Chapter 5 - A Promise

Broken Promise

You cover your mouth in surprise. You stare for a while. You close the box and return everything to normal before Chunji comes back.
“I’m back!” Chunji yells from downstairs.
You try to seem as casual as you possibly can. You sit sloppily on the ground and look around whistling. Well done for acting unsuspicious.
“Madeline, why are you red?” he asks surprised.
“Uh, you took long! I’m starving!” you exclaim, changing the subject.
“You should eat less, my back hurt from carrying you, piggy!” he replies teasingly.

You both silently slurp on your instant ramen, and you look quietly at your soup, staring at the floating carrot blocks and the cut up pieces of meat that float on the surface. Chunji stares wonderingly at you.
“Is there something wrong?” he asks.
“Why?” you reply.
“You’re so quiet. Normally, your loudness would be the equivalent to loudness of fan girls in a concert.” he states, raising an eyebrow, suddenly suspicious of you.
“Ah,” you remember, in attempt to change the subject. Here we go again. “Don’t forget that we have an oral tomorrow. M-make sure you practice!”

You look at Chunji and he tries to smile, but he can’t. This was his one weaknesses—speeches. He would always get a E, mainly because he didn’t even go up to perform, or a D, if in the rare chance that he did perform.
“I don’t think I want to perform this year. I can’t be bothered.” he says, attempting to sound lazy. You see right through that facade of his.
“Don’t talk trash to your best friend. I know you’re scared. Wasn’t it your dream to become a famous singer? How are you supposed to perform if you can’t even talk?” you ask, suddenly pissed at him for lying to you. He can’t ever pull that off.
“They’re holding auditions this year. I’m going to do it.” he reveals to you, who also seems keen to change the subject as well.

After a long silence, you say: “I’ll be there. Supporting you.”
Suddenly, out of nowhere, Chunji kisses you on the forehead. His hand holds the back of your head, and for some strange reason, even if you only think of him as a best friend, in some way like a brother, you feel strangely comfortable. You smile and close your eyes, and for a while you stay in the same position.

Warmth spreads like a wave from the heat of his hand and his lips. Your bodies are so close, you can feel his soft hair lightly tickle your forehead. As if by instinct, your hand reaches to caress his face. Then, Chunji’s lips brushes against your cheeks, and slowly moves to your lips.

Your eyes widen. From there you start to turn red, and you don’t know how to handle what’s happening. Your vision goes blurry and everything goes black.

“Madeline, come and get me!” yells a 7-year-old Chunji, who sticks his tongue out.
You see a small girl run to Chunji, and they both chase each other under the shining sun. Soon they both fall tired, lying in the grass, staring at the clouds.
“I see a goat!” the small girl exclaims.
“I see a pirate!” yells Chunji.
“I see a cat!” she yells back.

“Yah, Madeline,” says Chunji. “When we grow up, can we still play chase again?”
“Sure!” the young girl replies enthusiastically.
“I can’t wait until we grow up.” he says.
“We’ll always be together, right?” asks the small girl.
“Always!” yells Chunji in reply.
“Always!” she screams out loud. “Promise me Chun-chun!!!”
“PROMISE~” he yells enthusiastically.

Their pinkies interlock, and the small girl smiles at the young Chunji, and then you realize that the small girl was you when you were younger.

Chunji POV:
Madeline suddenly falls, asleep in your lap. At first you were worried, then you came to the conclusion that she fainted and fell asleep. You carry her like a princess, and lay her gently on your bed. You pull the blanket up to her chin and gingerly kiss her forehead.

“Chunji...” says Madeline, sleep talking again. “Chunji, we’ll always be together, right?”
You smile sadly at her and think about your dream to become a famous singer.
“If I become a singer and pursue my dream, you do know I have to leave you right?” you say to her, even if she’s fast asleep. You find you hand fixing the hair off of her face.
“Always...” she murmurs. “Promise me Chun-chun.”
Tears flood your eyes and you hold tightly onto her hand. You shake your head and wipe your tears.