Chapter 11 - Without Wings

Broken Promise

Chunji POV:
“I shall walk you home now, Madeline.” you hear Zelo say, who holds Madeline’s hands. You have heard the entire thing. Although, even if you were her ‘love coach’, and even if you helped her, you didn’t feel like celebrating at all. You don’t know if you should hand your best friend over to some random guy. I can’t hand her over, what if he’s a bad person! He could just be acting, you convince yourself.

You stay back at school for a while, making sure that you walk far behind them, to avoid any awkwardness. Plus, they might suspect that you have been watching them from afar. As you walk home, the atmosphere is quiet, no longer filled with Madeline’s cheerfully loud voice. Your hand is cold, because no one is holding it, and you feel incredibly lonely, like someone has ripped a piece of you away. Like a bird without wings. What is this...?

You stare at your feet which moves slowly, and you glance beside your feet. There is no other pair of shoes that skip energetically around beside yours. There is no smiling Madeline next to you. You can no longer hear her breath near you, and you can no longer see your best friend. What is this...? This feeling I can't shake off. Your heart hurts, and you furrow your eyebrows, grasping your shirt. The ice cold wind blows roughly against your back, and her hands no longer brush against yours.

Suddenly, you don’t want to give Madeline away. You want your best friend back. Your walking pace quickly shifts into a desperate dash back home. You pant, looking frantically at every direction and suddenly you freeze. She stands waving at him, with a big smile, but with tears falling down her face. He stands there, with a sorrowful expression, and turns his back to walk away.

Why is she crying? What happened? Zelo, you bastard, what did you do? You see Madeline close the door and you run furiously towards Zelo. You tap his shoulder, in attempt to gain his attention, and when he turns around, you punch him hard on the jaw, causing him to topple backwards. Blood from his jaw trickles in small streams onto the pavement. You stare at your crumpled fist, shocked.

“Agh,” he tentatively touches his jaw, causing him to wince. His hands become stained with his own blood. He looks up, to see you with a mix of shock and anger. “W-why?”
“I knew it. I just knew it. You made Madeline cry, already!” you spit at him. “What did you do?! Tell me!!!”
“You pabo. (idiot.)” he says, simply after he gets up. “Find out for yourself.”

You both glare at each other for a long few seconds, and he finally turns his back on you to leave. You hear him breathe sharply from the pain. You look down at your knuckles, with small scabs which are bleeding as well. What have I done...?
As you walk back to Madeline’s house, again, you stare at your knuckles, which are still throbbing, red with blood. Without knocking, you burst into Madeline’s bedroom, who you find to be lying face-down on her bed.

“You are to tell me what happened. Now.” you commanded your depressed best friend.
“Ani. (No.)” she protested from her pillow.
“Yah, tell me.” you insist.
“Andwae! (I can’t!)” she replies.
“You have told me everything about you until now. What is it? Tell me or I’ll tickle you to your death.” you threaten, knowing all her weak spots.
“Chun-chun... Ani... (No...)” she begs.

You jump on her bed and you tickle her, resulting in a loud burst of laugher. After a long moment of torture, you see tears well up in the corners of her eyes and you stop tickling her. She sobs quietly on her bed. Immediately, as if it were your instinct, your arms find your way around her small body frame. You feel cold tears trickle down your neck. You hold her tighter.

“I want to forget everything.” she begins.

 

I'm so sorry for not updating! My laptop was banned! Oh the horror. Anyway, to make it up to you, I will try to update twice today!!! Thank you for bearing with me! (I'm such a mean author—love trouble between Zelo and you just after you confessed!)