Chapter 7: Bad Ideas

Sunshine and Rain

 

            Jangmi sat beside Eungyo in Japanese class, silently listening to the professor as she stared out the window. The bright sunlight fell on her face and her eyes squinted at the brightness outside. Eungyo beside her was too focused on catching the vocabulary that the professor would quickly erase upon writing down.

            “Read pages twelve to seventeen for tomorrow. You have ten more minutes for silent studying before you’re dismissed.” He announced in Korean. The class erupted with relieved sighs and many pulled out their textbooks to get a head start.

            “What are you day dreaming about?” Eungyo asked, pulling on Jangmi’s long, brown ponytail. She grabbed her own hair and shook out of her trance, noticing Hyewon approach them.

            “Is that even worth asking? She’s thinking of my Youngmin.” Hyewon interrupted with her harsh voice, giving the two a disgusted glare. Her arms were crossed and her face was red with spite.

            “Give it up, Hyewon. Your little boy toy has been stolen from you.” Eungyo sighed, flipping open her textbook to avoid unwanted eye contact from their high school’s notable drama queen. Hyewon was enraged, slapping the textbook closed on Eungyo’s hand while keeping her hateful stare on Jangmi.

            “You knew Youngmin was mine. How could you be so low as to take him from me?” Hyewon continued her delusional interrogation, “From now on, we’re sworn enemies. Screw you, Kim Jangmi.” She lifted her hand from the textbook cover and marched back to her desk. It didn’t seem like her ranting was able to release any of the hot air in her head. Jangmi sighed, having never felt that Hyewon was a friend to her in the first place.

            “Have you even seen Youngmin today?” Eungyo asked in a quieter voice, shaking off the short-lived pain that the textbook cover had inflicted on the back of her hand. Jangmi shook her head, smoothing out a small fold in her skirt.

            “He skipped morning classes.” The boy Jangmi recently found to be named Hyunseong came up to them and informed her. He was wearing a red and black plaid shirt with a white T-shirt, his hair black and his stare, serious. It was probably his height that made people cower in intimidation, but after getting to know him briefly Jangmi found that he was quite the gentleman. In fact, the only person she never grew fond of in Youngmin’s group was Donghyun. His shallow attitude would take a lot of getting used to.

            “Why?” Jangmi asked, throwing her pencil and eraser in her pencil case and zipping it up. He shrugged,

            “He never told any of us. I guess we’ll find out at lunch. Oh,” Hyunseong explained and the suddenly pulled his phone out of his jean pocket. He rapidly pressed on a few buttons and then stuck it back in his pocket,

            “He just got to school now. He said he’ll wait outside the dance room.” Jangmi nodded, seeing that the ten minutes of studying had already ended and a quarter of the class was already lined up at the door. Eungyo followed curiously, ignoring the snarl that Hyewon gave them as they passed. She had to stay in class later as punishment for coming in late with only the pathetic excuse of her eye liner smudging to back her up. Hyunseong, Eungyo and Jangmi walked together with Hyunseong slightly at the front, leading them to the dance room. Jangmi spotted a boy about Youngmin’s height with bright blond hair that shimmered against the sunlight, leaning casually against the dance room’s door with headphones on. When they got closer, he turned around and smiled, walking right up to Jangmi and embracing her with a warm hug.

            “You skipped class your dye your hair?” Hyunseong laughed, messing up his new hairdo with his hands.

            “I had a spare first period anyway, no big deal.” He shrugged, never caring much for academics. Jangmi loved watching the guys interact with each other. Each unique personality made everything they did seem like some comedy show because nothing they did was ever predictable.

            “Wasn’t Donghyun with you?” Hyunseong asked, remembering Donghyun’s absence. Youngmin nodded, pointing to the boy down the hall walking slowly towards them with now bright red hair—similar to that of Eungyo’s. Eungyo’s eyes bulged open and she pulled her hood over her head. It was embarrassing to have matching hair with a shallow jerk.

            “So why the change?” Hyunseong finally asked, yanking the headphones off his head. Youngmin shrugged again, taking everything lightly as he explained,

            “I figured it would make distinguishing me from my timid twin much easier.” He pushed his bangs to the side and smiled. Jangmi had to admit she did still have problems telling them apart, but now with the change in hair color things should be much easier. Eungyo gave Donghyun a deathly glare as he passed her and she pulled Jangmi away with her. Youngmin never noticed that his girlfriend was being dragged away—he was too busy being flattered by the comments about his new hairstyle.

            “Let’s go visit Kwangmin.” Eungyo suggested, already heading towards the same isolate lunch table. As expected, he sat quietly by himself with a textbook opened. It didn’t look like he was eating at all.

            “Boo!” Jangmi smiled jokingly, grabbing Kwangmin’s attention immediately from his research papers.

            “Oh, aren’t you with Youngmin?” he asked more confused than he should have been and began looking around the cafeteria for his brother. Jangmi chuckled, shaking her head. She loved being with both the twins.

            “You should go back to him, he’s looking for you.” Kwangmin added, pointing over to Youngmin’s dance group entering the cafeteria. Youngmin’s hair was as bright as the glimmering sun in the sky, drawing more attention than ever. Minwoo looked like a side kick, running up to the insignificant crowd at Kwangmin’s table.

            “Oh? Your hair is the same as Donghyun hyung’s.” Minwoo pointed at Eungyo like a curious ten year old. Eungyo rolled her eyes, pulling down on his red cap as she hissed,

            “Shut up.” Her vicious personality only showed towards people she thought were too ignorant or oblivious for their own good. Minwoo fixed his cap and then laughed,

            “Sorry, Eungyo. Don’t worry I think you look better than hyung with red hair.” He smiled in a sincere way which was opposite to how people like Donghyun would flirt. Out of everyone in their little group, Minwoo never had a reputation for flirting even though many girls mistook his kindness and sincerity for affection. Eungyo gave him a sarcastic laugh and shrugged it off, not wanting to think much of his compliment.

            “What’s up, Minwoo?” Jangmi asked casually, getting up from the table. The moment Minwoo arrived Kwangmin stayed frozen in front of his homework, his eyes locked on the same page unwilling to look up. What was it about Youngmin’s friends that intimidated Kwangmin so much?

            “Oh right; we were wondering if you would like to hang out with us after school. You can come too if you’d like,” Minwoo finished his invitation with a glance in Eungyo’s direction. Jangmi turned to Eungyo, receiving a subtle nod and then turning back with a smile,

            “Sure we’d love to.”

            “Great!” Minwoo smiled, giving them both a wave before heading back to his friends. What Jangmi and Eungyo didn’t know was that they had planned to sneak everyone into a club with fake IDs’ made by Donghyun’s shady uncle.

A/N: Eek another bad chapter (In my opinion) haha. Hopefully the next update will be much more entertaining. I sort of rushed this because I had to leave very soon and wanted to update before I left ^^!