Chapter 17 - A Dream

Broken Promise

A teacher bursts open into the gym, who finds you and Zelo sitting on the ground, sleeping. After a major hassle with parents, calls, safety documents and the like, Zelo offers to walk you home. Suprisingly, it was a warm day, maybe because you have been stuck inside a freezing hell hole for the past couple of hours. Then you wonder where Chunji was. Why would he invite me to the gym if he wouldn't be there in the first place, you wonder. A prank? Aish, fooled again.

...

It was almost just like before, you would chat endlessly about almost endlessly, and he would occasionally comment and laugh. Under the beaming sunlight, and the rustle of the trees, his laugh could still melt your heart. His smile made you genuinely happy, and his soft hands would brush against yours. For the next few days, it had become a habit for Zelo to walk you home, but you found that Chunji always stayed behind at school.

You both grew closer and closer, and even started holding hands. He started to become the Zelo you knew him to be—the one with so much aegyo, the one who would pout whenever you scolded at him, the one who begged you for food and would share you his food, the one who would exclaim out loud like a child, the one who would crack funny jokes that made laugh until your stomach hurt, the one who looked out for you at school, the clumsy, empty-headed one. The one you came to love.

One day, you arrived at your gate, but he didn’t let go of your hand like he usually would. Instead he pulled you closer to him, until all your vision could see was his smiling face under the leafy shadows of the birch tree planted in your garden.

He brushed his lips against yours. His kiss was soft, and light, and incredibly tantalizing. He gently caressed your face, which felt like feathers, so soft that it tickled your skin. You could feel your heart pumping ragingly fast, and you were both so close that you thought even he would hear your unmistakably loud heart beat. You cheeks went hot, and your ears felt like they were burning red. Yet even in this passionate action, you couldn’t help but compare Chunji’s and Zelo’s kiss.
You heard his heart, beating in the same pace as yours, and he walked off, blushing, trying to maintain his sanity. Even after Zelo left, his lips lingered on yours, and you pressed your fingers on your lips.

You glance out your bedroom window and you see Chunji, tossing his clothes into two suitcases. Where could he possibly be going without telling me? Completely forgetting about Zelo, you rush to Chunji’s house, running up the stairs and barging into his bedroom. You shover open the creaking door, and you catch yourself unbalanced.

“Yah, what are you doing?” you ask him.
“Eomma, (Mum,) you know she’s not supposed to be here!” he yells towards the direction of the stairs.
“Eh? Waeyo? (Why?)” you continue asking, growing more and more worried as the seconds pass.
He stops packing his things and he walks up to you. His hands rest on your shoulders, and you raise an eyebrow, confused.

“Listen carefully to what I say.” he says seriously. You nod, suddenly alerted by his serious tone.
“I have to move to Seoul.” he says. The word ‘Seoul’ echoes in your mind and bounces around your skull. I have to move to Seoul. I have to move to Seoul. I have to move to Seoul. I have to move to Seoul. I have to move to Seoul. I have to move to Seoul.
“You’re good at joking, Chun-chun.” you say this, denying his words. But deep inside, you know it’s the truth, but you can’t accept it. You wear a fake smile on your face and laugh lightly, teasingly shoving his shoulder. Can't be. He's pranking me again.

“I can’t lie to my best friend, you know that.” he says.
"Funny joke, Chun-chun." you lie to yourself.
"Mad-" he begins.
“You can’t break promises! You can’t! ANI! (NO!)” you yell at him.  
He reaches out to hug you, and he traps you in his arms. You looked pathetic, like a fish out of water. Struggling, struggling, unable to do anything else.
“You still have Zelo.” he whispers to you. His words break you.
“You can’t break our promise. You can’t, you can’t.” you repeat.

You hug him tighter, thinking that the tighter you hold on to him, there will be a lesser chance of him leaving. This is just a dream. It must be, because Chunji is crying. Chunji has never cried in front of me. This is definitely a dream. Your shoulder is wet from Chunji’s cold tears. The sounds of his sobs hit somewhere inside of you, a concentrated pain in your heart, and you try to control yourself.

“Mianhe, Madeline.” he apologizes in between his sobs. “Mianhe. Mianhe. Mianhe.”
You glance across your shoulder and stare at his clothes which lie messily on the ground.
“I’ll help you pack.” you say, releasing from his grasp. I will be here for you until the very end.

Silently, you both kneel on the ground, folding clothes and neatly placing them inside the suitcases. Your hear birds tweet their songs outside the window, and the sun casts shadows on your teary face. So, I’m not dreaming. The one I have loved all my life is leaving me.


Forgot to say this: Yesterday was Teen Top's 3rd Anniversary!!! Yay!!! Angels who are reading this, did you celebrate? I sure did, partying in my living room. This chapter is 'fo da Angels all 'round da world!