? There is no other explanation!” he blurts out loud.
“Shhh!” you whisper, covering his mouth. He bites your hand and you yelp, waving it in the air, and wipe his saliva on your shirt. Yuck.
“I shall teach your the ways of love~” he says dreamily, staring into the sky. “I am the ‘Love Coach’!”
“Aish, Chun-chun you weirdo!” you cry out.
You both laugh as you walk to school.

“I was serious,” he finally says as you both sit on the sofa at your place, eating chips while watching the television. “I really will help you.”
“You will?!” you exclaim, gratified.
“That’s what friends do right?” he says more quietly.
“Best friends,” you add. “Best friends, Chun-chun.”
For the rest of the day, Chunji remains silent.

As you lie in your bed, 9PM in the night, you stare blankly at the ceiling, thinking about Zelo. You see his face, laughing under the sunlight, and suddenly, you blush happily. I’m such a creep, you think to yourself, embarrassed by your wild imagination. Then out of nowhere, Chunji appears, close to your face, staring straight into your eyes.

“Eh, you look as if you’ve killed someone. Madeline, that’s creepy!” he says, indifferent with how close your faces are. You hit his face with a pillow.
“I was...” you say, searching for an excuse. “I was just—”
“Thinking about Zelo.” he says, smiling teasingly. He really does know me, huh.
You turn red the instant you hear his name.
“As your coach, mission one is...” he says. “Confession!”
“CONFESSION?” ALREADY?!” you yell so loudly that the entire house was filled with your voice. You cover your mouth.
“Shut up!” screams your sister next door.

“Tomorrow, you have to tell Zelo your feelings for him,” he continues. “How are you supposed to advance your relationship?”
“I can’t think properly anymore because of you!” you whine, throwing your pillow at him.
He smiles and hands you a game controller.
“Let’s just play games until midnight, like how we always did,” he says in a soft voice. “Remember?”
You nod, sitting next to Chunji, your shoulders touching, and you play until your body pulls you to sleep. I never forgot, Chunji. I still remember.