Chapter 15: Harmonious Coexistence

Sunshine and Rain

 

“What do you—“

            “Youngmin this is no time to be stubborn. We need you to take your moms car to the amusement park and bring Jangmi to the hospital.” Minwoo explained, speaking as fast as he can. Everyone was heating up with anxiety, and Eungyo was trying to hold Jangmi up with her arm over her shoulder. Kwangmin was still a temporary cripple which did little to ease the situation.

            “But—“

            “Hurry! She’s unconscious!” Minwoo urged, immediately ending the call. There was no way he wouldn’t come, right? The others weren’t sure but right now Youngmin was their only hope. Thankfully the amusement park was not too far from the hospital. Eungyo and Minwoo helped to bring Jangmi to the front gates while Kwangmin lagged behind, limping his way to the bench by the gate. He cursed himself for not staying in shape ever since phys ed. stopped being a requirement in school. The three waited anxiously, staring out into the parking lot not sure whether Youngmin would actually show up, but they had no room for doubt to fill in. Fifteen minutes after ending the call, their mom’s silver corolla pulled up in the parking lot, the parallel parking a bit awkward from Youngmin’s inexperienced steering. Minwoo and Eungyo quickly brought Jangmi over and hoisted her in the middle of the back seat, allowing Kwangmin to ride shot gun.

            He illegally sped down the roads to the hospital where they had more help getting Jangmi up. While she was being checked over by a doctor, the four of them sat in the waiting area hoping that she was okay. Kwangmin wuld never live it down if he knew he was responsible for giving her a concussion, along with her tinnitus. In fact, the injury might just make her tinnitus worse. He was beating himself up for it in his head.

            “Calm down, Kwangmin,” Minwoo insisted, hanging him an ice pack he picked up from a passing nurse. The area around the sprain on his ankles was swelling and red and the ice really helped him to calm down. Youngmin sat on the bench opposite of the other three, feeling like he didn’t belong. He rarely felt this way, but after what happened those weeks ago he didn’t feel so confident in himself anymore. He could only think that the tinnitus was his fault, and that was something that haunted him enough to keep his distance from her.

            “She was an idiot for liking me.” Youngmin admitted, barely loud enough for them to hear but they did. Minwoo never expected something like that to come from such a jerk, but maybe the weeks he had to reflect really did do something for him.

            “No kidding,” Eungyo snarled, still feeling impatient with him. Once a jerk always a jerk—that was her policy. He rolled his eyes, turning away. He was in no mood for Eungyo’s attitude, but Kwangmin wasn’t so willing for a topic change.

            “After all this time I still don’t understand why you harassed her like that.” Kwangmin accusingly voiced, putting the ice pack on the floor and slipping his sock back on. When he thought about it, everything Youngmin did was just stupid and unnecessary.

            “Tch, nado molla.” Youngmin inferred, sensing the sibling tension grow between them. Why had they never gotten along? Why did it always have to feel like even though they were identical twins, they were different and opposite in everything they said and did. Youngmin had no problems admitting that Kwangmin was the angel, the intelligent smart child that everyone loved, but it still bothered him. He hated being so undermined, knowing that his twin was better than him before they were even old enough to prove anything of themselves, and feeling the need to draw some attention to turned into this overrated jerk wad. He didn’t want to admit that envy was the source of how he became so spoiled, but he could come up with no other solution.

            “It , that it takes something like tinnitus to make me realize how inhumane I was.” Youngmin sighed, covering his face with both palms in embarrassment. He was the one that did this to her—his first love, and he had no idea how to make it up to her. All the thoughts of revenge in him disappeared. All he wanted was to see Jangmi smile again. He wanted her to forgive him, but something like that was easier said than done. He knew she didn’t expect an apology. He also knew that Kwangmin had been waiting for her for over eight years. If he had any heart for his brother he would not be ignorant enough to steal her away again—not that he could.

            When the door opened, Jangmi was the first to step out with the doctor following. She immediately headed over to Kwangmin who impulsively gave her a hug. It was so unlike him, but Youngmin had forgotten that he wasn’t the same old timid Kwangmin as before.

            “Her collision with the ground was too gentle to have done any real damage. Her fainting was a side effect of her medication.” The doctor explained, scribbling a note on a memo pad and handing it to Kwangmin who he thought was her boyfriend.

            “Take good care of her and make sure she doesn’t get too much sunlight or it’s bound to happen again.” He gave his final warning and then left back to his office. The other two swarmed around her, relieved that she was okay and offered to buy her something delicious at the bakery just across. The hospital had many windows built all around, allowing natural light to give their building a warm feel. Today, despite the slight presence of the sun, there were rain clouds lingering about, occasionally covering the fiery glow of the distant star.

            “Kwangmin, I’m sorry.” Youngmin apologized after debating and reflecting for about a month now. To someone who was glued to him practically 24/7 and had to put up with so much of his crap, he really owed an apology. For letting whatever it was turn their once healthy brother relationship into this, he wanted to punch himself. He considered getting Minwoo to do that later, but decided that it would be going too far.

            “Shouldn’t you be apologizing to Jangmi?” Kwangmin questioned, not giving Youngmin the reaction he wanted. Youngmin shook his head, earning a glare from Kwangmin.

            “I mean I do, but I have to apologize to you too.” He defended. He stood next to the window, the sun’s rays bouncing off the strands of his golden hair, making him slightly blinding to look at. A pillar had casted a shadow over Kwangmin, the usual setting for them. Kwangmin was always in the shadows while Youngmin always shone brightly, earning the attention and praise of everyone he came across. Little did Kwangmin know that this was not what youngmin wanted; not anymore.

            “Why?” Kwangmin mused, curious as to what epiphany his punk brother had. He glanced past Youngmin to see that the rain clouds caused a gentle rain shower outside. This was a rare occurrence—to have the sunshine and rain out at the same time. In their entire seventeen years of living, they had only come across a date like this once before when they were younger. This was back before Jangmi came into their lives and back before they were old enough to care what anyone thought of them. All they wanted was to play carelessly, shooting each other with water guns like the foolish seven year olds they were. That was probably when their relationship was the strongest, when they both took the blame for everything they did, when they stood up for each other even though they had little understanding of what justice was, when they laughed together at the silliest things. As they grew up they started becoming different; polar opposites. Ever since then the sun and rain and never crossed paths, like how Kwangmin always buried himself away when Youngmin and his friends were around. Youngmin smiled, answering his question with a metaphor familiar to both of them,

            “Because I know that it’s not impossible for the sun and the rain to coexist in harmony.” 

A/N: And this marks the end of Sunshine and Rain! Thank you to everyone who read until the end ^^ I'm sorry if it's a little rushed... I'm just really excited to start my upcoming fanfic (which I have not posted yet) titled Roses are Red starring Jung Yonghwa and Park Shinhye. If you're interest please stay tuned and keep and eye out for it ^^

Kay I understand Kwangmin didn't exactly get the girl in the end, and Minwoo and Eungyo didn't officially end up together but you all know the pairings haha. This fanfic was actually revolving around the tension between the two twins, which explains why it's titled Sunshine and Rain. I don't always like to base my stories purely on love, because there's other imporrtant things that I can make a story out of too. In this case, it's sibling relationships. Hope you enjoyed my short fanfic of 15 chapters ^^

Na do molla - I don't know either