Chapter 5: Moonlit Affections

Sunshine and Rain

 

The two bickering twins continued their argument during the car ride to the restaurant where Jangmi’s father waited patiently for their arrival.A bottle of red wine sat in the centre, each seat appointed its own wine glass. Kwangmin took a seat beside Jangmi’s intimidating father with Youngmin on his other side. Youngmin’s shoulders were stiff, his eyes avoiding direct contact with Jangmi’s dad. Ever since they were young, Youngmin always managed to get on his bad side while Kwangmin was a perfect angel in his eyes.

            “Have you been waiting long?” Their mom asked politely, placing her purse on an empty chair. These fancy dinners were something they rarely got to experience due to their financial difficulties growing up. Now that they were well on their way to wealth, it felt nice to be able to live in luxury for one evening. Youngmin pulled on his tie trying to loosen its’ deathly grip around his neck but his hand was slapped away by his mother who gave him a cautious glare before he could accumulate breathing space.

            “No, you came at the perfect time.” He smiled, pouring her a glass of wine. Youngmin and Kwangmin were still too under aged to drink so they settled for cranberry juice, the ultimate beverage disguised as wine. Looking around, she noticed someone important was missing and asked,

            “Where is your daughter?”

            “My wife called moments before. They’re still stuck in traffic but they’ll be here shortly.” He replied as he passed each person a menu. Kwangmin remembered Jangmi’s disappointed eyes from earlier in the day and wondered how she would cope with seeing Youngmin again. She barely had time to sort things out in her head and she’s already being forced to see his annoying face again. The thought made Kwangmin force out a sigh, but then another intriguing idea entered his mind. If Youngmin’s face was annoying, then wasn’t his as well? They were identical twins after all. Kwangmin slapped himself mentally for thinking too much and shook his head.

            “What’s up with you?” Youngmin asked, eyeing his brother carefully as he sipped his juice in the wine glass. Thankfully their mom respected their denial of wearing the same clothes, especially at this age. Adults had a strange tendency for matching identical twins together—as if they weren’t already hard enough to tell apart. One major difference to help the untrained eyes identify their differences was that Kwangmin’s bangs went opposite of Youngmin’s. If people were observant enough they would be able to tell them apart with ease. The door to the reserved room opened and a waitress in formal attire stepped in, bowing with a circular tray in her hands as two people walked in. There was no mistaking that the taller one was Kim Jangmi, but it was hard to believe that the Jangmi that now stood before them was the same Jangmi from back at school. Now, with her hair done up in a slight wave and a bow accented light purple dress she looked as if she was the princess of Korea compared to her thick framed glasses and outdated striped turtle neck.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” The twins said in unison, standing up to greet them. Jangmi’s mom sat beside the twin’s mom and Jangmi sat between her two parents across from the twins. It seemed as if she was still having difficulty telling the two apart as her eyes darted back and forth between the two faces. Neither of them could take their eyes off her.

            “You look beautiful.” Youngmin complimented with a warm smile as he adjusted his tie again. Jangmi thanked him earnestly without saying his name. This was clear evidence she couldn’t tell which twin he was. Kwangmin immediately shot Youngmin a glare. How could someone be so bold as to hurt a girl hours before and still flirt without even apologizing?

            “You’re so bipolar.” Kwangmin whispered harshly; not obvious enough for the adults to notice their tension. Youngmin shrugged, sipping more of his cranberry juice.

            “It takes more than your petty compliments to win her heart back.” Kwangmin whispered again, only loud enough for Youngmin’s ears. Youngmin took this as a challenge and smirked,

            “We’ll see. If you can’t tell, she’s obviously still in love with me.” Kwangmin was now twitching at how conceited his brother was. How in the world could they be twins when they were polar opposites in everything they said and did?

            “Are you sure? Right now she can’t even tell us apart.” He rolled his eyes skeptically. Jangmi watched the two of them have their secretive conversation as she nodded in agreement to whatever her mom wanted to order. It was no fun to be left out of everything, nor was it fun to not know which twin was which. Without Youngmin’s crew to help make him shine, he seemed no different than Kwangmin. Other than the fact that their bangs went in opposite directions and one was wearing a tie and the other was wearing a bowtie, she couldn’t tell the difference at all.

            “Youngmin-ah stop drinking so much juice! You’re going to be full before the food even comes!” Their mom scolded Youngmin, pulling his glass away from him as well as the pitcher of juice. Youngmin made a pouty face and Kwangmin rolled his eyes. Jangmi clapped her hands together, feeling victorious now that she knew who was who.

 

            When dinner was over, the adults were still talking around the table while the ‘kids’ all agreed to get some fresh air and chat a bit. The moment Kwangmin stepped out of the restaurant he could feel a misty form of rain so they stayed under the extended roof to keep dry. Jangmi sat on the bench right outside the door just star gazing with a smug smile on her face when Youngmin decided to make his move. He sat beside her, pretending to look nervous as he stared at her expression. Kwangmin stood awkwardly three metres away just watching, hoping that Jangmi would be smarter than to fall for his superficial charms. Even she should know how shallow Youngmin was by now—there was no way she would fall for him again. Against the dim moonlight the gems on Jangmi’s hair piece shimmered and her dress glowed. Her pale skin contrasted nicely with the darkness of the night in a mystifying way and her smile only added to how enchanting she was.

            “Jangmi,” Youngmin said in a soft voice getting her attention immediately. Her eyes fell on his puppy like face; his eyes displayed nothing but his childish innocence.

            “Ne?” She responded in an even softer voice. She was obviously shaken from how close they were as her right hand held onto her left arm. Her natural blush became obvious under the moonlit night and through the silence he could hear her breathing grow faster.

            “Will you be my girlfriend?” He asked straight up. There was no explanation not did she bother to ask any questions. They were lost in a separate trance that was their heaven, and Jangmi couldn’t refuse. Nodding with the same warm smile she had on her face, Youngmin grew ecstatic and pulled her in for a hug. The moment they made contact, Kwangmin’s heart dropped and the misty rain grew into a strong rain shower. Droplets were caught in the gentle breeze, blowing slightly diagonally in the direction that Kwangmin stood. His white suit jacket became damp, the back of his hair now dripped rainwater. How could Jangmi be so mindless as to accept Youngmin after what he said? This was the rule of life for them—Kwangmin always finished last.

A/N: Here with another update!!~ I haven't been in a good mood lately... and When I'm down my only comfort is writing so you'll probably see me updating pretty often now. Please drop some thoughts about this chapter? Oh by the way, so far along in the story Youngmin's hair is not blond.