Chapter 2: Neglect

Sunshine and Rain

 

            Kwangmin slowly strolled along the sidewalk, his every step causing a gentle ripple in the puddles as he tactfully dodged worms that squirmed aimlessly n his way. The sky was so clear of clouds yesterday that he found It too hard to believe that he was now walking in the midst of a rainstorm. Though in reality, ‘down the street’ wasn’t considered to be far, with heavy winds forcing against him it felt like an eternity until he reached Jangmi’s front door.

            “I should’ve brought an umbrella…” He mumbled crankily, pushing his soaked bangs out of his eyes and adjusting the strap of his backpack on his shoulders. He rang the doorbell twice before it finally opened, and out walked Kim Jangmi. At first glance, she didn’t look particularly stunning. There was no tragic ugly duckling to beautiful swan transformation like he had anticipated the night before, but he had to admit that she did get prettier.

            “Ah Youngmin Oppa! Sorry to keep you waiting!” she apologized politely, pushing a loose strand of her wavy brown hair behind her ears and closing the screen door. Kwangmin nodded, remembering that he was supposed to be ‘Youngmin’ every morning and began walking towards the school, not caring how the raindrops awkwardly splashed against his face. After a few steps, he completely forgot that she was behind him until the rain stopped dripping onto his head. He looked up to see a pink umbrella over his head.

            “You might catch a cold if you stay in the rain like this.” She warned with a warm smile, taking her place beside him on the sidewalk. He turned to stare at her for a few moments. Her face matured, but her eyes and her smile were still the same. He could name a classroom full of girls that would be considered more attractive than her, but for some reason, he never took an interest in any of them. It seemed ironic that she even remotely cared whether he caught a cold or not, because back when they were nine years old she didn’t. She left him at the beat down playground, his thoughts terrorizing him as he cried alone in the rain. Ultimately, he caught a cold.

            “Kwaenchanayo,” he sighed, pushing the umbrella closer towards her and speeding up his pace so that they weren’t side by side. Though he was supposed to be acting like Youngmin, the fact was that he wasn’t, so he had no idea how to behave. Jangmi lagged behind him confused, holding the handle of her umbrella close to her body as she whispered her thoughts soft enough to not be heard past the raindrops rapidly splashing into the puddles on the concrete,

            “He doesn’t seem like himself today…” She remembered Youngmin never felt fond of rain, and back when they were younger he was always the one terrified of thunder and lightning. Perhaps he was just in a bad mood because of the weather. Kwangmin continued his fast pace towards the school, not sparing even one glance backwards at Jangmi. He wasn’t being ignorant because she wasn’t pretty, but rather because he knew that she wanted to be with Youngmin—not him. Girls wishing to date Youngmin all had one thing in common; wishful thinking. Because Jangmi wasn’t a stunning teenage goddess, it was even less likely that she’d attract the attention of the school’s all-star, Youngmin. Kwangmin wasn’t sure if a childhood history would be enough for Youngmin to want to be around her, after all, he wasn’t even willing to pick her up today.

            “Youngmin Oppa,” Jangmi called from behind several times before Kwangmin realized he should respond. Turning around to face her at the school gates he casually asked,

            “Is something wrong?” She shook her head immediately and smiled,

            “Can you show me around the school at lunch?” Kwangmin had no idea how to respond. She would find out he was lying eventually, and Kwangmin hated lying the most. Thanks to his arrogant twin brother, he’s been finding himself doing much of that lately though. An excuse suddenly filled into his head.

            “I… have dance practice during lunch today.” Kwangmin remembered, turning back to rush into the school. Jangmi followed after him, forcing her umbrella shut and shaking the excess droplets off onto the cry mat the moment they entered the school. Despite being soaked in rainwater, Kwangmin rushed down his respective hallway to the science department, leaving a wet trail behind him from his soggy sneakers.

            “Science? Eomeonim told me Youngmin studied history and literature…” Jangmi mumbled confusedly, pulling out her crinkled schedule from a pocket in her backpack. She read the room number several times to memorize it and began trying to find her way around. Her first period was Japanese, and upon entering the hallway filled with classrooms for language courses, she saw someone familiar pass by her amidst a group of other outgoing and handsome seniors.

            “Kwangmin? He can’t possibly have changed that much…” Jangmi murmured, catching a glance of Youngmin’s smiling face as he high five’d Minwoo, surrounded by his usual crowd. She remembered Kwangmin to be the quiet twin, the one who seldom had a reason to smile. Was it possible that they switched personalities while she was gone? Shrugging it off, she entered her classroom and greeted the teacher. He sent her to a seat near the middle back beside a napping girl with a similar hair color to hers. Jangmi’s ruffling in her seat caused the girl to wake up. Though she was yawning, it was evident that she was one of the prettier girls in this school.

            “Are you new here?” She asked softly, performing a light hair flip as she did. Jangmi nodded, holding out her hand for a hand shake.

            “Annyeonghaseyo, jeoneun Kim Jangmi imnida.” She introduced, shaking the girl’s hands.

            “That’s a pretty name. Call me Hyewon. By the way, you can drop the formalities.” She winked with aegyo. Jangmi nodded, pulling out her Japanese textbook. This class would be a total breeze for her considering the years she spent abroad in Japan for such a long time. Her dad was so worried she would forget Korean after being away for so long and made a Korean-only policy for speaking at home, but even so, her Japanese was quite commendable. After half an hour into the lesson, Hyewon looked as if she was being bored to pieces. Knowing that the teacher wouldn’t care for conversations at the back of the class, Hyewon decided to find out more about Jangmi. Of course, the information she sought was completely for gossiping purposes.

            “So, do you have your eyes set on any guys in this school yet?” Hyewon asked excitedly in a hushed whisper. Jangmi turned to her and shrugged, debating whether she should tell Hyewon anything.

            “Girl, don’t hide it from me. A shrug is a yes so spill it.” Hyewon demanded, making a pouty face as she leaned closer to Jangmi’s desk. Sighing, Jangmi whispered,

            “Jo Youngmin,” and Hyewon in response, gasped so loud the entire back half of the classroom turned around to glare. Waving an arm in apology, Hyewon turned back to Jangmi and shot her a glare of her own.

            “I know you’re new and all so you don’t know this yet, but Youngmin is completely out of your league. Don’t even bother.” Hyewon discouraged, receiving a chuckle from another girl sitting in front of Jangmi.

            “Hyewon’s just depressed because Youngmin rejected her in front of the entire school yesterday.” She explained, holding a pencil over her ear with a sly smile.

            “Shut the hell up, Eungyo. It was just a misunderstanding.” Hyewon disagreed, crossing her arms in defeat. Jangmi watched the two argue and grew tired. Sighing, she rested her head on the desk and scribbled random Japanese characters on her note book. Her blue pen spelled out ‘どうして君を好きになってしまったんだろう?’and the curious Hyewon peeked over, attempting to read it.

            “Doue… Something… Something… Something… shimattan darou?” She muttered in immensely broken Japanese. Jangmi grinned, remembering that the class hadn’t finished learning all the Hiragana letters let alone Katakana and Kanji.

            “What does that mean?” Eungyo asked, turning her notebook towards her as she analyzed each character.

            “Doue kimi wo suki ni natte shimattan darou?” Jangmi replied in fluent Japanese. There was nothing awkward about her accent at all. The teacher’s sudden loud voice brought back the three’s attention as he announced the daily homework and dismissed them. Jangmi took her time shoving her notebook back into her backpack as Hyewon dashed out of the room, proclaiming something about meeting Youngmin.

            “Don’t grow too fond of her. She’s seriously bad news.” Eungyo warned, helping Jangmi zip up her pencil case with a kind smile. Eungyo was pretty on her own level, but compared to Hyewon she would seem almost insignificant. The one thing that caught Jangmi’s attention was her bright red hair. Was she some sort of gangster rebel?

            “Thanks,” Jangmi smiled, receiving her pencil case from Eungyo’s hands.

            “It’s unfortunate that you haven’t even spent a day in Namnyeo high school and you’re already labeled as one of Youngmin’s toys. Don’t worry; I won’t judge you for it. Just don’t be surprised if he rejects you hard when you confess.” Eungyo sighed in a typical manner, waiting for Jangmi to leave the classroom with her. Jangmi thought back to this morning when she walked ‘with’ Youngmin to school. The aura he radiated didn’t make him seem like anything the two girls had described, and this is what confused her the most.

            “What class do you have next?” Eungyo asked, intending to help her find her way to the classroom.

            “English,” Jangmi answered, glancing at her schedule that poked out of her pocket.

            “You really have a knack for languages don’t you?” Eungyo joked, leading her to the English hallway. They browsed down the hall eyeing the numbers on each door until they found the matching room number.

            “Good luck. Youngmin’s in that class.” Eungyo smiled, patting Jangmi encouragingly on the back before leaving with a wave.

            “I’ll find you at lunch, okay?” She offered, receiving a grateful nod from Jangmi before leaving. Jangmi stared at the closed wooden door that read ‘English’ and took a gulp. She turned the knob slowly and pulled the door open, walking in to see one of the twins seated at the back surrounded by a bunch of guys who could be assumed to be troublemakers from first glance.

            “Welcome to the class, take a seat beside Minwoo at the back,” The teacher smiled in Korean, pointing a ruler at a boy with a red hat at the back. Jangmi assumed he was the one named Minwoo and quickly took a seat beside him. After she sat down, she took the time to stare at the twin sitting in the back corner. The moment their eyes locked, Youngmin knew it was her. She was Kim Jangmi, but what could he do? She sat at her desk fiddling with a few pens in a striped turtleneck, her hair pulled up into a messy bun as she muttered English words to herself awkwardly. What could Youngmin do? His friends all followed his stare to the girl sitting beside Minwoo, and even Donghyun with the red hair made a gag face. 

A/N: More characters introduced in this chapter ^^ More members of BOYFRIEND and 5DOLLS, woo (:! I hope it wasn't too confusing to read. Jangmi calls them by opposite names because she doesn't know they're the other twin, but the narration uses their actual names. I hope that made sense x.x! Anywho, when she calls "Youngmin Oppa" it's actually Kwangmin. ^^ Hmm... I hope this isn't really boring, the plot is still developing in my head.

Kwaenchanayo - It's okay

Annyeonghaseyo - Hello

Jeoneun Kim Jangmi imnida - I'm Kim Jangmi

Doue Kimi Wo Suki Ni Natte Shimattan Darou? - Why did I end up falling in love with you? (DBSK song! ^^)